BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll take it if nobody wants to claim it!
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

915: DernHumpus, sleepercaprice1

Runoff again, it seems.

So, again, we're deciding how to do this for all of eternity ... what about immediately giving them a number in order that they posted ... say dernhumpus posted first (1) and sleepercaprice1 posted second (2) ... we tell the number generator to pick a number between 1 and 2 ?

ML

ETA - I'm gonna need a nicley worded set of rules for next time as from next month on, no one gets quarter if they screw up.

sounds fair........whomever is closer, wins.........

hit the button!!!!1

Closer ??  Well, did I say that right?  The number generator will either say #1 or #2, that is if I tell it to pick a random number beginning with the number 1 and ending with the number 2.

Right?

ML  

oh I got ya.......I thought it could do decimals and whomever was closer would get it...

But yer way sounds fine......just tell it to pick a number between 1 and 2......

now hit the dang button !!!!  

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Runoff again, it seems.

So, again, we're deciding how to do this for all of eternity ... what about immediately giving them a number in order that they posted ... say dernhumpus posted first (1) and sleepercaprice1 posted second (2) ... we tell the number generator to pick a number between 1 and 2 ?

ML

ETA - I'm gonna need a nicley worded set of rules for next time as from next month on, no one gets quarter if they screw up.

hit the button!!!!1

Closer ??  Well, did I say that right?  The number generator will either say #1 or #2, that is if I tell it to pick a random number beginning with the number 1 and ending with the number 2.

Right?

ML  

Yep...you said it right.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are some proposed contest rules to simplify things. Use them if you like them.

Contest rules:

1: Only Team Members are eligible.
2: Select a number from 1 to 1,000, and post only that number.
3: Only one post per person.
4: Posting more than once = disqualification.
5: Posting anything more than a number = disqualification
6: Posting the number in a non-standard font = disqualification.
7: Editing your post = disqualification.

In the event more than one person selects the same number, the random number generator will select a number from a pool equalling the number of duplicate posts.

For example: If 3 members select the same number, the generator will be asked to select a number from 1 to 3. If the number is 2, th second person to post wins. If the number is 1, the first person to post wins.

In the event the generator selects a number that was not picked by a member, the generator will select another number, until it lands on a number that was picked by one or more members.

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I say if neither of them has chimed in by now...they just don't care enough...

[evil republican]screw fairness give it to me
[/evil republican]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Runoff again, it seems.

ML

hit the button!!!!1

Right?

ML  

Yep...you said it right.

Okay, I hit the button again and the Number is ...

So the winner is the first guy (not the second) that posted 915.

Now tell me who that is and we'll wrap this month up.

ML

Then the winner is DernHumpus according to mnd's contest report.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#9]
well it ain't me so I don't care.........

but since i'm a member of the rule committee I'll take a dillo........

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats DernHumpus!
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps. most importantly is user mnd's script they use to mine the data from the contest thread.

February Contest Data

That guy went to a lot of trouble to make it easy for everyone to keep track.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats to the winner and thanks Mark for the contest.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Perhaps. most importantly is user mnd's script they use to mine the data from the contest thread.

February Contest Data

send him a dillo and a hat!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

February Contest Data

Which seems to make it easy to pick a different number, so if you got in first with a number and somebody comes back a week later and picks your number to bad for him, because it's yours. Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

February Contest Data

Which seems to make it easy to pick a different number, so if you got in first with a number and somebody comes back a week later and picks your number to bad for him, because it's yours. Just my $.02.

Certainly, but in all fairness, the report script was written independantly of LaRue's contest. Not everyone who entered was even aware it existed.

If mnd wants to do a repeat for the next contests, then the rules could be changed to include it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Everyone has an equal chance...
no one knows what # will be picked...

could be a number with 1 person, or 5...

if it's 5 they all have an equal chance with the random number choosing...

We have a good system...

lets not have this turn into a shitstorm of a debate over how flawed it is...it's not

Lets not screw up a completely bitchin thing that the great LaRue is doing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Certainly, but in all fairness, the report script was written independantly of LaRue's contest. Not everyone who entered was even aware it existed.

If mnd wants to do a repeat for the next contests, then the rules could be changed to include it.

If everyone picked a different number it would eliminate the issue of having to do the random generator twice in the event of multiple folks picking the same number.  The problem with that, however, is that for Feb's contest there were 1104 valid entries, and I'm sure there will be more next month.  That being the case, we would need to either up the total number of numbers one can choose from to 2000 (maybe?), or just allow for multiple users to pick the same number and go with what we did this month.

Of course, it could be capped so that the first 1000 could get in, but then that's all.  However, that would certainly dissuade someone from joining as a team member if they can't get into the contest and that's what they were hoping to do.

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Congrats to the winner!

Thanks Mark LaRue!

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If everyone picked a different number it would eliminate the issue of having to do the random generator twice in the event of multiple folks picking the same number.  The problem with that, however, is that for Feb's contest there were 1104 valid entries, and I'm sure there will be more next month.  That being the case, we would need to either up the total number of numbers one can choose from to 2000 (maybe?), or just allow for multiple users to pick the same number and go with what we did this month.

Of course, it could be capped so that the first 1000 could get in, but then that's all.  However, that would certainly dissuade someone from joining as a team member if they can't get into the contest and that's what they were hoping to do.

Certainly, there is truth in this.

But look at it this way, we have a winner! Everyone enjoyed the excitement. It was fun for everyone involved. The system worked fine this time.

I can't wait 'till March now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats to the winner. That was the closest I have came to winning anything. I picked 907, my old mx number.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

But look at it this way, we have a winner! Everyone enjoyed the excitement. It was fun for everyone involved. The system worked fine this time.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all.  I think it worked great how it went.  I was just tossing out ideas for the next go-around.

Thanks again, Mark!  You guys are top-notch folks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dont know if this is the one but found it with a google search.

Number generator

I Googled one up to ...Random Number Generator

and the number it spewed out was ....

There you have it.  Now tell me who that guy or guys are.

ML

I had 757  

So close, and yet so far...

<--- kidding

Seriously, good show Mark Larue & LaRue Tactical!!!

&
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a good system...

lets not have this turn into a shitstorm of a debate over how flawed it is...it's not

Lets not screw up a completely bitching thing that the great LaRue is doing.

Am I missing something ?? Do we have a good method or not??

ML

...the kids these days are using "bitching" as an adjective meaning "good."

It's all good.

Bitchin' dude, like totally.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a good system...

ML

I think we do.

you post your number that you want.

at the end of the alotted time a number is generated.  If no one has that number another one is generated.  If multiple people have the number that is generated they are assigned a number 1 through however many people have picked that number and the random number generator then picks a number bewteen 1 and the number of people that picked the selected number.

That person wins.

everyone has the same chance.  Who cares who picked the number first.

again... THANKS Mark, you so rock, I am saving up $$ to buy the next upper for my lower from your fine company.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I didn't win, but there's always next month!

Thanks again Mark for doing this!

eta: And the rules are just fine.  Given the number of people you have getting into this, I think you're doing it the best way you can.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a good system...

ML

...the kids these days are using "bitching" as an adjective meaning "good."

It's all good.

Bitchin' dude, like totally.  

Yeah...bitchin...I meant that...thanks for making me feel old, I was trying to be hip damn it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a good system...

ML

NO....we have a GREAT method!!

Congrats to the winner and to you Mark
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Congrats to the winner!!!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

February Contest Data

First come first serve.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow- congrats!

Thanks for doing this, Mark.

Let me know when you need my shipping address for March's prize.

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
10 more chances to go...

Congrats to the winner!

Damn .... I'm always the last to know!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
10 more chances to go...

Congrats to the winner!

Damn .... I'm always the last to know!!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I'm not complaining at all.  I think it worked great how it went.  I was just tossing out ideas for the next go-around.

Thanks again, Mark!  You guys are top-notch folks.

Same here.  Someone metioned earlier about folks tagging the thread and their number would be the number in which they posted.  A report could be used to put everyones name by the number for easy viewing.  Then, if say there are 1200 posts the number generator would be 1-1200.  Just another idea.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Same here.  Someone metioned earlier about folks tagging the thread and their number would be the number in which they posted.  A report could be used to put everyones name by the number for easy viewing.  Then, if say there are 1200 posts the number generator would be 1-1200.  Just another idea.

We had a lot of invalid posts, though, so that probably wouldn't work the best.  It would IF folks didn't post multiple times or non-team members didn't post in it, but without eliminating those two things (at least), it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Congrats to teh winner
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I suggest an addition to the contest rules:

From the moment the winning number is posted,  allow no more than 24 hours for the winner to contact Mark and claim his prize.

Or two days...or three.  Just pick a defined prize claiming period and stick with it.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Oh well, how long til March?

Link Posted: 2/7/2008 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats to the winner!

Thanks for doing this Mark.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a lot of invalid posts, though, so that probably wouldn't work the best.  It would IF folks didn't post multiple times or non-team members didn't post in it, but without eliminating those two things (at least), it wouldn't work.

Duly noted.  I see what you are saying....there will always be those out there who cant follow the rules.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here are some proposed contest rules to simplify things. Use them if you like them.

Contest rules:

1: Only Team Members are eligible.
2: Select a number from 1 to 1,000, and post only that number.
3: Only one post per person.
4: Posting more than once = disqualification.
5: Posting anything more than a number = disqualification
6: Posting the number in a non-standard font = disqualification.
7: Editing your post = disqualification.

In the event more than one person selects the same number, the random number generator will select a number from a pool equalling the number of duplicate posts.

For example: If 3 members select the same number, the generator will be asked to select a number from 1 to 3. If the number is 2, th second person to post wins. If the number is 1, the first person to post wins.

In the event the generator selects a number that was not picked by a member, the generator will select another number, until it lands on a number that was picked by one or more members.

Thanks,

We'll want to add "This Random Number Generator" to the list and also add/delete anything else you guys think pertinent.

ML

Hmmmm, I went to that site and it generated 914 when I did it.  But subsequent attempts were met with alot of different numbers.

I think the new rules sounds good.  And I know you let it slide this time, but you should stick to the rules for future contests.  IMHO.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top