Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F22 is not the next generation fighter,  it's more like the next 2or3 generations fighter.  That is why it is so damned expensive, and why there is really no fair comparison between it and any current or currently planned jet.

Nope… It's last years model.

The F-35's systems are a whole generation better.

The F-22 was designed from the outset to be easily upgraded as newer processing technology becomes available.  The mission computers are interchangeable and need only a swap of cards to get newer processor tech.  The larger AESA antenna can't be added to the F-35 no matter how much processing tech improves.  The improved conformal antenna array in the F-35 is the only real improvement.  Half the thrust with 2/3 of the weight will always make the Junk Strike Fighter second best, if that.

EOTS/EOSS is a quantum leap in situational awareness…

Take a good look at the sighting system on the F-35. It has nothing to do with air to air detection of adversaries.  It's simply a built in "sniper pod".  Since the F-35 is optimized for ground attack it includes a sensor to support that mission.  I know you're dead convinced that IRST is the way of the future, but it's not, and the F-35 doesn't have or need it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not in the Air Force or Navy.  Tell me about these different aircraft.  How are they different?  What roles do they fulfill?

This comes up often around here and wikipedia has a lot more of the cold hard facts.

The F-22 is THE BEST air-to-air fighter yet created, its so advanced and thus expensive that we only have 148 of them.

The Superhornet is the workhorse of the Navy and a one plane does most platform.

Nope, already the F-35's unit cost is about the same and will only rise.

Anyone who compares cost without specifying when the aircraft is being purchased, which version of the aircraft is being talked about and what FY $$s you're specifying, has a political axe to grind.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F22 is not the next generation fighter,  it's more like the next 2or3 generations fighter.  That is why it is so damned expensive, and why there is really no fair comparison between it and any current or currently planned jet.

The F-22 was designed from the outset to be easily upgraded as newer processing technology becomes available.  The mission computers are interchangeable and need only a swap of cards to get newer processor tech.  The larger AESA antenna can't be added to the F-35 no matter how much processing tech improves.  The improved conformal antenna array in the F-35 is the only real improvement.  Half the thrust with 2/3 of the weight will always make the Junk Strike Fighter second best, if that.

Take a good look at the sighting system on the F-35. It has nothing to do with air to air detection of adversaries.  It's simply a built in "sniper pod".  Since the F-35 is optimized for ground attack it includes a sensor to support that mission.  I know you're dead convinced that IRST is the way of the future, but it's not, and the F-35 doesn't have or need it.

EOTS is an IRST.

And as for IRST being the wave of the future. It isn't, but it is a capability that should be exploited. The USN is already doing that with modified fuel tanks. And IIRC the F-22 was designed to accept an IRST, but was not fitted with.

ETA:
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/1232.pdf

ment
•Tactical and eye-safe, highly reliable,
In the IRST mode, the EOTS will
locate and track multiple airborne threats at
extended ranges ensuring high lethality and
survivability.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just what makes you think that "built in sniper pod" can't be pointed at the horizon?  
WTH?!? beat by a black-shoe... though, my retort is more clever.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not in the Air Force or Navy.  Tell me about these different aircraft.  How are they different?  What roles do they fulfill?

This comes up often around here and wikipedia has a lot more of the cold hard facts.

The F-22 is THE BEST air-to-air fighter yet created, its so advanced and thus expensive that we only have 148 of them.

The Superhornet is the workhorse of the Navy and a one plane does most platform.

Anyone who compares cost without specifying when the aircraft is being purchased, which version of the aircraft is being talked about and what FY $$s you're specifying, has a political axe to grind.

Do you seriously think the pipe dream of a 4,000 plane JSF fleet will come to pass?  Give it ten years of "death by a thousand cuts" and it'll be even more overpriced and underproduced than the F-22 will end up being.  I'd count on total failure of the B model and a production run of the A and C models about half of what was originally spec'd.  After all, why do we need a $200M stealth fighter to defeat taliban in caves, when a Reaper can do the same job as a B-2.  Just ask the Secdef.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just what makes you think that "built in sniper pod" can't be pointed at the horizon?  

Look at the aperture and the location on the airframe, it's a lot more similar to the lower IR sensor on the F-117 than it is to a traditional IRST.  When the bottom of the fuselage blocks everything above the aircraft from view, a look down only IRST is pretty stupid and useless.

It's a look down sensor, hardly all aspect.  Would you want a radar that couldn't elevate beyond 0* when you're down in the weeds?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope…

http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/categories/military/1145.html

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you seriously think the pipe dream of a 4,000 plane JSF fleet will come to pass?  Give it ten years of "death by a thousand cuts" and it'll be even more overpriced and underproduced than the F-22 will end up being.  I'd count on total failure of the B model and a production run of the A and C models about half of what was originally spec'd.  After all, why do we need a $200M stealth fighter to defeat taliban in caves, when a Reaper can do the same job as a B-2.  Just ask the Secdef.

When did I ever say anything about 4,000 aircraft? I didn't.

Right now the aircraft being produced are LRIP. They are more expensive than aircraft that will be built one, two, four years from now. Just as the initial F-22s had a higher flyaway cost than current models.

And just like F-22, the price changes depending on the political statement at the time. If you take into account development costs, the F-22 is much more expensive than the current~$140 million flyaway cost.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the aperture and the location on the airframe, it's a lot more similar to the lower IR sensor on the F-117 than it is to a traditional IRST.  When the bottom of the fuselage blocks everything above the aircraft from view, a look down only IRST is pretty stupid and useless.

Wrong.

You're going to have a blind spot unless you mount the IRST in the nose. Past US IRSTs have been mounted below the nose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VERY Wrong.

Fixt…
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top