Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't imagine Troy will have trouble finding another vendor. And I wasn't a bit surprised by Dick's announcement. They aren't Pro 2A, and never have been, except in those areas it adds to their bottom line.

Careful who you get in bed with.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My ex wife runs the local Dicks store.  We never talk anymore, but she did manage to send me a text and tell me how fucked up this was.  She has some really pissed off Customers.  Her store is hurting as a result.  We are in a fairly large pro gun community and word travels fast.  

Dicks can suck it

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what else to say here besides that I think Troy is a great company.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Dicks has seen my last dollar. They were never that much of a deal anyway. I was happy when they started carrying more than just hunting stuff I was happy that they seemed to finally be comming around --now they can go suck a bag of you know what's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My ex wife runs the local Dicks store.  We never talk anymore, but she did manage to send me a text and tell me how fucked up this was.  She has some really pissed off Customers.  Her store is hurting as a result.  We are in a fairly large pro gun community and word travels fast.  

Dicks can suck it

The CHS store?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm hoping this turns out to be another Penzoil/Texaco thing where Troy sues the piss out of Dick(head)'s and ends up owning their sorry asses. That would be the best way in the world to solve both problems. Change the name to Troy's and sell exclusively black rifles. With the bad blood those morons have created for themselves, they are not long for the retail world anyway. Troy could push them over the edge. Hopefully.

Wonder if Bushmaster and Stag also got the shaft from Dick's (so to speak)?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not being privvy to their contract or terms, but I can imagine it went something like this:
Cock's:  We want to sell a carbine, and want to partner with you to make it.  We think sales will be 5 per outlet initially, with 1 every two weeks there after per outlet.  We have 400 stores where we can sell this rifle.
Troy:  Ok, so we are looking at an initial order of 2,000 carbines, and then a monthly follow up order of 800 carbines after that?
Cock's:  Yes, sounds about right.  We'll guarantee the first 2,000 sales.
Troy:  Ok, but we need to ramp up production.  Can you guarantee an additional 6 months of orders, or an additional 4,800 carbines?
Cock's:  So, a guaranteed buy of 6,800 carbines at $750 each for a total of $5,100,000?  Sounds great!
Troy:  Yes it does!
Cock's: Now, how about accessories too?
Troy:  We've got you covered from rails, grips, stocks and magazines.  Your follow up accessory sales should be equally strong.
Cock's:  Let's do this!

That is all supposition on my part of course.  But prior to the panic buying after CT, you'd be hard pressed to find a distributor, even a really big one, willing to commit to big quantities.  Especially given how many other AR manufacturer options exist out there.

Generally speaking, when you enter into an exclusive agreement with a big-box retailer they want to lock out their competition for 3-5 years and price & volumes are negotiated.  There are often minimum volumes the retailer must buy [or pay for], and then expected volumes [what the manufacturer plans production to accommodate]. All manor of performance clauses could be included – My SWAG is Troy wants released from any contracts with DSG so another retailer can sell these products with DSG paying for any losses + harm to their brand.

Troy won the freaking lotto here.  They are getting paid.  If you read their statement carefully they are telling customers that prices are going to rise, and telling DSG to bend over.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Troy wanted to play with Dicks... it would be hilarious to see Troy take these to the Home Shopping Network! "Only 4 equal payments of $250! And if you call in the next 15 minutes we'll thow in not one, not two, but three pmags! But wait that's not all you also get this stylish case. But only if you call soon..." lol.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're dicks! reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And Troy have been pussies. And Dicks customers are assholes. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

Mega Epic post.

That's deep.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They're dicks! reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And Troy have been pussies. And Dicks customers are assholes. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

Mega Epic post.
That's deep.

Yep, balls deep in shit apparently...(and hilarious, too).

Poop thread.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Somebody let me know when we can get some of them there Cock-blocked Carbines.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

DSG did not contact or inform Troy of this decision prior to notifying the public.

<snip>

Best regards,

Stephen Troy
CEO & Founder
The Troy Group

Classy - huh?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
"Dicks"

bunch of cock knocking fuck-stains
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DSG can suck a fat one!! They recently opened several new stores here in the OKC metro. I walked into one. Walked back by the firearms section and promptly left the store never to return.

I did the same thing, neighbor.  

I also asked why they don't sell handguns and got the "well Dick's grandma lent him money to start this business and made him promise not ever to sell handguns as part of the conditions of the money lending" crap...which I learned of back in November.  It was on those grounds alone that I decided that business would never see a dollar of my money.  The events of December have completely solidified that stance for me.

They deserve to crash and burn in every possible way.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So many dick puns and euphamisms...

So awesome.

Quoted:
Is it possible for AR15 to team up with them and do a pre-order or group buy?  Seriously, we could buy up a shit ton of them.

I am officially 'IN' for anything like this that materializes.

I need an AR like I need a hole in the head, but I'd love to score a Troy rifle if only to say "fuck Dicks"

Me, too.  Totally watching for a sticky or tack on this later...
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Mega-fuckin-fail on Troy's part to put all their carbine eggs in one shitty retail basket.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Never mind the fact that there isn't one around me or that I have never stepped inside of one, but something about the place always made me leery of it. Now I see I have good reason to feel that way.

Fuck 'em along with Gander Mtn and Sports Authority.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mega-fuckin-fail on Troy's part to put all their carbine eggs in one shitty retail basket.

+1
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I am having a real hard time feeling bad for troy right now.

Let me see if I have this right:

1) Troy had increased their production ability to build the MOST popular rifle in the world right now.

2) They were locked in to having to sell them way below current market value.

3) Through no fault of their own they are now out of that contract and set pricing.

4) They already have multiple distribution avenues set up for their other products.

5) They have already announced there is no way they can match current pricing and that it will have to go up.

Tell me again where they got screwed? I would kill to have my business get fucked like that! They are in the most perfect position right now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#21]
http://troyind.com/

I don't see all the guns they have on hand for sale...

I bet my LGS would take 5 of the Dicks guns right now for a decent price.  Probably half the LGS across the country would if they were for sale.  They wouldn't be shipping them out by the pallet like they would have to Dicks but it wouldn't be one at a time either.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ima gonna steal the fuck outta that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

5) They have already announced there is no way they can match current pricing and that it will have to go up.

I think the pricing comment is more about the Black Friday $799 retail than Dick's everyday price, which I think was $1,100-ish.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Team America, fuck yeah!

(You do recognize the movie quote, yes?)
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Team America, fuck yeah!

(You do recognize the movie quote, yes?)

ROFL!!
I do now! I thought it sounded framilliar, but figured it was similar to one of the rants I have heard here.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Putting all your eggs in one basket.. dumb. Spending millions on one basket dumber.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At $800 I went in to buy a rifle for my wife. The Dicks on Long Island doesn't sell EBRs apparently. Fudd-guns and shotguns only.

They rammed a pallet jack into my car.

One in CT kicks you out of the hunting/gun section if you look to be under 18, that is funny to watch...and watch the local cops enforce...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted: But please note, Troy’s pricing to DSG was based upon volume sales. It is unlikely that pricing to any other outlet in the future will support the pricing granted to DSG. Troy understands the anger of certain DSG customers whose purchases have been cancelled – you got a great price from DSG. However, Troy, itself, cannot come anywhere close to offering the Carbine at the price DSG was offering it. DSG devalued and diluted Troy’s brand when it offered for sale the Carbine at a steeply discounted price during Thanksgiving week. As a result of the sale price set by DSG, DSG oversold and overpromised its inventory. Nonetheless, the current ill-will could have been avoided had DSG not terminated modern sporting rifle sales, promptly canceled overpromised orders, and forthrightly communicated with Troy.

Troy is hopeful that it will soon identify a new distribution channel for its Carbine. We ask for your patience and support during this difficult and transitory time.

Best regards,

Stephen Troy
CEO & Founder
The Troy Group

You guys seem to have missed this portion of the statement while making dick jokes.  Troy is pissed that his brand was diluted.  IIRC, the TROY rifle was $650, and some other EBR was $800 on black friday.  When I saw the ad, I thought, "Hey! Bargain basement tier 2.5 manufacturer rifle I can toss in the trunk!"

Sounds like troy is in deep with facilities, materials and laborers standing by to build without any outlet to sell the rifles.  With that much production capacity, they can't do onsey-twosey orders.  They need a large distribution chain to make their volume pay off.

Basically, their brand was diluted, their sales outlet and distribution chain was nuked, and their new adjusted price will be scorned by all of the non-captialists here on the board.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Troy should sue the fuck out of dicks.

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...I'll sue them for free if Troy calls me.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So many dick puns and euphamisms...

So awesome.

Quoted:
Is it possible for AR15 to team up with them and do a pre-order or group buy?  Seriously, we could buy up a shit ton of them.

I am officially 'IN' for anything like this that materializes.

I need an AR like I need a hole in the head, but I'd love to score a Troy rifle if only to say "fuck Dicks"

Ditto. Im in for one. Someone make a list and call Troy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DSG devalued and diluted Troy’s brand when it offered for sale the Carbine at a steeply discounted price during Thanksgiving week. As a result of the sale price set by DSG, DSG oversold and overpromised its inventory
Am I to interpret that Dicks used the Troy carbines as a loss leader? And when revenues did not meet expectations, Dicks used Newtown as an excuse to cancel money-losing backordered carbines?

I hadn't even considered this possibility.  But now that you mention it, highly probable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Troy should have known this was a danger with Dicks. They hate scary guns, always have. I think Dick's is still based in NY. I'll sue them for free if Troy calls me.
I like you, Penguin.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As far as press releases go, that one's pretty scathing.

No "unfortunate incidents", or "wish them the best", or "we understand their viewpoints."  Nope, it pretty much reads "Hey folks, we apologize but Dick's fucked us both royally and they can be encased in a dick-lined cube for it."

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, when you play the game of exclusivity, sometimes you win the prize of "loss."
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Hopefully it ends up called "Troy's" when he is done with them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Troy should sue the fuck out of dicks.

This

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:26:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted: But please note, Troy’s pricing to DSG was based upon volume sales. It is unlikely that pricing to any other outlet in the future will support the pricing granted to DSG. Troy understands the anger of certain DSG customers whose purchases have been cancelled – you got a great price from DSG. However, Troy, itself, cannot come anywhere close to offering the Carbine at the price DSG was offering it. DSG devalued and diluted Troy’s brand when it offered for sale the Carbine at a steeply discounted price during Thanksgiving week. As a result of the sale price set by DSG, DSG oversold and overpromised its inventory. Nonetheless, the current ill-will could have been avoided had DSG not terminated modern sporting rifle sales, promptly canceled overpromised orders, and forthrightly communicated with Troy.

Troy is hopeful that it will soon identify a new distribution channel for its Carbine. We ask for your patience and support during this difficult and transitory time.

Best regards,

Stephen Troy
CEO & Founder
The Troy Group

You guys seem to have missed this portion of the statement while making dick jokes.  Troy is pissed that his brand was diluted.  IIRC, the TROY rifle was $650, and some other EBR was $800 on black friday.  When I saw the ad, I thought, "Hey! Bargain basement tier 2.5 manufacturer rifle I can toss in the trunk!"

Sounds like troy is in deep with facilities, materials and laborers standing by to build without any outlet to sell the rifles.  With that much production capacity, they can't do onsey-twosey orders.  They need a large distribution chain to make their volume pay off.

Basically, their brand was diluted, their sales outlet and distribution chain was nuked, and their new adjusted price will be scorned by all of the non-captialists here on the board.

Cabela's, BassPro, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Wally World would be good places for Troy to start.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Troy should have known this was a danger with Dicks. They hate scary guns, always have. I think Dick's is still based in NY. I'll sue them for free if Troy calls me.

If anything, Dick's just handed Troy the most incredible gift Troy ever got.

If Davidson's, RSR, Jerry's and AccuSport haven't already offered at least $200 more for each unit, it's because they're trying to figure out if they can offer $300 more for each unit.

Troy has to wonder for not one second how they can sell all their SKUs for current market market value instead of that contract price. Imagine the guy who you contracted to buy your gold for $1,000 an ounce just told you he didn't want it and you can go sell it for the spot price at $1,660. This is what just happened.

And Dick's is honestly the dumbest bunch of motherfuckers walking the Earth. They could have sold the right to receive those rifles for at least $1,000,000 with little more than a phone call. Some planners at DSG should be looking for new work in a new field after they convinced everyone in the business world that they are so incompetent as to be unemployable even at the government level.

Wait, I got it!

You could sue for moral outrage because SportsSouth just offered a blow job to everyone at Troy if they sell them some rifles for more than the MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:30:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Troy is stupid as shit to align itself with that jokeof a company in the first place

Truth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Let me see if I have this right:

1) Troy had increased their production ability to build the MOST popular rifle in the world right now.

2) They were locked in to having to sell them way below current market value.

3) Through no fault of their own they are now out of that contract and set pricing.

4) They already have multiple distribution avenues set up for their other products.

Tell me again where they got screwed? I would kill to have my business get fucked like that! They are in the most perfect position right now.

They ramped up their production facility to meet the demand.  That's great short term but long term they have a significant risk of that model of firearms being banned and them being stuck with a productin facility that cannot produce anything.

Yes short term they will be fine but I would guess they sunk a ton of capital into this expansion and are now shitting britches
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:14:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I never liked Dicks much anyway...

Sucks for Troy, but I'm sure Academy or someone else would love to pick up on the deal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

They ramped up their production facility to meet the demand.  That's great short term but long term they have a significant risk of that model of firearms being banned and them being stuck with a productin facility that cannot produce anything.

Yes short term they will be fine but I would guess they sunk a ton of capital into this expansion and are now shitting britches

Everyone else learned a lesson from WalMart during the 1990s. If you plan your business on the basis of supplying one buyer, you are at his mercy and you are going to get screwed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
to everybody saying group buy - do you not remember the 2005 SEBR fiasco? I doubt anyone wants to relive that.

You do know that's why he site got an FFL, and owns a retail shop now as well? Not saying thy should o this, but they are in a much better position to do it now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Breach of contract lawsuit forthcoming?

I hope so.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Force majeure?

No; Dicks made a voluntary business decision to cancel delivery and to discontinue future sales, it was definitely not "an act God".
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:18:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pissed off Penguin Alert!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Angry lawyer bird FTW!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top