User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait, are you saying that someone used a man's severed torso as a shield, advanced towards an enemy line, and killed them all while one-arming a BAR? That actually happened?

idonbelivit.jpg

Is Doss's story inspiring? Sure. Was this a good movie? Hell no.
View Quote
That's exactly where I turned it off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The real story is amazing.

The combat scenes in this movie was like watching live actors acting out an online Call of Duty game.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Smell Gibson makes shit movies. Hacksaw Ridge is like he studied Wind Talkers and used it as his template. I would like to see the moldering undead corpse of Desmond Doss hunt Gibson down and kick him in the balls. That would be an awesome movie.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is what the directors and producers are trying to do with docudrama's they intrigue you to dig deeper about a great American hero and learn something about hin and the unit he served with and what they went through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exactly what disappointed me after seeing the movie in a theater. If I hadn't looked him up I'd have continued to think Okinawa was his only battle.
That is what the directors and producers are trying to do with docudrama's they intrigue you to dig deeper about a great American hero and learn something about hin and the unit he served with and what they went through.
First of all, I don't believe that.  And second--they don't have to.  Many times (such as this instance) the real story is far better than the bullshit story they come up with.  There really isn't any need to embellish or prod you to go look at it more thoroughly (not to say you shouldn't anyway)--the real story is fucking amazing.  As soon as Hollywood gets involved in manipulating the script, you get shit like "black baby Jesus, and racist white Mustang pilots who didn't give a fuck about the bombers" instead of just the actual incredible story of the Tuskegee Airmen.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First of all, I don't believe that.  And second--they don't have to.  Many times (such as this instance) the real story is far better than the bullshit story they come up with.  There really isn't any need to embellish or prod you to go look at it more thoroughly (not to say you shouldn't anyway)--the real story is fucking amazing.
View Quote
You don't have to believe it, no skin off my nose, I actually knew quite a bit about Doss which we learned about in the service.

It is an amazing story, he was a true American hero, with the balls to go with his status.

I have noticed a distinct change in the way movies are made since the internet has evolved and we have so much information available at our fingertips, the producers and directors have got lazy in how they tell a story.  I honestly have not stepped inside a movie theater since Saving Private Ryan came out, I am not paying all that money to see the highlights of a in depth story.

They don't have the time or the money to tell the true life stories of these larger than life personalities, the movie making business is a money making business, if you took the time it would take to tell the complete story of Doss, you would loose your ass and it would probably be a boring film with a few highlights through out it.

As far as believing or not believing, that really does not change a thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Movies are for entertainment, not education.  That said, Battle of Britain and Tora!  Tora!  Tora! are pretty true to history.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Movies are for entertainment, not education.  That said, Battle of Britain and Tora!  Tora!  Tora! are pretty true to history.
View Quote
Great movies, but again, a different era of movie making.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don't have to believe it, no skin off my nose, I actually knew quite a bit about Doss which we learned about in the service.

It is an amazing story, he was a true American hero, with the balls to go with his status.

I have noticed a distinct change in the way movies are made since the internet has evolved and we have so much information available at our fingertips, the producers and directors have got lazy in how they tell a story.  I honestly have not stepped inside a movie theater since Saving Private Ryan came out, I am not paying all that money to see the highlights of a in depth story.

They don't have the time or the money to tell the true life stories of these larger than life personalities, the movie making business is a money making business, if you took the time it would take to tell the complete story of Doss, you would loose your ass and it would probably be a boring film with a few highlights through out it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, I don't believe that.  And second--they don't have to.  Many times (such as this instance) the real story is far better than the bullshit story they come up with.  There really isn't any need to embellish or prod you to go look at it more thoroughly (not to say you shouldn't anyway)--the real story is fucking amazing.

What I'm saying is that I don't believe that Hollywood has the intent of making a movie about a real event, taking away a lot of what actually happened, adding a bunch of stuff that didn't happen, all for the noble cause of trying to encourage you to go look into the event further--not when the true story (not all of it, because as you say, it would be a long boring movie) is so incredible, that if they actually made it more accurate, the movie would be better.  They are trying to make a buck, and push an agenda (IMO).
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What I'm saying is that I don't believe that Hollywood has the intent of making a movie about a real event, taking away a lot of what actually happened, adding a bunch of stuff that didn't happen, all for the noble cause of trying to encourage you to go look into the event further--not when the true story (not all of it, because as you say, it would be a long boring movie) is so incredible, that if they actually made it more accurate, the movie would be better.  They are trying to make a buck, and push an agenda (IMO).
View Quote
Movie makers have been pushing an agenda since the day the first running horse was captured on motion picture film...

Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a good movie, but I didn't say "what the fuck?" out loud like I did while watching Lone Survivor when they did the absolutely disgusting helo pilot scene.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cool connection. I read several many hundred pages here and there about that. The good infantry officers were pissed.
View Quote
Well, I should clarify some. The original Army unit my great uncle was in was composed of "smart" (ASVAB or other determination) recruits that were put into an intelligence unit. He was stationed at the University of Wisconsin, learning how to decipher Japanese code. All of these guys were enlisted; some had some college, but none were college graduates (associates or bachelors degrees). As others in my family told me, MacArthur and Halsey were determined to island-hop all the way to Japan, no matter what the cost. My uncle's intelligence unit was sent to San Diego, and "converted" to infantry upon arrival there or just after embarkation, split up, and assigned to regular units of the 96 ID. I think that all of them had had BASIC infantry training, but very, very little, or none, had had ADVANCED infantry training, which certainly contributed to their casualty rates. My great-uncle was shot in the left shoulder by a sniper, who fortunately aimed a little high. He was evacuated to a hospital ship, the USS Comfort (AH-6), which was later hit by a kamikaze while my great-uncle was aboard. He survived the war, and my mother said he had a nasty scar on his back. My great-uncle later became a college professor, teaching computer sciences. He passed away in 2000.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should feel bad about saying that...it is the only movie that I've walked out of before it was over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Thin Red Line was better.

That's right, I said it.
You should feel bad about saying that...it is the only movie that I've walked out of before it was over.
But he's right!  Thin Red Line was a fucking horrendous shitshow of a movie but it was 87,000x better than Hacksaw Ridge!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it. Yes, Hollywood style overselling, but still a good movie. If for no other reason than that Doss was a real man. To go into that without a gun is just hardcore.
View Quote

Yep, just watching the interviews at the end of the movie was enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The problem I have with this movie is they changed so many irrlelevant aspects of the movie, made up some pretty important parts of the story, and left out some key points of his military service.

For example, he never almost killed his brother, he got married before he enlisted, not after, and the whole court-martial thing was made up.

Key points they left out were he refused a deferment and volunteered for combat (deferment for working at a shipyard) and earned two Bronze Stars with “V” device for his actions on Guam and the Philippines before earning the MOH on Okinawa. He’d already proven he was a badass several times over but the movie made him look like a raw recruit. He was also one of the soldiers who volunteered to climb the ridge to pull those rope ladders up in the first place. They also left out that he lost a lung and five ribs.

I think the movie really did him a disservice.
View Quote
I think you have a couple of things wrong about the movie. Not a big deal, but the movie showed him nearly killing his father, not his brother. During the court martial he told the judge he could have taken the deferment because of his job but didn't as he wanted to serve.

The reality is you only have a certain amount of screen time to tell a story and keep the audience. While it may not have given him all the credit he deserved and may have short changed the man to a degree I think most people walked away understanding that the man committed himself to God and was incredibly brave.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The real Desmond Doss was a true American hero. I hate the word hero how it's used today, but Doss was legit.

The movie Doss had a really punchable face.

I think the whole movie did Desmond Doss a disservice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw enough of that movie to know it sucked.

You could seriously turn it on during the combat scenes near the end and mistakenly think you came across some kind of dark comedy, it was so bad. It was like a 13-year-old saw Saving Private Ryan, then was handed this script and told to direct a movie about Doss.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I made the mistake of reading a biography of Doss prior to seeing the movie.

That made the movie into a disappointing mess.
View Quote
word, the movie was pretty much a joke. Doss deserved better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you ever met the man you would wonder how he could have moved more than a couple of the wounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5TKAJtHTNo
View Quote
Just curious, how many have you moved to safety?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I also hate how Hollywood changes facts to fit their stories. Clearly in the movie it’s portrayed as Doss and his units first action when in reality they had already faught on Guam and Doss received two bronze stars with “V” for his actions there. His actions on Okinawa just solidified what they already knew from their previous engagements, that he would do anything for them.
View Quote
this.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top