User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol

I'm in Texas, there's no such thing as a contractor's license here and we are better for it. You and I agree there.

In states where licensure is required by law, scabs go around doing cheap work for cheap prices and the bad part is that the client has little to no recourse. If you don't like the law, change it. Don't get pissy when people DO work to follow the laws and get fucked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When pro-freedom people are trying to enforce government regulation, it's embarrassing to us all.

So you trust the safety of your home to just anyone that can swing a hammer?

Nope. You see, I'm perfectly capable of selecting who will be best suited to work on my home without the government holding my hand.

If you aren't, then that's on you. Fucking nanny state people.....

lol

I'm in Texas, there's no such thing as a contractor's license here and we are better for it. You and I agree there.

In states where licensure is required by law, scabs go around doing cheap work for cheap prices and the bad part is that the client has little to no recourse. If you don't like the law, change it. Don't get pissy when people DO work to follow the laws and get fucked.

You're the one making the assertion that only the government can tell me who is qualified to do work on my property.

I'm not pissy about people following the law and getting fucked, they are.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
wunbadweel thank you, but it doesn't look like I am going to get my answer on why people do what they do.
View Quote

I'll tell you why. It is a psychological effect called Loss Aversion. It makes people do stupid, short sighted things as well as support stupid, short sighted policies. In another thread a guy talked about how his boss every month would flip his lead at $6K in OT pay in the company, even though he could show that $6K in OT pay brought in much more revenue to cover it.

In this case the guy thought he was out $85 and it was your fault. Insisting on reimbursement despite the loss of long term gains is classic loss aversion. This is one of many Cognitive Biases that lead to poor decision making in most humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If your a legit contractor take his ass to court.

If you are unlicensed, uninsured, and not paying taxes then keep your mouth shut and take your fucking. You had it coming.
View Quote

The handy guys don't like it when we say that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LOL

You know what I'm saying and you agree, but you have to save face by pointing out grammatical errors. Nice.

Sucks to be wrong, doesn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's put it this way: He might be great, but damn sure thinks his work sucks.

You see, I might even require that someone who works on my home be able to string a simple sentence together.

Clearly you are not qualified.

LOL

You know what I'm saying and you agree, but you have to save face by pointing out grammatical errors. Nice.

I was joking with you. Lighten up.

You're still wrong.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck scab ass moonlighters that fuck customers over, don't pay taxes, don't do things properly, disappear on jobs and have no accountability. See how that works?  

(not speaking of OP, just making an example)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

Fuck them with a rusty rake.

This. This right there.
Fuck scab ass moonlighters that fuck customers over, don't pay taxes, don't do things properly, disappear on jobs and have no accountability. See how that works?  

Clearly some arbitrary regulations from the government will prevent that!

MORE REGULATION!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're still wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see, I might even require that someone who works on my home be able to string a simple sentence together.

LOL

You're still wrong.

I added to this post last page, brah. Go back and read.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Much freedom, so wow.

Nothing like embracing the government regulations and crush small businesses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....

Free market economy, how does it work?

Most guys that do it on the side don't usually carry insurance or licensing (if required in the area).

That allows them to do work a lot cheaper.

I'd like to see him post his workers comp certificate.....

You do pay workers comp right OP? Since you have an employee you are required.

I'll hold my breath.

Much freedom, so wow.

Nothing like embracing the government regulations and crush small businesses.

Oh FFS. Some jobs need a license. Maybe tomorrow I'll be a cop. Don't crush my small business, bro. Maybe I'll be better at it than you and charge less. I just don't have the badge or POST. So what??
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

This. This right there.

Right, I see where you are coming from.  Still, government regulation isn't going to stop that.  I don't want to live in this world where every little thing is regulated, categorized, examined, and ultimately in hock to government bureaucrats.  The .gov giving a company the green-light to operate guarantees nothing outside of the fact that all of the appropriate payoffs have happened.

There is no panacea.  Caveat emptor should be the reigning line of thought in all transactions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even the best of friends can't agree on everything!

If I were to make my point without being a dick like I have done this entire thread though, would be this:

The free market has already solved the issue of "who is qualified" in a number of markets.

IT workers have certifications, mechanics have ASE, etc, etc. Insurance and bonding, along with workers benefits should be something the customer requires or something that is agreed upon by the employee and employer. Hell, maybe I don't need workman's comp insurance because I'm covered under my wife's plan.

We don't need the gooberment to tell us who's good and who's not.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh FFS. Some jobs need a license. Maybe tomorrow I'll be a cop. Don't crush my small business, bro. Maybe I'll be better at it than you and charge less. I just don't have the badge or POST. So what??
View Quote

What does anything you just said have to do with this thread?

Do you have any idea the bullshit someone has to go through just to get a plumber in their house in many places in this country?

As an example, check out what it takes to have a bathroom remodeled in NJ.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Right, I see where you are coming from.  Still, government regulation isn't going to stop that.  I don't want to live in this world where every little thing is regulated, categorized, examined, and ultimately in hock to government bureaucrats.  The .gov giving a company the green-light to operate guarantees nothing outside of the fact that all of the appropriate payoffs have happened.

There is no panacea.  Caveat emptor should be the reigning line of thought in all transactions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. This right there.

New roof from the lowest, unlicensed bidder is leaking? Or falls in and crushes your baby's crib while the family is out to dinner?

Sorry guy, caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I were to make my point without being a dick like I have done this entire thread though, would be this:

The free market has already solved the issue of "who is qualified" in a number of markets.

IT workers have certifications, mechanics have ASE, etc, etc. Insurance and bonding, along with workers benefits should be something the customer requires or something that is agreed upon by the employee and employer. Hell, maybe I don't need workman's comp insurance because I'm covered under my wife's plan.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant! Well said!

Sadly we have many of those things in this country.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
......but so many people hide behind the church.
View Quote

Welcome to the Club!
At my church the Deacon sold me a stolen pistol, and he KNEW it was stolen!!!!
I was shocked when the Police called me because it was a setup!.....Yes, the Deacon of my church set me up in a sting!
But the tables got turned on that "Man of God"......and he took the fall!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You and I don't agree often.

When pro-freedom people are trying to enforce government regulation, it's embarrassing to us all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a funny feeling the guys changing the subject are the ones who call a week late, show up 4 hours late and remove load bearing walls...

Post up your GC license, workers comp cert, insurance, and bonding and I will mail you the money for a 12pk of beer. I have done this for many arfcommers when I have eaten crow. If you want you can email me privately, I will PM you my personal email address.

If I am wrong I will apologize and pay up.

Forget my submission, above, that you should be ashamed.
The Site should be at this point, though.

You and I don't agree often.

Horse shit. I have laws that regulate my trade. I follow them. Contractors license, business license, insurance, accountant, payroll company, and so on.

I feel strongly that others who do my job need to play by the same rules. Period. Fuck the scabs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

New roof from the lowest, unlicensed bidder is leaking? Or falls in and crushes your baby's crib while the family is out to dinner?

View Quote

Licensing isn't going to stop shoddy work. It's just going to make it more expensive.

We have civil and criminal courts to deal with these matters, and we were born with enough intelligence to call references and request work history. Heck man, we can even hire an independent inspector to validate the job if we want!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oops, I guess you should have done your homework.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Horse shit. I have laws that regulate my trade. I follow them. Contractors license, business license, insurance, accountant, payroll company, and so on.

I feel strongly that others who do my job need to play by the same rules. Period. Fuck the scabs.
View Quote

So, you're embracing government regulation.

It's a personal choice. One I disagree with.

Pretty simple there buddy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I'm not going throw a dart at the phone book, and neither should you!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the deal, OP.

That $85 was the cost of getting him out of your life for good. He won't come around again when he knows he owes you money, and it's 1 less dirtbag in your life. Boom.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Perhaps more should be done to educate clients on quality/certifications of those bidding the jobs instead of requiring licenses to do the work. It puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the industry in question and not the government. I'm cool with that.

Unfortunately, some states do have requirements and hoops and licenses and until the requirements for licensure are removed (the ultimate goal), the unlicensed, uninsured contractors can't get permits for work and the clients have no recourse if shit goes sour.

I use this phrase daily, either in conversation or just in my own head.

"You get what you pay for." And at the end of the day, it transcends licensing or certificates or anything else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree. Perhaps more should be done to educate clients on quality/certifications of those bidding the jobs instead of requiring licenses to do the work. It puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the industry in question and not the government. I'm cool with that.

Unfortunately, some states do have requirements and hoops and licenses and until the requirements for licensure are removed (the ultimate goal), the unlicensed, uninsured contractors can't get permits for work and the clients have no recourse if shit goes sour.

"You get what you pay for." And at the end of the day, it transcends licensing or certificates or anything else.
View Quote

I do think the 'scabs' need to play by the same rules as everyone else. I just don't like the rules.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Try this on for size, please.

I have one tool I carry, every day, wherever I go. I actually earn my living with this tool, by teaching others in it's use. I can carry it most places without offending anyone, here where I live.

No State, City or County licensure is necessary for me to possess, use or own this tool. I know others who carry this tool as well, and I suspect they're not as proficient with it as I am, but I refuse to dwell upon that as an issue when it comes down to their right to carry and use it.

Because, see...that tool is a 1911.

Anybody need to see me licensed, in case I do work with it that you don't see as professional enough to meet your standards? Ever met somebody with all kinds of NRA certifications that couldn't hit dirt with their gun if they fell off a spring-tooth plow? Ever hear of LE that are really poor marksmen? Should I have to register and carry special insurance because it's a tool I use?

See how this works?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, what you've posted is reasonable.  I don't disagree there.

I'm just squabbling about the idea that everything has to be checked with .gov.  Having everything licensed and monitored is the definition of an IRS/.gov police state, at least to me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with you and in a perfect world this is the way things would be, but it is not that way and we have rules to live by, not living by those rules puts you at an advantage over those that do follow the rules.

For those of us who do play by the rules it makes feeding our families that much harder.

You can't seem to grasp that, in fact you seem to shun those that follow the rules.

Shame on you, not me.

If you disagree with the current rules then act to change them, don't call out those that do.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree with you and in a perfect world this is the way things would be, but it is not that way and we have rules to live by, not living by those rules puts you at an advantage over those that do follow the rules.

For those of us who do play by the rules it makes feeding our families that much harder.

You can't seem to grasp that, in fact you seem to shun those that follow the rules.

Shame on you, not me.

If you disagree with the current rules then act to change them, don't call out those that do.  

Nope, you got me all wrong.

I'm not shunning those that follow the rules.

I'm also not shitting on the guy who fixes his neighbor's toilet for $50.

Hell man, I fixed my church's laptop last week. I realize I should have gotten insured, bonded and licensed before I did that, but *GASP*, I did it anyway.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sorry to hurt your feelz, but don't come whining like a little bitch when I quote what you said.

I'm capitalist as fuck lil' homie, you don't know me. You don't know me. At ALL.

Now go whine somewhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Observer I'm sorry...  Does your work suck so bad you can't find a job.  I'm sorry capitalism offends you.  Maybe Obambi can send you a phone...

Sorry to hurt your feelz, but don't come whining like a little bitch when I quote what you said.

I'm capitalist as fuck lil' homie, you don't know me. You don't know me. At ALL.

Now go whine somewhere else.
LOL! Are fucking serious with this shit?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I am fully legit. To be legit, I man'd up and paid my dues. I got the FUCK over it and am in compliance. Why bag on me for following the rules that govern my trade?? It's cool to bitch and whine against the machine, yes, I know. Grow up and recognize there are rules some people need to follow. Like I said, maybe I'll just be a cop on the side. No badge, no training.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Been in construction for 30+ years, done my fair share of side work.

Here's what I don't get:

Why would you work for significantly less that other contractors? Particularly if your work is above par compared to others?

DISCLAIMER: ASSUMING that the term "undercutting" is implying that OP is doing jobs several hundred dollars (or more) cheaper, for example.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes. I am fully legit. To be legit, I man'd up and paid my dues. I got the FUCK over it and am in compliance. Why bag on me for following the rules that govern my trade?? It's cool to bitch and whine against the machine, yes, I know. Grow up and recognize there are rules some people need to follow. Like I said, maybe I'll just be a cop on the side. No badge, no training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here's what I don't get:

Why would you work for significantly less that other contractors? Particularly if your work is above par compared to others?

DISCLAIMER: ASSUMING that the term "undercutting" is implying that OP is doing jobs several hundred dollars (or more) cheaper, for example.
View Quote

If he can still make a profit, why not? Hell man, I do some work as a hobby. I don't even need to a profit, or even charge them at all!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had my eye on this thread from the beginning

It didn't disappoint
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If he can still make a profit, why not? Hell man, I do some work as a hobby. I don't even need to a profit, or even charge them at all!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what I don't get:

What was that about making a proper sentence? I guess I won't hire you!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've had my eye on this thread from the beginning

It didn't disappoint
View Quote

At this point I'm holding a steak on my eye with one hand and eating popcorn with the other.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what I don't get:

Point taken.  ;)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what I don't get:

Lighten up dude. I don't think we were ever in danger of working with each other.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....
View Quote

Undercutting others in business isn't screwing anyone over.

It's being competitive.  

First post failed it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View Quote

Fixing his car/ timing belt install...??? or just general maintenance/oil change...???
What he do, drain tranny oil then had know idea where to refill transmission, he should have called you before he called the mechanic.. when you made the long story short you made it to short, left out a few key details on how this gay dispute happened.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm willing to bet that what you've taught him would have cost a hell of a lot more than a jacked up oil change.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not embracing it. Hes legally required to do these things. I have a family member that owns a business with three employees. It costs a small fortune in taxes, unemployment, workers comp, ins, etc.  it's all required by law for him to run a legitimate business.

It sucks but unfortunately we live in a society full of laws. The ones running with no liscense, and paying people under the table are on borrowed time. Eventually they will have a customer you can't make happy, who turns them in and sues. and then likely get royally screwed.

I agree the less laws the better, but that's just not how it is. A few side jobs are fine, but if he's really making 50-75k uninsured and unlicensed, he's asking for it. He may be licensed, but he hasn't answered that question yet I don't think.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking lol!

I was wondering wtf he was trying to say for a min. I just gave up and assumed he was retarded.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He's not embracing it. Hes legally required to do these things. I have a family member that owns a business with three employees. It costs a small fortune in taxes, unemployment, workers comp, ins, etc.  it's all required by law for him to run a legitimate business.

It sucks but unfortunately we live in a society full of laws. The ones running with no liscense, and paying people under the table are on borrowed time. Eventually they will have a customer you can't make happy, who turns them in and sues. and then likely get royally screwed.

I agree the less laws the better, but that's just not how it is. A few side jobs are fine, but if he's really making 50-75k uninsured and unlicensed, he's asking for it. He may be licensed, but he hasn't answered that question yet I don't think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think he can answer it anymore.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He won't be answering. At least not for a while. He jumped the shark a little bit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Hang fire
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you trust the safety of your home to just anyone that can swing a hammer?

Nope. You see, I'm perfectly capable of selecting who will be best suited to work on my home without the government holding my hand.

If you aren't, then that's on you. Fucking nanny state people.....

lol

Well, OP never said whether he was licensed or not but he did say that he had to pull permits for his work. Do you have to be licensed to get permits?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fucking lol!  

I was wondering wtf he was trying to say for a min. I just gave up and assumed he was retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking lol!  

Ironically I made an equally retarded post somewhat later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Met a guy a couple years ago who called me when he lost his job.  I do IT by trade but have had an on again off again remodeling business.  I do really well with it and get a lot of business from work (aka IT)and I am great at it.  Plus I don't need the cash and like working with my hands so I can undercut a lot of people.  So I take this kid and teach him a trade.  He goes from making $350 a week to $750-900.  Then the POS screws me for $85 bucks.  What is wrong with people other than really bad math $85>900????  Worst part is this kid goes to church so he tries to say he is a good guy because he does.  I believe in God, but so many people hide behind the church.
View Quote

So you should be able to afford a membership.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Yepper, we are suppose to live by the law and the lawmakers are above the law.. just saying
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. This right there.

Too late for you man. Arfcom says you have to be licensed by the .gov, pay for permits, provide health ins. and retirement for your 1 helper or else you can't hang some drywall and finish it.

If you fucking paint it...
Page / 8
Top Top