User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.

Too expensive, unless the FAA offers up funding for this 98% of small GA airports will just run 100LL until they can no longer buy it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Will airports put up another tank/pump for unleaded avgas?   For how long?  Decades?

No.

Too expensive, unless the FAA offers up funding for this 98% of small GA airports will just run 100LL until they can no longer buy it.

Negative.

You can mix 100LL and G100UL.  They can put the new stuff right into the same tank and then next week put 100LL in it and no problem.

The problem will be the STC issue.  Since they blanket approved it, they should issue an AD requiring a placard change (which can be done by the owner/pilot) and voila, all airplanes are legal and what’s in the tank doesn’t matter when you pull up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Negative.

You can mix 100LL and G100UL.  They can put the new stuff right into the same tank and then next week put 100LL in it and no problem.

The problem will be the STC issue.  Since they blanket approved it, they should issue an AD requiring a placard change (which can be done by the owner/pilot) and voila, all airplanes are legal and what’s in the tank doesn’t matter when you pull up.
View Quote

Yeah, you’re right I’m just talking out of my butt, no clue what I’m doing since I haven’t learned a single thing in the 35 years I’ve been doing this.

I’m just gonna get back to work on the two fuel farm projects I’m currently overseeing... y’all keep doing it we’re all counting on you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My Champ has an STC to run autogas.  I've never done it for that reason.  And it stinks.
View Quote

It causes a lot of fuckery that you don't discover till the overhaul time comes and shit gets expensive.
Dealt with a couple of Pawnee B's running mogas STC's, and even the "alcohol free" stuff left hellacious deposits on the pistons and valves.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lead was a valve stem lubricant also. Put unleaded in old engines and watch the valve guides wear out in no time!
View Quote

Seats. Valve seats. The stems are usually lubed with oil, the uncommon ones use grease, or castor oil mixed with the gas.
The tetraethyl lead was primarily added to fuels for it's antiknock properties, rather than it's lubricity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Aviation is afraid of change.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current "advanced " engines are needlessly complex and heavy. Weight is the enemy.  And lawyers.

Electronic control barely adds any weight and would save lives.

Aviation is afraid of change.  

You can now buy new Lycoming engines (though I don't know what the current wait time is, due to supply chain issues) with a new electronic ignition system on them.  We've installed a few of them at the shop I work at.

No STC needed, as (as I understand it) Lycoming added the electronic system to the engine Type Certificate as an alternate part for the left magneto.  Looks like a weird magneto, that you have to run a power wire to, when you install the engine.

There is also at least one aftermarket electronic ignition system that is STC'd for some of the Lycoming engines, but it's not self-contained in a housing similar to a magneto housing (like the Lycoming factory electronic ignition).  It involves a distributor that bolts on in place of the left magneto, and a box that houses the electronics, that you have to find a place to mount it and wire it in.  

If you are considering either system, I would suggest going with the one Lycoming offers as an option on their engines. (Less paperwork, less to deal with on the installation, and less additional wiring to rub on stuff under the cowling.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It causes a lot of fuckery that you don't discover till the overhaul time comes and shit gets expensive.
Dealt with a couple of Pawnee B's running mogas STC's, and even the "alcohol free" stuff left hellacious deposits on the pistons and valves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Champ has an STC to run autogas.  I've never done it for that reason.  And it stinks.

I figure it runs great on the 100LL, so why change?  I burn about 4 1/4 GPH, so it wouldn't even save a lot of money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
You can now buy new Lycoming engines (though I don't know what the current wait time is, due to supply chain issues
View Quote

A year ago it was 9 months, between their price hikes and supply chain shortages who knows what it is now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can now buy new Lycoming engines (though I don't know what the current wait time is, due to supply chain issues) with a new electronic ignition system on them.  We've installed a few of them at the shop I work at.

No STC needed, as (as I understand it) Lycoming added the electronic system to the engine Type Certificate as an alternate part for the left magneto.  Looks like a weird magneto, that you have to run a power wire to, when you install the engine.

There is also at least one aftermarket electronic ignition system that is STC'd for some of the Lycoming engines, but it's not self-contained in a housing similar to a magneto housing (like the Lycoming factory electronic ignition).  It involves a distributor that bolts on in place of the left magneto, and a box that houses the electronics, that you have to find a place to mount it and wire it in.  

If you are considering either system, I would suggest going with the one Lycoming offers as an option on their engines. (Less paperwork, less to deal with on the installation, and less additional wiring to rub on stuff under the cowling.)
View Quote

I had dual electronic ignitions on the RV8. They worked great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, you’re right I’m just talking out of my butt, no clue what I’m doing since I haven’t learned a single thing in the 35 years I’ve been doing this.

I’m just gonna get back to work on the two fuel farm projects I’m currently overseeing... y’all keep doing it we’re all counting on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

You know what happens to companies that dig in their heels and don’t accept progress?  

Ask all those buggy whip manufacturers.

Nothing like an expert saying “it can’t be done”.  The competition will do it for you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did it detect and prevent detonation?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see how the transition works...or doesn't.

100LL is the standard fuel for GA aircraft.  Will airports put up another tank/pump for unleaded avgas?   For how long?  Decades?
View Quote
Doubtful.  I expect they'll just cut over, and probably with little to no advance notice.

The thing that sucks for consumers, but is great for GAMI is that every piston airplane owner will have to buy the STC from GAMI for about $500, which will buy you a couple "100UL" decals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I doubt that AvGas contributes much to lead pollution in general, but I think the unleaded AvGas will be great for valves, pistons, oil and spark plugs.
View Quote
Lead fouling will be a thing of the past, for sure.  I'm sure some other, probably more catastrophic (and more expensive to repair), failure will emerge caused by unleaded gas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

AVFUEL seems to believe (in writing) that G100UL can be pumped right in to existing infrastructure with zero modifications.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doubtful.  I expect they'll just cut over, and probably with little to no advance notice.

The thing that sucks for consumers, but is great for GAMI is that every piston airplane owner will have to buy the STC from GAMI for about $500, which will buy you a couple "100UL" decals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see how the transition works...or doesn't.

100LL is the standard fuel for GA aircraft.  Will airports put up another tank/pump for unleaded avgas?   For how long?  Decades?

The Swift fuel STC is $100, I'm pretty sure.

eta: ...just as a reference.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#15]
So then we don’t have to buzz lead deposits out the spark plugs anymore? And my valves aren’t going to stick because they’re full of lead?

Awesome! Gonna save me thousands!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They made the sparky things spark.

I feel that they helped the engine make more power. Maxed out I could see about 200mph. Fuel flow worked out to about 18 mpg
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The lead is also a lubricant. If the epa does away with 100ll a lot of older airplanes will end in the scrap pile. With as expensive as aviation is already, older airplanes are only way many can fly.
View Quote

Little airplanes=freedom.

The Government hates freedom.

TC
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Romans ate lead and still ruled the world for centuries.
We took the lead out of gas and paint because it made kids dumb. Look around you, do they seem any smarter now?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

TC
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Osha requires blood testing in battery plants and not a brain biopsy any idea why?
View Quote

Window dressing? Can’t have the battery plant shut down because of contamination, now, can we?

TC
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That makes sense.  Just annotate the pump with the details but what if I choose not to buy a STC?  Most avgas I ever bought was self-service.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That makes sense.  Just annotate the pump with the details but what if I choose not to buy a STC?  Most avgas I ever bought was self-service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's approved for all piston aircraft, (and not approved by type, like Swift), there would be no need for a Supplemental Type Certificate.  It would be no different than using a different oil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I feel that they helped the engine make more power. Maxed out I could see about 200mph. Fuel flow worked out to about 18 mpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious, and I should have known.  Car engines prevent detonation with the computer.  If plane engines did that, the fuel would be much less of an issue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just curious, and I should have known.  Car engines prevent detonation with the computer.  If plane engines did that, the fuel would be much less of an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they first started putting electronic ignition in cars (1970s), it didn't come with all the fancy sensors that they have been putting on them for the last couple decades or so.  It was just an electronic distributor that did a better job of controlling the spark (easier starting and probably a small increase in power) with the same inputs that were available to the mechanical distributors.  Until they put even more electronics on the engine (controlling the fuel, and more sensors), it's not going to be doing a lot to prevent detonation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When they first started putting electronic ignition in cars (1970s), it didn't come with all the fancy sensors that they have been putting on them for the last couple decades or so.  It was just an electronic distributor that did a better job of controlling the spark (easier starting and probably a small increase in power) with the same inputs that were available to the mechanical distributors.  Until they put even more electronics on the engine (controlling the fuel, and more sensors), it's not going to be doing a lot to prevent detonation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The beginnings of electronic ignition simply eliminated points, and all of those shortcomings.  I would wager a perfectly tuned set of points is as precise as a simple electronic ignition system, but not for very long.  

I’d also bet a nickel a dual electronic ignition system is more reliable than the old dual-mag
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The beginnings of electronic ignition simply eliminated points, and all of those shortcomings.  I would wager a perfectly tuned set of points is as precise as a simple electronic ignition system, but not for very long.  

I’d also bet a nickel a dual electronic ignition system is more reliable than the old dual-mag
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that it relies on an electrical system, so the electrical system has to come with redundancies.  Batteries are heavy, and a charge doesn't last very long.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Just did some math. The average mean time between engine failures in a piston is 6700 miles, which is roughly equivalent to a car engine failing every 300,000 miles. That’s impressive other than the aircraft engine having 3 overhauls in that time at a cost of $38,000 each.

Actually that’s the first time I’ve done the math and seen why a turboprop single can equal a piston twin on cost.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously, but the technology didn't exist in the 70's, and now it does.   I didn't know whether he had a FADEC setup, or just the ignition.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lead isn't there to boost the octane.  It helps prevent detonation.
View Quote

Lead also functions as a lubricant.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The problem is that it relies on an electrical system, so the electrical system has to come with redundancies.  Batteries are heavy, and a charge doesn't last very long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an outboard with a full electronic ignition, zero battery required
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens when your alternator quits?  

If your engine quits, does your boat sink?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe three decades ago, somebody started making an electronic module that replaced the points on push mowers.  Nothing fancy with claims of increasing power - it just eliminated having to occasionally pull the flywheel to set the points.

On the two electronic ignition systems I have seen installed on Lycoming engines, both required power from the aircraft electrical system.  I was told the FAA will not allow installing a second electronic ignition system in place of the remaining mag, unless the plane has a dual buss electrical system (a second electrical system to power the electronic ignition, if the first electrical system fails).
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

Oh you mean the same permanent magnet system that is in your magnetos?!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe three decades ago, somebody started making an electronic module that replaced the points on push mowers.  Nothing fancy with claims of increasing power - it just eliminated having to occasionally pull the flywheel to set the points.

On the two electronic ignition systems I have seen installed on Lycoming engines, both required power from the aircraft electrical system.  I was told the FAA will not allow installing a second electronic ignition system in place of the remaining mag, unless the plane has a dual buss electrical system (a second electrical system to power the electronic ignition, if the first electrical system fails).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet continental is cranking out their CD line of piston engines…

Amazing!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Obviously, but the technology didn't exist in the 70's, and now it does.   I didn't know whether he had a FADEC setup, or just the ignition.
View Quote

Feds are now allowing one magneto to be replaced by an electronic system, while still retaining the other magneto as a failsafe against electrical system failure.

If they allow replacing the mechanical fuel injection with electronic fuel injection, what would be the failsafe against electrical system failure?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Amazing!
View Quote

And they even hope to raise the TBR* on them.

*Time Between Replacement, since overhauling them is not allowed (or not yet allowed).
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What alternator?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

I don't know what your boat has.  Does it have an ignition coil?  If so, then no, it's not the same system.   If it uses magnitos, then it has electronic points, and there is no real advantage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

*Time Between Replacement, since overhauling them is not allowed (or not yet allowed).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

2100 hours.  and 35-40k replacement.  I'm not seeing anything different than what lycoming is offering.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You mean hours.
View Quote

Sorry yes, 6700 hours.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't know what your boat has.  Does it have an ignition coil?  If so, then no, it's not the same system.   If it uses magnitos, then it has electronic points, and there is no real advantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

and we're back full circle, aviation does not like/is afraid of change.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

Change for the sake of change  -  no.   If there is no demonstrable advantage, such as with electronic points, it's not worth the paperwork to get it approved. Aviation likes what is known and proven to work well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

2100 hours.  and 35-40k replacement.  I'm not seeing anything different than what lycoming is offering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

From what I can find on their website,

CD-135 2100 hours TBR.
CD-155 2100 hours run time or 12 years calendar time TBR.
CD-170 1200 hours TBR, with plans to increase it in the future.
CD-300 2000 hours TBR.

Also seems to be a requirement to replace the timing chain and reduction gearbox at around the halfway point to the engine TBR.

I like the idea of putting diesel engines on aircraft and have argued in favor of it in the past, but there are issues involved with putting them on existing light aircraft, just as there are issues in putting electronic engine control on existing light aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Change for the sake of change  -  no.   If there is no demonstrable advantage, such as with electronic points, it's not worth the paperwork to get it approved. Aviation likes what is known and proven to work well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

Everyone has their opinions on change and technology.  I don't think anyone will say you HAVE to run electronic ignition, same as you won't HAVE to run unleaded avgas.  But you're going to have a harder time buying it.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

CD-135 2100 hours TBR.
CD-300 2000 hours TBR.

Also seems to be a requirement to replace the timing chain and reduction gearbox at around the halfway point to the engine TBR.

I like the idea of putting diesel engines on aircraft and have argued in favor of it in the past, but there are issues involved with putting them on existing light aircraft, just as there are issues in putting electronic engine control on existing light aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

CD-135 2100 hours TBR.
CD-300 2000 hours TBR.

I feel like i remember this same debate 20+ years ago, and you can buy all kinds of light aircraft from the OEMs with these engines installed now.  

I'm not saying they are then end all/be all, but how many top end overhauls have we done on engines with 500 hours on them?  Gearboxes after 100 hours?  Yes, airplanes are expensive.  But not helicopter expensive
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Everyone has their opinions on change and technology.  I don't think anyone will say you HAVE to run electronic ignition, same as you won't HAVE to run unleaded avgas.  But you're going to have a harder time buying it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

Problem is that unless you are flying something in the 'Experimental' category, you HAVE to get FAA approval to make the sort of changes you are talking about.

From personal experience, the process of getting that approval can be as short as walking into the FSDO, explaining what you want to do and how it is similar to something that has been approved for decades, then getting a response of " ... No."
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We know that leaded gas is terrible. The question is whether avgas, which is the leading source of airborne lead, is a health risk. People who love and work near GA airfields have higher concentrations of lead in their bodies and there is no safe level of lead exposure.
View Quote

Talk about hyperbole, you have it in spades with your comment.

Lead levels in ALL humans who live in an industrial society are higher than those before the industrial revolution.  That's a FACT, and it's regardless of whether a person works in GA or some other environment.  Thus, to say that there is "no safe level" is very hyperbolic.

The real question is "how much is acceptable?" and NOT the question you propose of "is any lead acceptable?"

By the way, this is a firearms forum, and most persons who shoot firearms recreationally are exposed to additional lead sources that are ingested into the body.  Primers are the #1 source.  However, like everything else, mitigating exposure by doing certain prophylactic measures can keep the lead levels down to what is considered "normal" for a industrial society resident.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Talk about hyperbole, you have it in spades with your comment.

Lead levels in ALL humans who live in an industrial society are higher than those before the industrial revolution.  That's a FACT, and it's regardless of whether a person works in GA or some other environment.  Thus, to say that there is "no safe level" is very hyperbolic.

The real question is "how much is acceptable?" and NOT the question you propose of "is any lead acceptable?"

By the way, this is a firearms forum, and most persons who shoot firearms recreationally are exposed to additional lead sources that are ingested into the body.  Primers are the #1 source.  However, like everything else, mitigating exposure by doing certain prophylactic measures can keep the lead levels down to what is considered "normal" for a industrial society resident.
View Quote

I’m the guy that washes his hands after shooting then showers and changes clothes when I can. I don’t like lead. I love asbestos though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Problem is that unless you are flying something in the 'Experimental' category, you HAVE to get FAA approval to make the sort of changes you are talking about.

From personal experience, the process of getting that approval can be as short as walking into the FSDO, explaining what you want to do and how it is similar to something that has been approved for decades, then getting a response of " ... No."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What alternator?  

Wait, you have a FSDO that actually makes a decision!?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I feel like i remember this same debate 20+ years ago, and you can buy all kinds of light aircraft from the OEMs with these engines installed now.  

View Quote

It was maybe 13 or 14 years ago that I was doing what I could to try to convince shop management to take a serious look at getting an STC to install the Thielert Centurion 4.0 engines.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Wait, you have a FSDO that actually makes a decision!?
View Quote

Did in the mid-1990s, at least.  I do what I can to avoid talking to most of them, now.
Page / 4
Top Top