BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone explain the purpose of this research?

I'm not sure why we need so much research on bosun-higgs particles or why they are important
View Quote
The Higgs field gives all particles mass, and thus is one of the main reasons we exist. The Higgs particle is the quanta of the field, proving its existence. All of the properties measured so far conform beautifully with the standard model prediction given its mass. That means we have an adhoc way to explain the basic building blocks of the universe, but we don't know why they are ordered the way they are, or why they have the properties they do, especially mass, or why there's more matter than anti matter, or why there is this stuff we call dark matter covering so much of the universe, etc. So we try to learn as much as we can about the fundamental components, so that one day we might actually be able to say with some certainty that we know where the universe came from and what the meaning of life is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Higgs field gives all particles mass, and thus is one of the main reasons we exist. The Higgs particle is the quanta of the field, proving its existence. All of the properties measured so far conform beautifully with the standard model prediction given its mass. That means we have an adhoc way to explain the basic building blocks of the universe, but we don't know why they are ordered the way they are, or why they have the properties they do, especially mass, or why there's more matter than anti matter, or why there is this stuff we call dark matter covering so much of the universe, etc. So we try to learn as much as we can about the fundamental components, so that one day we might actually be able to say with some certainty that we know where the universe came from and what the meaning of life is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure why we need so much research on bosun-higgs particles or why they are important
Where the universe came from is an interesting question.

The meaning of our life is not defined by the medium it is painted with. You are looking for the meaning of the Mona Lisa with chemical composition analysis.

The meaning of life is your will. It is both the journey and the destination.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The meaning of our life is not defined by the medium it is painted with. You are looking for the meaning of the Mona Lisa with chemical composition analysis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one here has said anything about the meaning of life.

The building blocks upon which life and all else exists and how the Chinese will fuck it all up is the topic.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What could go wrong
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The building blocks upon which life and all else exists and how the Chinese will fuck it all up is the topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The post I quoted commented on the meaning of life.

I wish the ChiCom bastards luck. Either they'll teach us something or they'll waste a big fuckload of their money. Win/win.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Joke all you want.

They were at the forefront of technology for eons.
View Quote
2000 years ago.
Now...not so much, besides what they can steal from societies that actually innovate.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
We better than yurpeons !
We burd rarge hardon corrector 10 time size, we show dem, we tire of being carred smarr dick country, we huge dik we show you !!!

FUK U wit YOU #3 FRY RICE, WE FUKING SHOW U !!!!

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
wont work without an oscillation overthruster
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#9]
So, all the hours I spent playing every release of Half-Life is coming to reality?

Awesome.

Seriously USA has lost the edge in some research areas. In some, we still rule. But our innovation is waning (from a career jaded but retired early nerd).
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]
What will this do that the LHC cannot do?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think they can do this? Build and operate it successfully? I don't see it happening. CERN has enormous downtime due to relatively minor issues. I can't imagine the Chinese building and operating something 5x larger.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you think they can do this? Build and operate it successfully? I don't see it happening. CERN has enormous downtime due to relatively minor issues. I can't imagine the Chinese building and operating something 5x larger.
View Quote
They've built a massive foundry for doing "the biggest" continuous steel castings.  Why?  I don't know.  But central committee commanded it, so mote it be.

They've built or are building the largest big presses (like 80k tons or more).  The US considered building some big ones to replace our 50k ton presses and decided there was no advantage to it.  The 50k ton jobs do everything we need.

They build entire cities... that no one lives in and crumble from neglect.

Why do the Chinese do what they do?  They're still mired in (literally) retarded command economy.

I'm not a subject matter expert here so I'd love to hear what our literal higgs boson expert has to say on this... but my gut feeling is that China is grabbing headlines, national pride, etc... for no good cost-effective reason.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What will this do that the LHC cannot do?
View Quote
Spend ChiCom money?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Want Cthulu?   Cause this is how we get Cthulu
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Joke all you want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. They already have quantum stealth and quantum radar. How can America even compete?
Joke all you want.

What eons are we talking about?

What technology?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking forward to the inevitable LiveLeak video of some Chinese technician getting his foot caught in it and getting zapped.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Nazis going back in time
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The starter hole is half dug

eta Pic here

On a related subject it took me changing my line of work to become friends with Roy Schwitters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't the US have a particle collider that is half built, IIRC in texas.

eta Pic here

On a related subject it took me changing my line of work to become friends with Roy Schwitters
The article says that the US cancelled the Texas collider in order to fund the International Space Station, but we know it was to fund welfare and useless wars in the Middle East.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Classically idiotic communists. You would have thought that the lessons imparted by the failure of the USSR would have been learned by now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#20]
He Chinese can even build a fucking housing complex correctly to within specs and they want to build a Collider? BWAHAHAAHAHAAA I see this coming to fruition in 2320, maybe.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#21]
So this is how we go out huh.... Knew it would be something eventually.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the particles are so small, why does the tunnel need to be so big?
View Quote
Their magnets are not strong enough to make a ring smaller.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Will they also have a Chinese version of Gordon Freeman?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]
largehardoncollider.jpg
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
or to put it another way, proving there is no god.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

eta Pic here

View Quote
I live right on top of that. A tunnel section is about 2 miles from my house; some of the smaller access buildings are still there, IIRC; and the big HQ was finally bought by a chemical company.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#27]
What are the benefits of having bigger Hardons?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was at CERN when they first proposed this. They've been doing their best to steal people away from CERN, but only having luck with Chinese nationals as far as I can tell. The 2 biggest issues they are going to have is getting the people who are capable of designing and building a machine like this to leave CERN, and the fact that although they have money and desire right now, their demographics and thus their economics are not moving in the right direction for this kind of multi decade project.
View Quote
Even more reason for them to try.

Do it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm going with this.  Didn't understand about half of what was written, but with a username of MrHiggs, gotta go with it!
View Quote
Don't believe anything he says, he doesn't know shit.

Someone should call him out on his lies.

The last time someone did, it was fucking glorious.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What are the benefits of having bigger Hardons?
View Quote
Ask yer boyfriends ...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
These  fuckers are going to oopen a porthole to anohter dimension that will bring a reign of fuck and hell upon us.
View Quote
They'd accidentally open a portal, step through, and immediately start trying to sell the aliens cheap crap.

Aliens: It's the Chinese! There goes the fucking neighborhood.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Doesn't the US have a particle collider that is half built, IIRC in texas.
View Quote
We also have a collider in Batavia Illinois. Fermilab. Very cool place, when I was in college I worked there building particle detectors.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Demons gonna be jumping out of that mofo when they fire it up
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Will we all black out and have dreams of our futures when the turn it on?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CERN has almost zero downtime during a run cycle. Where are you getting large down times?

Only time will tell if they can actually build it and run it. They're going to need help. CERN has treaties in place with dozens of countries which guarantees them funding and cooperation. It's really hard to do this stuff without that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe it's fairly easy to argue that the meaning of life or ones interpretation of it is strongly influenced by their perception of the world and the universe. Change perception and you are going to change why some people think we are here. Look to history to see how that's changed from say, the dark ages, to now.

That's all philosophical, so it's not a real science.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So what have we gained by having the LHC?

Did we find new technology or inventions from this giant machine?
View Quote
Well, we learned that the mass of the Higgs boson puts it in unstable territory, and so some day the entire universe will dissolve at the speed of light and we will never know it has happened and nothing will survive, not even the elementary particles.  All of existence is pointless.  Night-night sleep tight, honey.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We also have a collider in Batavia Illinois. Fermilab. Very cool place, when I was in college I worked there building particle detectors.
View Quote
Ever do any research on hybrid rocket engines?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll bet they developed that tech allllll on their own.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#41]
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#42]
In before it doesn't work
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems sorta unnecessary to me.

What do they gain by having their own particle collider?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#44]
WHO HAS THE BIGGEST DICK ERR COLLIDER
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#46]
You want a Chen Anomaly?

Because that’s how you get one...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Joke all you want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. They already have quantum stealth and quantum radar. How can America even compete?
Joke all you want.

Yes, back before technology became, well, really technical.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The real question is why didn't they just put the whole thing on a treadmill?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the particles are so small, why does the tunnel need to be so big?
The real question is why didn't they just put the whole thing on a treadmill?
Does the treadmill have magnets?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Do you want Event Horizon?
Because this is how you get Event Horizon.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Imagine Harbor Freight building a LHC.  What could go wrong....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top