BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mandela is a hero and freedom fighter instead of a communist terrorist and murderer . Good Hollywood public relations go a long way.
View Quote
Oh man, didn't see that too much in movies but it was hardcore mass media of the 80s.  They always left out how bad all the factions were to each other and everyone else.  Mandela won by media, while he was still in prison.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I am old enough to have noticed this change too.

When the older movies were made many of the WWII participants were still alive and the Germans were portrayed as a smart and formidable opponent; not as an evil cartoon character.

The victory is sweeter when your opponent is tough - seems to have been the message back then.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh man, didn't see that too much in movies but it was hardcore mass media of the 80s.  They always left out how bad all the factions were to each other and everyone else.  Mandela won by media, while he was still in prison.
View Quote

We don't talk about what percentage of the Rhodesian army was black and what the Communists did to them and their families when most of them stayed behind to try to get along with them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but as long as there are still people who are not so damn dumb that they use "German" and "Nazi" interchangeably, there is hope.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm trying to remember all of those Hollywood movies where Stalin and Mao are the villains.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know if Germany had a choice. The Weimar government was so weak by the end of it that had the Nazis not grabbed power, it's probable that Germany would have fallen to a communist revolt. Like it or not, to a lot of Germans, Hitler was actually a savior. The fanaticism would ultimately give way to an excessive pride that would prove to be their undoing, but it's easy to understand how the Nazis gained power when you look at the atrocious living conditions during the collapse of the Weimar republic.
View Quote

They had no choice really, it was Nazis or Commies as both held the majority of seats in the Reichstag.  The DNVP did the deal with the Nazis to stop the communists from taking over. They agreed to the appointment of Hitler with the caveat that their representative would be vice-chancellor to balance the power.  He was quickly outmaneuvered by Hitler though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I also find it strange how it's become more polarized than it was 50yrs ago.

My grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge and he always spoke with utmost respect for the german soldiers he fought against.
View Quote

Probably because the media/establishment/government keeps trying to demonize conservatives as Nazis.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
There were plenty of legit evil nazis.  

There were also plenty of Germans, even with nazi party membership cards that weren't all that evil.

It would be interesting to see a modern Hollywood take on the 1941-1942 western desert campaign.  That was a relatively clean business, including the germans trading synthetic anti-malarials to the English.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everyone loved Hogan's Heroes back in the day. Hard to understand why nazi's became vilified.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE4Mzg3OTgxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM0MDgxOA@@._V1_.jpg
View Quote
I think the example of things like Hogan's Heroes and other cultural examples show how America was learning to accept the past and move forward. It was a show on primetime TV, and at the time was only 20 years after the end of WW2. Almost all of the country had lost someone in the war, served themselves, or had a family member serve overseas 2 decades earlier.

Consider the concept: American soldiers in a German prisoner camp - and it was a comedy show!. But 20 years after WW2 the USA and West Germany had become allies and shows like this were entertainment. I am sure back in the 60's there were some Americans that this may have brought up negative memories, but on the positive side, it showed that we were collectively ready to put the past behind us, and that it was the right way to move on.

There are many other similar examples from the time. Today, there are groups that have weaponized history and used it to divide people, to keep us from being unified and instead keep people in conflict.

If you have wound, you let it heal, and accept that it happened. You don't pull the bandage off every day and aggravate it, and then wonder why it hasn't healed. Political groups have deliberately done this (instigate reminders of past aggressions) throughout history because it gives them something to rally about and use it as a source of power.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, sir. Please stop noticing things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder why the people who make all of these Nazi movies (well basically ALL major movies), never seem to make movies attacking the Bolsheviks of 1917?

Baffling, right?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, sir. Please stop noticing things.
Doctor Zhivago?

A Young Doctor's Notebook?

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
In WW2 we should have given less support to Stalin, to the level that Germany would have defeated the USSR and eliminated Communism, but to a level that Germany would have been weakened enough for the allies to then win the war.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Everyone loved Hogan's Heroes back in the day. Hard to understand why nazi's became vilified.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE4Mzg3OTgxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM0MDgxOA@@._V1_.jpg
View Quote

Everyone did not like Hogan's Heroes back then. It created a controversy.

My father (a man who kept his opinions to himself normally) would not watch it.  My dad was not humorless but I suppose WWII was still a strong memory for him and not a laughing matter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

VERY human monsters.

ETA: Nazis were absolutely evil. They’d have eliminated multiple groups of humans if they had won WWII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just saw "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" and was actually repulsed by how ridiculously evil the nazis were in that movie. Now compare it to an older favorite WW2 movie of mine, "Where Eagles Dare" and while the nazis are still villains they still seemed like actual human characters. Hollywood can't even make a movie like this anymore, it's strange how people who lived through WW2 didn't hate germans as much as today's generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ETf8GmXyu4

Something like that is done with an entire culture and region in the U.S.

When reality is uncomfortable we actively shirk and avoid it.

One of the most important lessons of WW2 is that the nazis were not demons or freaks. They were normal people who came to believe and do the things they did by a series of plausible everyday decisions.

But we are safe from thinking that if we lie to ourselves that "those people" were inhuman monsters, nothing like us.

VERY human monsters.

ETA: Nazis were absolutely evil. They’d have eliminated multiple groups of humans if they had won WWII.

Yes, they were.

They would have done what the soviets actually did.

The soviets moved around people and destroyed cultures and entire languages as a matter of course.

It's just that the nazis got stopped before they finally did it.

The problem of evil is a human problem.

The politics and the way we think simply affect how that problem will manifest.

Being default permissive or libertine puts no brakes on anything and heads towards anarchy.

Being default restrictive or controlling puts no brakes on the tyrannical impulse and heads towards complete dictatorship.

This is why we have to have true morals underlying these things, they need that extra dimension.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They had no choice really, it was Nazis or Commies as both held the majority of seats in the Reichstag.  The DNVP did the deal with the Nazis to stop the communists from taking over. They agreed to the appointment of Hitler with the caveat that their representative would be vice-chancellor to balance the power.  He was quickly outmaneuvered by Hitler though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if Germany had a choice. The Weimar government was so weak by the end of it that had the Nazis not grabbed power, it's probable that Germany would have fallen to a communist revolt. Like it or not, to a lot of Germans, Hitler was actually a savior. The fanaticism would ultimately give way to an excessive pride that would prove to be their undoing, but it's easy to understand how the Nazis gained power when you look at the atrocious living conditions during the collapse of the Weimar republic.

They had the choice.

They simply refused to make it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In WW2 we should have given less support to Stalin, to the level that Germany would have defeated the USSR and eliminated Communism, but to a level that Germany would have been weakened enough for the allies to then win the war.
View Quote

We arguably backed the wrong side in WW1. A Prussian Empire would not have tolerated their Russian cousins to be overrun by collectivist filth or at minimum would have guaranteed a victory for the White Russians.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's really hard to take these threads seriously after the past two years of Kremlin apologetics and derptastic threads with exaggerated handwringing about any perceived Nazi connection to any Ukrainian who dared resist the Communists in the 1930s and 1940s.  Yet, here we are, again suggesting it's just those "others" or those "Hollywood Leftists" who create these crazy caricatures.
View Quote

Lol, the Azov movement was heavy on the Nazi rhetoric and culture right up to the point they realized it didn’t play well with the international community.  They softened it into a bid that they were more like the Freikorps of Weimar Germany to gain support as NATO was refusing to arm and train them and multiple foreign intelligence services were classifying their members as terrorists, including our own FBI. The turning point was when Avakov resigned as interior minister.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Probably because the media/establishment/government keeps trying to demonize conservatives as Nazis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also find it strange how it's become more polarized than it was 50yrs ago.

My grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge and he always spoke with utmost respect for the german soldiers he fought against.

I have always seen this as borderline hilarious.

Wait, you're trying to say that the people who want less government and explictly want the government to QUIT being eugencist and race obsessed...

Are some kind of nazis?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They had the choice.

View Quote

Remember at the time of the election that brought the Nazis to power that Russia had already murdered millions of Ukrainians. Electing Communists over Nazis would have been like electing the Nazis after you knew they were doing the Holocuast. Hitler wasn't a dictator until he murdered more or less half of the Nazi party and claimed total control of the party.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Communists are way worse than Nazis. Something like a 100 million plus people have died at the hands of communism in the twentieth century alone. The fact we helped the soviets in WWII disgusts me. We should've took General Patton's advice at the end of the war and snuffed that menace out entirely, but we didn't, and Patton died a suspicious death and the cancer that is communism was left to metastasize into what we have today.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes sir. See my most above. People who have never been around someone that fought in pacific do not understand the level of hatred they harbored for the Japanese indefinitely.
View Quote

He was in the hospital once in his early 80s for a hernia surgery. Asia nurse comes in and everyone holds there breath. Papa laid right there and didn't say a thing. After she was gone my grandmother asked him about the nurse.

In a complete deadpan voice he said,"Shes South Korean, I like them. " grandma asked how he knew that without asking.

Deadpan again. "You kill enough of them learn to tell them apart"
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We arguably backed the wrong side in WW1. A Prussian Empire would not have tolerated their Russian cousins to be overrun by collectivist filth or at minimum would have guaranteed a victory for the White Russians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Realistically ....

Should we have backed any side in that war?

The whole thing was just stupid from what I can see.

Also, look at how wilson and that war hung us with the federal debt:

Fullsize:https://i.postimg.cc/HHKKHDVH/Booms-and-depressions-1775-1943.jpg?dl=1

Pdf:https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/docs/publications/1943chart_busibooms.pdf
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Remember at the time of the election that brought the Nazis to power that Russia had already murdered millions of Ukrainians. Electing Communists over Nazis would have been like electing the Nazis after you knew they were doing the Holocuast. Hitler wasn't a dictator until he murdered more or less half of the Nazi party and claimed total control of the party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had the choice.

I didn't say it was an easy or obvious choice.

I mean just what I said and not anything more:

They had a choice.

They didn't choose otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh....  You do know the Germans played a huge part in sparking the revolution, right?

They were trying it in Africa with the colonies as well, hoping to divert resources from the western front to quell rebellions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Realistically ....

Should we have backed any side in that war?

The whole thing was just stupid from what I can see.

Also, look at how wilson and that war hung us with the federal debt:

https://i.postimg.cc/HHKKHDVH/Booms-and-depressions-1775-1943.jpg

Fullsize:https://i.postimg.cc/HHKKHDVH/Booms-and-depressions-1775-1943.jpg?dl=1

Pdf:https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/docs/publications/1943chart_busibooms.pdf
View Quote

Recruiting Americans to fight for inbred tribals on any content has never worked out whether they be Arabs or Franks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lol, the Azov movement was heavy on the Nazi rhetoric and culture right up to the point they realized it didn’t play well with the international community.  They softened it into a bid that they were more like the Freikorps of Weimar Germany to gain support as NATO was refusing to arm and train them and multiple foreign intelligence services were classifying their members as terrorists, including our own FBI. The turning point was when Avakov resigned as interior minister.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really hard to take these threads seriously after the past two years of Kremlin apologetics and derptastic threads with exaggerated handwringing about any perceived Nazi connection to any Ukrainian who dared resist the Communists in the 1930s and 1940s.  Yet, here we are, again suggesting it's just those "others" or those "Hollywood Leftists" who create these crazy caricatures.

Lol. Thanks for proving my point.

Your even admitting the internal-Ukrainian politics is a far cry from the "Ukrainian resistance to Russia = Azov = Nazi" narrative that has been shoved down our throats for two years.

And this doesn't even touch on the Stalin era history and how it's been twisted, not to mentioning the growing popularity of interpreting every Cold War Asian and Latin American conflict through a Kremlin lens lately.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, but as long as there are still people who are not so damn dumb that they use "German" and "Nazi" interchangeably, there is hope.
View Quote

But that is one of the noticeable changes.  "German" has been completely replaced with "Nazi" when referring to WWII.

It is interesting and disturbing how fluid history is.  You see the change if you live long enough.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Uh....  You do know the Germans played a huge part in sparking the revolution, right?

They were trying it in Africa with the colonies as well, hoping to divert resources from the western front to quell rebellions.
View Quote

It was intended to draw resources not result in a collectivist state.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Japanese killed more and were more brutal than the Nazis.  For some reason very few movies have been made about their activities.  They instead get portrayed as noble samurais.  I think part of this is because the Nazis made for more engaging villains in movies and games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Japanese killed more and were more brutal than the Nazis.  For some reason very few movies have been made about their activities.  They instead get portrayed as noble samurais.  I think part of this is because the Nazis made for more engaging villains in movies and games.

From a box office standpoint, movies about the Pacific War don't do well. Letters from Iwo Jima, Thin Red Line, HBOs The Pacific. One theory is that audiences prefer the more inspirational stories from the European theater (ie BoB) vs the more brutal reality of war like The Pacific.

Quoted:
If you ask the left, the Soviet Union era was when the Russkies were the good guys.

Seems to me that all the movies from the 70s/80s had the Russians as the bad guys. Red October, Red Dawn, FireFox, Rambo III.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just saw "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" and was actually repulsed by how ridiculously evil the nazis were in that movie. Now compare it to an older favorite WW2 movie of mine, "Where Eagles Dare" and while the nazis are still villains they still seemed like actual human characters. Hollywood can't even make a movie like this anymore, it's strange how people who lived through WW2 didn't hate germans as much as today's generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ETf8GmXyu4
View Quote

Ive made that observation numerous times. None of my grandparent displayed any bitterness or anger towards the Germans, and never mention "Nazis!!!" as some distillation of evil.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But that is one of the noticeable changes.  "German" has been completely replaced with "Nazi" when referring to WWII.

It is interesting and disturbing how fluid history is.  You see the change if you live long enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My but that's familiar.

"South = CSA" in many hidebound minds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
A lot of films now make the antagonist a cartoon-like villain.

It's pretty insulting, IMO
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There were plenty of legit evil nazis.  

There were also plenty of Germans, even with nazi party membership cards that weren't all that evil.

It would be interesting to see a modern Hollywood take on the 1941-1942 western desert campaign.  That was a relatively clean business, including the germans trading synthetic anti-malarials to the English.
View Quote

The typical German soldier or officer in the field culturally was not that different from American or English cultural norms.

I think it was SPR... one of the movies had a scene supposedly based on real accounts. American aid station set up treating wounded, including some German prisoners. German counterattack overran the area, when they got to the aid station they just saluted and drove on.

The scene at the end of Band of Brothers where the German officer gives a speech is poignant, because Winters could give the same speech in English to his men.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The MSM-DNC hate machine was put into overdrive after Pearl Harbor and ran a hate campaign against the Japanese as a people that was so wildly successful the generals had to bribe their men to bring in live prisoners, not to mention the widespread taking body parts (ears, skulls) as trophies, and firebombing cities for shits and giggles. The liberals are secretly ashamed of their overt appeal to racism and are now pretending none of it happened or if it did it was forced on them to appease the GOP. Ironically, while trying to start a new campaign against whypepo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MSM-DNC hate machine was put into overdrive after Pearl Harbor and ran a hate campaign against the Japanese as a people that was so wildly successful the generals had to bribe their men to bring in live prisoners, not to mention the widespread taking body parts (ears, skulls) as trophies, and firebombing cities for shits and giggles. The liberals are secretly ashamed of their overt appeal to racism and are now pretending none of it happened or if it did it was forced on them to appease the GOP. Ironically, while trying to start a new campaign against whypepo.

The Japanese (Frequently referred to constantly as JAPS) were dehumanized & vilified as subhuman bucktoothed monkey men.

And the abysmal treatment including torture & murder of Allied prisoners  sealed the deal on hatred of the Japanese.

That the Japanese fought "unconventionally" (snipers, hidden bunkers, night banzai attacks, kamikazes) including battling to the death without surrender served to further the perspective that Japanese were not like "us".

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

From a box office standpoint, movies about the Pacific War don't do well. Letters from Iwo Jima, Thin Red Line, HBOs The Pacific. One theory is that audiences prefer the more inspirational stories from the European theater (ie BoB) vs the more brutal reality of war like The Pacific.

Seems to me that all the movies from the 70s/80s had the Russians as the bad guys. Red October, Red Dawn, FireFox, Rambo III.
View Quote
The Pacific is generally too complex in terms of the sheer distances and topics to distill into blockbuster movies.  

Just explaining how Downfall/Olympic/Coronet was setup and then called off after the canned sunshine doesn't translate well to film. If Oppenheimer's bomb had fizzled, we were going to throw 2.5 million men at Japan, making it the largest battle in history.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Nazis all wear maga hats.
So I'm told
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the example of things like Hogan's Heroes and other cultural examples show how America was learning to accept the past and move forward. It was a show on primetime TV, and at the time was only 20 years after the end of WW2. Almost all of the country had lost someone in the war, served themselves, or had a family member serve overseas 2 decades earlier.

Consider the concept: American soldiers in a German prisoner camp - and it was a comedy show!. But 20 years after WW2 the USA and West Germany had become allies and shows like this were entertainment. I am sure back in the 60's there were some Americans that this may have brought up negative memories, but on the positive side, it showed that we were collectively ready to put the past behind us, and that it was the right way to move on.

There are many other similar examples from the time. Today, there are groups that have weaponized history and used it to divide people, to keep us from being unified and instead keep people in conflict.

If you have wound, you let it heal, and accept that it happened. You don't pull the bandage off every day and aggravate it, and then wonder why it hasn't healed. Political groups have deliberately done this (instigate reminders of past aggressions) throughout history because it gives them something to rally about and use it as a source of power.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made my comment tongue in cheek, and to stir some discussion. Can you imagine the outrage today if Hollywood produced a show like Hogan's Heros!

I bought a type 44 full mum Jap carbine from a WWII pacific theater combat vet years ago. It was a bring back from the Philippines. I point blanked asked him how he felt about Japs today, with all the Japanese cars and such everywhere. He said exactly what you said, "accept the past and move forward" and leave all the hate and horrors behind.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Pacific is generally too complex in terms of the sheer distances and topics to distill into blockbuster movies.  

Just explaining how Downfall/Olympic/Coronet was setup and then called off after the canned sunshine doesn't translate well to film. If Oppenheimer's bomb had fizzled, we were going to throw 2.5 million men at Japan, making it the largest battle in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the average person I think Watching Flags of Our Fathers then Letters From Iwo Jima do a better job of telling the pacific theater story then watching The Pacific.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol. Thanks for proving my point.

Your even admitting the internal-Ukrainian politics is a far cry from the "Ukrainian resistance to Russia = Azov = Nazi" narrative that has been shoved down our throats for two years.

And this doesn't even touch on the Stalin era history and how it's been twisted, not to mentioning the growing popularity of interpreting every Cold War Asian and Latin American conflict through a Kremlin lens lately.
View Quote

The Azov movement prescribes to the formation of a “Intermarium” (between the seas) Slavic ethno superstate that is neither Russian or NATO/EU aligned. The fact that Azov was pretty much the tip of the spearfor the 8 years of fighting in the Donbas against Russian incursion, post Crimea and has this prescription just shows the narrative was correct, as uncomfortable as it is.

The transition of the interior ministry to a Zelensky aligned component just shows that it was a purposeful political move to gain International military support and assistance for the inevitable Russian invasion.  It was a pivot away from the culture of Azov.  I am sure Avakov did not want to resign his position.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Why are there no gay, POC Nazi's?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Japanese (Frequently referred to constantly as JAPS) were dehumanized & vilified as subhuman bucktoothed monkey men.

And the abysmal treatment including torture & murder of Allied prisoners  sealed the deal on hatred of the Japanese.

That the Japanese fought "unconventionally" (snipers, hidden bunkers, night banzai attacks, kamikazes) including battling to the death without surrender served to further the perspective that Japanese were not like "us".

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

If you want to have an actual first hand source look into why a group of people viewed the japanese a specific way at that time, here's a good source:

https://opc.org/cfh/guardian/Volume_11/1942-04-25.pdf

Why, Mr. Moto Fights That Way
The Present Conflict in the Light of Japanese Religion and Ethics
By the REY.FLOYD E. HAMILTON
For Twenty One Years a Missionary to Korea
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#42]
That seems more like an indictment of the past where every movie is a happy ending and even the bad guys aren't so bad because everyone wanted everything to be Leave it to Beaver.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nazis all wear maga hats.
So I'm told
View Quote

The bit of nonsense on the left is a social media tweet by the guy on the right, pedro pascal, who was the star of the tv show "the mandalorian."
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were gay nazis

(the infamous book burning picture - the nazis were burning all of the records of the sex institute... including *cough* their own)

IIRC there was even one recorded instance of a jewish nazi.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There were gay nazis

(the infamous book burning picture - the nazis were burning all of the records of the sex institute... including *cough* their own)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were gay nazis

Ernst Rohm was the homosexual

Emil Maurice was the Jewish Nazi, who was also one of the founders of the SS
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There were gay nazis

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were gay nazis

It was a time rife with opportunity for ambitious men who lacked morals.  All they needed to do was negotiate a price for their soul.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Fun Fact:

Why did so many German Officers have scars?? Mensur

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There were gay nazis

View Quote

There were 18,000 Iron Crosses awarded to Jewish Germans in WW1. It's easy to see how there were Jewish Nazis when the party was more of a worker's party with strong WW1 vet participation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, most movies just kind of suck now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not just nazis, a lot of character writing is just god awful. The bad guys are cartoonishly bad and the good guys are often infallible, or at worst have one token character flaw that's only used as a gimmicky plot point, which is then resolved, making them infallible.

Yeah, most movies just kind of suck now.

All of this
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you want to have an actual first hand source look into why a group of people viewed the japanese a specific way at that time, here's a good source:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

The US spun up EVERY Resource against the Japanese / "JAPS" including Walt Disney & Dr. Suess.

Watch some of the WW2 war time cartoons (available on YouTube) for some hugely None P.C. charactures of JAPs.

Runty bucktoothed Coke Lense glass wearing monkey men.

Bigger_Hammer
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top