BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The guys that run our mobile canning line. They show up late, get the line put together and then 2 fuck off for about 7 hours while one guy watches youtube on his phone and watches for jams on the lid tube station.

They're getting 9 hours of pay for about 40 minutes of actual work.

Kind of jealous.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
My last job as a field engineer and project manager for an industrial construction company was like that. I got sent out to bail out a customer on a job that was behind schedule and out of state. Me and my crew were on weird shifts, and for 3 months straight I didn’t hear from the home office or a supervisor one time except when I helped them bid some more work I scored from the customer, which I had done extensively back at home.

I began to feel like colonel Kurz and would periodically call my boss. He would ask if everything was good, tell me I was doing a good job, and then we would talk for another month or so.

It was very different from the micromanagement I was used to at my previous company.

Then I joined the army....talk about a change lol
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the Belgian Air Force. Every base or barracks has their share. Usually some old building off the beaten path, when you open the door to their office you are looking at the backside of a row of old metal lockers. You have to navigate a maze of those to get into their inner sanctum, usually well-appointed with 'unofficial' furniture.

The best were 2 warrants who were in charge of a fortress. Around the city (port) of Antwerp there is a circle of forts, build during the 1800s. Defence still owns some of them. One has a munitions factory and storage next to the Combat Engineers barracks of Burcht. When I was a lowly private there I was detailed together with a buddy to show up there for general duties. Imagine an underground fortress, with a network of bunkers and positions surrounded by water filled moats, and only one access point. In order to get into the fortress, they had to let you in. Inside was all overgrown, looking like some sort of horror movie set. A rickety stairs went up to their office, just a dusty old room with 2 metal desks and 2 chairs, nothing else. One of them would meet us there and tell us with a handwave to f*ck off, not to break anything, and find something usefull to do.

Good times were had by all.

The last day of the week he had to sign our paperwork, and he forgot his pen. He motioned us to follow him, through a backdoor up another suspect-as-hell staircase. On the upper level was their real office. It looked amazing. One side was just a long bar, complete with taps and rows and rows of liquor. On the other side they had their real office, nice wooden desks with those green-shaded lamps, big leather chairs. In the corner 2 leather Chesterfield couches in front of a bigass tv, another doorway to a full kitchen and bathroom off to one end. Big windows overlooking the courtyard of the fortress on one end, on the other side a vista of the moat and the bridge to get into the fortress. The walls were covered in wooden panelling, it looked just like one of those clubs you find in Britain. Their centerpiece was a piano, full wing. Looked like they used it, too.

I am jealous still.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
yes his employee ID number was 4... yeah single digits. He played a lot of golf and had a nice boat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I am that guy.  I have good output and results and as a result am largely forgotten. Nobody calls or visits from corporate anymore.  I send them all christmas cards and thats about it

Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found an entire office that was forgotten about.

Some years ago I was working for a huge, multi-national oilfield company. I was the regional environmental guy but pretty much just took care of all kinds of shit.  I had just done several years as a military contractor but have a background in environmental science.  Pretty soon I was doing all kinda shit... theft? I'll run an investigation.  Regulatory shit, I'll take care of it.  People needed firing? I'll go do it.  Whatever...

So I'm looking at some of our facility information and ask someone about a facility way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere around Amarillo.  Several people told me it had been closed and sold off years ago.  Nope... we still own it and everything appears active. There are permits and everything.

Fuck it... I'll drive up there and check it out.

Roll up about lunch time and there's an old pickup parked under an awning.  Ok... utilities are on.  It's all locked up, so I break in.

It's weird... it looks like this office has been frozen in time for 20 years.  All the HR posters and shit on the wall are out of date, everything's dated... a couple of computers are old as fuck.  But there's a stack of paperwork on a desk and an ashtray with a couple of stubbed out cigarette butts in it. I mean, people were working. In the utility bay/garage there are tracks where a truck drove in and parked.

About the time I was thinking, "This is really fucking weird", there's an older guy standing in the front doorway... "Umm... Can I help you? Are you from Corporate?"

Long story short, there are three guys that work there... who have worked at this office for between 15-20 years.  Two field guys and a supervisor who spent about half his time in the field. They had some small time Mom-and-Pop clients that kept them busy, did their work, got regular deliveries of chemicals and shit, and hadn't seen anyone from corporate for NINE FUCKING YEARS.  The supervisor didn't even know who he was supposed to report to.  They just did their work, turned in their paperwork, did their time sheets and didn't make waves.

Couple of years back, they needed a new utility truck and put in a requisition... One day a transporter showed up to drop off a new one and pick up the old one.  They kept getting paid and kept getting regular raises and bonuses every year.

Alright... nothing else to do here, I guess.  I just left.  I told my bosses, "Nope... That office is still active" and never went into detail.  Only response I got was, "Huh... No shit?" and that was the end of it.

For all I know, those dudes are still there.
View Quote
That’s awesome.

For a couple of years back in the 90’s I worked in a office on the 10th floor of a hospital with 2 other guys, generating reports. Nothing was on the 10th floor except an observation deck and utilities (elevator rooms, generator rooms, etc.). Our door was a big steel door that looked like a utility room but step inside and it was a nice 3 desk office. Once in awhile a random doctor or patient’s family member would wander up to look out over the observation deck, and then by chance open our door. One time the chief of cardiology peered in and asked “what’s this place”. He was also the board chairman and didn’t know who we were or what we did. No one except a mid-level manager knew we existed. Some people didn’t even know there was a 10th floor. I had the highest corner window office in the building while the hospital CEO was down on the 2nd floor. It was great.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think that is possible at any business where I have worked for the past 30+ years since they are all small businesses with a limited number of employees.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Boy, would they be fucking with the wrong guy if they did that to me.

I'd have a nurse wheeling me in there in a wheelchair with an IV at 90 years old.
View Quote
You make me laugh
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I would go fucking crazy if I didn't have something to do all the time. I don't know how some of you guys do it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been that guy.

First time was in '09.  I had a good 6-mo stretch where all I had to do was move 6-8 pallets with a forklift in a 8-10hr shift.  I was hired onto a new production line as the line puller.  The palletizer was automated...so all I had to do was sit on my forklift and wait for a pallet to come down the line so I could put it up.  Since the production line was all new, they were working the kinks out of it upstream, and training the other employees how to run their respective machines (more complicated than mine).  I spent A LOT of time resting my eyes parked in the corner of the warehouse.  
Yes, we'd work 6-7 days a week at times, but on Saturday and Sundays, I would be the only person in a 500,000 sq-ft warehouse.

After a year of that, I applied for a new position in a new warehouse we got a few miles down the road.  I was the 2nd shift unloader, working 6pm-230am.  Well, there was one other person there until 8pm.  After that, I had the entire place to myself.  The truck driver would bring me one load every hour from the previously mentioned warehouse.  It took about 15 minutes to unload it.  So I spent the first 2 hours putting around on a forklift looking busy.  After the other person left, I sat in the break room and watched TV.  When I heard the driver back into a dock, I'd go out, unload it, then be back to the break room to watch TV for 45 more minutes.  Rinse and repeat until 3am.  A lot of times, I'd skip a couple loads and watch an entire movie.  When the movie was over, it would only take 30-45 minutes of work to catch back up again.  I saw my boss maybe 3-4 times a year.  This went on for 5 years.

Currently, and for the last few years, I work 3rd shift doing inventory.  I have 3hrs of work to do in 8.  I come in, pick up some paperwork, do about 30-40mins of computer work.  Spend 2hrs counting the floor, then another 30-40mins of computer work, then I'm done.  I'm in a private office in the corner of the warehouse.  I do have to share it with my coworker, but it's just the two of us, one unloader, and one floor cleaner in the whole place.   I watch 3hrs of YouTube a night.  Sometimes, I'll get on a forklift and just straighten up the warehouse when I'm done with what I need to do.  Kick back with my foot on the dash and just putt around.  I see my boss every 3-4 months...only because I kinda like him and we just catch up on chit-chat and what's happening in the company.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
me.. I am set off by my self and left to my own devices. I do IT work. Then again i am productive and self motivated and excel in my career. So am i forgotten or just trust to do the right thing and grow on my own? your call.

Been going on 4 or so years now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have reached the point in my professional career where I am not going to advance any further but I am still about three years from full retirement. It has become obvious to me that I have been put out to pasture. Slowly, both my responsibilities and perks are being assigned to other (younger) employees. I still have my title, my pay grade and benefits but I am definitely being benched to make room on the field for younger, more ambitious employees moving up behind me.

I am hoping they will let me stud with a couple of the really cute young ladies in my section

Seriously though, I don't really mind. I have reached that place in life where I no longer have anything to prove to anybody, including myself. I am welcoming being ignored.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is my dream to be that guy.
View Quote
me too.  Especially if we are referring the OP's guy in Spain somewhere.  Lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes. She’s a lesbian who hasn’t seen the inside of a cruiser since Moses was chief and was “taken under the wing” of an older lesbian commander. She hasn’t done shit since.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found an entire office that was forgotten about.

Some years ago I was working for a huge, multi-national oilfield company. I was the regional environmental guy but pretty much just took care of all kinds of shit.  I had just done several years as a military contractor but have a background in environmental science.  Pretty soon I was doing all kinda shit... theft? I'll run an investigation.  Regulatory shit, I'll take care of it.  People needed firing? I'll go do it.  Whatever...

So I'm looking at some of our facility information and ask someone about a facility way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere around Amarillo.  Several people told me it had been closed and sold off years ago.  Nope... we still own it and everything appears active. There are permits and everything.

Fuck it... I'll drive up there and check it out.

Roll up about lunch time and there's an old pickup parked under an awning.  Ok... utilities are on.  It's all locked up, so I break in.

It's weird... it looks like this office has been frozen in time for 20 years.  All the HR posters and shit on the wall are out of date, everything's dated... a couple of computers are old as fuck.  But there's a stack of paperwork on a desk and an ashtray with a couple of stubbed out cigarette butts in it. I mean, people were working. In the utility bay/garage there are tracks where a truck drove in and parked.

About the time I was thinking, "This is really fucking weird", there's an older guy standing in the front doorway... "Umm... Can I help you? Are you from Corporate?"

Long story short, there are three guys that work there... who have worked at this office for between 15-20 years.  Two field guys and a supervisor who spent about half his time in the field. They had some small time Mom-and-Pop clients that kept them busy, did their work, got regular deliveries of chemicals and shit, and hadn't seen anyone from corporate for NINE FUCKING YEARS.  The supervisor didn't even know who he was supposed to report to.  They just did their work, turned in their paperwork, did their time sheets and didn't make waves.

Couple of years back, they needed a new utility truck and put in a requisition... One day a transporter showed up to drop off a new one and pick up the old one.  They kept getting paid and kept getting regular raises and bonuses every year.

Alright... nothing else to do here, I guess.  I just left.  I told my bosses, "Nope... That office is still active" and never went into detail.  Only response I got was, "Huh... No shit?" and that was the end of it.

For all I know, those dudes are still there.
View Quote
That's actually kind of incredible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
There used to be some that weren't forgotten, they were successfully repressed.  But when business dipped, the accountants and time study analysts figured out who they were and they either got let go or reassigned to another area/supervisor.  Most of those who were reassigned were essentially "changing decks chairs on the Titanic"; which is to say, they still did nothing.

Be well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Working 10 years security, and private investigation did that for me.  Nights weekends holidays no supervisors.  Read many books, wasted much life resources.
View Quote
@Thorgrimm_the_Vain
Why would you consider it a waste? By your thinking, all jobs would be a waste of "life resources." The point of any job is to pay bills so you can do what makes you happy, right? Most of the time, the two never coincide.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
More specifically, in the course of your career, have you or someone you've known been essentially left in a corner somewhere at your company and forgotten about for a long time?  Still getting paid mind you, but essentially left to do stuff on their own without any supervisor checking in on them or anything.  How long did it last?  What was the nature of the work?

I thought about this after reading a news article a month or two ago about a guy who worked for some local government office in Spain who had been on the payroll for like 20 years and just didn't even come into work anymore.
View Quote
Had a master sergeant transfer in from Delta Force- within a few weeks of deciding he didnt like what he had been assigned, he drove around the area until he found a building with another government agency that had an empty office, moved into that office, and printed up a sign labeling his newly acquired office a liaison office.

Thing is, he never asked anyone in our chain of command or from the other agency if he could have that space. But no one tried to stop him, and so he just started doing his own thing from there.

He got away with it for at least two years...was still there when I transferred.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I heard of a guy that came from another facility to provide support to our site (before I was employed here).  They forgot about him for a year or so.  Totally forgot he was even here.

I had a supervisor that forgot I worked for him.  His office was in another building and he would come out of the production floor to check on his inspectors but never to my area which he couldn't access anyway.  He had to knock on my door to get in I'm kinda out of sight out of mind.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#21]
how many affirmative action employees in government?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I went to my other office the other day, where I own a pest control company and my wife runs it.

She had multiple employees come tell her someone was out in the shop looking around and I even had our lead technician stop me and ask what I was doing!

That’s how little I go there LOL
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I actually worked a couple years in a lab where I was basically left to my own devices. Eventually, I got board as hell and quit. In retrospect, I should have kept that job, it wasn't bad money either.

There's only so much web surfing, music downloading, video gaming you can do before going stir crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I did my work, but 90% of my time there was spent babysitting lab equipment while it ran automated tests.
View Quote
I have spent a lot of time babysitting tests.

Except in DoD land where I was we didn’t have smartphones yet and the computers weren’t on the internet. I’d go get about 10-12 books at the library every Saturday to keep me busy during the week.

I’d get up at 7-8pm, eat breakfast, then shop or do whatever (reload ammo) till 11 when I left to go to work. Eat lunch around 3am. Leave at 7am, either go for a long walk or to the range and shoot. Eat dinner, watch some TV or a movie, go to sleep around 10am. Rinse repeat 6-7 days a week.

I’d go to a pistol match Saturday morning after my Friday shift, and church on Saturday night, besides that and the handful of people on my shift, no one knew I existed. It was awesome for a year or so then I was ready for it to be over, had to quit to get off that ride, was ready to have a social life again.

On the plus side I got really good at shooting pistols My cat was also happy that the idiot human had finally figured out you are supposed to sleep all day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Had a lady who used to manage our car/truck fleet. At some time she moved her office from the garage location to an empty office in the HQ building. She quietly did her job filling out insurance forms and leasing new cars for 10 years through email and phone. The garage people thought she was in the HQ and HQ thought she was at the garage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#26]
ROAD NCO's...usually find them at Range Control.

Medically separating the military, it's a long bureaucratic process.

By regulation, since I was Nat'l Guard on Active Duty, I didn't really belong to my unit, which reverted to part time status, and the medical unit was in California....my home of record was in Eastern WA and the regs said you are to be home, healing with family and utilize civilian care.

OK, I'd heard of Fort Livingroom, but never thought I'd see it.

I was told to secure a Supervisor/desk/job at a Federal facility. Since I "knew a guy" in recruiting, I asked if he could secure me a desk at a station. Cool, great. I passed contact info from the left to fight and forgot about it until I got off of leave 2 weeks later.

I was given ARNG Recruiting polo shirts, signed for a set of keys.

A very long time later, I was Retired.

The End.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I worked as a drywall tapper in my early 20’s. I was good at the job, and my boss would send me to the smaller job sites ( something one tapper could do alone, and I was pretty fast at it) to follow a day or two behind the hangers. I was pretty much all by myself, and I kinda set my own hours.

The sanding part really suxed!

It was hard work, but I did enjoy the freedom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I was that guy..... I took a job at "Goliath National Bank" where I was supposed to be part ofa project to better integrate the lines of business. It paid a very nice six figure salary, plus 30% bonus.  I started on Dec. 15th.  and by Jan. 20th the entire $26 million spend was cancelled. The bank was having a down revenue quarter and needed to shore up EPS.  So basically what I had been hired to do no longer existed.

I spent the next couple of months largely inventing work.  I held conference calls, went to meetings, and tried to get some of the items I had been hired to oversee enacted. Eventually I realized that no one knew where I was (my boss was on the other side of the country), cared what I did, and that all the initiatives I had been hired for were DOA.  I told my boss that I had nothing to do, and his response was "Enjoy it".

Soooooo, I just started not going to the office (which at this point was fairly empty after a series of layoffs). I would log in at home and answer emails as needed.  I'd hit the gym, did projects around the house, you name it. I would pop into the office a couple of times every week, but I'd arrive at 10:00 and be gone by 2:00. While there I pretty much surfed the Web.  This lasted for a year!!!  While it sounds awesome, and it was for a short time, I'm Type A, and needed to feel like I was accomplishing something.  I eventually told my boss I found another job.  He wasn't surprised, but gave me an excellent reference, and even paid me my annual bonus $$$.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Lots of people collecting state paychecks that don't even show to work thanks to our current and former Republican governor's.  Not all the swamps are blue. They put political insiders out on "emergency leave" for months on end at $7k-&$10k/mo.  Look up Rene Truan, let me help.. George P. Bush fired the son of former DNC senator Carlos Truan for some sort of malfeasance then paid him $35k over the course of months hidden as salary while on emergency leave... Just the Bushes paying off the DNC?

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/08/14/george-p-bush-land-office-faces-internal-threat/

https://infogram.com/general-land-office-emergency-leave-1g0n2ow49yw0p4y
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am an ER nurse for the VA. Literally thousands of employees at the hospital that exist only to have meetings with each other. Oh, and of course to do their most to obstruct vets from getting care.  If the OP is looking for a job where he is not required to work or produce, look no farther than the VA.
View Quote
This is true of most large health care corporations. My company does contract work for the largest company in this area. THE most fucked up, dysfunctional, incompetent organization I've ever dealt with.  No one can be fired for anything. I could go on for days. We are considering canceling all of our contracts with them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Worked at one of the "Big 3" as an IT contractor. Huge design center building. Had offices in the basement, usually not the "first string" politically connected employees.

One dungeon-like section (great big room, always dark and gloomy, hundred or so desks) had offices along one wall. Fairly good sized offices but you rarely saw people in them. The very back corner office was a guy whose desk nameplate said he worked on the design team for a car they hadn't made in a couple of years. Office was cluttered and messy. The guy was there every so often. Old dude, short sleeve dress shirt type. No computer on his desk (you used to see this occasionally but he was the last one I saw, all of those old technophobes either got canned or retired).

I'm positive he just kind of fell out of the org chart. Out of the way office, maybe was a lateral report to someone, looked like they forgot about him. Maybe he had a couple of years until his pension and someone was looking out for him. Never saw him do any work ever.
View Quote
I knew a guy that worked the last ten years before retirement showing up at 6:30 to make coffee and nobody saw him after 8am. I was told he worked at the company since the owner opened the doors and the owner kept him on full time when his position went away just because he felt bad letting him go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I was once ignored for an entire week with no assignment except to be "On call." Didn't get a call the whole time. We think the guy covering for my boss just didn't know who I was or what I knew and was afraid to ask so he just didn't call me. After that, when he covered for the regular boss guys would give me a heads up and when I went to morning lineup I would subtly alter my appearance. I normally wear a hat and glasses, so one day I would show up without either. Instead of wearing my uniform I would wear street clothes. I would shave my beard and keep a mustache then the next day be clean shaven. I'd carry a hammer grunt instead of talking so he thought I was a millwright. It actually worked for a few months while the regular boss was taking a lot of time off for medical issues. Eventually the guy learned who I was and I had ran out of disguises.  I actually started going out on calls on my own to keep the ruse going.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your VA sucks.

You should come up here where I'd say 95+% of the patients I see in cardiology love this hospital.

This VA hospital.

View Quote
He's partially right. I work for the VA in IT, and they switched to these tiered "service lines" a few years back. The idea was you have groups that specialize in this or that.
In reality it's an excuse for nobody to get anything fucking done. It turned tickets into a giant merry go round where nobody claims responsibility for shit that gets escalated, they just pass it right back down without doing anything. There are THOUSANDS of these jobs, and the majority of the people that do them fucking suck at life.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I worked for a seed cleaning & packaging plant during high school; mainly as a maintenance helper and occasionally bagging seed and doing other production related stuff in the warehouse.  Because I wasn't 18 yet, the plant manager had to do some paperwork magic to have me on as an employee.  I worked 48 hours a week all summer after high school, and during the middle of the summer, the plant was bought by an international company.  We didn't see any real changes at the plant other than we started painting some building trim to match the new company's colors, and changed the signs along the highway.
Move off to college mid august...randomly go check my college mail after first 2 weeks, and there's 2 pay checks, each for 40 hours in the mail.  Cool...payroll must be 2 weeks behind processing or something.  check my mail the following week, another pay check.  Sweet.  I let it ride, knowing the money was coming from europe now, not the formerly independent plant.  got 6 more checks before somebody figured it out.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Kinda the spot I am in but not really "forgotten". I am the only IT guy at the plant, don't answer to anyone on-site, I only "answer" to the corporate head of IT and he lets me do my own thing, fill out my own yearly performance reviews, approve my own time sheets, approve my own time off, approve my own expense reports, no real oversight whatsoever. I could slack off twice as much as I already do and no one would hardly notice but I like what I do and I like my coworkers at the plant so I put in a good effort. Issue tickets come in, I fix them, stay proactive on my infrastructure, and fuck around on the internet the rest of the day. No set working hours, just get 40-50 hours in a week, show up whenever I want and leave for the day whenever I want, usually come in pretty early around 6:30-7am and leave 3-3:30pm. Some days I have nothing to do, some days I am swamped. I feel pretty isolated at times but its also nice not to have to worry about or be involved with any of the typical office drama.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a psychologist who became inept and was unable to effectively and independently evaluate students. I stopped all of her student evaluations and just had her sit at her desk for a year or two before she decided to retire.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#37]
When I started at my old agency they had a contractor to support a legacy system who had managed to get his work hours set up in the evenings alledgedly to support west coast sites.  He would roll in around 3pm then around 4pm hit the bar in the basement of the office building and do happy hour with the management and other staffers then supposedly would go back upstairs and work afterwards- seemed to me he pretty much stayed at the bar.  This went on for years until a guy who didn't like him was assigned to manage him and he cancelled the contract.

We had another conractor who they made a govt employee. His supervisor was very hand-off and afraid of confrontation and over the years the guy basically did little or no work once he was a govt employee. He would sit around office writing poems/drawing prictures etc (was an eccentric guy).  Despite this his manager sent him to a local 6 month program to get certified as Novell Engineer.  Program was expensive but allowed students to come back indefinetly and audit classes if they needed extra study for the certification test. The guy "audited class" for over two years supposedly - was rarely ever at work.  Finally a re-org was done and his new supervisor investigated his attendance at the training site - found out he had to sign in the days he was there and that they showed he audited classes on one or two days a year tops - pretty much had just used it as an excuse to not go to work.  They did take some action against him and made him pay back some leave and money.  A few years later he quit to start his own web business selling his artwork on t-shits/coffee cups and spammed the entire agency with links to his web site - was pretty funny.  Wonder what happened to him - was a real character.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It is my dream to be that guy.
View Quote
Truth.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Met a few while working for Motorola.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I drive a forklift in a warehouse. I really don't have to interact with people if I choose not to.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am an ER nurse for the VA. Literally thousands of employees at the hospital that exist only to have meetings with each other. Oh, and of course to do their most to obstruct vets from getting care.  If the OP is looking for a job where he is not required to work or produce, look no farther than the VA.
View Quote
I'll pile on.  I used to be a clinical pharmacist at the VA.  Basically, I was the Pharmer attached to a medicine clinic.  Saw the patients after their provider did, counseled meds, fixed screw-ups, general customer service professional stuff.

Then, a water main broke.  Flooded the medicine clinic, the other two next door, and my office.  Remodel down past the studs, I'm without a clinic to pharm over for something like 6 months.  I asked my supervisors and Chief what I should do, and get no direction.  I ended up taking over a desk in the Pharmacoeconomist/Student Preceptor's area.  He was my preceptor for my residency and a good friend, so I try to stay busy helping him out as much as I can.

Then when the clinic space reopens, everyone discovers that they are short space for the Pharmers.  I get one of the short straws, and since I'm happy, remain where I am, with my preceptor buddy, in a different wing and different floor of the hospital.  That went on for 4 years, until they reassigned the student activities to another (bitch) pharmacist.  I'm deskless again, when the new Outpatient Director notices, and grabs me as his 'clinical mind'.  I spent the next two years with him, and the next three with his replacement when he retired.  All this time, I'm asking for shit to do, my job description to be updated, finding shit to keep me busy and help out, whatever it took to get 'right'.  After damn near 10 years of that shit, I quit and went into the PBM world.

About a year after I started at my new job at the PBM, I got an email from one of my old VA Pharmer buddies.  It was the latest VA Employee newsletter, with a anniversary section, congratulating me on 15 years.  Yes, I hadn't set foot in the place in something like 18 months.  A few months later, I got another email from my buddy--the Chief of the dept. brought it up as a housekeeping item in his monthly staff meeting...I was verbally congratulated for 15 years.  W...T...F...?

No luck on still getting a .gov paycheck, but if I get a mention at 20 years...I'm filing for a goddamn VA pension.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought about this after reading a news article a month or two ago about a guy who worked for some local government office in Spain who had been on the payroll for like 20 years and just didn't even come into work anymore.
View Quote
Mystery solved
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#44]
My last job had a lot of down time. Answering phones/emails/radio/etc. On weekends it was dead. I was able to finish a degree doing this/taking online classes. The place ran 24/7 so midnights were dead.

Nothing motivates you to finish tedious homework like getting paid to do it.

They also covered tuition 100%.

Boss was fine with this as long as the job was a priority.

People browsed facebook, watched movies, etc. But I tried to be as constructive as possible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah. A jackoff CW5 that landed with the wheels up.

Not like hes a great guy that had a bad day, no hes a worthless fuck that was negligent. The unit put him in a windowless office until he could retire at 28 years give or take.  Of course clowns like him totally stagnated W3 promotions and to a small extent W4 promotions.

Same douchebag was telling me about his NTC kill record in Apaches.....he told me this story in 2014.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#47]
You see... we fixed the glitch.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Back in 2008 you had to take work where ever you could.  I wound up working for an e-commerce web host whose primary customer was Gamelink.  Technically they were sister companies, but on the books I didn't work for the adult entertainment industry or so I kept telling myself.  The next time you guys are on a train and you see someone watching porn on their phone, I probably owe you an apology.  I helped build the first video encoding lab for the porn industry.

My story about a forgotten employee is about Kevin.  He was in his mid 20s.  After the encoding lab was built, his job was quality control of the output.  He had an office tucked away on the middle floor, with the lab humming around him.  After the lab was finished, Kevin's job was to watch porn all day.  He needed to ensure the videos were encoded correctly for each platform, and that the audio and video was ok.  I first met Kevin when I finished setting his lab.  I didn't see him again for about a month, when he asked me to drop to check one of the machines.  You'd think watching porn all day would be a dream job for some people.  Kevin's hair color went from an earthy brown to white gray the next time I saw him.  I can't tell you what kind of porn did it to him, because he would have had to watch something in every category.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, and he was getting paid a WHOLE lot more for doing nothing than I was for doing actual work.

They gave him a corner office and reduced his staff from about 65 to zero.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I was that guy in my last job.  New orders came over the printer.  Had to answer emails and intercoms, maybe an occasional phone call.

Other than that I surfed the net all day long.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top