User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those going to the keys.

...The International Shark Attack File has only 17 unprovoked shark attacks in Monroe County on file in the past 138 years, dating back to 1882. (Sombrero Lighthouse is slightly older. It was constructed in 1858.)...

I dove the keys for many years and never saw any shark other than a bonnet head or a nurse shark.
I dont spear fish.
It seems everytime I hear a story about sharks in south florida its always when they are spearfishing.
Not to say it never happens.
View Quote

I dunno man.  Sometimes you can't get a fish to the dock the bulls are so thick.  Seriously, usually in march   But hammerheads will take a lot of tarpon off your line in June   Often the same in a boat  you will have to move .
That's just my experience different than yours apparently.

Eta attacks are rare only a couple I had heard of since 2016. One guy diving for lobsters got nipped in the leg and the sombrero light house one .  Definitely rare

One other posted I hadn't heard about

Dock

Goofball friends wanted to catch one . I don't

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
This is exactly why I don't go in the ocean
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just what I should be reading as I’m getting ready to go diving and snorkeling in Key West!

https://keysweekly.com/42/boy-loses-part-of-leg-after-shark-attack-in-the-florida-keys/

I’ve heard since COVID and less cruise ships, the sharks started moving in closer to the Keys due to no cruise ships dumping off shore. Whether it’s true or not, I don’t know?  

I’ll take my chances

ETA:There’s salt water crocs down there too!
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
most people don't realize, that in the Gulf of Mexico, you're rarely more than 100 yards away from a shark. It may be a tiny shark, but you are almost always in proximity of one.
View Quote

Hanging out in Destin, Florida on the beach. Everyone in the water. Walk down and out on to the big pier to see the fishermen. At least 50+ sharks on each side of that pier, mostly hammerheads, cruising in plain sight up and down the beach not 50 yards further out then where the people were swimming and wading. Right past where the waves break. Everyone splashing and having a good time oblivious. That’s all folks, that did it for me. Nope nope nope
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is a link to a live camera at a Ft. Lauderdale marina. At night, they have underwater lights that draw an amazing number of large fish, including a lot of sharks. Note, if you are checking this during daylight hours it is just a boring water view. Need to see it at night.

Ft. Lauderdale marina camera
View Quote

Thanks, this is actually really cool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Marked safe from great white attacks in Kansas.
View Quote

Does Kansas have any large rivers that eventually reach the Mississippi? Because there have been bull sharks caught in the Mississippi as far north as Illinois. And a bull shark is more likely to bite you than a great white.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Front fell off?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hooper is eaten by the shark, Quint drowns.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

Not if he read the book he isn't.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]

vertical video warning would have been more apropos.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I like the story in the movie better.    The whole angle of hooper and the chiefs wife having an affair - the movie turned out better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hooper is eaten by the shark, Quint drowns.

I like the story in the movie better.    The whole angle of hooper and the chiefs wife having an affair - the movie turned out better.

Except for Spielberg(pompous ass that he is) ruining the ending.

When Peter Benchley pointed out that a tank wouldn't blow up like that when shot, Spielberg basically said "I don't care, that's my ending. If they're eating out of my hands for 2 hours they won't care about 10 seconds".

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Bite, shock, and drown tome would be preferable to fire.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Way back I had a paperback called "Shark Attack!", compiled from Navy records (including civilian shark victims).
Some of the stories (paraphrased for brevity):

1) A doctor had his penis (yes, that) bitten off when spearfishing.

2) Some brilliant guy had his foot bitten off by 12 foot Tiger shark - in 3 inches of water. Pro Tip: don't fuck with sharks.

3) The winner was a dim bulb on a fishing charter, who caught a small dogfish.
Holding it by the tail, he joked, "I'm going to swallow this!"
The shark clamped onto the guy's neck, and did not release until they cut the jaws off the shark.
The man bled to death before the boat could return to shore. (This was in the 60's, no life-flight.)
View Quote

There was also a guy(not mentioned in that book) who caught a small shark, stuffed a grenade in its mouth, pulled the pin and threw it back.

It swam right under his boat before it blew up. Imagine explaining THAT to the insurance man.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://keysweekly.com/42/shark-attack-off-lighthouse-highly-unusual-for-3-very-important-reasons/

Eddy told Forcine he jumped in the water and immediately saw a gray shape. The shark bit him almost head on by the shoulder and then started to shake and thrash him and turn him upside down.

View Quote

Dipre, the FWC captain, said he is not aware of visitors feeding fish at Sombrero Lighthouse.

“There is no evidence of that and there have been no citations written,” he said.

Capt. Dipre is either ignorant of what goes on at Sombrero reef or is attempting to minimize the situation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Condo next to a place on Maui I have been.
Optometrist celebrating his retirement got bit in the arm and took off a leg
Never made it to shore.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/05/25/officials-man-dies-after-shark-incident-off-mauis-kaanapali-shore/
View Quote
I disliked the beach at Kaanapali.  Among other things, it dropped off too precipitously for my liking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The first hand account of the guy that watched two kids swimming to the boat from shore and accidentally right into a bunch of sharks chasing fish was a gastly retelling. 3-4 sharks on each one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is a way to avoid shark attack.
View Quote

Yep. No salt water. You guys harass me for cave and Great Lakes shipwreck diving, but there’s no sharks in caves or the Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I dunno man.  Sometimes you can't get a fish to the dock the bulls are so thick.  Seriously, usually in march   But hammerheads will take a lot of tarpon off your line in June   Often the same in a boat  you will have to move .
That's just my experience different than yours apparently.

Eta attacks are rare only a couple I had heard of since 2016. One guy diving for lobsters got nipped in the leg and the sombrero light house one .  Definitely rare

One other posted I hadn't heard about

Dock

Goofball friends wanted to catch one . I don't

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494680/IMG_20221219_193530_jpg-2641611.JPG
View Quote

Biggest white ever caught was not far from the Keys
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I disliked the beach at Kaanapali.  Among other things, it dropped off too precipitously for my liking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never made it to shore.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/05/25/officials-man-dies-after-shark-incident-off-mauis-kaanapali-shore/

Stay out of the blue water of death .
The drop off. I think they cruise it
Thats where this poor guy was
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never made it to shore.

Well now, that's comforting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’ve heard since COVID and less cruise ships, the sharks started moving in closer to the Keys due to no cruise ships dumping off shore. Whether it’s true or not, I don’t know?  

I’ll take my chances

ETA:There’s salt water crocs down there too!
View Quote

It’s like Australia it’s beautiful but scary. Poor Japanese tourist got eaten by 2 sharks his first day surfing in Australia. TWO not one but 2 great whites.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]
It's gonna be painful no matter what, but if they take your leg(s) first as they seem to do and the femoral gets torn, it's night-night pretty quick.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]

That's an awesome picture.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in the Tampa Bay area bull sharks are pretty common and they’re aggressive.You can go into the shipping channel that goes underneath the Sunshine Skyway and see Tiger Sharks.There used to be a female great white that frequented the area several years ago.She was GPS tagged and you could follow her movements.I warn people about the wildlife here but few pay me any attention.It’s not to scare people but most people just don’t pay close enough attention to their surroundings.There is a 8-10 acre lake 50 yards from my house that has several 10+ foot gators in it. I see idiots walking their dogs around it daily.I know of 2 incidents within the last 6 months where they’ve snatched peoples dogs.You have to pay attention here in Florida.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Hungry shark
Doo doo doo doo doo doo
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah well I don't have these problems, because I refuse to go into the fuckin ocean. It terrifies me
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah well I don't have these problems, because I refuse to go into the fuckin ocean. It terrifies me
View Quote

Three people killed by a freak wave at Durban's north beach
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
most people don't realize, that in the Gulf of Mexico, you're rarely more than 100 yards away from a shark. It may be a tiny shark, but you are almost always in proximity of one.
View Quote
I spend a lot of time in the NW panhandle, there are lots of tigers, bulls, and other random shark species there, including he occasional white. I don't know how many there are per square mile but I'd imagine it's in the dozens at least.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is a reason the last time I swam in the ocean is going to remain the last time. Fuckers are everywhere these days. I've even seen them in the surf just offshore.
View Quote

That'll help keep 'em at bay.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Fucking pit bull of the ocean.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't believe they've ever made it a hundred yards over the beach and into the hotel pool, so I'm probably pretty safe
View Quote
The Sharknado Documentaries say you're wrong.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.  Some marine biologists are finally admitting it. There is a reason why some animals were hunted to extinction or at least close to extinction.
View Quote

You can't be serious, no animals on this earth should be hunted to extinction only to child proof the earth.

The beauty of life is a little danger that can be offset a little bit with some caution.

I for one don't care to live in a bubble boy world because some people are scared.

Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't allow hunting to keep the balance of the food chain in check but going to extinction levels seems insane.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Damn dude, I'd love to hear the story if you care to share it.

I'm sorry for your misfortune, and hope that you're doing well.

I'd say a full recovery, but I don't think you're going to regrow your leg.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Lemons?

thats a hard no from me dawg.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

...The International Shark Attack File has only 17 unprovoked shark attacks in Monroe County on file in the past 138 years, dating back to 1882. (Sombrero Lighthouse is slightly older. It was constructed in 1858.)...

I dove the keys for many years and never saw any shark other than a bonnet head or a nurse shark.
I dont spear fish.
It seems everytime I hear a story about sharks in south florida its always when they are spearfishing.
View Quote

What does unprovoked mean? Like my baby didn't do nuffin type provoked, or callin his momma a fat whore type of thing?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What does unprovoked mean? Like my baby didn't do nuffin type provoked, or callin his momma a fat whore type of thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont spear fish.

Unprovoked is people just in the water, and they get bitten without provocation. People spearfishing very often attack nearby sharks; the commotion and blood bring them to you. I've noticed in recent years that sharks are attracted to the boat itself. The hypothesis is that fish out of season that are being thrown back in are an easy meal, this brings dolphins as well.

The biggest shark I've ever seen circled my boat two years ago, 10+ feet easy, he slowly made one circle as soon as I stopped on the "spot lock" and I never saw it again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I was staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani for a week a few years back. Snorkeled, swam, spent endless hours in the water.

A week after I left, a guy kayaking there was resting with his legs in the water. Shake bit his leg off below the knee and he bled out before getting to shore.

Swam with dolphins off the coast of Oahu the week before. It was amazing. Our guide said that a few weeks before, no dolphins…….but saw a monster tiger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Baby Shark Dance | #babyshark Most Viewed Video | Animal Songs | PINKFONG Songs for Children
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani for a week a few years back. Snorkeled, swam, spent endless hours in the water.

A week after I left, a guy kayaking there was resting with his legs in the water. Shake bit his leg off below the knee and he bled out before getting to shore.

Swam with dolphins off the coast of Oahu the week before. It was amazing. Our guide said that a few weeks before, no dolphins…….but saw a monster tiger.
View Quote

He should have gone to DQ for a Blizzard instead of a shake.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was in the water probably less than a mile away when that happened.

I was greated by a giant turtle instead  

Pretty eery seeing the helicopters and c130 (?) Circling over head for 2 days.
View Quote

Same here, was down at Kam1...
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's their turf. *shrug*
View Quote

Their store, their rules!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep. No salt water. You guys harass me for cave and Great Lakes shipwreck diving, but there’s no sharks in caves or the Great Lakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a way to avoid shark attack.

I mean...yes, if you want to just take your chances with the laws of physics and thermo, while swimming through chocolate milk, then you will always have my respect.

However...there are a lot prettier spots in the ocean, and if you aren't extremely unlucky or negligent, you can have a great time while wearing a 7mm (or less) regular wet suit, snap some pics with good viz, and still make it back to shore in time for tapas and a couple drinks (where, incidentally, the wildlife is also quite exotic).

I know which variety I prefer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean...fish ain't dumb. Shallow water is where all the young things grow, or near the shore where all the dead or stupid land stuff floats out to be eaten.

The deep ocean is like a desert...you might occasionally get some rain or food from above or below, but otherwise you are just cruising to the next better feeding ground.

Homo sapiens ain't the top of any of those food chains y'all.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There is a reason the last time I swam in the ocean is going to remain the last time. Fuckers are everywhere these days. I’ve even seen them in the surf just offshore.
View Quote

Millions of people swim in the Ocean in Hawaii every year.

Someone is killed by a shark every 3-5 years. You are probably more likely to be killed driving on the roads than swimming in the ocean.

I thought we were about facts here and not emotion?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:56:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, they pull them in from the surf constantly in TX. Use to have a coworker that had a drone set up to fly his shark line out past the breakers for some good sized ones.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I mean...fish ain't dumb. Shallow water is where all the young things grow, or near the shore where all the dead or stupid land stuff floats out to be eaten.

The deep ocean is like a desert...you might occasionally get some rain or food from above or below, but otherwise you are just cruising to the next better feeding ground.

Homo sapiens ain't the top of any of those food chains y'all.
View Quote

Sometimes your number is just up, shit happens. There was a video years back of someone jumping off of an offshore drilling rig and instantly getting torn apart by a tiger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#47]
I've seen a few videos about saltwater crocs taking people.. probably slower and worse. They even like to stake out the area for more victims until they're full. But yeah, death by shark would be an absolute nightmare way to die.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I mean, they're wading in E-coli infested water to begin with and judging by the video most of them don't know how to swim. It's a recipe for disaster I say.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I mean, they're wading in E-coli infested water to begin with and judging by the video most of them don't know how to swim. It's a recipe for disaster I say.
View Quote

I heard that last tidbit of information at the end. Disgusting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#50]
The worst thing about it is to have someone to be declared legally dead by the court system.

This happened to my cousin who disappeared like 30 years ago after he went spear fishing with his friends.

It suck for my cousin's family not knowing what happened to him on that day.  There was only speculation that he was attacked by a shark because they only found some of his gear in the area where he disappeared. Plus, since there was no body to be found, there is no way to say he was attacked by a shark listed on the legal documents and was never listed on any government reports as a shark attack.

Couple years after my cousin's disappearance, I met a family friend at our family Christmas party. He was talking about something else when he mentioned that he was at the recent shark attack that killed his friend which became the first reported shark attack death in so many years after the last known recorded attack.

In that shark attack, the friend was attacked from behind and half his body was bitten off. He died on the beach after the attack. He did not stand at a chance of survival.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top