But it is still a Chrysler.
FPNI

Engine might be great!

Weird electrical problems will occur!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The low end torque isn't there.  But, if you're not towing or hauling heavy loads, it works fine in a WK2.

That ZF trans behind the engines makes a nice bump in performance, tho.
View Quote

Lots of unfortunate bias against the 3.6L Pentastar.  While the published numbers make it seem a low torque engine, the reality is it pulls great and accelerates much faster than people realize along with being an awesome performing engine.  I have pulled a 3000+ lbs trailer (water tank) behind my 2019 Grand Cherokee with zero problems and even on steep hills it does just fine.  This is with a water tank sloshing some also.  The engine has 11.3 to 1 compression ration yet runs on regular gasoline.  The exhaust tone at idle, even with a stock single exhaust, is rather deep.  The engine is used all across the vehicle platforms including 4x4 pickups and of course the GD beloved Wranglers.  It's far from a "minivan engine" and in the Grand Cherokee it puts out about 295hp, I believe about 310 in the Ram.

Only on GD would an inline 6 be a "cool" engine and people aspiring for it.  Just like those wanting base model white pickups with manual everything and rubber floor covers.  I predict dropping the Hemi will cost Chrysler sales regardless of the performance of the inline 6.  The V8 Hemi has nostalgia and a cult following that no straight 6 has unless its grandpa in overalls with the 3 on the tree.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Not only is the I6 legendary in the old Bog Three engines, BMW and Mercedes used them and almost all commercial truck engines are straight sixes. It’s a superior configuration to a V6 due to its superior balance and lighter but stronger bottom end. They sound good too, albeit not like a V8. They’ll be faster than the V8s too, except the supercharged ones. I’ll miss the V8 too but for anything but sound the 6 is going to be better.

@guntoter
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aside from all the head issues .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it is still a Chrysler.

You say that, but the 3.6 v-6 is a very reliable motor.  It's been around for a decade and has an excellent reputation.  It replaced another good motor, the 4.0 I-6.
Aside from all the head issues .

0.5% of engines from 2011 to 2013 production had a chance of failure from failed valve seats. That probably amounts to about 70,000 engines considering how many they made up to that point. They reached 1 million produced by Jan of 2012. Chrysler gave these engines an extended 10-year 150,000-mile warranty. Total production is around 12 million engines at this point. It is a crazy reliable, mass production engine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Slant Six vs Hellcat

1961 Dodge Lancer slant 6 vs 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top