Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My first car was it's cousin, a 1970 Torino GT.
View Quote
Do you happen to have a Garand and Hmong neighbors?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

He was talking about the smaller late 1980's Comanche with the 4.0 HO engine. If you got the Eliminator model with the right option boxes ticked, it was nearly a match for the Buick Grand National in stock form, the fastest factory quarter mile car you could buy from a volume producer at the time. Comanche Eliminators are hard to find now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]

I went to high school with a guy that had one exactly like that, same color, he then had a third Gen Nissan Maxima SE. He loves that car. His license plate was 4NAFAIR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I went to high school with a guy that had one exactly like that, same color, he then had a third Gen Nissan Maxima SE. He loves that car. His license plate was 4NAFAIR.
View Quote
@akguy1985

Mine was a silver XT6. It felt like you were in the cockpit of an X-Wing fighter even though mine didn't have the digi-dash. Shit air suspension that was always breaking until I had it replaced with standard shocks.

It would go anywhere, handled the winters with ease and was fun as hell.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

1971 Duster 340 Same color as above but with black stripes and black interior.  Put a Carter thermaquad and hush thrush mufflers on it and had a great time with it. Ended up trading it in on a jeep scrambler.

Attachment Attached File

Vehicles I wish I had kept, but when my wife had the temerity to get pregnant the second time I had to sell the jeep to get a Chrysler K car so the kids could ride in the back

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Had one....
View Quote

My '76 Olds starfire (231ci 4-speed)is still somewhat my template for my perfect car today . Had 3 '95-'00 ford mustangs ...also 3.8 liter and manual transmissions. About time for me to pick up another beater to play with .
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its Merkur.  Another German built Ford.

Yes. Great car.  The US version of the Ford Sierra that was being raced in Rally and Touring Cars at the time in Europe .

We never got the sweet Cosworth engine.   But the 2.3 was pretty bullet proof and could put down big HP with mods.
View Quote

Typo, I didn't catch it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1968-72 Pontiac Grand Prix J/SJ - It was overshadowed by the more dramatic Buick Riviera boat tail on the same chassis,
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that is not true...

DeLorean and other Pontiac planners saw a way to reverse the declining sales of the full-sized Grand Prix by creating a new niche in the burgeoning personal luxury car market. Smaller than the Cadillac Eldorado and Oldsmobile Toronado, but positioned with the Ford Thunderbird and Buick Riviera, the new Grand Prix also competed with the Mercury Cougar XR-7 Pony car and the B-bodied Dodge Charger intermediate.
View Quote
The Cadillac Eldorado, Buick Rivera and Oldsmobile Toronado all shared the same FWD platform. There was never a Pontiac or Chevy version that I am aware of?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Guy in high school had VW thing 35 years ago. May have been the last one I saw.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I walked by the marina yesterday and there was a flawless Porsche 912 sitting in front of the restaurant. I'd never even heard of a 912, much less seen one in the flesh.

I had to go home and look it up. Low entry level 911, 1.6L four with very modest performance...but a good reputation and now a cult following. Prices are starting to reflect, if BAT is any indicator. Owner had PCA and a 912 owners club badge on it.

Not the same car, but identical color and wheels.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
My sister had an Opel GT as her first car in high school

I have owned several on the list:

1987 Suzuki Samurai
1986 Merkur XR4Ti
1990 VW Corrado G60
1992 Mercury Capri XR2
1984 Porsche 944

I remember looking at the Autotrader every week and seeing cheap air cooled 911s, 914s, Maseratis etc but the one that still persists for my covet list is from the 1970s

I still really want a VW thing and almost bought one on two separate occasions

Still kind of want an Omni GLH

Had a friend with a Starion, dated a girl with a Laser, had a friend with a Grand National and I’m sure many others. There were some cool cars in those days but they were really still trying to figure out the turbo thing then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Gremlin X
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Those were nice, especially the 4WS version. I was a poor kid so I had to make do with the CRX Si (not mine but mine was exactly the same)...

Not the fastest car around but still a lot of fun to drive. I was really into high end car audio back then and the CRX was the perfect platform for that IMO
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CRX's aren't exacty forgotten, they're just all gone. Cash-4-Clunkers and Fast and the  Furious claimed many victims.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fiat Panda.

I was just in Italy.

I always liked these cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Opel GT
Fiat Panda.

I was just in Italy.

Dude if we're doing euro markets skip right to the front

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Been a long time since I saw a FX-16 - GTS or not.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Damned shame there is ZERO parts support for the 80's Dodge Omni GLH's left.   5 years ago I was going to buy a very nice one, knowing how notoriously shitty they were, so I researched parts availability and it was non existent.  In a perfect world I'd replace the driveline with all Mitsubishi EVO parts but I'm done with projects like that.  It's a shame,  I'll never forget a kid with one blowing away a rich kid's brand new 5.0 GT in front of the whole school.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only one cool American car in that era.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/IMG_0429_jpeg-2934463.JPG

Some of those  Levi’s Renegades had performance cammed V-8s, six-point cages, lower gears and lots of cool factory performance bits.
View Quote

I still have my 1980 CJ5 Renegade I bought in 1982 for $5700. Mine had the 258 six and a 4-speed manual.
Now it has a small block Chevy 383 with a Ford 9" in the rear and a Dana 44 from a Scout in the front, both with Detroit lockers riding on 35's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Does a 1986/87/88 Nissan Maxima SE count? with a 5 speed these cars were the hotness with all of the auto magazines at the time.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Nobody remembers the Excalibur:

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that is not true...

The Cadillac Eldorado, Buick Rivera and Oldsmobile Toronado all shared the same FWD platform. There was never a Pontiac or Chevy version that I am aware of?
View Quote

The Riviera was not FWD until the 5th generation cars in the late 1970's, the boat tails were RWD. Theoretically, the Toro/Eldo/Riv shared a platform even when the former two were FWD and the Riv was RWD, but looking back that sounds more like GM Treasurer-speak to please Wall Street. The floor pans, which are one of the more expensive stampings, bear little resemblance (Riv has a driveshaft hump as you might guess), and neither did the bodies. They didn't share engines or transmissions, obviously, or even interior bits. I doubt even the frame was similar, but you are right, it was also not the same chassis as the GP.

The GP competed more against the Riv, and against the Thunderbird. That was what I meant by being overshadowed by the Riv. Collectors all know the Riviera, not many people are really out there collecting and restoring GP's, despite the GP vastly outselling the Riv.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Our family had one of those. I was fascinated as a child that snow would come out of the interior vents when it was snowing outside! My sister got the car as a hand me down and despised it, wrecking it twice. The first time seemed to be intentional, but the parents couldn't prove it and no real damage was done, it just had to be dragged out of a ditch.

The second time was right in front of our house. We lived on a four lane, and I heard it happen while playing outside. I ran in and told mom "Hey, someone had a wreck in a car that looks like ours!". I went back for another look and realized it was ours. Just as I was telling this to mom and she was starting to panic, my disheveled sister walked in the door along with the other driver. She had pulled out in front of a pickup towing a small boat that was probably doing 60 or better. He hit the rear quarter and spun the car several times. Now this was 1970, and wigs were very popular, so my sister had been wearing one. Somehow it ended up under the car along with a blanket and some other items. The state highway patrol arrived while all parties were a couple of hundred yards away behind trees in our yard out of sight, discussing the accident. In a panic after seeing the wig and blankets, they thought someone was trapped under the car and started trying to lift it off the unfortunate wig!
View Quote

Ours was destroyed in a head-on collision with a cunt who almost killed us 2 years later in the exact same spot drifting over the center line.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
1984 Plymouth Turismo 2.2, same platform as the Dodge GLHS Turbo but not turbo. Mine had a 4 bbl intake, small Holley carb, header.  Fun little car and my intro into small car performance. I had the same color scheme as the one in this stock pic:

Attachment Attached File

1975 Pontiac Ventura.  Mine was sunstorm yellow, OEM with a Buick 350 but I later stuffed a Buick 455 into it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He was talking about the smaller late 1980's Comanche with the 4.0 HO engine. If you got the Eliminator model with the right option boxes ticked, it was nearly a match for the Buick Grand National in stock form, the fastest factory quarter mile car you could buy from a volume producer at the time. Comanche Eliminators are hard to find now.
View Quote

@VVinci

Can you provide a reference for this?  Maybe there was a concept truck that had specs like this but the production Comanche Eliminator was an appearance/trim group IIRC.  Happy to say "I learned something new today" but I can't find a single reference to this.  I owned 2 Jeep XJ's and thought I was pretty well researched on this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Had one....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 "Here comes spider out of the night!" lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8MhRA_o2o

Had one....
Nice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does a 1986/87/88 Nissan Maxima SE count? with a 5 speed these cars were the hotness with all of the auto magazines at the time.

https://images.classic.com/vehicles/7a1aa92c34a846ce1c3431140b75f4f8.jpeg?auto=format&fit=crop&w=600&h=384

View Quote
The first "Brand New" (As in not previously owned) car I ever bought was an 88 Sentra.  Fun as hell little car!  IIRC it had the tightest turning radius of any production car that year (You could park it ANYWHERE!) and you could drive the shit out of it with one fill-up a week.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#27]

I don’t see how one of the most iconic supercars of all time could be considered “forgotten”

This is that popped into my mind.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Riviera was not FWD until the 5th generation cars in the late 1970's, the boat tails were RWD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Riviera was not FWD until the 5th generation cars in the late 1970's, the boat tails were RWD.
Interesting. I apparently I was wrong about that part. I always thought the Rivs were FWD like their sisters the CE and OT. The Riv's just became a lot more interesting to me! lol

Quoted:
The GP competed more against the Riv, and against the Thunderbird.
I'm still having a hard time with the part. Yes, the Riv's were definitely competing with the t-birds (sporty'ish luxury cars) but the GP and Monty's always seemed like a different class (less luxury, more sporty) to me. The 70's Tbird's were basically Lincoln Mark series cars with some styling differences.

IMO, the early 70's GP/MC's competed more with the Ford Grand Torino Sports and out of all of them, a 72 Ford GTS is the car I would lust after...

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Only one cool American car in that era.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/IMG_0429_jpeg-2934463.JPG

Some of those  Levi’s Renegades had performance cammed V-8s, six-point cages, lower gears and lots of cool factory performance bits.
View Quote

A lot of good times with that
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@VVinci

Can you provide a reference for this?  Maybe there was a concept truck that had specs like this but the production Comanche Eliminator was an appearance/trim group IIRC.  Happy to say "I learned something new today" but I can't find a single reference to this.  I owned 2 Jeep XJ's and thought I was pretty well researched on this.
View Quote

I see a reference to the test data every now and again, but it's been years. This Hemmings article hints at it but the quarter mile time mentioned is what I recall for the much heavier 4WD long wheelbase model with offroad wheels/tires that were taller. They also mention the 10 hole Eliminator-specific wheels and short low profile tires, which are hard to even find a pic of actually on a Comanche anymore.  Here's a set of them on eBay. I remember seeing one on a dealer lot that I test drove, and it was impressive. It would spin the rear wheels effortlessly.

EDIT - seems like I remember the package included a 4.11 axle with the five speed trans, but it was not common to find them that way. The one I test drove was the only one I ever saw on our dealer's lot, and I passed that dealer daily.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#31]
The Gran Torino's were pretty, but I always saw them as A-body (Cutlass/Chevelle/Skylark) competitors. The Monte Carlo for the first two generations was in the personal luxury class, especially the 2nd gen version, and was the smallest car in the class IIRC (not saying much!).
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#32]
1978 Fiat Spider

1974 Triumph TR-6

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First car I ever bought that was running and driving was a frankencar.  1972 comet with a maverick hood/fenders/bumper.
250cid inline 6, 1 barrel carb, 4 wheel manual drum brakes, bench seat.

I loved that shitbox.  Mine was a bunch of different colors.  First thing I did was rattlecan it flat black.
Like this, but way shittier and used up.  If I ever catch a decent deal on one, its coming home with me.

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/adventure/1/333/19820/1920x1440/1972-ford-maverick-sprit
View Quote
Was the 250 a special order instead of the 200? I had a '69 Mustang with the 250 and it had to be special ordered.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]

If you go back to post 31 on page 2, and read the "R&T comparison test of five $3500 GT's in 1971. Datsun 240Z, Fiat 124, Opel GT, MGB GT, Triumph GT6", the Fiat actually finished second, with just the 240Z topping it. Now I want one again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dodge Demon / Plymouth Duster.  I had a Duster with the 318 but my bud's 340 Demon was sooo much quicker.
View Quote
I had 2 Dusters both with 318s, would have loved a 340
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
MG Midget

VW Karmann Ghia

VW Thing

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you go back to post 31 on page 2, and read the "R&T comparison test of five $3500 GT's in 1971. Datsun 240Z, Fiat 124, Opel GT, MGB GT, Triumph GT6", the Fiat actually finished second, with just the 240Z topping it. Now I want one again.
View Quote

Yeah, but that was the Fiat sedan, not the Spider, and the sedan was kinda homely, especially in comparison to the 2 seat convertible!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#38]

My first car... but mine was imported under the Bertone badge, not Fiat.

Still a POS.  My blender makes more HP than that car... but the chicks did dig it!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, but that was the Fiat sedan, not the Spider, and the sedan was kinda homely, especially in comparison to the 2 seat convertible!
View Quote

Huh, well I be darned...I read 124 Sport and just assumed it was the Spider. I don't think I've ever even seen the Coupe, or knew it existed. Which, all things considered is no great loss, it is homely.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Lotta Fiat love. X1/9 got a lot of auto cross and track use. Prolly cos they were cheap.

Attachment Attached File

Other than in the possession of a handful of Lancia fans, I don't ever recall seeing a Scorpion on road in the States, or a Beta Montecarlo anywhere else. They aren't dear and kinda cool.

Attachment Attached File

"Holy Shit there's an engine back here!!"

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0726_jpeg-2935014.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0725_jpeg-2935015.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Opel GT
Fiat Panda.

I was just in Italy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0726_jpeg-2935014.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0725_jpeg-2935015.JPG

I was trying to import an HF Integrale into the US at one time.

Fun car!

I have a HotWheels model of the Lancia behind me in my office, though.

ETA: also the yellow Volvo 850 estate

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Was the 250 a special order instead of the 200? I had a '69 Mustang with the 250 and it had to be special ordered.

View Quote

I dont think so.  I have a 69 mustang that came with a 200cid inline 6.  It's rocking a 302 now.  

I think by 71, ford had mostly dropped the 200, and the smallest motor you could get in a 71-73 mustang was the 250cid.  My comet was a 72 model.  I assume the 250 was the factory engine in it.  No way on earth somebody would have gone through the trouble to perform an engine swap and only go up to a 250.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://images.classic.com/vehicles/7a1aa92c34a846ce1c3431140b75f4f8.jpeg?auto=format&fit=crop&w=600&h=384

View Quote

I know where there is a black one, and a maroon one. The black one is pretty clean.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Doesn't really count as "forgotten".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Datsun 280Z
Doesn't really count as "forgotten".
Ok, '74 260 Z then, one year sandwiched between the 240/280Z  It was a PIA to keep smogged in CA with the stock carbs, I stupidly sold mine.

(not mine)
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Pre cash for clunkers used to see a lot of cars/trucks running around that were old and odd. Pretty sure I've seen more Vegas at the drag strip than I ever saw on the road when they were new.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Baddest of the bad, 87 Buick Grand National ,mine is pushing upwards of 700HP with a big turbo upgrade and methanol injection." />
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Baddest of the bad, 87 Buick Grand National ,mine is pushing upwards of 700HP with a big turbo upgrade and methanol injection.https://i.imgur.com/1cWSvfx.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/1cWSvfx.jpg
View Quote

I got one too, but our cars are hardly forgotten about, hell, I think they're more known now!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#48]
This was my dream car until I finally had the opportunity to sit in one.

I am 6'1 If I don't slouch. I am a cyclist and thin.

This car was too effing small. Absolutely beautiful and I would have killed myself in it.

What It's Like to Drive The Alpine Renault A110

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Buick apollo, v8 powered mustang II
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mercury Capri (German made Ford imported by Mercury dealers)
View Quote

With the bobcat V6?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top