Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/6/2019 9:48:47 AM EDT
Or, more specifically, help me pick a breed. Then we'll go and let him pick out the actually puppy. A few of the local options are in the poll, but if there's another breed I should be looking for shout it out. It would have to be a midsized dog, no large Rots or Sheppard's, and definitely no tiny Chihuahuas or Pugs.

Edit: He's almost 9, and I have a 3yo as well. I think the Havanese might be on the small side.

And no, I do not bird hunt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
How old is your son?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
In Texas, do you bird hunt?

If yes, obvious answer would be a Labrador Retriever or a German Shorthair Pointer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old is your son?
View Quote
Edited, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]
IBTP.

But I would suggest looking at a Jack Russell Terrier, a Dachshund, or a Beagle.  All are very devoted, active and smart.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Boxer
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Blue heeler is a fine choice
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You would do well to read up on the breeds for desired traits.

This gives an overview:  AKC
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get a beagle unless you intend to hunt it.

They are pricks.

YapYap dogs are also assholes, but at least they adjust well to house life.

If you don't need a working breed, easy mode on dogs is any kind of mutt that is at least half lab will be a cake walk, labs are like the cheat mode of dog training.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Blue heelers have a lot of personality but they are smart and not always the best with strangers. They're on the upper end of intelligence but not generally recommended for first time owners. It helps for them to have a job. I had one. He was intelligent and wily if that makes sense, but standoffish with everyone. He was never affectionate unless it was to take attention from another dog. He was somewhat dog aggressive even among the dogs he grew up with. Very unusual dog in a lot of ways and even as a puppy he wasn't much for handling and would rather sit alone and observed. He wasn't necessarily representative of the breed, I think he just had dog autism.

Beagles are good dogs and of your choices would be my pick. But they are very loud, not very trainable, and will dig holes and chase things if they get loose. Beagles are possessed with a wanderlust unparalleled by any other. Beagles are considered (unfairly imo) a dumber breed because they're not easily trained. I think they just don't give a fuck, all they want to do is eat, bark, dig, and chase. I had beagles growing up and they were awesome dogs but I had tons of land for them to do those things on. A lot of people pick them because they are without a doubt the cutest puppies. Nothing even comes close.

Have you checked out Australian shepherds? Sort of splits the difference between blue heelers are border collies; friendlier to strangers (I assume your son has friends after all), and still very smart and can easily be taught tricks and trained. Very driven but also personable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Labrador retriever
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Beagle is the one true answer.  The boy will never have a better friend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Edited, sorry.
View Quote
No problem If you don't want to post it.

I only asked due to activity level of dogs that might be suggested
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Pick a dog you want for your needs OP.

It's going to be your dog, not the kid's, you're the boss of the house so the dog is going to bond to you the strongest.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In Texas, do you bird hunt?

If yes, obvious answer would be a Labrador Retriever or a German Shorthair Pointer.
View Quote
No big dog. Suggests 2 big breeds

Brittany is a 30-40lb dog that is easily trained family dog and a good do-it-all hunting dog.

And with 2 kids those ages, it will get plenty of exercise
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If you can handle it, a German Shepard Dog is one of the best dogs known to man. I had two when I was a small boy. Best dogs alive in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hounds are a bad choice for a house dog if you aren't hunting them, the first 5-6 years of their life they are extremely high energy and hard headed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
My grand sons have a chocolate lab and a beagle. The lab loves a good scratching and likes to go on adventures. Usually by himself. The beagle is always loveable and stays with the boys. Oreo ( beagles name ) will follow them or ride in the gator everywhere. Great little dog. The lab is a goofball.

I should have added as someone above mentioned. The boys and son in law rabbit hunt so a beagle fits nicely. Recently they added a squirrel dog and this little guy is a handful.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't get a beagle unless you intend to hunt it.

They are pricks.

YapYap dogs are also assholes, but at least they adjust well to house life.

If you don't need a working breed, easy mode on dogs is any kind of mutt that is at least half lab will be a cake walk, labs are like the cheat mode of dog training.
View Quote
Beagles are great hunters and can be trained to hunt any game on the planet but you're right they can be pricks
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I grew up with a lab and a GSD. Wouldn't have traded them for the world.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you can handle it, a German Shepard Dog is one of the best dogs known to man. I had two when I was a small boy. Best dogs alive in my opinion.
View Quote
I've never met one I trusted, I'm sure they are good for whatever family they belong to, but they always seem like they are ready to chew on your ass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's going to be your dog, not the kid's, you're the boss of the house so the dog is going to bond to you the strongest.
View Quote
I’m going with most of this.

Also, there are easier breeds for pets (if that’s what itsprimary function will be, rather than being hunted over) out there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
belgian malinois
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
If the OP has the time but it's a demanding breed
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Texas?  Blue Lacy!
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
GSD is the only breed as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#26]
A rescued dog or cat is the best companion you'll ever have; they know what you did for them...
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hounds are a bad choice for a house dog if you aren't hunting them, the first 5-6 years of their life they are extremely high energy and hard headed.
View Quote
That's fair.  I've had the noisy little bastards my whole life, and wouldn't change it for anything though.  Electronic collars seem to make the training process much more effective.

However, there will never be a safe garbage can in the vicinity of the hound.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Also, there are easier breeds for pets (if that’s what itsprimary function will be, rather than being hunted over) out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My next dog is going to be a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, I love hunting with my lab, but he has no sense of guard duty when at the house, he's too friendly to strangers.

If I only wanted a pet and had no intentions of working it I would go with a mutt (that didn't have any pit in it) any day of the week.

One of the best dogs we had at the farm was a half hound half lab, he didn't wander, was highly intelligent, and extremely friendly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#29]
May I suggest a Shetland Sheepdog?  Otherwise knows as Shelties

They are great, loving family dogs.

Some are good at obedience and Rally, others are better at warming the sofa  

ETA: A Video for your enjoyment

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#30]
weiner dog
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's fair.  I've had the noisy little bastards my whole life, and wouldn't change it for anything though.  Electronic collars seem to make the training process much more effective.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can all be great dogs, but they require so  much work. Not a great choice for a first time owner, there is a reason so many people have them and they behave terribly, too much work to get them straightened  out.

All we ever had was working coon hounds growing up. When I bought my black lab I thought he was broken, I didn't even have to train him, he picked up everything from the old dog, and when it came to field training his desire to please actually caught me off guard, I was used to the hound dog fighting authority every step of the way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A rescued dog or cat is the best companion you'll ever have; they know what you did for them...
View Quote
Not everyone wants a pitbull.

My recommendation for the OP would be a cocker spaniel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beagles like to wander......they are hounds.....always following their noses.  That can be a PITA.  Get a pack animal.  GSD would be my pick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Boxer
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Second vote for a Brittany.  They are great dogs.  Easy to train, good around kids.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Australian Shepard would be a great option. Also consider just going to a shelter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#37]
When my son was 8 I took him to a breeders home who had a litter of 8wk old GSD. My son walked around the 10x10 kennel and one of the runts followed him. I was looking at the larger dogs but my son picked the runt that fixated on him. That was the best dog my son spent many hours with that dog outside. Razor died while he was away at college one fall at 12. BTW he grew into a huge 100 lb family protector. The dog had strong ball drive
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Some questions:

1. How much time do you have to devote to grooming, training, and exercising the dog? I know you have kids, but a lot of the responsibility will fall on you.

2. How much noise can you deal with? Some dogs are quiet, but some are yappy and some howl. A lot.

3. How obedient do you want it to be? Some dogs are quick learners and are very biddable. Some are very intelligent but really could not care less about doing as they’re told.

4. What is your budget? You can cheap out, but quality isn’t usually cheap.

5. Is there anything beyond being a child’s companion that you want the dog to do? Hiking, alerting to intruders, rat patrol, obedience or agility work, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Boston Terrier
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No big dog. Suggests 2 big breeds

Brittany is a 30-40lb dog that is easily trained family dog and a good do-it-all hunting dog.

And with 2 kids those ages, it will get plenty of exercise
View Quote
Add a Springer spaniel to that list. We had a Brittany and a Springer at the same time. The Britt was wound really tight thinner boned and lighter than the Springer he was stocky, SUPER loyal and loving. Honestly one of the best dogs I've ever had and I've had some great dogs
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
This...
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Get a mutt that needs a home.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Boxer
View Quote
This. Great child/family dogs. High energy for a little while but great dogs overall
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

5. Is there anything beyond being a child’s companion that you want the dog to do? Hiking, alerting to intruders, rat patrol, obedience or agility work, etc.
View Quote
I've gotten flak more than once in GD for suggesting not getting a working breed unless you plan on working it.

Seems silly to get a GSD if you don't want it to patrol, or a bird dog if you don't  hunt birds.

Most people just want a companion dog, and that's fine, but a cheap mutt is usually the best for that, they tend to be extremely even tempered and usually have fewer late life issues. The few mutts we had the farm weren't good at much other than being friendly, but they lived forever and never had any health problems.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#45]
English Golden Retriever, he never leaves my side and is very protective. I love him to death he is also pretty calm and obedient.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#47]
What does the kid want ?

I hate to be a downer but " Kids first dog ? " BIG negative on the blue heeler .
Great breed but not for a first time owner,  unless you plan on getting professional training to help you overcome the breeds unique traits.  Love them but they are notorious for being a real working breed with all the instincts involved in herding.

If the kid wants that Heeler and the family is truly committed to taking the kid/dog to obedience classes would be the only way I would think of it.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
English Golden Retriever, he never leaves my side and is very protective. I love him to death he is also pretty calm and obedient.
View Quote
They are the most laid back dogs I've ever seen. I know a few people that have them, and new a few people when I was a kid that had them.

They sleep like 18 hours a day and just stockpile their toys into neat piles.

I was thinking of getting one for waterfowl, but they are a little too laid back.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm no expert on dog breeds, but when my daughter was old enough for her own I wanted one that was loyal, gentle, and extremely patient.

We found that in a Lab

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#50]
You get a good heeler you will never have a more loyal loving or better dog.

But he will need to put the effort in. You will need to be consistent with training and exercise.

Yes I’m biased

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top