Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been to two festivals with mixed results.

The biggest was Jazz Fest in NOLA when the Eagles headlined.  We went early to see Dwayne Doopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers at a side stage and that was great.  We know the band and the band recognizes us.  Then we walked over to the main stage.  As we got closer, the crowd kept getting tighter until we were in a current of people moving through the crowd.  When we got a spot, we stepped out of the current and that was where we watched the Eagles.  About half way through the show, the hippy looking girl in front of me, turned around and asked "Can I lean against you for a minute?"  Sure.  She squatted down and leaned back.  I wasn't 100% sure what she was doing but the guy in front of her with flip-flops on figured it out quickly.  Warm urine has that effect.

We did something we don't normally do - left early.  By this time the current had switched directions and we stepped into it and were carried away from the stage.  There were few people around until we got in line for a ride.  There were probably 1,000 people in front of us to catch a city bus to God knows where so we stood in the taxi line.  While waiting, a nicely dressed woman kept stopped and chatting with people before handing a them a pamphlet.  When she got to us, I took the literature and politely declined the chat as I overheard it from the group behind us.  She was promoting communism.  I think my wife was so unnerved that she threw away the pamphlet.  I would have liked to have kept it.

To sum up Jazz Fest - hippies, commies and urine.

My first fest was a radio one in the park by my house.  An all day alternative rock show and it was pretty good.  I saw Black Stone Cherry at the height of the first radio hit.  Saliva, 30 Seconds to Mars, 10 Years, Buckcherry and Candlebox rounded out the day.  I was puking drunk by the end of it.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been to a lot of concerts.  Plenty where I was really there to see the opener - Opeth, Lamb of God, Soundgarden...  For the most part, openers have sucked.  I've suffered through early System of a Down, Bush, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, etc. that sounded like shit and did way too much talking on stage.  Not to mention some shitty bands ain't nobody heard of with trash equipment just screeching noise.  Some of them were getting booed.  Just awful.  As for set changes, yes, some took that long.  Most were faster, but then the band wouldn't take the stage for another 20-30 minutes.  And then you watch the half drunk/high musicians barely get on the stage.  I understand that it's Rock'n'Roll, but I also appreciate professionalism and dedication.  I also realized long ago that just because a band made it out of the local dive bar circuit doesn't mean they're worth a damn.  Most like that land one radio friendly hit, will get on the road for a bit, sell some merch and will be gone in a year.  They aren't in it for the long haul.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love live music.  I don't care how good your speakers or headphones are, nothing beats seeing people perform in front of you and feeling the sound as much as listening to it.  With that said, music festivals are garbage.  Add to that any show where you have more than maybe two opening bands.  Chances are that I DGAF about the openers and hate standing around through amateurish bands and hour long set changes.  There have been notable rare exceptions where every band was awesome.  Best recent concert was Nightwish last year.  No opener, awesome 2 hour set and no fluff.  They came out, killed it and left.  Worked a Billy Joel concert this year as well.  Not really my cup of tea, but I appreciated the lack of bullshit.  The old man showed up on time, his band played their asses off and done.
Hour long? Don't know if this is an exaggeration, but changeovers shouldn't last more than 15-20, maybe 30 minutes max.

Managing a quick changeover is one of the most stimulating, challenging, and exhilarating part of the job.

Sucks that that's been your experience with opening/supporting acts. I've been pleasantly surprised by them more times than I can count, often so much so that I'd rather have than keep playing than see the headliner take back the stage.
I've been to a lot of concerts.  Plenty where I was really there to see the opener - Opeth, Lamb of God, Soundgarden...  For the most part, openers have sucked.  I've suffered through early System of a Down, Bush, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, etc. that sounded like shit and did way too much talking on stage.  Not to mention some shitty bands ain't nobody heard of with trash equipment just screeching noise.  Some of them were getting booed.  Just awful.  As for set changes, yes, some took that long.  Most were faster, but then the band wouldn't take the stage for another 20-30 minutes.  And then you watch the half drunk/high musicians barely get on the stage.  I understand that it's Rock'n'Roll, but I also appreciate professionalism and dedication.  I also realized long ago that just because a band made it out of the local dive bar circuit doesn't mean they're worth a damn.  Most like that land one radio friendly hit, will get on the road for a bit, sell some merch and will be gone in a year.  They aren't in it for the long haul.
All valid observations.

At my former job we had a backstage manager who, although rough around the edges, was very good about getting bands onto the stage on time.

Yes, it takes professionalism and a good crew. Little things like posting set times in various places around the backstage area and green room helps. You have to be very direct with bands, sometimes a hard-ass. You cannot tiptoe around them and/or their tour management.

I have heard that since me and the group of guys I used to work with left that things rarely run on time there anymore. It is sad. As a stage manager, I took pride in doing my part to make sure we were ready to go exactly when we were supposed to go.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
At 24 hell yes!

At 44, helllllll noooooo.....
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Some are good and some are bad. Most of the time they're fun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To me they sound like misery.

I can’t imagine how wading through crowds of drugged out hippies and shitting in portapotties could be a good time, but that’s just me.
View Quote
Doesn't sound like you have ever been to one.  Lots of great music out there....and it's not all a bunch of hippies and druggies.

Get out and live life a little........
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Festivals aren't really about the music.

It's about immersing yourself in a sea of humanity, surfing the collective rush, the music is just the common thread.  It's not unlike a particularly successful revival service.

... it's not something I enjoy.  But I understand why some folks do.
View Quote
If you dig enjoying other things with other people there is appeal.

If you don't want to enjoy something with other people it is misery.

I'm somewhere in the middle.  Honestly, I'd rather spend money on guns, ammo, and a nice vacation to a quiet beach with the family.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sitting here thinking about it, I wouldn't mind doing Wacken Open Air over in Germany, just to say I have.
View Quote
All metalheads should make the pilgrimage.  The year I went it wasn't even the most amazing lineup, though seeing Candlemass and Amorphis was amazing.  But the experience was just a blast.  Would love to go again.  Nearly did this year but waffled and it sold out.  Oh well.  Maybe Hellfest or Summerbreeze.

As for those talking about shitters.  Yeah shitting at Wacken was an adventure,trying not to touch the cone.  But at the much smaller metal fest I go to the campground staff are amazing at keeping those shitters in excellent condition.   And with 2 stages there is 15 minutes between sets at most. And its BYOB so beer is as cheep as you want it to be.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Fun enough to watch on tv but it takes a special artist to make me want to see them live.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep.  Already have my tickets for 2020 Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas.

I wear Eargasm earplugs, carry a hydration bladder, dress up, and dance like nobody's watching (or try to ) with Mrs. vim.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to ozzfest back in the day and it was not fun.  Hot, expensive, dirty and the bands were just ok.

I went to a local EDM festival a couple years ago and had a blast.  It was mainly at night so it was cooler, there was a ton of themed decoration, lasers, a volcano stage that shot fire, a big vendor zone with full service, themed sit down restaurants and beer bars with 100's of options on the menu.  Not cheap at all but way more fun than a $7 miller lite and some headache music.  People went all out too with the costumes and glow jewelry.  Even saw this girl walking around waving a 3'x4' gadsden flag.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I love going to concerts. I've been to more Ozzfests, Lollapaloozas, Warped Tours, Sunfests, and concerts in general than I can even remember.

I really wanted to go to Rockville in Jax earlier this year, but I knew I'd regret it. I'm 60 and I can't do those all day, multi day festivals anymore.

I started going to concerts in 1969 (1st was Steppwolf). I've noticed that over the years that young people have definitely gotten a lot more assholeish in their behavior in general and toward other people.

Also, phones... Jesus, if you have to have your phone out all the fucking time TURN THE BRIGHTNESS DOWN. It blinds everyone in a 20 foot radius.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wouldn't go to the Woodstock esque shit.

We love to go to the Irish Festival in Dublin Ohio. 5 stages with different styles of celtic and related music. Dozens and dozens of food trucks. Instrument makers. It's great.

Also love Old Time Music or Appalachian fests. Good food. Good music. There was one near us that you could bring your instrument and sit in with various jam sessions that would break out around the area. It was great.
View Quote
If I had to pick a single pivotal moment when I started evolving from an idiot leftist to a merely slow-witted conservative, it would be when I read an article by Ayn Rand demolishing the standard rosy view of Woodstock as a cultural high point of peace, love, and music. I started thinking about other received wisdom more critically and the rest was inevitable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also, phones... Jesus, if you have to have your phone out all the fucking time TURN THE BRIGHTNESS DOWN. It blinds everyone in a 20 foot radius.
View Quote
Yeah, it's irritating, but I honestly can't see how performers tolerate it either.

I once witnessed a guy pressed right up against the stage at a Doyle Bramhall show, taking video of him by resting his phone on Doyle's monitor wedge.

I would've kicked that phone out of the guy's hand if it had been my show.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I love them. I've never had to shit at a one, so I can't speak to that. I've never found myself unable to hold a fart on an airplane either, so that makes me an arfcom minority apparently.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
"Take me anywhere but a music festival.

Beth, I thought you liked music. That's why I suggested it.

Still like music. The festival part that bothers me. Pick something more suited to my personality.

You wanna go get drunk, and watch some wolves kill an elk in a park?

I'll drive."
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love them. I've never had to shit at a one, so I can't speak to that. I've never found myself unable to hold a fart on an airplane either, so that makes me an arfcom minority apparently.
View Quote
its hard to hold it in for 3-4 days while drinking a lot of beer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does molly give people the shits?

Since listening to tards drone on about it makes my brain feel like it needs to shit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Since listening to tards drone on about it makes my brain feel like it needs to shit.
View Quote
I have no idea what molly is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A drug that a lot of festival goers love.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Are there any that don't cost hundreds of dollars per ticket anymore? Sorta prices them out of my reach, even if I wanted to go
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Ozzfest back in the late 90's was awesome, specifically 1997-99. Only music fest I'll hit now is Open Air, and that depends on the lineup.

Not a music festival, but I'm stoked to go see Tool on Sunday
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Must not be popular at metal fests.  More pot and maybe some coke.  and a lot of drinking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's too bad.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to go to a lot of underground warehouse "raves" back in the late 90's / early 2000's

Still go to bigger EDM festivals every now and then.  Went to Tomorrowworld in Atlanta two years and Something Wicked / Freaky Deaky here in Houston.

As much of a hunter / redneck as I've become over the years, I will always listen to EDM and I love going to festivals :shrugs:

as a few others have said, it was much more enjoyable when I was younger.  In my mid 30's now im definitely on the upper end of the age group lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#26]
In theory hell yeah
In reality hell no
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the street name for a group of substances sold to people looking for ecstasy (MDMA).
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Festival means clusterfuck in Spanish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's too bad.
View Quote
I've dabbled in quite a few things over the years but not much anymore.  Since I've found that Molly id ecstasy I did it once long ago.  Then went to a strip club for a bachelor party.  oh boy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 years ago they did. Had a lot of fun at Lollapalooza in 92 and 93.
Now, not so much.
This.
That.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#33]
The Louisiana Festivals are great.  Family friendly and plenty of Cajun and Zydeco music. A good time for all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Not anymore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is about 30 minutes away.

Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Madonna, Depeche Mode, NIN , Guns N' Roses, Lady Gaga, and AC/DC have played there.

It's a crazy now two weekends long event that sees 125,000 people there some days and rakes in over $100 million.

I wasn't here for the first years of the show.
View Quote
Was going to ask if anyone goes to that. All I hear about it is instathots, celebs, and divorcees from nyc who get plastic surgery so they can compete with the youngsters for cock.

Also want to hear all from anyone involved in fyre fest.

Me, only been to SXSW a few times and some grateful dead concerts back in the 70s
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I typically hate big crowds, and have no desire to go to any of the music festivals like Coachella or whatever.

That said, I would one day like to go to the Festival Interceltique in Lorient some day.

TEASER 2019 - Festival Interceltique de Lorient 2019
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I would love to sit in the oar pit for Alestorm
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
20+ years ago they did. Had a lot of fun at Lollapalooza in 92 and 93.

Now, not so much. I don't even like going to see my friends cover band in local dive bars. The older I get the less time I like spending around other people outside my immediate friends and family.
View Quote
Nailed it!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#39]
lol fuck no. im 37 and some of my friends still attend these things. otherwise professional, well-employed, educated motherfuckers, use as an opportunity to binge on mollies and reconnect with their youth. the only thing i can think of were I to attend such an event: “where the fuck am I gonna find a place to sit.”

no thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When I was 20, sure.

At 60+, not so much.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was 20, sure.

At 60+, not so much.
This.
So, Mrs. vim and I are at the upper end of things (61 and 58).  We do our own thing, but get a lot of people coming up to us who want to hear our story, which is a lot of fun and a nice way to meet people.  It's pretty simple:  dancing and music and letting our hair down (so to speak) a little bit.  At last year's EDC, Mrs. vim's substance intake for the entire weekend was exactly one Red Bull and vodka.  I had more but didn't get loaded (they are long nights).
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Irish fest in weston, mo is as big as ill go to any more. Orthe Hermann, Mo oktoberfest.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wouldn't go to the Woodstock esque shit.

We love to go to the Irish Festival in Dublin Ohio. 5 stages with different styles of celtic and related music. Dozens and dozens of food trucks. Instrument makers. It's great.

Also love Old Time Music or Appalachian fests. Good food. Good music. There was one near us that you could bring your instrument and sit in with various jam sessions that would break out around the area. It was great.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#44]
As someone who goes to 50+ concerts a year, including festivals. I am generally not a fan of festivals.

I don't camp at one's that allow it. Come to think of it, I generally dislike outdoor shows.

I have only done 1 festival I liked. Rock the ship this last month was awesome. Here's a pic from it. I think most will like it;)

The drugs don't bother me. Been around the punk scene a long time. I avoid it. Drunks are more of a pain in the ass IMO.

Plus, I prefer the camaraderie of smaller shows, especially in the pits.

But to each their own. Some people I know love fests. Me, I tend to pass them up. Wanted to see tool, but i didn't want to go to aftershock. So, we passed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Sound of Music... Feat. A-10
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Single day ones are good to go. They are financial scams, really. The way they spread out the bands..I wont go if they are more than one day.

I miss Metal Mayhem
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to love going to concerts and local shows. Then sometime in my late-20s it all just lost its appeal. I'm not sure exactly why. No longer being in a band and cutting back on my drinking are probably the main contributors.

Now, I have little to no interest in going to see live performances. I'd rather listen to the music while I'm working or enjoying a drink or two with friends.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Only if it has a nice hotel that’s within walking distance..
View Quote
That was required until this Summer

My Sixteen year old drove the four hours back home from The Dead and Company
while I examined the back side of my eyelids
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I did  festivals in my wayward youth, but they lost their luster quickly by the time I  turned 25. My last attempt at a mainstream one was Country Thunder. If you've been to, or even heard of  a bad festival, then no description of CT is necessary. Same scene, with more cheap cowboy hats. The only upside was the readily available female companionship. I've declined free tickets to the event twice since that one visit.

I've been slacking lately, but I used to burn the tires off the truck going to bluegrass/old time/folk festivals. They tend to be populated with great people, and band changes are quick. Jam sessions and band scrambles are awesome to participate in, too. Most of the substance use is very low-key, and I've been to a few where no intoxicants of any sort were tolerated on the grounds. You can leave to get a snack and your neighbor will keep an eye on your folding chair.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top