BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I find the M1911s recoil quite manageable as well. Honestly, the worst pistols I've shot recoil-wise aren't large caliber at all, they're just blowbacks. The worst of the lot is the Astra 600, aka the Pipewrench. 9x19 Parabellum in a blowback. One magazine is enough for that one, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was nervous upon firing a 1911 for the first time. Recoil wasn't nearly what legend had it to be.

Also nervous on firing a .357, and a .44 magnum. The .44 was a bit stout, but the .357 was in a properly large gun so it wasn't painful.

The only other one I was 'afraid to shoot' for a while was a Savage .32 pistol. The safety bar had been bent, so you could fire it with the safety on. Once that part was replaced, no problems.

I find the M1911s recoil quite manageable as well. Honestly, the worst pistols I've shot recoil-wise aren't large caliber at all, they're just blowbacks. The worst of the lot is the Astra 600, aka the Pipewrench. 9x19 Parabellum in a blowback. One magazine is enough for that one, thanks.

Agreed. The most brutal recoil I've endured is easily a .380 Walther PPK. Once decided to fire 200 rounds through it during a range session... never again. My hands were sore for two weeks afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington 770 in 300 win mag, that lightweight son of a bitch beats the hell out of me.
After 6 shots i am flinching badly and can't hit shit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My PPK makes me bleed every time I shoot it.  I'm not afraid to, but I sure don't enjoy it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
a 6.5 Carcano.  Not the recoil, just the thought that the bolt may exit the receiver and enter my head.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a vz24 for Christmas when I was in my early teens back when big 5 had them and enfields for cheap. In hindsight shoulda asked for the enfield. The reason being my vz24 was most likely built by slave labor in WWII and I think this particular rifle was made to fail with a faulty heat treat. I think this because the safety was brittle enough that it broke off just changing its position. As such I have no desire to drop a full size rifle round in it and touch it off to dispell my fears or prove them. So if I ever pick it up from my parents house along with the other rifles of my youth I want to shoot, it will be a wall hanger.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
a 6.5 Carcano.  Not the recoil, just the thought that the bolt may exit the receiver and enter my head.
View Quote

I've been collecting surplus rifles for awhile, and I've never heard of that before. The Carcano is a pretty darn strong action. I have no issues shooting my M91 Carcano, and it's a pleasant and fairly accurate rifle to shoot. At one point in time someone (iirc, he worked for Hornady) was asked to prove that Carcanos were crap by blowing one up and he had to resort to filling the case with high explosives to blow the action up.

There have, however, been documented cases of this happening with K31 rifles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Pfft ...

I had one of these for a while.

P-45 Liberator

"The gun to get a gun."

Stamped single-shot .45

The Allieds air dropped a metric shit ton of these things to resistance fighters during WWII.

I offered dozens of folks a chance to shoot it, but had no takers.

It was a cool little piece of history.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
never, bring it on
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
.45-70 Marlin kicked my ass. I tried hard to get used to it, but just couldn't.  Admittedly, I never ran anything but full power loads through it. I should have started with black powder level loads and worked up.

I've got a nice Stevens 311 12ga. with about a 17" barrel.  Fired both barrels twice with 2-3/4" high brass #2s. Never again.

I also gave up on the 3.5" 12ga. turkey loads. If I can't kill it with a 3" shell, it walks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, and a gun I'm vaguely thinking about getting but have no reason to get - a .458 SOCOM AR pistol. The idea is appealing, but I'm not sure if I would look that good with a buffer tube embedded in my collar bone. Still a cool idea.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
45-70 derringer
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 and a .44 Mag derringer my friend had.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
First time I shot a 500 S&W I was a bit apprehensive.....

First time I shot the .577 Snider carbine (brought back from AFG) I restored, I was more than a bit apprehensive......

All went well however.....

I had a Chinese detachable-mag broomhandle rip off about 7-8 rounds full auto before breaking the bolt stop, and leaving the bolt dangling out of the back of the upper/bbl. extension......will never shoot one again....and immediately sold it as a parts gun....If I would have been shooting it attached to the buttstock, bad things would have happened...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not afraid to shoot it, but a lot of people are:

ETA: It's a 12 ga o/u AOW with 9 1/4" barrels.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Thompson Contender in 357 Herrit with a 10 " barrel. To make 357 Herrit you take 30-30 , shorten it about 1/8" or a 1/4" and blow it out to .357.  Got to be in the right mood and the recoil will take you out of the mood after 3 or 4 shots.

12Ga slugs , not a fan , slugs in a pistol grip nope,nope nope

If somebody wants me to shoot their gun at my club range and it is hotter than a 308 I always start offhand before I go to the bench

Except for a 38sp snubby (642) I pretty much stay away from any of the  alloy guns.

I own a Lew Horton special 2 3/4" (or is it 3?) 44 magnum which recoils plenty with heavy loads but it is a chunky gun with lots of weight , I shoot that ok but the alloy 357 and 44mag guns I don't want to know about.

I have a full sized marlin in 45/70 which will supposedly handle some fairly stiff loads , I often shoot it with my mild trapdoor loads which is fine and I ran a handful of medium loads which were not horrible but not lots of fun. I don't really hunt so there is no reason to run the hotter loads and I have several trapdoors so I am not real interested in having the hotter loads around. I once shot someones guide gun with hot loads and it wasn't fun

I took a NRA basic rifle course with a handful of other folks , we were all sitting for our instructor tag. One of the other instructors to be was a director at a zoo that had some big dangerous animals (lions ,tigers and bears for real ) . His reason to be a instructor was because he had to teach a bunch of animal caretakers how to shoot rifles in case any animals were to get loose . I believe the lightest caliber gun they had was a 375 H&H. The folks he had to instruct were academic types who for the most part had possibly only shot a .22 as a kid and many of them were
fairly light build women . Many of us suggested he get some lighter rifles for training so he could start the zoo keepers off with something more reasonable and he more or less said he didn't have the budget or time for that and he was going to have them shoot the heavy stuff  
the other crazy part is this was a inner city zoo. Can you imagine someone who isn't very big or experienced cutting loose in a city with a safari gun?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was 5 my dad made me shoot his duck gun. Busted my face open on the receiver. Dads fix was a band aid and a high five. Mom beat the crap out of dad, took me to grandmas who glued my face shut. Still have a small scar under my right eye.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pfft ...

I had one of these for a while.

http://i.imgur.com/v3fpAFj.png

P-45 Liberator

"The gun to get a gun."

Stamped single-shot .45

The Allieds air dropped a metric shit ton of these things to resistance fighters during WWII.

I offered dozens of folks a chance to shoot it, but had no takers.

It was a cool little piece of history.

View Quote

There was a fair number produced but I was under the impression very few were ever issued or dropped

I wouldn't give two shits about a reproduction but if someone had a real one that they were shooting I would have to take a shot or two just for the history
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a .500 Nitro Express at an out-of-the-way estate sale in '99 or '00....not scary but not really fun either.

Built a faux "elephant" gun from a 10ga. side by side cut to 20in. and added express sights....regulated pretty well at 30 yards. Owner picked it up and promptly went home and fired it, both barrels simultaneously and broke his collar bone. 1.75 ounce slugs at 1400fps can be brutal if you are stupid. Sold it a week later for him to a much smarter individual. I have fired it several times, not scary but it does command respect or it WILL fuck you up.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
My brother's son recieved a shotgun from a family member (his mom's side) when he was 13.
Because I am the family gun nut, they were so excited to show me- a honest to god Winchester 1911 12g "Widow Maker".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_model_1911_shotgun

I told my brother what it was; and we took it apart, removed the bolt and told the kid he could hang it on the wall someday.

They were not interested in seeing what it was worth.  Wanted to keep it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Um. Not that I remember.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a few 5.56 SBRs that I elect not to shoot when I know I'll be shooting indoors or in a booth. Those things are tooth rattling headaches in a bag in close quarters.

I also have a few long out of production "collection" guns that I choose not to shoot out of fear something important on them will break and I will be SOL trying to find replacement parts.
View Quote

Really? I regularly shoot an LWRC SBR on full auto at indoor ranges. I double up on ear protection but I don't notice it to be that bad.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Universal 30 carbine when I first inherited it (sentimental value) since I was unsure it replacement parts where out there.

Now I shoot the shit out of it and it runs 100%.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Remington 770 in 300 win mag, that lightweight son of a bitch beats the hell out of me.
After 6 shots i am flinching badly and can't hit shit.
View Quote

I didn't know they even made those in 300 Win Mag...I thought mine in 7mm Rem Mag was probably overpowered for a 770.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The only time I was ever nervous about shooting a gun was the first time I ever shot a handgun. A Cougar 8040 in 40. But that anxiety went away pretty quick.

I have shot all sorts of rifles. But the craziest were probably a FA HK91 and a Remington 375 ultra mag. I rapid fired the 375 very accurate gun. Was able to keep all the hits on a target the size of a typical adult hand at 75 yards.

Should have been a bit nervous firing a s&w 500. Those things are frighteningly easy to double tap.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Should have been a bit nervous firing a s&w 500. Those things are frighteningly easy to double tap.
View Quote

I think there was a case when someone died from doing that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like the .30cal mags are winning so far.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#28]
My M99 cleared my sinuses when I shot it.
It's funny case it didn't actually hurt to shoot, it was just the concussive force of the gas and the recoil that made me dizzy. Sold it eventually.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh, I forgot...
I needed a Contender once for a build. Asked my FFL what was on sale. He came back with 10mm or 45-70.
I told him I didn't need a 10mm...
Buddy and I took the 45-70 Contender out with one box of factory Federal ammo.
We fired 10 rounds each. Bruised both our hands.
That frame is now a 7-30 Waters rifle
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a Ruger LCR in .357. One cylinder of .357 was enough. Gun wasn't bad with .38's though.

Also had a very very rough Mosin 44, I paid $40 for it and never did shoot it and traded it for a $100 gift card at a gun buy back.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not even crazy enough to mess around with those silly Scandium Magnum revolvers. If I ever get the urge to buy one I'll just go out into the garage and beat the heck out of my hand with a hammer for awhile, same effect, less cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 329. Scandium/Titanium .44 Mag. 25 ounces of torture.
Fucking brutal to shoot but it did make me smile afterwords.

That is another one I forgot about. I don't own one, but came close to owning one.
A guy at my club was selling one and I couldn't wait to buy it.
He made the mistake of letting me shoot it first and I said, thanks but no thanks.
Again, at the time, I was really into shooting heavy caliber revolvers with max loads, but that thing was a little bit over the top for me.

I own a regular steel framed 629 with a 3" barrel and it is a pussy cat compared to this alloy framed 329. I have fired that 629 with absolute max loaded Buffalo Bore ammo and didn't think anything of it. Well actually I was a little disappointed at how mild it was. That 329 was at the next level up.

Yeah, I'm not even crazy enough to mess around with those silly Scandium Magnum revolvers. If I ever get the urge to buy one I'll just go out into the garage and beat the heck out of my hand with a hammer for awhile, same effect, less cost.

Ha.  I haven't shot a revolver that bad, but I have shot someone's airweight .357 snubnose with some Buffalo Bore ammo.

I fired a shot and I said thanks I'll stick with our semi autos.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
S&W 500 8", great gun, shoots nicely and recoils like a mofo.
View Quote

While I don't own either one, I don't really have any desire to shoot the .500 S&W or the .454 Casull. With that said, I do own and shoot numerous Glocks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson scandium j-frame in 357mag.

Would MUCH rather shoot the 500 Smith.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Lol, a guy I know from my local gunshop took his own and his wife's scandium .357 out to the line. He thought it would be fun to dual wield both and fire them. He ended up with some mild powder burns and fucked up his wrists enough he had to go to the chiropractor.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I think I'll let my stunt double pattern my Mossberg Ultimag 3 1/2" mags next time

Not bad in the field though
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think I'll let my stunt double pattern my Mossberg Ultimag 3 1/2" mags next time

Not bad in the field though
View Quote

I came here to post this. I have a 24" ported 3.5" 835 that just kicks the living shit out of you with turkey loads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I was quite nervous the first time I fired a rifle with my form 1 can.  But I'm never nervous about new guns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
never been afraid to shoot anything I've owned, but the .450 guide gun I used to own made me cringe a bit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#38]
My 3.75" Super Blackhawk .44 Mag w/ full-house loads.  With light magnums and Specials, it's a dream.  With the heavy stuff, I think it's trying to break my wrist.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a "baby browning" that bites the hell out of my hand. I've litterally came back with blood on my face and shirt. one slipup and the sharp slide cuts a couple of precision groves in your hand. only handgun I have that makes me flinch.

cool little gun though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a S&W 460 with a 5" ported  barrel I think.  I have not shot it yet.  I have a couple different loads of ammo for it

Also have a chinese Broomhandle copy in 9mm that I haven't shot yet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I got to fire a 4 bore some years ago. It was a fucking rodeo.

That's the only firearm I didn't want to fire again and I've shot a bunch of the 'scary calibers'.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got two (go ahead and laugh) that I am afraid to shoot.  The first is a High-Standard G-B in .22 LR.  It has been relegated to the safe after I got home from the range one night and started to clean it.  I then realized that one of the rails on the slide was beginning to crack and split from the rest of the slide.  Yes, it is a .22.  But, I still don't relish the thought of getting smacked in the face by the slide if it should completely fail and separate from the frame.  Every now and then, I'll look online to see if I can find a new slide for it so that I can shoot it again.

The second is a B-P S&W "Lemon-Squeezer" revolver in .38 S&W.  It was made sometime in the late 1800's.  My grandfather that gave it to me cautioned me not to ever shoot it but didn't explain why.  Other than the worst trigger-pull imaginable, I couldn't figure out either until long after his death I took a closer look at it.  Someone in the past apparently didn't follow his advice and fired some modern .38 rounds through it.  Just past the thick part of the barrel, it has a nice bulge all of the way around it.  Of course, the inside of the barrel at that point is FUBAR'ed.  It's hard to tell unless you know what you are looking for because the bulge is so evenly formed.

So, there you have it.  I've shot everything up to a .303 Enfield and a M91 Mosin Nagant, and the two firearms I'm afraid to shoot are a .22 pistol and a .38 revolver.

James
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
.458 Lott

I've not shot more than four rounds at a time through it and why would I want to at $5.00 + a pop (and I reload too!)?? Not unless an elephant has finally escaped from the zoo or circus!!

Let me tell you, you can FEEL those 6,000+ ft-lbs of muzzle energy every time you pull the trigger!!

On the left below. Also shoots the .458 Win Mag on the right...

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#44]
The first shot from my newly suppressed M1A was a tough one to take.  Everything looked concentric, but it was the fear of "There goes $1,000 in the can and stamp" gave me serious pause before pulling the trigger.

In the end, however, and aside from a face-full of gas it shot just fine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

ever since people became obsessed with "tactical", they have been buying a lot of really weird and unpleasant guns

if you buy a lightweight 44 mag with a 3" barrel, that gun will be basically a real bad ass piece of useless shit that you will hate shooting

if you buy the full size version with a 6" barrel, you will enjoy shooting it

but everyone wants to buy the piece of shit version now because they're elite

personally, I hate shooting a gun with a lot of painful recoil, and muzzle blast and flash.  if I cannot shoot a gun well, it's boring to me
View Quote
So like hipsters and drinking poorly balanced, barely drinkable, hopped to death beer that they try to pass as "IPAs"

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I just got my stamp for my .308 SBR.   12.5" bbl.  I put the stock on it last night and it feels bad as a mother fucker.

However, I can't help but think I'm going to set the range on fire and blow out windows a mile away when I take it to the range to shoot it for the first time.

Tell me everything is going to be ok.  I've never had a gun I was this concerned about shooting before.  Even a .44 magnum handgun.

View Quote

You sir should sprinkle some Summers Eve on it, take a midol, fill your purse up with those tiny stumpy little .308's and go to the range. If you know any real men take them along so they can hold your hair back if you puke or something.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#47]
tyes my 1863 trapdoor conversion in 50-70 I always expected it to blowup.my 577 snyder felt harry sometimes too,
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#48]
S&W Airweight with full house loads.   It's pretty punishing.   I'd rather shoot the 44.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 13" Rem 870 SBS slug gun.  I keep it sighted in with Brenneke Magnum Crush rounds as it's my bear drive gun.... Drives are how we hunt bear in PA.  I will admit to a moment of hesitation before taking a shot with it off a bench rest.  I try to limit bench shooting to 5 or less rounds to avoid developing a flinch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny thing, I actually did smash my hand last night while hammering something in the garage. It hurt just as much as shooting a small revolver with magnum loads, without the satisfying "boom."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 4
Top Top