Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the scrap value?
I'll pay $1000 less, and I'll take 10.
View Quote

Scrap value?

Aren’t the batteries considered hazardous waste, and you need to pay for that special hazardous disposal???

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you could get a nicely optioned extended range XLT for $35K new, it might be worth it as a second vehicle. $70K -$95K they can keep it. It should be cheaper than the gas equivalent, since it is more limited in function and will depreciate faster. You'll also need a second vehicle for when you need something with more range.

If they can not build them and sell them for a price where the market demand meets the supply required to efficiently manufacture them for that price, then the business model doesn't work. Subsidies should not be a thing.
View Quote

Should be a lot cheaper. Thousands of parts in a ice vehicle, 1/5 or less in most EV.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For as much as this place is concerned about "preparedness", home solar, home battery storage, and an EV is the most reliable way to guarantee mobility (bonus points to electric dirt bike or UTV).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go $20k.

Would be nice to have a vehicle I could charge with my solar panels.
For as much as this place is concerned about "preparedness", home solar, home battery storage, and an EV is the most reliable way to guarantee mobility (bonus points to electric dirt bike or UTV).

You're assuming the government hasn't told Ford to just disable everyone's vehicle as a control measure. You've got about a 0.0% chance of getting a EV working without the car letting you.

Older flex fuel vehicles and carbureted vehicles can run on ethanol and lack the connectivity to remotely disable. You don't even need electric to make E95 fuel at home.  Just yeast, something to feed it, heat and a still.

I think the sweet spot for prepper transportation is solar charged E-bikes and offroad/enduro E-motorcycles.  OK range and can feasibly be charged somewhat quickly with modest solar setup. With a spare battery or two the you can get ~100mi and pedaling is an option too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If they were hybrids or plug-in hybrids I might consider them.
View Quote
It would have to be a real, real good discount to convince me to buy any current EV right before they're going to switch to the Tesla charge cable.

... at least I expect/hope they'll change the ports instead of just throwing an adapter in the glovebox.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My sons FIL paid 10k over.

His first electric bill was $900 bucks for one month.

And his house is plastered with solar panels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how the people that paid over MSRP for them when they first came out feel lol

What was his previous electric bill?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, they are not.  Completely dependent on the software.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they are not.  Completely dependent on the software.

So every new car made? Depending on what specifically you are talking about every car made in the last 25 years or more.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd take one for free in exchange for a 1 - 2 year real world ownership review.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Next year it'll be "Install our home charger for 10 easy payments of $49.99 and we'll give you a Lightning free!"
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't say I'm upset to see that this scam is massively backfiring.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Go Obiden WOKE…go broke! HaHaHaHa!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Complete FAIL by OP.  Claims to get one now with a deep discount, but doesn't say what the discount is nor any link to it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends on how much they are willing to pay me to take it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
And why would I want an EV with an obsolete plug that would be pushing it's tow range to take my trailer to the next town from mine - while spending more money on the electricity than the diesel would cost.

Deleted the paragraph of bitching about doing that tow 2x a week - not to mention I would have needed to do it 3x a week, but ended up paying $500 a month to avoid it.  Will be doing it again maybe in a year.  My new house will have solar - but I don't think solar could charge an EV truck quick enough to manage that tow daily (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday), given 1/2 peak solar daylight I would be away from the house.

Quoted:

You would need about 10 panels to do anything worthy of decent charge time.

View Quote
10 panels at peak would give you 4k watts.  Full charging rate with a normal residential charger needs 10kw/hr.  Where I live I get about 5hrs a day peak - so 20kw a day aint much with an 60-100kwh battery.  Ford does have a fucking expensive 20kw/hr charger - but that would take 50 panels to power (and honestly probably a few more if you actually wanted to do it in 5hrs).  I was planning on putting 96 panels on my new house (to start - have roof area for 64 more, and honestly thinking about going from a 3 car to a 4 car garage to get in an extra 18)- so I could run the AC and still have enough left over to peak off the battery system and have some left over to charge an EV - but honestly, it probably is not nearly enough.  But now Biden just doubled the cost of doing that.  Honestly,  currently wondering if I should buy a shipping container so I can buy the panels before the tax hits - It will be late spring or summer next year before I am going to be ready to do the solar install.

The garage is East/West.  The panels will never produce rated capacity, but they will stretch the generation a couple hours each day - so the battery system will be less strained to run the AC a few more hours daily.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You might want to take a look at your extra solar output and how long that will take to charge up an EV.  Dirt bike?  Sure, that's possible.  Car is not happening.
View Quote
Sure it is.

It really comes back to how many miles you're driving each day and the size of your array.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You would need about 10 panels to do anything worthy of decent charge time.
View Quote
I have 48 panels currently. I'll probably bump up another 6k watts for better winter performance.

Electric heat burns a lot of electricity...
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go $20k.

Would be nice to have a vehicle I could charge with my solar panels.

My horses are more reliable, last longer, can make other horses, can go places UTVs and dirt bikes can’t, doesn’t need a charge or any modern technology

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're assuming the government hasn't told Ford to just disable everyone's vehicle as a control measure. You've got about a 0.0% chance of getting a EV working without the car letting you.

Older flex fuel vehicles and carbureted vehicles can run on ethanol and lack the connectivity to remotely disable. You don't even need electric to make E95 fuel at home.  Just yeast, something to feed it, heat and a still.

I think the sweet spot for prepper transportation is solar charged E-bikes and offroad/enduro E-motorcycles.  OK range and can feasibly be charged somewhat quickly with modest solar setup. With a spare battery or two the you can get ~100mi and pedaling is an option too.
View Quote
EV's don't have to be online to function. If theyre shutting off everyone's ev's they'll be killing everyone's ice vehicles as well. Ice and EV have pretty much an identical susceptibility to an OTA update killing them.

I've got four kids so my primary plan is gas vehicles. I think it would be nice to have an accessory EV vehicle for local travel. You can always disable the antennas and put a diode on the cell system to make the vehicle think it's just temporarily out of network connection.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Our company just bought one for use by our department.   I test drove a demo unit a month or two ago, and I was impressed.  I’ll give some feedback after we’ve had it a while.

I’d rather have an electric Ranger/Tacoma/Frontier size truck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yep. I don't want to replace my F250 with one, but would make a great 3rd or 4th vehicle.
View Quote

Might want to check on the insurance cost before getting suckered in. No idea what they'd be but I wouldn't want to get a nasty surprise.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Two hours driving with a trailer. Two hours charging.

What’s not to love?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly they should have made something around the size of the old Ranger. KISS ..smaller in city run around truck under 20k.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Complete FAIL by OP.  Claims to get one now with a deep discount, but doesn't say what the discount is nor any link to it.
View Quote
]

some info here
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]
After a quick look at one of the dozen plus Ford dealers in my area. They have 38 of them in stock.  an XLT with an MSRP of 58,000 can be had for around 43,000
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After a quick look at one of the dozen plus Ford dealers in my area. They have 38 of them in stock.  an XLT with an MSRP of 58,000 can be had for around 43,000
View Quote

Damn.  If it came with a good warranty that's not bad.

Why not just carry a portable generator for longer trips, or emergencies?  Incorporate that system to run when driving down the highway and call it a hybrid.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Honestly they should have made something around the size of the old Ranger. KISS ..smaller in city run around truck under 20k.
View Quote

They did.  Early 2000's Ranger, there was a full electric version.  We were one of the only dealers in 2 or 3 states radius that were certified (and had the expensive battery lift) to work on them.  There was some city over in Missouri that had bought a handful of them.  Kept bringing them in to us with problems, before having to dump the fleet of them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not even if they're free.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:54:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only XLT's around me are at 52 after all the discounts. I think it will do most everything I need to do. I'd like to see how much battery it burns through on my work commute and what it would cost to recharge it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My horses are more reliable, last longer, can make other horses, can go places UTVs and dirt bikes can't, doesn't need a charge or any modern technology

View Quote
Plus horses provide fertilizer for your garden.  Power to till your fields, grind your grain.  A whole lot of things.  As a last resort, meat for your table.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
$43,000 before or after the $7500 stolen from taxpayers?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll pass
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#33]
For 5K gut it and build a nice ICE out of it that could be a interesting project.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If they were hybrids or plug-in hybrids I might consider them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is 0 chance the lightning had anything to do with this. On average, at a public charger where the rate is double or triple or more what the actual electric rate is, you can charge a lightning from 10% to full for less than $20...WAY LESS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Two hours driving with a trailer. Two hours charging.

What’s not to love?
View Quote

Towing with my Ford Lightning EV Pickup was a TOTAL DISASTER!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#38]
If they had kept the original suggested prices when I "reserved" one, this wouldn't have been an issue.  People like me and everyone else I know that reserved one all canceled their orders when the trucks came in with a price $20k over what we had thought they were going to be.  

I don't understand their (the car industry in general) pricing to begin with, so it's hard for me to sit here and say they should have taken the loss to get the trucks to market, and hindsight is always 20 20 and all that, but here we are.  I'll be checking out how deep the discounts are today.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#40]
And just like the cyber truck, it will only go about 80 miles when pulling a bigger trailer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Should be a lot cheaper. Thousands of parts in a ice vehicle, 1/5 or less in most EV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you could get a nicely optioned extended range XLT for $35K new, it might be worth it as a second vehicle. $70K -$95K they can keep it. It should be cheaper than the gas equivalent, since it is more limited in function and will depreciate faster. You'll also need a second vehicle for when you need something with more range.

If they can not build them and sell them for a price where the market demand meets the supply required to efficiently manufacture them for that price, then the business model doesn't work. Subsidies should not be a thing.

The reason that EVs are so expensive is the cost of labor for the raw materials.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For 5K gut it and build a nice ICE out of it that could be a interesting project.
View Quote
godzilla swap dat bish.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My horses are more reliable, last longer, can make other horses, can go places UTVs and dirt bikes can’t, doesn’t need a charge or any modern technology

View Quote

I can take a dirt bike places a horse won't or can't go. I grew up with horses and burros. I know their limitations. They are also expensive as hell to maintain. Dirt bike is much cheaper and you can throw it in a shed for a few months without issues. Tend to void the horse warranty if you don't make sure they have food and water.

My dirt bike has also out lasted the horses. Only thing it doesn't do is make more but for that you need 2 horses anyways and 2+ more than doubles the PITA of dealing with them.

If you can't tell I hate horses. 20+ years of them has brought me to that point. Horse people are also insane.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
EV's don't have to be online to function. If theyre shutting off everyone's ev's they'll be killing everyone's ice vehicles as well. Ice and EV have pretty much an identical susceptibility to an OTA update killing them.

I've got four kids so my primary plan is gas vehicles. I think it would be nice to have an accessory EV vehicle for local travel. You can always disable the antennas and put a diode on the cell system to make the vehicle think it's just temporarily out of network connection.
View Quote

Or drive an ICE vehicle pre ~2015. When the kill signal goes all of the vehicles at my house stay up and running. None have any form of communication. One will probably survive an EMP.or Carrington Event and it is computer controlled. Simple enough to make it carborated too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Ford thread ... Still has the shitty implementation of canbus to nearly all sensors (serial, not switched or common bus) and stupid expensive to fix.

Bust your tail lights and dent your tailgate, insurance will call it a "loss" as repairs will top $25k ($5k-$10k for the corners and $5k+ for the tailgate)

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#46]
And how has the dealership been managing the very expensive battery for the past year or so?
Did they just let it go to 0% and stay there?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And just like the cyber truck, it will only go about 80 miles when pulling a bigger trailer.
View Quote
I've been saying for a while now, EVs are interesting tech but they are nowhere near ready for prime time. Maybe in a few generations of improvements, they will be. But for now, the tech is still far too young to be practical.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#49]
If they give me $10,000 I'll take one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top