Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2022 2:25:44 PM EDT
Eventually recessions always end and things get better however do you think these prices are the new normal. Do you think companies will lower prices or will they just enjoy the additional profits?
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If people still buy the products at the new price, they won't come down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Eventually recessions always end and things get better however do you think these prices are the new normal. Do you think companies will lower prices or will they just enjoy the additional profits?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The plan seems to be that the Democratic Party and/or the Chinese communist party retains power for the next 1000 years.

So... No.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Inflation is the biggest issue for high prices.  And when have you ever seen negative inflation?  It may slow, but I doubt I’ll ever see it stop, let alone go down in this lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
What prices on what?
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on how much screeching noise you make. Gas went up. People screeched. Gas came down. If you keep buying at these prices without a care, they're going to remain where they are. Also, hyperinflation is a thing. You can only bandaid a sinking ship for so long. Hyperinflation > Second Great Depression > Civil War 2.0 > WW3. We're Weimar 2.0. It's better that you come to terms with reality now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What prices on what?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/qbrJL6H-1045638.jpg

+1

Also…
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
No. The best you can hope for is that we transition to cost effective options such as soy biscuits and cricket pate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
some prices will come down some won't.  driven by supply and demand.

however, it's unlikely that we will deflate to pre covid dollars.   may have some disinflation if the fed follows through on reducing their balance sheet.    but i'm skeptical because there's no way congress stops spending, so the fed really has to keep going

e.g. primers didn't go from $15/k to $150/k because the fed increased the money supply by 10x.   The price increase was due to lack of supply.   once that's corrected, prices of primers will come back down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Albeit small, there are factory incentives back on some trucks.  So I would say yes that in the short term it is trending down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Inflation is the biggest issue for high prices.  And when have you ever seen negative inflation?  It may slow, but I doubt I’ll ever see it stop, let alone go down in this lifetime.
View Quote

Housing and energy go up and down all the time. People were upside down on their mortgage for a decade or more last time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What prices on what?
View Quote

Shingles, texture mud, copper and aluminum wire, pex piping and fittings, pipe wrap, zip ties, caulk, duct tape, ABS fittings, paint, insulation, lumber.
Gas was under $3.00 gal, up past $5.00 and settled back to $3.50, fuel probably had the least impact on my business.

Find a product that has not at least doubled in the last two years and get back to me, I will wait over here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they had the ability to just enjoy additional profits at will they would have raised prices a long time ago.

Prices are almost always book ended by the cost to produce and competition.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
1. There are no additional profits. Input costs go up, you know this right?
2. Inflation is a one way ratchet.

So no, prices will never come down overall. Some bubbles may pop but that's it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Supply and demand, how do they work?
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes.  Won't be long until you can pick up a fresh-killed possum for the low low price of three .22LR rounds.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm glad I'm older than most here as I've been through a true recession before and two other "mini" recessions. I remember when the Prime Rate was 21%. I remember having a mortgage at 18%. I remember literally having 35 employees one day and the next I couldn't GIVE my product away. Price cutting was in vogue in virtually all types of businesses. One particular memory was of a potential contract for about 150K which would have helped greatly at the time. Another competitor got involved and the bidding war resulted in HIM getting the contract for under 90K. This was in 1987 which was the year AFTER we moved into a new facility with a huge note on a new factory. The competitor went belly up trying to do that particular job. We made it through barely. The "RTC" or Resolution Trust Corporation was enacted as many banks failed and even though our note was current the bank called it along with many others. The good ol' US Taxpayer took it on the chin in more ways than one during that period. Our note , as I said, was called EVEN THOUGH we were not behind. The RTC came in and took our note over AFTER, on good advice, we stopped paying on it. They came in and within 60 days I had a NEW note with a reduction on principle of almost 50%. No problem they said. It's what we're doing these days. Just keep on working and you're golden. I was stunned to say the least BUT not so stunned as to not take the deal.

Back to the point. YES prices can and will come down if the circumstances are right. We aren't there yet but I see it coming. At some point todays pricing, cost structure and debt ratios just become dysfunctional for most small to medium sized business. My powder is dry and safe and I'm poised to be a buyer in certain markets when things go south. You ain't seen nothing yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Gas prices have been falling in my area for some time now
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/qbrJL6H-1045638.jpg

LOL this.

As long as consumers are buying.  In a free market, if the costs go down a competitor will lower prices to get more sales.

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Currency inflation is not causes by "greedy companies". Price increases are those entities trying to retain actual worth. Fiat currency is basically "pay it forward" theft.  .GOV gets that first fat skim before devaluation sinks in the economy. It is a very old game. Even back when ancient governments used actual gold coin as currency, they still figured out ways to inflate it. They used alloys for dilution and would trim the edges of coins already in circulation. A purity test for gold was to bite the coins Pure gold is kind of soft. Not soft as lead, but will mar slightly to a sound tooth. The trimming thing is why high value coins have fancy edges. Low value coins do not.

Modern inflation is caused by the government printing and circulating increasingly worthless paper. In the last two years they've gone an orgasmic binge printing money for the "covid crisis". Last i heard was SIX TRILLION. It was not long ago when six trillion was the entire federal budget scraped up with taxes.

Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I paid $18 for a large sub combo earlier this week, shit is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Somebody either skipped the first day of freshman Economics 101,  or they went to one of those 'progressive' colleges.

I didn't mention high school, because I'm pretty sure that no high school in America teaches basic civics or economics anymore...
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why prices won't come back down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Almost everything you have will deflate in price.
Everything you need will inflate in price.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Genuinely curious but how is there no additional profits but yet we see all the time of companies posting new record profits? Like I say I'm actually curious but it sure seems like a lot of companies are using the inflation excuse to pass off way higher prices than what actually make sense to me anyway
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shingles, texture mud, copper and aluminum wire, pex piping and fittings, pipe wrap, zip ties, caulk, duct tape, ABS fittings, paint, insulation, lumber.
Gas was under $3.00 gal, up past $5.00 and settled back to $3.50, fuel probably had the least impact on my business.

Find a product that has not at least doubled in the last two years and get back to me, I will wait over here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What prices on what?

77" LG OLED TV was $5000, now $2000.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Samsung 55" TV was $379 this month. Sold out now. Glad I had my HVAC System and new roof installed before this inflation hit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. This is why

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#35]
M2 money supply grew by 40% since early 2020.

We're fortunate prices ares Ricky and haven't gone up more.

Money supply isn't going back where it was, so neither will prices.

Edit: ha! Beat twice by others posting the M2 graph, this makes my day
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Genuinely curious but how is there no additional profits but yet we see all the time of companies posting new record profits? Like I say I'm actually curious but it sure seems like a lot of companies are using the inflation excuse to pass off way higher prices than what actually make sense to me anyway
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What companies? There could be a bunch of different reasons.

If it was as simple as raising prices to make more money I’d have doubled my prices and doubled my revenue a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#37]
No

Except for tv's
I bought a roku tv last November for $398
Last night in the same store, same tv, $298
Wtf
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gas prices have been falling in my area for some time now
View Quote
False dichotomy
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Of course they will. Demand will lessen, already is. Have you seen retail numbers?

Liberty is easier to have than ever. Luxury, now that’s another story. Go back to the average home size for a family of 4 of 1,000 sq ft, annual driving and tent camping vacations and canoes instead of axis boats and one car without AC and picnics in the park instead of restaurants etc. You could make $60,000 and EASILY afford that lifestyle in a non luxury locale.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I think 50 round boxes of 9mm HST should be $30 again soon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#41]
No.  I mean sure theoretically, if there was some implementation of controlled deflation, maybe.  But it's more likely that would just screw other stuff up.  So yeah, prices for everything will be higher across the board and not come down (with obvious exceptions for commodities where prices regularly change any way).
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every dollar of a 2022 "record profit" has about 90% of the buying power that it would have had in 2021.  Many of today's "record profits" are numerical records, but still have lower value to companies than smaller profits would have had in past years.

In other words if a company's 2022 profits were 5% higher than 2021, they actually lost about 5% of the value of their profits due to inflation.  (I don't know the exact number and am using 10% inflation as an example.)

Edit: per Google, inflation was 7.1% for the 12 month period ending in November.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope. Things are expensive but it’s not hurting people badly enough to not buy them, so as long as demand stays up, so will the price
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#44]
The prices will never come down

Or you would still be buying a bag of candy for a nickel
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Back to the point. YES prices can and will come down if the circumstances are right. We aren't there yet but I see it coming. At some point todays pricing, cost structure and debt ratios just become dysfunctional for most small to medium sized business. My powder is dry and safe and I'm poised to be a buyer in certain markets when things go south. You ain't seen nothing yet.
View Quote

Part of the circumstances being right for prices to come down would be large profit margins, which I am sure a few folks have. However our company has done big price increases just trying to keep up with labor and materials and I hear the same for many other companies I know and deal with. Unless those items go down, which they wont unless we lower minimum wage...we cant lower our prices and have any reason to still do business. In fact I hope I have raised them enough as is.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been reading a bit about deflation, and recently read something about supplies beginning to creep up with suppliers.

one economist said that the fed is using the wrong data to adjust the interest rates, and within a year we will see a significant lack of demand, and therefore see some significant deflation, and to hold cash.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Both my home and car insurance went up about 20%...with no claims, perfect credit, etc. Reason cited was INFLATION.

Do you think they'll magically lower rates when inflation subsides?

That'd be a fat, no way in hell, bro.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Eventually recessions always end and things get better however do you think these prices are the new normal. Do you think companies will lower prices or will they just [b]enjoy the additional profits[/b]?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Part of the circumstances being right for prices to come down would be large profit margins, which I am sure a few folks have. However our company has done big price increases just trying to keep up with labor and materials and I hear the same for many other companies I know and deal with. Unless those items go down, which they wont unless we lower minimum wage...we cant lower our prices and have any reason to still do business. In fact I hope I have raised them enough as is.
View Quote

This is completely irrelevant in my area. There are zero jobs(other than bartenders or waitstaff) being filled for minimum wage. Our entry level positions pay about 50% more than state minimum and 250% the federal minimum and it’s almost impossible to fill all the positions needed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is completely irrelevant in my area. There are zero jobs(other than bartenders or waitstaff) being filled for minimum wage. Our entry level positions pay about 50% more than state minimum and 250% the federal minimum and it’s almost impossible to fill all the positions needed.
View Quote

You are right...lower wages overall is what I should have said and that can only be done one way which is ending 90% of entitlements. Which means we are all going to ride this bitch to the ground.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top