BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got my stamp for my .308 SBR.   12.5" bbl.  I put the stock on it last night and it feels bad as a mother fucker.

However, I can't help but think I'm going to set the range on fire and blow out windows a mile away when I take it to the range to shoot it for the first time.

Tell me everything is going to be ok.  I've never had a gun I was this concerned about shooting before.  Even a .44 magnum handgun.

View Quote

all that really matters is how badass you look wearing it in front of your moms full length mirror.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
This 7-ga English fowler (market gun) gave me pause. Of course I had to give it a go at least once.

The recommended 2 oz of #6 shot over 200 grains of FF (considered a moderate load back then) was about like shooting a 12ga 3.5" magnum.

Yeah, I cheated and used a PAST shield.

A little scale.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well every time I shoot this I have to think about it. I already have one barrel that is a smooth bore and replacing it was over $5K. The only other part broken so far is an extractor and I have several extras but Stoner parts don't grow on trees and they get more expensive by the second. I have had people actually turn down shooting it since the gun is so expensive. The extractor broke on a guy and he was apologizing for the next hour. He offered to pay for a new one and when I told him how much they were he turned green. A few seconds later I told him it wasn't his fault and not to worry about it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't read the entire thread but pussies the lot of you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
For a .308 SBR buy the right ammo and you'll be fine.
MK319 Mod 0 was designed for use with SBR .308 riles. It should help with some of the annoying muzzle blast and flash.
Long-term do your hearing a favor and buy a suppressor for it.
Not afraid to shot them, but I never shoot my rifle caliber SBRs unsuppressed.

Palmetto MK319
US Armament MK319

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
50 beowulf with carbine stock and no brake. Shot it maybe 10 times and sold it. Shit was brutal.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Had an old Stevens 12 gauge single shot I chopped once. Within 1/4" of legal minimum both by barrel length and OAL. Cut the barrel first and brought the stock as short as allowed after. It had the thumb lever across the top to open the action, and recoil would run that right into the web of my hand every time. I shot it with gloves for a while and sold it for $20(I had originally bought it for $10). I think that guy eventually took it apart and threw it in a lake.

More recently, when I got my .45-70 Contender barrel I bought a box of ammo, loaded it and held it out. Had just enough time before getting the trigger pulled to think "Do I REALLY want to do this?".

It definitely lets you know something happened but it's not as bad as people make them out to be.The deer I shot with it in December would disagree.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything above .416 Rigby.

Sighting in a .458 Lott from a bench is just wonderful.
View Quote

Always wanted to shoot a Rigby. Never been near one outside of a new Ruger at Cabelas once.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have shot just about all of the big bores including the .585 Nyati, so I guess not.
View Quote

I can put you in touch with the owner of the .600NE Encore pistol if you'd like. He offered me a chance to shoot it. First time in my life I turned down a chance to shoot a gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had a J-22 years ago that ran flawlessly for several thousand rounds.
Took it apart one day for cleaning and it had a chunk missing from inside the slide.

Threw it away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jennings J-22  (yeah, I know...)

I've had the thing for years knowing it's a peice-o-shit, but would shoot it from time to time just because. Last time I shot it, it started double-tapping about once per mag. Haven't shot it since, and don't feel right about selling it.

I had a J-22 years ago that ran flawlessly for several thousand rounds.
Took it apart one day for cleaning and it had a chunk missing from inside the slide.

Threw it away.

I melted mine with a Bernz-O-MatiC. I think I still have the block of zinc someplace.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't stand shooting my friend's USPSA Open pistol.  It was an Infinity .38 Super that had compensator holes in the barrel and slide.  That thing was just obnoxiously loud.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#12]
SMLE Mk. III*.  Built in 1917.  Solid as a pound, but metal fatigue is still metal fatigue
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well every time I shoot this I have to think about it. I already have one barrel that is a smooth bore and replacing it was over $5K. The only other part broken so far is an extractor and I have several extras but Stoner parts don't grow on trees and they get more expensive by the second. I have had people actually turn down shooting it since the gun is so expensive. The extractor broke on a guy and he was apologizing for the next hour. He offered to pay for a new one and when I told him how much they were he turned green. A few seconds later I told him it wasn't his fault and not to worry about it.

http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/pictures/Stoner416-1.jpg
View Quote

Fuck this shit,

I'll be in my bunk for a week....
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I would never. Ever. Never. Ever shoot the .950 jd

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't know they even made those in 300 Win Mag...I thought mine in 7mm Rem Mag was probably overpowered for a 770.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remington 770 in 300 win mag, that lightweight son of a bitch beats the hell out of me.
After 6 shots i am flinching badly and can't hit shit.

I didn't know they even made those in 300 Win Mag...I thought mine in 7mm Rem Mag was probably overpowered for a 770.

I had one in 30.06 that I shot prone on rough concrete. Pretty sure it took some skin off my elbows.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is just a .308, a semi-auto one at that. You have nothing to fear. Seriously.

Now my most painful experience shooting would probably be when I sighted in my Browning X-Bolt in .375 H&H magnum. The guys who mounted/boresighted the scope didn't tighten the rings all the way and I didn't bother checking. So after about 30 frustrating rounds of a zero that wouldn't quite hold I figured out the problem, tightened everything down and had to restart the zeroing process. About 60 rounds of .375 later in a t-shirt I was pretty well brutalized.
View Quote

How the fuck could you afford 60 rounds of 375HH ammo? lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#17]

223/7.62x39/308/284Win/30-40Krag/30-06/375Ruger/458WinMag/400-450NitroExpress/50BMG

I have all of these plus 416 Rigby and ain't afraid of any of them.

We'll maybe a little nervous/squemish .....................
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]
454 with 360 gr loads, still don't like shooting it, wish i did, but fuck it hurts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Shot a 416 Rigby once. it was not my rifle, and I was very apprehensive prior to shooting it.

two rounds was enough.

I shot it ok, but it is not a range toy.
View Quote
My friend had one - I forget what rifle but it was so heavy that it was not bad to shoot.

I hated my 700RUM. Never had a use for it and ended up selling it here on the EE.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I once owned a ruger SR22 that I had to sell because of bruising.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#21]
my buddies .416 Rigby.

He loads that shit hot so he can watch his friends shoot it.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

all that really matters is how badass you look wearing it in front of your moms full length mirror.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got my stamp for my .308 SBR.   12.5" bbl.  I put the stock on it last night and it feels bad as a mother fucker.

However, I can't help but think I'm going to set the range on fire and blow out windows a mile away when I take it to the range to shoot it for the first time.

Tell me everything is going to be ok.  I've never had a gun I was this concerned about shooting before.  Even a .44 magnum handgun.

Check  

I put my AAC 762 SDN-6 on it last night and did a couple poses.  I stayed full engorged the rest of the night.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a couple guns where because of there age I am better off not shooting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You sir should sprinkle some Summers Eve on it, take a midol, fill your purse up with those tiny stumpy little .308's and go to the range. If you know any real men take them along so they can hold your hair back if you puke or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sir should sprinkle some Summers Eve on it, take a midol, fill your purse up with those tiny stumpy little .308's and go to the range. If you know any real men take them along so they can hold your hair back if you puke or something.

lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I thought about replying to that but I don't think he fully understands the beast that is being unleashed with the short barrel.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#27]
88 Commission rifle
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
305 grain +Ps out of a medium frame, 4" .44 mag get my attention every time.  Its still kinda fun to do though.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Haven't really stumbled across a gun if afraid yet.... closest one atm is a 7mm rem ultra mag. You need to keep that gun tight to your shoulder!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I shot my 12.5" bbl .308 SBR.  It's pretty loud unsuppressed but still not that bad.  Suppressed I was actually surprised.  It was pretty quiet.  I do have an adjustable gas block on it which is a big reason it runs.  I had to shoot with the stock extended to keep the charging handle from hitting my nose.  

It thumps the shit out of some steel.  Maybe one day I'll post a pic of it
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top