Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spark plugs?
Filters (Air/Gas/etc.)?
???

Reality is that any modern car can go over 100k+ even without those things, which isn't really a "tune up" anyway, just routine maintenance (like an oil change).

The exception of course would be..
<<<<<<< my avatar. Which can't go 20k without having to remove the engine!

I remember cars having grease fittings that needed routine injections of grease, points that needed to be polished and carbs that needed to be adjusted.
Actually, I think with the demise of the carburetor, the idea of a "tune up" started to slowly die as well.
View Quote

My Impala is at 150 and I haven't done any of that (going to do it in the next few weeks).
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They'll hook up their computer.

Since they advertize that they'll change your plugs, check tires, check the exhaust system, check brake pads, check fluid levels and change out the old air filter.  They will.   Not that you actually need your plugs changed.  As for the fluids check levels.........well, that "Jiffy _______ " place did that.  But there is no harm in doing it again.   Afterall, they need to justify the $_______ that they charge for the "tune up."

You'll find that the Stealership usually chargers more.  LOL....they have "factory authorized/trained" mechanics on staff.    Not to mention that they are up to date with the re-calls on your particular vehicle.

BTW....that air filter should be changed once a year.  So, you wanna schedule your next appointment? Then again, we'll send you a reminder in the mail about this time next year.  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, generally around 100,000 miles.

Plugs, timing chain/belt, whatever trans stuff the manufacturer recommends, rear end fluid change, flush radiator, check A/C system, etc.

Basically a combination big maintenance interval and thorough check over.

Modern cars CAN go 300,000-500,000 miles with small maintenance items here and there. Those that don't see regularly scheduled maintenance and tune ups, however...
View Quote

I had an S-10 for 15 years and didn't do anything but change the plug wires once.  I didn't even change the oil.  Once it ran out, I'd just fill it up again.    That thing probably would've gone another 5 years or so but the timing belt broke and I decided to get something else.  That thing was more of a mule/workhorse than a thoroughbred.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Manufacturers recommended preventative and scheduled maintenance.  I don't know if that qualifies as a tune up.
View Quote

Nah, I do all that stuff anyways and call it general maintenance.  Just wondering if the 70s-80's term "tune up" meant anything nowadays.  Seems it doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have them do the Plugs and points in my Prius once a year. Great deal on service it is only 350 bucks.
View Quote

*spits pizza rolls out*

Bring that to TN and I'll do it for half.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nah, I do all that stuff anyways and call it general maintenance.  Just wondering if the 70s-80's term "tune up" meant anything nowadays.  Seems it doesn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Manufacturers recommended preventative and scheduled maintenance.  I don't know if that qualifies as a tune up.

If you bring your car into my shop and ask for a tune up we will change the spark plugs, and filters. That is a tune up and has been for at least 22+ years.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you bring your car into my shop and ask for a tune up we will change the spark plugs, and filters. That is a tune up and has been for at least 22+ years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't check the mixture, timing, replace the points/rotor/condensor, and set the point gap/dwell, or valve clearance?

Thats not a tune up.....you are just changing the plugs and filters....do you bother to gap the plugs, or just install them straight out of the box?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
In PA your car has to be inspected yearly.  So it's safe to say my car gets a yearly tuneup.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So you don't check the mixture, timing, replace the points/rotor/condensor, and set the point gap/dwell, or valve clearance?

Thats not a tune up.....you are just changing the plugs and filters....do you bother to gap the plugs, or just install them straight out of the box?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/86/a5/8486a5876eeffb872f00b1ab658b5eeb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/86/a5/8486a5876eeffb872f00b1ab658b5eeb.jpg
Depends on the car. I have a sun machine older than that and I still use a dwell meter from time to time.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stock vehicle keeping it to stock tuning.

I get we can tune a vehicle to make more power, are you tuning engines that get out of adjustment from stock power levels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change your fluids and filters?

Not much else that I'm aware of these days can be "tuned up"

wat

I get we can tune a vehicle to make more power, are you tuning engines that get out of adjustment from stock power levels?

With all the electronics in modern cars, there's not much that can get out of tune unless a part is broken....at which time the car tells you to get it serviced (and throws a code).

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
newer cars don't have anything to tune up
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
With all the electronics in modern cars, there's not much that can get out of tune unless a part is broken....at which time the car tells you to get it serviced (and throws a code).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wat

Not broken worn out and no code. Customer complaint hard to start and poor gas mileage.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Spark plugs?
Filters (Air/Gas/etc.)?
???

Reality is that any modern car can go over 100k+ even without those things, which isn't really a "tune up" anyway, just routine maintenance (like an oil change).

The exception of course would be..
<<<<<<< my avatar. Which can't go 20k without having to remove the engine!

I remember cars having grease fittings that needed routine injections of grease, points that needed to be polished and carbs that needed to be adjusted.
Actually, I think with the demise of the carburetor, the idea of a "tune up" started to slowly die as well.
View Quote

My parents gave me their old aerostar when I turned 16.  It went almost 190k miles on the original set of spark plugs.   Though it did run quite a bit better when I finally changed them.

Only major thing wrong with it at that point was the sliding door wouldn't open.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The lean af ratios require top performing spark plugs, or a  Noticeably poor running engine results.  Probably not so bad to the layman but to someone who works exclusively on that car, we pick up on those things.  Combine it with Multiple spark discharge, the plugs don't last as long.   New Mercedes-Benz requires plugs at 60k miles.  They must be  indexed or poor running and engine damage will result.  Just a  few years ago the interval was 100k miles.

Fuel filters are now a 150k miles item.  So is coolant.  Except now fuel filter is integrated in to a sending unit and is inside the tank, sometimes requiring tank removal to access.  Coolant change requires replacement of coolant tank to replenish silicate block inside.

Transmission services, differential (dependant on type), brake fluid, dust filter, air filters,... some stuff varies with model but still falls under maintenance.  Some more exotic models or options require additional maintenance.  Differential locks, multi function camera, hubs, even bolt replacement on certain applications.

There are places you could go that would never service these items because they don't know to.  A v12 would require a    low  temperature cooling system service at three years, but an uninformed person wouldn't know to do it.  Or to drain the oil coolers on some models, oil hoses on others, drain plugs require replacement on a select few as well.  Jiffy lube doesn't do this stuff.  It's beyond the ability of most backyard mechanics or shade tree types...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure ben knows what he's doing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

newer cars don't have anything to tune up
View Quote
Chrysler does, they put 30k mile spark plugs in the hemi jeep grand Cherokee, but it's Chrysler. Best thing to do is read your manual, especially if you own a POS Chrysler/Jeep product.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Assuming you've been doing your routine maintenance, there's not much to tune up.  The flushes and cleanings that are suggested are helpful.  Many of which you can do yourself, if you are the DIY type.  Spark plugs generally last 100k, but if the car isn't running clean, then platinum or yytrium is actually prone to carbon deposits.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had an S-10 for 15 years and didn't do anything but change the plug wires once.  I didn't even change the oil.  Once it ran out, I'd just fill it up again.    That thing probably would've gone another 5 years or so but the timing belt broke and I decided to get something else.  That thing was more of a mule/workhorse than a thoroughbred.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, generally around 100,000 miles.

Plugs, timing chain/belt, whatever trans stuff the manufacturer recommends, rear end fluid change, flush radiator, check A/C system, etc.

Basically a combination big maintenance interval and thorough check over.

Modern cars CAN go 300,000-500,000 miles with small maintenance items here and there. Those that don't see regularly scheduled maintenance and tune ups, however...

lol

no
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nobody else remembers the joy of adjusting valves every 12K? Wasn't that fun?
View Quote
It still is.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A "Tune-up" IE: replacing plugs/wires, adjusting the carb, removing the fuel pump and cleaning out sediment, adjusting timing, checking compression, checking belt tension, replacing the PCV, checking the battery or whatever else the manufacturer called for is just a regular service.

It used to be you had to do everything at 5k miles, then it got extended to 10k, then 15k, then 50k. Now a "tune-up" is a 90-100k service depending on the manufacturer. A lot of things are no longer done, like replacing the points & condenser, or cleaning out the fuel pump. Some things have been added, like replacing the timing belt.
View Quote

This.  plugs/wires, fuel filter, belts, etc... It's a good idea if you plan on keeping it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Let's take a normal, basic gas engine example.

Old school days. What were the primary things performed during a "tune-up" besides maintenance? Carburetor adjustments (air/fuel) and distributor adjustments (timing).

Guess what a modern 'tune' download changes? Air/fuel and timing.

Just because the tool is a flash device instead of a screwdriver, does not inherently change the act. And to those to who cry "but it's not stock after a tune!", well,  after Johnny mechanic turns the spark advance up 5 degrees on your '78 351W, is it still any more or less stock than the same thing performed electronically on a newer engine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wat

Let's take a normal, basic gas engine example.

Old school days. What were the primary things performed during a "tune-up" besides maintenance? Carburetor adjustments (air/fuel) and distributor adjustments (timing).

Guess what a modern 'tune' download changes? Air/fuel and timing.

Just because the tool is a flash device instead of a screwdriver, does not inherently change the act. And to those to who cry "but it's not stock after a tune!", well,  after Johnny mechanic turns the spark advance up 5 degrees on your '78 351W, is it still any more or less stock than the same thing performed electronically on a newer engine?
Cap, points, rotor, condenser, plugs, wires, filters, adjust carb, adjust timing, change fluids, and check vac hoses.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
How many of our younger members know what this is?

Besides a wrench, buttheads.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/PEHhvD2.jpg

View Quote

Is it to get that spark plug in the very back behind all the brackets and heater hoses & header pipes?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is it to get that spark plug in the very back behind all the brackets and heater hoses & header pipes?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope!

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Tune up to maintain your vehicle = maintenance

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope!  

1/2 or 9/16?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
1/2 or 9/16?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope!  

1/2 or 9/16?
1/2"

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

1/2"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope!  

1/2 or 9/16?
1/2"  

It loosens the distributor hold down bolt so you can adjust the timing.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Filters...

... and plugs, right?

Pics from my last "tune up."  Easier and less messy than changing the oil.  I wouldn't pay someone to do it for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#35]
My tech and I are good friends.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I took my son's malibu and had it put on the dyno for Christmas a few years back
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I do my own.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Fair enough

There are so many guys out there that can't tune a car without a laptop that I've become a bit jaded!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have them do the Plugs and points in my Prius once a year. Great deal on service it is only 350 bucks.
View Quote

What you did there.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#40]
A tune-up used to be done every 15,000-25,000 miles.

Adjust points, check/adjust timing, change spark plugs, change spark plug wires, filters, change cap and rotor, fuel filter, valve adjustments, carb clean, etc.

NONE of that shit has to be done anymore with any kind of significant frequency.

Electronic ignition got rid of points, and made plugs last much longer.  Then platinum plugs in conjunction made those a 100,000 mile change.  Computers took over timing.  Cap and Rotors were replaced with computer controlled coil packs.  Modern silicone plug wires last the life of the car, if you even have plug wires with modern coil-over-plugs.  No more carbs.  Modern air filters don't grab all the funk under the hood like they used to, and have more surface area and last longer.  Valves aren't solid and don't require constant adjustment.

No, there are no more tune-ups.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#41]
My '95 1.6 liter Civic required valve adjustments every 15,000 miles.   It also needed new plugs around every 30,000 miles as well as a distributor rotor.   With that and regular oil changes it lasted me 320,000 miles and still ran great and got 35 mpg when I sold it.  

My 4.7 Toyota needs a timing belt at 90,000 and plugs at 100,000.  Other than filters and fluid changes,  that's about it.  

Modern engines are more reliable and less labor intensive than ever.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My '95 1.6 liter Civic required valve adjustments every 15,000 miles.   It also needed new plugs around every 30,000 miles as well as a distributor rotor.   With that and regular oil changes it lasted me 320,000 miles and still ran great and got 35 mpg when I sold it.  
View Quote

Was something special about that engine with valves?  I had an 82, 88, and maintained a couple 90's models and none of them ever required valve adjustments over lives of 200,000 miles.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Not like the old days.  Interval maintenance yes, but I'm not even sure what that consists of and I don't ask.  Just do what ever it is you do and give me the keys after the wash and detail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bingo!

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Bingo!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!  

Old guys FTW!

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Here's an idea:  Skip all that "routine maintenance" BS that's just ripping you off.  You know it's not really necessary anyway.

I'll be watching for a thread next year about how your ride is a "complete piece of shit" and the company that made it is "a collection of greedy, incompetent assholes".  You don't have to use my language -- you can start writing your thread now and get it really polished for its debut next year.

For everyone else:  "Tune Ups" aren't really a thing anymore -- stuff tends to keep running right up until it doesn't nowadays.  And if you like sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, you can put off the maintenance until things blow up and then break other things because failure loves company.  So yeah, you still have to maintain your car.  It's got lots of moving parts and has pieces that last a long time, but still wear out.  If it moves, it needs service eventually.  Fluids move, you have to change your oil, your brake fluid, your coolants and transmission fluids.  Belts move, they gotta be replaced eventually.  Hoses flex, they wear out.  Solenoids, switches, relays, etc. you get the idea.

Also, things designed to move but don't -- will sit, rot, and rust faster, so drive your car regularly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:56:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here's an idea:  Skip all that "routine maintenance" BS that's just ripping you off.  You know it's not really necessary anyway.

I'll be watching for a thread next year about how your ride is a "complete piece of shit" and the company that made it is "a collection of greedy, incompetent assholes".  You don't have to use my language -- you can start writing your thread now and get it really polished for its debut next year.

For everyone else:  "Tune Ups" aren't really a thing anymore -- stuff tends to keep running right up until it doesn't nowadays.  And if you like sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, you can put off the maintenance until things blow up and then break other things because failure loves company.  So yeah, you still have to maintain your car.  It's got lots of moving parts and has pieces that last a long time, but still wear out.  If it moves, it needs service eventually.  Fluids move, you have to change your oil, your brake fluid, your coolants and transmission fluids.  Belts move, they gotta be replaced eventually.  Hoses flex, they wear out.  Solenoids, switches, relays, etc. you get the idea.

Also, things designed to move but don't -- will sit, rot, and rust faster, so drive your car regularly.
View Quote

You sure typed a whole lot, to not really say anything.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I stood there and watched him do it. I looked the cap and button over myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought a 05 GMC pickup last year with 42k on it. It seemed to have a little hesitation in motor but no codes.

Took to garage and had new plugs and wires and rotor cap and button. Rotor button looked very burnt.

Runs great now with no stumble in motor.

You got ripped off.    There is no "Rotor cap" on a 2005 GMC
 They probably poured 2 cans of Techron in the fuel tank, which cleared your injectors, and then changed your spark plugs.

Just for fun, I looked up the ignition system for your truck (reformed parts store ASM, ASE certified.)

Using a 1500 series w/ a 5.3L engine as a template.

You are right and Fullpower is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#49]
nope..

i go to either a local mechanic i trust or the dealership for an oil change and ask them to recommend (but not perform without approval) any additional services.  To this day I have not had either one recommend anything that seemed unreasonable.  As a matter of fact in the past 4-5 years of owning my 4runner I've only had three things recommended...brakes, which I knew I would need, air filter changes (which i declined and did myself), and radiator flush, (which I had them perform)<
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Just for fun, I looked up the ignition system for your truck (reformed parts store ASM, ASE certified.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bought a 05 GMC pickup last year with 42k on it. It seemed to have a little hesitation in motor but no codes.

Took to garage and had new plugs and wires and rotor cap and button. Rotor button looked very burnt.

Runs great now with no stumble in motor.

You got ripped off.    There is no "Rotor cap" on a 2005 GMC

They probably poured 2 cans of Techron in the fuel tank, which cleared your injectors, and then changed your spark plugs.

We already cleared this up. He has a 4.3l v6 which has the older distributor cap and rotor versus the v8s which are coil on plug.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top