Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2022 2:16:18 AM EDT
Taking the family to Universal Studios FL for the first time. Any advice one how to work your way through the park? Are the "skip the line" passes worth it? I tried to buy the $120 pass for $360 for the 3 of us and at check it is was almost $1,000 and wasn't clear why it was that price on checkout so I canceled getting the passes. We haven't been on a vacation since 2008 so we dont know what the hell we are doing! What is the best way to get from the airport to the park? Thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
recommendations? Stop feeding the beast.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ

4Rivers BBQ

Shoot Straight gun store in Apopka (30 min drive)

Yeah, that’ll cover it…
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
But....why though?

I bet for what you are going to pay for the full vacation, all said and done, you could take your family on an international vacation.  Could actually go see and experience a new place on the planet, instead of paying through to nose to stand in lines to see manufactured cookie cutter "entertainment".
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
If you see Mickey Mouse out on the town, kick that little fucker in the dick.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]
It is more of a trip for the kids trip to see the Jurassic Park stuff as they are obsessed with dinosaurs. After this we are scuba diving in the tropics(adult fun and relaxation!). I'm not thrilled to be going to a theme park but will make the best of it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ

4Rivers BBQ

Yeah, that’ll cover it…
View Quote

Great suggestions

And also check out Shooters World, its about a mile down the road from Universal and massive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
If they are busy then the fast pass is worth is.  Stay at an on property location that includes the passes if you can swing it.  $300-400 a night may sound expensive but you figure out what the passes cost alone vs a nice hotel and it may make sense.  

Was surprised by the food at Cowfish.  If you like burgers and sushi then get some burgushi.  Bigfire is also good.  The food at Toothsome's is meh but deserts are good.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
YouTube has travel guides on what to do and not and how to save money.  Plus reviews on rides and restaurants.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Stay at one of the onsite hotels, no parking fee.  The fast passes pay for them selves.  I recommend the Portifino if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m a pass holder and former Universal Employee.I love the place personally.If you’re m going during Spring Break it’s gonna be CROWDED.The express passes are worth it.You can do both parks in one day.If it’s busy and you don’t have those passes it can be tough to do one park let alone two in a day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Fast pass. Most of day will be waiting  in lines. Control how much stuff is taken in, you will be forced to carry it.
You job is pack mule and mobile atm.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Universal's Fast Pass is supposed to be significantly better than Disney's. Get it.

We had been planning a trip there when Covid hit and never rescheduled.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is more of a trip for the kids trip to see the Jurassic Park stuff as they are obsessed with dinosaurs. After this we are scuba diving in the tropics(adult fun and relaxation!). I'm not thrilled to be going to a theme park but will make the best of it.
View Quote

You're taking your kids to a theme park because they're obsessed with dinosaurs?

Why not take them to a natural history museum and a dig site? It might even be cheaper, and it will definitely be more insightful.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
If you ask a Floridian such as myself I wouldnt go.

Take your kids to the beach instead.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#15]
You will be waiting in lines all day.  Everything is expensive.  Make a reservation at one of the restaurants well ahead of time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#16]
It was 75f and 100% humidity at 6am yesterday.
Summer is at our doorstep.
Pack rain gear.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#17]
What timeframe are you going?

How many days do you plan on going into the parks?

As was stated, if you stay onsite at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, or Portofino Bay you get the Express passes included, which can really help offset the actual cost of the hotel - and all three of those hotels are great!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I have only been there once so take this for what it is worth.

See if your hotel has a shuttle from the airport, many do.

Try to not carry anything with you in the park when you are going on the rides.  Nothing in your pockets, etc.  It is a pain in the ass to have to put everything in a locker before each ride.  Not all rides have that requirement but many do.

The up-charge for the speed pass is worth whatever you think your time is worth.  Lines are long and it will shorten them quite a bit.  

If you are on a tight budget you can sometimes get in faster without a speed pass if you ride as singles but, at least the one time i was there, the single line bypassed some neat stuff they put in the queue to make the wait less unbearable.  They also intentionally split up people in the singles line to prevent them from gaming the system that way which means you will all be riding with strangers.  

Go early, as in right when they open and immediately head to the Harry Potter area.  It may be better now but at the time we went a few years ago it was absolutely mobbed by mid morning.  

Food and services are mediocre at Universal compared to Disney but equally astronomical in price so don't expect a gourmet meal even though the bill will look like you ate one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're taking your kids to a theme park because they're obsessed with dinosaurs?

Why not take them to a natural history museum and a dig site? It might even be cheaper, and it will definitely be more insightful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or go to Africa, where you can see them in their natural habitat.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Last time I went to universal studios was when they opened island of adventure. Everyone was going to IoA and we practically had US all to ourselves. Did every ride a couple times, watched most of the shows, ate and were in the truck headed home at 3pm. Haven't been back since because it would ruin the memory of that wonderful day.

Do your kids a favor and cut out a day of vacation to go to Kennedy Space Center. I don't know when you're coming down but the Artemis 1 launch vehicle is on the pad for a tanking test right now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Been a long time since I've been that way but there were TWO nearly identical attractions, Universal and another unrelated one very close to one another.  My wife was mad as she chose one then things she wanted to see were at the other one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Yea, don't.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Super busy.
After all said and done, we went on 9 rides for the whole day. Itemize it all up to see the cost per ride and you may rethink it.
It’s a lot of flash, noisy, and $$$$$$
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ

4Rivers BBQ

Yeah, that’ll cover it…
View Quote

OP you can pass on of these suggestions.

Bubbalous is ok
4Rivers quality plummeted when they moved to a new location and started expanding

Shoot Straight is more like an hour from Universal and while large, their selection isn’t what it used to.  

The Shooters World suggestion is a good one

The Mummy is a great ride as is all the Harry Potter stuff.  

Roco’s Tacos on Dr Philips is good eating.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#26]
This time of year, long lines and crowds. Watch the weather as well. Our kids like Universal over the other big parks, so I recommend it. It’s a gun discussion board, so...metal detectors at the front last time we went. No legal issues carrying, but you won’t be getting in with it anyway. Citywalk has all the better food, so plan to eat there, if you stay around the park.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Or go to Africa, where you can see them in their natural habitat.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Honestly the fast passes are crucial

Otherwise you're waiting an hour or more per cool ride

The shitty rides it's not as big of a deal
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Universal is great, way better than Disney world.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Fast pass for sure. Went with family 6 or so years ago and did the early entry and fast pass route and I was glad we did it. Was back at the hard rock by about 1p.m. Relaxing at the pool every day. I initially was a skeptic but no more
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Have fun!
View Quote

Not sure that is 100% accurate. The parks are totally different and people need understand that.

Disney is a theme park geared to smaller children and families. Yes, plenty of adults like it but that is not their primary audience. Rides are therefore going to be on the tame side.

Universal is geared towards teens and adults so is more ride focused. They have legitimate roller coasters in addition to dark-coaster/Imax ones. The later can be problematic if you are prone to motion sickness. The Harry Potter world's are pretty cool, but a decent amount of the park is forgettable.

Stay on resort to get in early, or like other have said, include fast passes. Yes they are expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#32]
The fast passes were money WELL spent.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have fun!
View Quote

This.
Going in June with my daughter.
We have stayed at The Grove Resort the last few times and Uber everywhere.
The Grove is absolutely worth it and offers plenty to do on days you aren't in the park.
"The Simpson's" area is fun, as my life used to revolve around that show.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Stay at one of the park's hotels.. You get a free express pass and almost pays for the hotel room.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Fast pass vs 2 hour wait for a ride.
However, fast pass not valid for all rides.
Beer? Like about $9
Metal detectors.
If you like heat, crowds, standing in line, being disarmed and ripped off, it's the place to go.
(I've been several times, but it's been a few years ago).
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I have gone many times in the past couple years. 1st thing you want to do Is download the app and put on your phone and check on wait times book wait times before you go.

If you can't get a fast pass I suggest going 1st sick in the morning try to get on the very 1st ride you can at 8 AM. Stay until 11 or 12And leave and go to your hotel for lunch.Then go back to the park at 3 or 4 PM until 8 PM.I've known so parks are more busy between 12 and 4 and most people can't be there all day and date by 5 or 6 PM they leave.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude? You live in Colorado and you're going to Florida to see dinosaurs? You're kidding, right?

When our kid was about nine, we took a "dinosaur vacation." We went to Hill City, South Dakota to see the Black Hills Institute (home of "Sue"). We visited Mammoth Site. We went to the South Dakota School of Mines to see their museum, we dug fish fossils in Wyoming, toured the museum at Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado/Utah, stopped at rock and fossil shops and went to the Science Museum in Denver.  Along the way (about a 2,000 mile trip) we saw the Badlands and Rushmore, camped at Devil's Tower and spent three days in Yellowstone. We also drove through the Tetons. It was one of the best vacations ever. The kid loved it and it was a thrill to see Junior engage in intelligent conversations with real dinosaur experts. About the only thing we didn't do was go on an actual dinosaur dig (which you can do, if you're so inclined).

Please tell me you've taken the little rug rats to REAL dinosaur sites in your own backyard, and that theme park is just the LAST thing you do to satisfy your kiddos' dinosaur obsession . . .
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Express pass is worth every penny.

Make your dinner reservations now.

Stay at the Portofino and you get the express passes free.  Added bonus is early access and you get to ride the boat to the park.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Got back from Disney and Universal about a month ago.  Yes, the fast pass is worth it.  2 parks plus the business district in front.  If yall like rollers the Velociraptor and Hulf are AWESOME.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Stay at one of the onsite hotels, no parking fee.  The fast passes pay for them selves.  I recommend the Portifino if you can swing it.
View Quote

Good recommendation.

Wife and I booked the lowest priced room and they upgraded us to the Governatore Suite; it was decadently awesome.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I didn't get the fast pass last week and rode every ride and some twice.  The key is downloading the app and setting notifications within the app for ride times.  The ride waiting times vary all throughout the day.  One minute will be a two hour wait and the next it'll drop to 45 minutes.  Just be ready to traverse the park when you get the notification.  Also, buy one of the Coca Cola refillable cups in the park for $16.99 and share it throughout the day.  There's refill stations throughout the park.  You ARE allowed to bring a refillable water bottle too.

Also, as soon as you get in the park, go right either to The Rockit rollercoaster or Harry Potter.  Those will have the longest wait times throughout the day and they'll be shortest upon opening.

Use the single rider lines as a fast pass.  You won't ride together usually but who cares.  You'll get right on in less than 10 minutes.

I don't recall seeing any dinosaur rides at Universal proper.  I think there's one at the neighboring connected park Island of Adventure.  You'll need to buy park Hopper passes or whatever they're called.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Skip the tourist trap parks and visit places like St. Augustine and the Castillo de San Marcos, the various springs, stop for boiled peanut roadside vendors (likely cash only), visit the museum at Cape Canaveral, get bit by a shark swimming off of Patrick AFB's beach. Anything but tourist traps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Great rides there. It’s the natural progression from the kiddie rides of Disney. Harry Potter everything will be packed while older legacy rides won’t be as bad. Everyone likes different things so it’s hard to say what we liked is what you will like.

It will be hot and crowded. Relax and enjoy,
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Take them to Montana for one of the best dinosaur museums ever in bozeman MT
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Pony up for the "Express Unlimited Pass".  If you are staying on property, it is included for free at some of the hotels.

I was there a week or so ago, and it worked on all rides in both parks except for the Hagrid roller coaster and the Velocicoaster.  It will save you a TON of time waiting in lines.

Also, rope drop Islands of Adventure.  I would suggest being at the first security gate no later than 6am if they are doing extended hours starting at 8am. You will need to walk to the park if staying on property to do this, since the boats don't start running early enough.  Once through the security gate, move quickly and try to get 1st or second in line at one of the turnstiles into the park.  Once you are into the park, haul ass (literally run) to Hagrids.  Once off that, do the same to Velocicoaster.  My daughter and I had those two rides done within 30 minutes of the park opening and the rest of the day was at leisure thanks to the Express Passes.  We easily knocked out everything at both parks through the rope drop/Express Unlimited Pass strategy.  Don't half-ass this strategy.  By the time my daughter and I exited the Hagrid coaster on our way to Velocicoaster, the late sleepers, non-running fatties and the mobility scooter crowd had the line for Hagrids up to over two hours within 20 minutes of the early opening.

Another note, Universal rope dropping is not like Disney rope dropping where they will try to hold you back or pull you out for running.  Universal will have an employee yakking a cursory "please don't run", but once you are in the park, it is game on.

Yes, I have an odd affinity for theme parks.  Comes with having 4 daughters, I guess.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I was at Universal Studios theme park in Florida back in the late '90's so my info is outdated, but it was an awesome place.  They had a tour ride that took you through the "backlot" and there were hundreds of vehicles and props used in movies, including Indiana Jones movies.  Unfortunately, all the stuff was rotting away in the Florida tropics, but it was cool as hell.  At one exhibit they had the hot rod used by Tim Allen in the Home Improvement sitcoms, the one he built through a few seasons.  Also saw some of the props used in Star Wars, it was surprising seeing how cheaply they looked in real life.  One was the table that Michelle Obama and C3PO were playing that "ghost" chess on in the Millenium Falcon.  Looked like it was made from styrofoam.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was at Universal Studios theme park in Florida back in the late '90's so my info is outdated, but it was an awesome place.  They had a tour ride that took you through the "backlot" and there were hundreds of vehicles and props used in movies, including Indiana Jones movies.  Unfortunately, all the stuff was rotting away in the Florida tropics, but it was cool as hell.  At one exhibit they had the hot rod used by Tim Allen in the Home Improvement sitcoms, the one he built through a few seasons.  Also saw some of the props used in Star Wars, it was surprising seeing how cheaply they looked in real life.  One was the table that Michelle Obama and C3PO were playing that "ghost" chess on in the Millenium Falcon.  Looked like it was made from styrofoam.
View Quote

That was MGM Studios which is now Hollywood Studios and one of the 4 parks incorporated into the Disney World Resort atmosphere in and around Orlando.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Don’t .. spend your $$ else where in FL .
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#49]
These parks have a minimum height requirement for kids to be able to ride certain attractions.  Figure out in advance if the kid will be able to get on the ride.

Better a beach vacation it will cost less and be more relaxing than standing in long lines.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That was MGM Studios which is now Hollywood Studios and one of the 4 parks incorporated into the Disney World Resort atmosphere in and around Orlando.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I guess I really am retarded.  We seen all of Disney World, Universal and Busch Gardens at the time so I guess my mind is muddled.  I don't think Disney owned Star Wars at the time, though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top