BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wasn't gonna read 29 pages looking to see if my number had already been used.

I realize you said there'd be a tie-breaker for duplicate numbers, but I have zero problem giving the prize to the first poster if my number happens to be a duplicate.

Mark,

I was gonna post about this earlier. There is no doubt that there are going to be a bunch of duplicate numbers. Just my humble opinion, but I think that the tiebreaker should go to the first poster of the winning number(based obviously on time and date of their UNEDITED post) not a second random tiebreaker drawing. You would be penilizing the original poster. Just MHO, and thank you for doing this giveaway

That would a) force everyone to search the entire thread before submitting their number, and b) would cap the competition at 1,000 participants. Neither is an enviable prospect.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder what number I picked.

Too many pages, to long ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize you said there'd be a tie-breaker for duplicate numbers, but I have zero problem giving the prize to the first poster if my number happens to be a duplicate.

Mark,

I was gonna post about this earlier. There is no doubt that there are going to be a bunch of duplicate numbers. Just my humble opinion, but I think that the tiebreaker should go to the first poster of the winning number(based obviously on time and date of their UNEDITED post) not a second random tiebreaker drawing. You would be penilizing the original poster. Just MHO, and thank you for doing this giveaway

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Got mine picked (a bit late, but better than never).  Hopefully nobody else picked it before I did.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That would a) force everyone to search the entire thread before submitting their number, and b) would cap the competition at 1,000 participants. Neither is an enviable prospect.

I can see your point, and am just happy that Mr. LaRue is so generous.  It's his contest and his rules.

On the flip side:
mnd has a script running that keeps track of picked and available numbers.  Nobody needs to search all the pages - they can just look at the contest report and see what's available.

"Early bird gets the worm" - so the competition gets capped at 1,000 participants.  Raffles often have a finite number of tickets, too.  If someone missed out on one contest by being too late, they can hit the next one.  I got on at 6:30 this morning to put my number in, and lots of other folks worked hard to get in early.  I have no problem with limiting entries to 1000.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I predict you'll need at least 3 or 4 thread to handle it.

I'm already in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark,

+1

Well at first I agreed. But I just went through all 31 pages and I checked for my number and I posted it. Went through AGAIN and I somehow missed it. And he said no editing numbers....so...?
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to thank Mark for the support of this site first of all.

Secondly I would like to give my opinion on the raffel aspect. How about just using post number to pick the winning number. We wouldn't have a chance to pick our own number but our post number would be our entry number.

That way when the 1000th site member wanted to pick a number he/she would not have to search 999 posts to find the one number not picked. And also it would stop the duplicate entries.

You would still have the problem of people with multible screen names but that can't be fixed as far as I know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others said, it's just the first of many such drawings.  It takes time to fine-tune the details.  Who knows? Maybe future drawings will be back to first-come first-served and incorporate mnd's script in the thread to simplify number picking.

It would be difficult but not completely impossible to go back to first number wins, while still giving early posters a chance to get in on the contest.  I suppose one complicated way to deal with this would be something like this:

1- Lock thread temporarily.
2- Keep the pre-existing legitimate first-posted numbers.  This would involve discarding those that didn't read the rules and posted comments/smilies/edits.  If I understand correctly, those posts don't count, but duped numbers were allowed.
3- Using the reporting script as a database, allow the duped folks a "scramble" to pick a free number.
4- Reopen thread, lock at 1,000 entries.

If after locking the thread, it was found that total number of entries already exceeded 1,000, maybe the number pool could be increased to accomodate those posters who in good faith had picked a duped number.  Alternatively, the dupes could only pick a number that was previously duped, thus being penalized again in the drawing but still minimizing the number of people choosing 223/556/762/308/etc. to be funny.  Or maybe the dupes could be allowed to pick something new, but exclude any duped posters after post 1,000 occured.

...or something.  Too much Diet Mt. Dew to drink, so it made my brain gears start turning.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
After all, if a random number genorator is picking the number, it doesn't matter if you picked 1 or 556. Both numbers have the same chance of winning. Lucky numbers are a fraud anyway. Post number would work. And if someone has 6 accounts with all of them being site members then more power to them. (more money to the site)
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
After all, if a random number genorator is picking the number, it doesn't matter if you picked 1 or 556. Both numbers have the same chance of winning. Lucky numbers are a fraud anyway. Post number would work. And if someone has 6 accounts with all of them being site members then more power to them. (more money to the site)

Exactly.  Lucky numbers mean nothing, but I guess it would be fun to win something on a number that has personal meaning.  I didn't pick my number from any significance other than picking something randomly, then diligently searching via that CTRL+F function to make sure it was clean.

ETA: Hopefully I've made it clear by my posts as well, that this is indeed extremely generous of Mr. LaRue - it's his contest and his rules.  I'm grateful for his support of the shooting community.  He sets a great example for business partners of this site.  It's a great way to build goodwill, generate enthusiasm for Team memberships, and an outstanding way to build a loyal base of current and future customers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
did anyone else pick their number then feverishly check through the whole thread to see if it had been taken yet?  

640 ftw!!!

Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Less than 470 464 free numbers left!  Get yours quick!
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
did anyone else pick their number then feverishly check through the whole thread to see if it had been taken yet?  

640 ftw!!!

Kinda like switching the order of tasks when confronted by an attacker.
1 -Draw gun
2 -BANG!
3 - Yell "Don't move!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I would suggest that, in the future drawings,  a graphical "pick a numbered square" system should be used.      It could be hosted here at arfcom (why not, it can't be any tougher than the weapon builder, can it?)  or elsewhere.   You pick a numbered square, your handle gets on it, and nobody else can claim it.   Everyone can SEE what numbers are still available.

Just like those 10x10 football pool matrixes.   Only maybe in a 50x50 matrix, giving 2500 numbers to choose from.

If you need more numbers than that,  program it so that whenever the matrix is filled up,
it automatically adds more rows.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would suggest that, in the future drawings,  a graphical "pick a numbered square" system should be used.      It could be hosted here at arfcom (why not, it can't be any tougher than the weapon builder, can it?)  or elsewhere.   You pick a numbered square, your handle gets on it, and nobody else can claim it.   Everyone can SEE what numbers are still available.

Just like those 10x10 football pool matrixes.   Only maybe in a 50x50 matrix, giving 2500 numbers to choose from.

If you need more numbers than that,  program it so that whenever the matrix is filled up,

CJ

I like this idea. I feel like crap for accidentaly picking a taken number. I even checked all the pages
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Mark,

Even though I'm deployed, I can still win right?  You can mail it to my address at Fort Bragg.  Am I still qualified to enter?

Oh hell yeah you're in.  We'll hold it until you come of deployment.

Might have a rather large function-fired round count by then.

ML

I'm in!  Might have a nice present waiting for me when I get home from Korea......
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, I can't do anything about the contest, but it sounded like a cool visualization, so I coded it.

Here you go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I can't do anything about the contest, but it sounded like a cool visualization, so I coded it.

Here you go.

Damn, that kicks mucho ass. Awesome job
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here you go.

nice job!
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Mark,

Even though I'm deployed, I can still win right?  You can mail it to my address at Fort Bragg.  Am I still qualified to enter?

Oh hell yeah you're in.  We'll hold it until you come of deployment.

Might have a rather large function-fired round count by then.

ML

Sweet, when I do come back I will be retiring in the free state of Texas.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Worked 12 hrs last nite and got to do it again tonite but not sleeping til the winning number is posted

Pg 4 ownage but had to edit
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#27]
It's the 7th... can't wait to see who got it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that the winner?

Couldn't be...  Post date was 2/1

_MaH
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Good luck everyone!

Mark: If by some miracle I win... I will be away from now until late monday, so don't go giving it to someone else because I was slow to respond
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#31]
My number's gettin' hot

NOT
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#32]
missed it by 43 seconds....
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#33]
dont know if this is the one but found it with a google search.

Number generator
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hey, I locked the game thread a few minutes ago and requested that the "Random Number Generator" be reposted in here so's I can hit the green button on it.

ML

Not sure if this is the one you saw earlier ... but I just googled the phrase and saw THIS

I field tested it and it seemed to work fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Come on 688.

Even though someone else stole my number.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#38]
NO   ONE  OPen Number can i call dibs lol
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
NO   ONE
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Dang i was 911. Oh well, Congrats to the winner

Mike
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#41]
No one picke 756.  Can we get another random number?
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dont know if this is the one but found it with a google search.

Number generator

I Googled one up to ...Random Number Generator

and the number it spewed out was ....

There you have it.  Now tell me who that guy or guys are.

ML

No-one wins, draw another number:

www.jurai.net/~winter/larue-feb-report.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I think the ruls stated that the closest one to that number gets it. But I wouldn't be opposed to a new pick.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Congrats to the winner
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#46]

I missed out.  I just saw the thread.    

I would have posted 504.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#47]
It is 4 people one below and 3 above that number
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the ruls stated that the closest one to that number gets it. But I wouldn't be opposed to a new pick.

I don't see that in the rules, but it's Mark's game so the next step is up to him
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#49]
It looks like the closest selections are :

755: az_larry
756:
757: DrMark, CMOS, AiServo

Runoff?
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#50]

It looks like the closest selections are :

755: az_larry
756:
757: DrMark, CMOS, AiServo

Runoff?

Or you can give it to me since i was close and am asking nicely
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top