Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I really want to cross the Drake Passage and visit Antarctica.  

That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They're giving 15% off discount coupons for their next cruise.
That will make it right...right?

As if you would ever get most of those people back on any cruise let alone a Carnival cruise ever again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are there cruises that are more selective for a higher price, say, $5k a ticket?

Yes. Our last cruise was 16 days through the Panama Canal on Celebrity.

Celebrity is not the glorified "booze cruise" that Carnival is. It is much more about luxury and personal attention.

The effect is going to an all-inclusive luxury resort that travels from place to place. It is very neat to wake up with a different view from your hotel balcony every morning.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have no small arms on board they would have one fuck of a time keeping me, and other capable men, from commandeering a fucking launch and bugging the fuck out.

As if I would be dumb enough to put my family on a fucking floating McPlayland in the first place.

Cue the "Whoa, we got a tough guy here" .jpg.

Like he would bug out into the middle of the ocean without any seafaring knowledge - yeah, that'd be much safer.

In any survival or emergency situation, identification of the drama llamas is paramount.  It is rarely difficult though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They're getting towed.  Any other solution would take longer than it will to tow them to port.
BTW, I would never take a cruise on a ship named for this guy...

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or at least air dropping in more water & food?  I know they probably don't exactly have a spare empty cruise ship in the neighborhood, but seriously, WTF.

Just another example of another disaster where folks are left to (de)fend for themselves.  Sad.

Costs too much money.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Hows the poop situation?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They're getting towed.  Any other solution would take longer than it will to tow them to port.

BTW, I would never take a cruise on a ship named for this guy...

http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2010/01/triumph_insult_comic_dog.jpg

Lolz!

In the morning, in the evening, ain't we got fun!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As if you would ever get most of those people back on any cruise let alone a Carnival cruise ever again.

Oh, I don't know about that.  While I wouldn't sail on the Carnival Triumph anytime soon, what with the poop smell and all, I think I'd give the Carnival Lord Of The Flies a go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
imminent danger of suffocating, burning, or drowning to death, the smart course of action, 99 times out of 100, is to stay on the ship.

Apparently when the power went out, so did the ship's stabilizers, and it's been listing.  I'm not sure if they said generators were brought on board to run critical ships' systems.

Most ship-to-shore communications from passengers ended on Monday when their cell phones died and they were unable to re-charge them.

Last word was they had little or no food or water, and raw human waste was floating down the hallways of the ship.  People on board were hoarding what food was available. Some went without.

The ships stabilizers are a nice to have but not a need to have.  Basically they keep it from rocking so much that people get sea sick.  This is not a critical system.

The ship is PACKED with food  so I seriously doubt they are starving.
As for the human waste I have a feeling that is being blown way out of proportion and is probably caused by idiots who think the toilet will flush with ten pounds of toilet paper when there is no power.

Transferring people at sea is difficult and dangerous, unless the ship is sinking or on fire transferring 4000 people to another ship is not only not feasable but its not safe.

Not anymore, the ship is long overdue from the approximated time it was supposed to be at sea.  They don't bring 3 extra weeks worth of food for all passengers on board just in case.  That's why the other cruise ships have been transferring food and water, they simply don't have any left.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
imminent danger of suffocating, burning, or drowning to death, the smart course of action, 99 times out of 100, is to stay on the ship.

Apparently when the power went out, so did the ship's stabilizers, and it's been listing.  I'm not sure if they said generators were brought on board to run critical ships' systems.

Most ship-to-shore communications from passengers ended on Monday when their cell phones died and they were unable to re-charge them.

Last word was they had little or no food or water, and raw human waste was floating down the hallways of the ship.  People on board were hoarding what food was available. Some went without.

The ships stabilizers are a nice to have but not a need to have.  Basically they keep it from rocking so much that people get sea sick.  This is not a critical system.

As for the human waste I have a feeling that is being blown way out of proportion and is probably caused by idiots who think the toilet will flush with ten pounds of toilet paper when there is no power.

Transferring people at sea is difficult and dangerous, unless the ship is sinking or on fire transferring 4000 people to another ship is not only not feasable but its not safe.

Not anymore, the ship is long overdue from the approximated time it was supposed to be at sea.  They don't bring 3 extra weeks worth of food for all passengers on board just in case.  That's why the other cruise ships have been transferring food and water, they simply don't have any left.

My point being is that they aren't starving, they are recieving food be it from internal stores or transferred from another ship.  Not to mention the human body can go a significant period of time without food.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have no small arms on board they would have one fuck of a time keeping me, and other capable men, from commandeering a fucking launch and bugging the fuck out.

As if I would be dumb enough to put my family on a fucking floating McPlayland in the first place.

Cue the "Whoa, we got a tough guy here" .jpg.

Like he would bug out into the middle of the ocean without any seafaring knowledge - yeah, that'd be much safer.

Wouldn't be safer, but it would be fun to point and laugh from the ship.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure the coast guard (and the ship owners) wouldn't take kindly to the random commandeering of the emergency life raft/skiff''s  when its not an emergency.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The food problem is largely due to a lack of refrigeration.  When the engines went out, the ship lost just about every electrically-dependant system.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder how many of these weenies are going to sue Carnival.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, Ok, EVERYBODY REMAIN CALM!

So...now they've got live pics of the passengers via news CNN copter...and the passengers are not YET in LORD OF THE FLIES mode, although they still have nearly 12 hours until towed into dock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of these weenies are going to sue Carnival.

I would.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now the passengers are having to poop/pee in bags.  No electricity.  Sewage is backing up on lower floors.  

Sounds like a camping trip at sea.  I'm sure that passengers are pissed off.  But they're safe.  

Lots of lawyers will be awaiting for the passengers upon their safe arrival....

You're at sea. Time to use the poop deck.

Seriously, I'd hang my ass or wang off the side of the boat. Bon voyage, plunker!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Then the whole world would see that they do not have enough room in the lifeboats to cover the amount of people on the ship...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
photokirk and his wife are on the ship. They were so looking forward to going too.  

Damn, that should make for some interesting posts when he finally makes it back, recovers, gets drunk, and logs on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photokirk and his wife are on the ship. They were so looking forward to going too.  

Damn, that should make for some interesting posts when he finally makes it back, recovers, gets drunk, and logs on Arfcom.

Tagging for the story now.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wouldn't be safer, but it would be fun to point and laugh from the ship.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure the coast guard (and the ship owners) wouldn't take kindly to the random commandeering of the emergency life raft/skiff''s  when its not an emergency.

But that means that the Coast Guard would arrest you and take you home or at least to a ship with power. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are there cruises that are more selective for a higher price, say, $5k a ticket?

Celebrity is not the glorified "booze cruise" that Carnival is. It is much more about luxury and personal attention.

The effect is going to an all-inclusive luxury resort that travels from place to place. It is very neat to wake up with a different view from your hotel balcony every morning.

Yep.

My wife and I have cruised the Meditterranean twice with Royal Carribbean. Never once had a problem. Ships were spotlessly clean, the crews were incredibly polite and attentive, and the guests kept to themselves or were friendly.

We can't wait to go again.

Carnival, however, is off our list. It seems those idiots have fires, breakdowns, or other problems all the time, and the type of folks that seem to frequent Carnival are not the types we want to hang around with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heck, there are 'residence' cruise ships with everything from small studios, to 20,000 square-foot villas that you can rent or purchase. That is, if you can afford to spend $400,000 and $5,000/month on a 300-square foot studio.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How would you transfer 4000 people in the middle of the ocean?

Carrier. With helicopters.  Yea, this would be expensive, but it is actually good training for the Navy.
the other thing to remember is, if you can just get 500 people off, that would be a huge quality of life improvement for the remainder of the people.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Carnival, however, is off our list. It seems those idiots have fires, breakdowns, or other problems all the time, and the type of folks that seem to frequent Carnival are not the types we want to hang around with.

No love for Cathy Lee Gifford?

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#30]
My late wife's parent's are on that ship.  God help the poor souls within earshot of my mother-in-law.  If they put her on the fantail and pointed her mouth to stern, she could propel the damn thing halfway up the Mississippi River with her constant bitching.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Might be helpful if you tell us WTF you're talking about...

Thank God!!! i thought i t was just me that was clueless...
 Ouch...Sucks to be them...Now the question is, will carnival drop their rates to try to get people to sail, or increase them to try and make up the losses from the Brand Loyalty crowd???
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A significant portion of that food is Refrigerated/Frozen...if there's no power, then that stuff is going to thaw and quickly spoil.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ok, Ok, EVERYBODY REMAIN CALM!

So...now they've got live pics of the passengers via news CNN copter...and the passengers are not YET in LORD OF THE FLIES mode, although they still have nearly 12 hours until towed into dock.

http://video.foxnews.com/video-live-streaming.html

yup...that's a ship.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And along comes Dewey, Cheetum and Howe.

"Last word was they had little or no food or water, and raw human waste was floating down the hallways of the ship" QUOTE FROM ANOTHER POSTER

Why the fuck can't men at least piss overboard and if you have to $hit, use the in cabin Ice Bucket and dump it overboard. WTFO.

I guaranfuckingtee if I WERE ON BOARD, MY ROOM WOULD BE NEAT, I WOULD HAVE IMMEDIATLY HOARDED FOOD, WATER AND TOWELS
AND I WOULD SERIOUSLY BE PARTYING AND DRUNK OFF MY ASS.  ITS LIKE AN EXTRA 3 DAY VACATION!!!!!!!!!!

my exact thoughts.... Id be holed up in my cabin... smoking a ceegar

Def. going to pack emergency rations next trip I go on
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My late wife's parent's are on that ship.  God help the poor souls within earshot of my mother-in-law.  If they put her on the fantail and pointed her mouth to stern, she could propel the damn thing halfway up the Mississippi River with her constant bitching.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

(goes to check Facebook)
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I told him that yes, things may really suck now, but once you're over the trauma you will have an epic story that you can tell again and again until you're 80 years old. You won't remember a vanilla cruise, but you'll remember being part of this disaster.

Except with more poo running down the walls and onion sandwiches.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Shit and piss on the ground because people are using overflowing toilets, you are surrounded by a damn ocean, hang some sheets up and go in the ocean.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Now they're dead in the water again; tow line snapped.

Voyage of the Damned.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#43]
This is just a sample of how fragile our society is.  I'm sure Carnival has the planning for such an emergency but the passengers don't see the need to follow the instructions of Carnival.  So sewage systems are failing.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is just a sample of how fragile our society is.  I'm sure Carnival has the planning for such an emergency but the passengers don't see the need to follow the instructions of Carnival.  So sewage systems are failing.

Can you elaborate on that?  My understanding was that the sewage system is screwed by the lack of power - what instruction have the passengers been disregarding that contributed to its failure?

I don't think it takes a lot of smarts to figure out that if you can't flush the toilet, try not to shit in it. From what I've read, Carnival has plastic biohazard bags that you're supposed to poop into; not convenient for sure, but it's a hell of a lot better than overflowing toilets.

Sure, but in that circumstance the system has failed already; the passengers might be contributing to unsanitary conditions, but not the failure of the system.  I thought Keith was referring to something they did that actually prevented the system from fuctioning.

Ever lose power in your house?  How many times did you instinctively reach for a switch?  Same thing applies here.  

Those cruise ships are tall beasts  and subject to pitch and roll in seas.  To counter this, active stabilization systems are employed to restore comfort.  Without power and vessel speed, these systems don't work.  So there is a LOT of vomiting.  Pure misery.

The GoM isn't a peaceful sea.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit and piss on the ground because people are using overflowing toilets, you are surrounded by a damn ocean, hang some sheets up and go in the ocean.

I think a lot of people commenting in this thread have never been on a cruise ship.  Believe it or not, there aren't too many places on a ship - even from your cabin's balcony - where one can simply "go in the ocean".  Anyplace from which it would be easy to do that would also be a hazard for people falling overboard, and that's not something these ships have.

Hell, I could barely spit off my balcony on the Oasis of the Seas (Royal Carribbean) without worrying that it was going to blow back in to one of the decks below mine. There's no way I'd try to dump a bucket of piss over the rail.

Piss off the deck and have it blow back into your face.  Take a shower at the same time.  

I'm sure they could figure out something.  They would have to make communal bathrooms, clean it with pool water.  Piss in bottles and have people transport it to an area where it could be dumped off ship, dump it in a lifeboat. Maybe store shit in the jaccuzzi. I had to take craps in bags, that's not too bad but there is no excuse for urine all over the place. There must be a thru-hull fitting to convert into urinals.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Might be helpful if you tell us WTF you're talking about...

Yes this!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#50]
It will be a shitty job cleaning that boat up when it finally makes it back.  Imagine being on that cleaning crew.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top