BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Having a callsign that is easily searchable and shows your name and home address needs to change.
View Quote

Thanks for answering his own question.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You know that new guy at the range that keeps muzzling everyone with his finger on the trigger, and then calls everyone "range Nazi's!" when he is corrected...  look in the mirror bud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of the current ham community. They’re the most insufferable assholes I’ve ever came across. Any thread about anything ham might make it ten posts before someone has to pipe in and say that something is illegal. Then they go on about how it easy it is to take the test that’s offered every other Tuesday at 7PM that’s 40 miles from your house.

If they need to drop the irrational fear that if someone with a cheap HT transmits without a license  magically every band is going to turn into CB radio.

You know that new guy at the range that keeps muzzling everyone with his finger on the trigger, and then calls everyone "range Nazi's!" when he is corrected...  look in the mirror bud.

Reductio ad absurdum
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because arocking isn't cool.  I have a license, I'm not telling you my callsign on the open forum.
View Quote

Do you understand now that's it's drawn out in crayon?

Any yahoo can listen in for your callsign and look up where you live, some people aren't comfortable with that.

You talk about going to the gun store? Boom your home is a target.

Help the community versus hurting it would be ideal, but until the assholes die off, expect people not to get certified.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because in most cases, it is. Whether you choose to obey the law is your business, but this site has chosen to not allow posts in support of illegal activities. They're trying to not get things shut down. You don't see posts about how to illegally convert a weapon to full auto; why do you think they would allow discussions about how to illegally use a radio?

Again, whether the law is just is immaterial; CoC 4 is pretty clear.

View Quote

That’s exactly my point.

When someone posts a thread asking what’s a good way to CC my pistol do you see multiple posts regarding the legality of carrying a glock?

It turns a lot of people off when you shit all over them for something they weren’t asking or thinking about doing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
HamStudy.org is a good place for test questions. There’s also apps under the same name you can download and practice taking the tests. Worse case scenario you might learn something about radios and how they work if you take the tests.

Download chirp and get a programming cable. It’s pretty simple to figure out how to use.

RepeaterBook and also repeater are downloadable in the App Store. They will show you the closest repeaters, their frequency, offsets, and tones. Program those in your radio and you should be able to hear people if those repeaters are active.

Search online and see if your state has linked repeaters. Some states do and others don’t. If your state does program them via chirp. Do you plans to bug out to another state if SHTF? If so, check that state and add their network and local repeaters as well.

If you really want to know how the comms should work get your license and look up your local ARES/RACES group. Worse case scenario you might meet some like minded individuals that you wouldn’t have otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any yahoo can listen in for your callsign and look up where you live, some people aren't comfortable with that.

Help the community versus hurting it would be ideal, but until the assholes die off, expect people not to get certified.
View Quote

It happened to me. Right after I got my hammer license.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because arocking isn't cool.  I have a license, I'm not telling you my callsign on the open forum.
View Quote

This.

With everything going on, I wouldn’t put it out there either.  
There’s a time and place to swap callsigns and wives.  This isn’t the place for the callsigns
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Reductio ad absurdum
View Quote

I was making a point about arrogantly ignoring rules, aka having bad attitude.  Not literally accusing him of breaking range rules.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you understand what PO boxes are?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I push a button and talk, nothing technical to it from my end.
View Quote

Until something doesn’t work, which is usually at the worst time.  Then having more knowledge than merely pushing the talk button helps.  Do you need to master electronics ? Naw but knowing basics about repeater offsets and how certain bands react helps
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a pair of them for SHTF... figured I would ask some questions and learn a thing or 2. Despite the help from many people here I feel dumber than ever....

My plan now is to toss them in a drawer. When shtf I will pull them out and scream HELP into them. I think it’s a good plan.
View Quote

You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a BaoFeng radio.  Upgraded the antenna.  Got my Technician Class ham radio license.  Programmed the radio with CHIRP.

Have yet to use the radio to  communicate with anyone because I don't feel comfortable making public conversations with total strangers about nerd stuff.
View Quote

Mic shy. You'll get over it.

If you want to I guess.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#13]
TAg for
Future not drunk answers
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

With everything going on, I wouldn’t put it out there either.  
There’s a time and place to swap callsigns and wives.  This isn’t the place for the callsigns
View Quote

I'll swap callsigns, need pics of the, uh, other thing you mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you want to I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a BaoFeng radio.  Upgraded the antenna.  Got my Technician Class ham radio license.  Programmed the radio with CHIRP.

Have yet to use the radio to  communicate with anyone because I don't feel comfortable making public conversations with total strangers about nerd stuff.

If you want to I guess.

Try checking into your local ARES net.  I do so once every couple of months just to check my gear.  It is pretty much name, call sign, and location.  

One advantage to being readily identifiable by your call sign is that it keeps people from acting like assholes.  Compare the anonymity of the Internet, particularly on sites like 4Chan and Reddit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Try checking into your local ARES net.  I do so once every couple of months just to check my gear.  It is pretty much name, call sign, and location.  

One advantage to being readily identifiable by your call sign is that it keeps people from acting like assholes.  Compare the anonymity of the Internet, particularly on sites like 4Chan and Reddit.
View Quote

I do the same and rotate repeaters every so often, and simplex on the mobiles. I went awhile without a PO Box and just got one again. Topics on the Arfcom DMR Talk Group are typical of what you hear on the average repeater but we don't shy away from politics/ guns etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#17]
bfng
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

To comment on this... one, FCC public database does not have phone numbers. Might give consideration to how he got your number and how that impacts the rest of the BS he told you.

Two, what you describe is entirely unlikely anything I've ever heard of before.

Third, some random psycho can pick you out of any public list of people, registered voters, phone book, church directory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also... one thing I recommend is a po box office for the license.  The fcc database is public.

I didnt think it would be a problem because who's going to take the time to look into some random guys ham license.....

Within a few days of getting my license.... I got a long voicemail to my cell phone number from some random ham guy in my area.....

Creeped me out. He wanted me to call him back so he could tell me about this transmission where he heard my new call sign being read from Ontario and it had been passed all the way to Washington where he then looked me up.

I didnt answer him.

He left another message.. seemingly annoyed and confused that I hadn't called him back.

I didn't answer him.

Then I got a Typed letter from him in the mail at my house. Reiterating the voicemail and with the cited transmission transcripts.

Ham guys.

To comment on this... one, FCC public database does not have phone numbers. Might give consideration to how he got your number and how that impacts the rest of the BS he told you.

Two, what you describe is entirely unlikely anything I've ever heard of before.

Third, some random psycho can pick you out of any public list of people, registered voters, phone book, church directory.

There are lots of phone book sites online. I've seen myself listed and have no idea how they got the number. He could have gotten the name from the FCC db and looked up the phone number.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you use radios at work, the Technician level stuff will probably help you.  When I was studying for Tech I was simultaneously a part-time deputy doing patrol in a rural county.  Knowing something about antennas, repeaters, and radio propagation was quite useful.

I ve used a radio at work for the better part of 36 years. I can change the channel, me a phone call on it (using notes I scribbled down), and i can switch over to conventional mode and talk to life flight if the need arises. Thank God it never has.

Thats about as technical as I can get.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This doesn't work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  But two of them could be setup as a crude dual band repeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KrH86Dzhnc

This doesn't work.

Why would it not work? Seems to be working in the video.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The problem with these threads is that by the time you answer all the questions, you could have just read the ham license guide that's already in the ham forum or studied on your own.

I feel like there should be some kind of primer on radio comms that helps get you ready to use radios but not quite ready for ham licensing. Users of free (or easily licensed) services like MURS, GMRS, etc with decent radios would benefit. I'd by happy to start something.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think a series of regional "meet/program parties" would be invaluable... networking in multiple senses of the word.

I'm in the Chattanooga area.
View Quote

Early last year, there was a HAM guy from south Florida, who was trying to organize just as you suggested. He was going to specialize in the Baofengs and help everyone learn how to use them and to program them. He arranged a location in Orlando, and two people signed up to go. He said it wasn't worth his travel time for two guys. Damn, me and a friend were the ones to sign up and we really wanted to go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll swap callsigns, need pics of the, uh, other thing you mentioned.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The problem with these threads is that by the time you answer all the questions, you could have just read the ham license guide that's already in the ham forum or studied on your own.

I feel like there should be some kind of primer on radio comms that helps get you ready to use radios but not quite ready for ham licensing. Users of free (or easily licensed) services like MURS, GMRS, etc with decent radios would benefit. I'd by happy to start something.
View Quote

The people who most need that keep telling us that they don't need to be "hamsplained" to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
These threads are tiresome.  A Baofeng is a cheap hand-talkie that is made for use by amateur radio operators.  There is no other legal use for it.  I don't find them particularly difficult to program from the keypad, but I also have experience programming other HT's, so I can figure it out by analogy.

If you can't be bothered to take a simple multiple choice test and learn some basic information about how radios work, then I suggest you buys some MURS radios.  Motorola makes some nice commercial units designed for use in security and construction businesses.  We use them for my church security team.  They work great and require no technical knowledge to use.  They cost more than a Baofeng, but they are built to take a few knocks and have good batteries.  They are type accepted for MURS, so you are legal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81125Gk-EsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RMM2050
View Quote

Ahhhhhhh  YES.    This guy gets it.    

Those cheapo Chinese Baofang radios are toys.   They may last a year or so and if you really need an actual radio over any period of time you will end up replacing them.   If you want comms for you and your group for SHTF just get a package deal on some decent handhelds that aren't ham radios

You and your neighbors or group of friends within a half a mile are who you should be concerned with.  You aren't going to tap into the Ham N Eggers repeaters unless you want to become a Ham guy as well.

A good package deal of Motorola or other popular commercial radios are a good investment and will last for years and hold up to the weather.   You can use them for hunting or when you are on road trips.  They sell package deals on these better quality radios all over the net. Most of the ones big M makes have vehicle charges as well.

Nothing wrong with being into ham radio.  It's the guys who have this really weird need to push their ham-N-egger BS onto everyone when people mention the word radio.

BTW,  I was driving through Tennessee last night and they have a statewide ham net going on Monday evenings and they don't come off as Ham N eggers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The people who most need that keep telling us that they don't need to be "hamsplained" to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, especially the ones who think they are magically going to be able to use any frequency at their disposal to talk to... people... if "SHTF", with the radio in their drawer with a dead battery and no programming cable, with no radio experience.

But for everyone else, I can see a quick start guide being useful. Not everyone is going to be a ham but everyone should know the basics.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, especially the ones who think they are magically going to be able to use any frequency at their disposal to talk to... people... if "SHTF", with the radio in their drawer with a dead battery and no programming cable, with no radio experience.

But for everyone else, I can see a quick start guide being useful. Not everyone is going to be a ham but everyone should know the basics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta be willing to learn first and most aren't willing to learn. Hence why LMR radios can't be modified from the front panel (for the most part).
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Part of understanding the basics is to help you understand why you can only talk 2 blocks with that HT from inside your car.  It isn't broken, it is just not being used to it's potential.

Think about the bands.  If your wavelength is 2m, which is more likely to be a more efficient antenna.  A tuned mast on the outside of your car (that is either full wave or half wave), or a 1" nub on top of that HT (that is also handing 70cm and 1.25m bands).
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I figured it was time to learn something new. I ordered 1 in the spring..after 3 months nothing arrived so I cried to eBay and the vendor sent another.  A month later 2 8 watts Baofengs arrive.

Charged them up and put them in the closet
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought I needed a BaoFeng UV-5R for the TEOTWAWKI so those of us with the same radios at a gathering or event or (gasp!) firefight with the communists could communicate with each other.  I would have zero desire to do some HAM thing or do repeaters.  But after reading 3/4 of this thread I am not sure I want any part of it now.  Although I can get the BaoFeng, USB cable and microphone for $30 on eBay.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I ve used a radio at work for the better part of 36 years. I can change the channel, me a phone call on it (using notes I scribbled down), and i can switch over to conventional mode and talk to life flight if the need arises. Thank God it never has.

Thats about as technical as I can get.
View Quote

Well I can change the channel depending on who I need (it's just a twist of the knob), but we're not allowed to change any settings for security and safety reasons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Early last year, there was a HAM guy from south Florida, who was trying to organize just as you suggested. He was going to specialize in the Baofengs and help everyone learn how to use them and to program them. He arranged a location in Orlando, and two people signed up to go. He said it wasn't worth his travel time for two guys. Damn, me and a friend were the ones to sign up and we really wanted to go.
View Quote

I wonder if it might be a decent "supplement" for somebody on the gun show circuit?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Rifles have gear queers. Optics have gear queers. Surprise, radios have gear queers. Baofengs are junk. Be poor somewhere else.

Get a ham license and a real radio. Guess what, I don't want or need to get a QSO from halfway around the world.

Ask a question and you'll get two different answers from two licensed guys who took the same test on the same regulations

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rifles have gear queers. Optics have gear queers. Surprise, radios have gear queers. Baofengs are junk. Be poor somewhere else.

Get a ham license and a real radio. Guess what, I don't want or need to get a QSO from halfway around the world.

Ask a question and you'll get two different answers from two licensed guys who took the same test on the same regulations

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Foriginal%2F000%2F029%2F477%2FIt's_All_So_Tiresome.png&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote

I got a real card from my first HF QSO.  Thought it was pretty cool.  I mostly play with digital modes so no surprise the exchanges are all electronic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wonder if it might be a decent "supplement" for somebody on the gun show circuit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is, what would you program them to do?  The only legal thing an unlicensed person can do with a Baofeng is listen.  Even the frequencies you would want to listen on will vary dramatically based on your specific location.  Most localities no longer use VHF or UHF for public safety, so it isn't useful as a scanner.  You can program it to listen to the amateur repeaters, which could be useful if other sources of information are unavailable.  If you were taking money to program Baofengs to transmit on FRS/GMRS/MURS, you might find your self fined by the FCC or charged with criminal conspiracy.

As I posted above, if you want walkie talkies for tactical comms, buy some pre-packaged MURS units and call it good.

ETA:  Here is a pair of Chinese radios, set up for MURS, with speaker mics for $59.

Link

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't matter when you have someone name and general area.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why would it not work? Seems to be working in the video.
View Quote

Try and report back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then use FRS and CB.  Or stick with your cell phone, where everything you do is documented for future consideration.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're really that paranoid about being found, best not key up any transmitter.

If you haven't noticed, radio direction finding is not terribly difficult, and the advent of the cheap 4 channel coherent SDRs to the hobby community puts DOD/FCC level technology well within the grasp of hobbyists and amateurs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you're really that paranoid about being found, best not key up any transmitter.

If you haven't noticed, radio direction finding is not terribly difficult, and the advent of the cheap 4 channel coherent SDRs to the hobby community puts DOD/FCC level technology well within the grasp of hobbyists and amateurs.
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me to order one.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here is a pair of Chinese radios, set up for MURS, with speaker mics for $59.

Link

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71jBixwboZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Foriginal%2F000%2F029%2F477%2FIt's_All_So_Tiresome.png&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote

If your take away from ham radio is it’s about a qso halfway around the world, then you are missing out on a lot.  There’s regional comms as well as long distance.  A QSO will show where all you can reach.  That can be handy information
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Isn't BaoFeng the name of that Chinese spy chick that was giving blowjobs to all the Democrats?  
View Quote

No.  Thats Eric Swalwell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok, I picked up a couple BaoFeng's on this sale and a programming cable, playing around in CHIRP to get them programmed.

Antenna question - General consensus is the stock antennas on the BaoFeng are crap and Nagoya is a good brand to upgrade to.

Any value in getting the Nagoya 771R retractable antenna? Or just go for the 771? Would prefer to not have a giant antenna extended all the time if it's not needed, but I live in a wooded area and may need the range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok, I picked up a couple BaoFeng's on this sale and a programming cable, playing around in CHIRP to get them programmed.

Antenna question - General consensus is the stock antennas on the BaoFeng are crap and Nagoya is a good brand to upgrade to.

Any value in getting the Nagoya 771R retractable antenna? Or just go for the 771? Would prefer to not have a giant antenna extended all the time if it's not needed, but I live in a wooded area and may need the range.
View Quote

Who are you trying to talk to and on what frequency?  How far away, and what is the intervening terrain like?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#48]
is there a Find My baofeng and charger app?  

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can someone help me understand why people are so resistant to getting a license?  I thoroughly enjoyed the process and learned a lot of very useful information.  But both on arfcom and IRL, most people I talk to are high resistant to the idea.  I am talking about people who are prepping for emergencies and want to have communications if the Internet and/or power grid goes down.  Why the resistance?
View Quote

I wish they would just give temporary licenses so folks could get some hands on experience before going all out and getting an actual license. Like when you go to check out a pop-up window appears and says to enter your DL# and contact information for your 90 day license, make sure to upgrade blahblahblah, then check out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who are you trying to talk to and on what frequency?  How far away, and what is the intervening terrain like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other Baofeng's (no home base station yet), GMRS, flat terrain but wooded, ideally up to 2 miles.

I understand that my best bet is to get a home antenna and raised antennas for vehicles/SxS's - but I'm just getting started, so for now, trying to figure out how to best communicate between what I have.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top