User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@somaliskinnypirate

Feral hogs have to work hard to eat. Farm hogs just lay around and get all the food they want. Feral hogs are tough motherfuckers, because they have to be. Unless they find an abundant and constant food source they are very lean. That's why many people will trap them and feed them out. Around here we trap them and sell them to a buyer who sells them to a corporation. Last I heard they were shipped live to Scandinavia and processed for human consumption.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this issue either

Edit: sounds like they are defective and don't have bacon..are they too lean? Ribs? Taste like shit? What's the issue?
(Excuse the ignorance, I go to the grocery store )

@somaliskinnypirate

Feral hogs have to work hard to eat. Farm hogs just lay around and get all the food they want. Feral hogs are tough motherfuckers, because they have to be. Unless they find an abundant and constant food source they are very lean. That's why many people will trap them and feed them out. Around here we trap them and sell them to a buyer who sells them to a corporation. Last I heard they were shipped live to Scandinavia and processed for human consumption.

My brother makes pretty good beer money trapping pigs. Sells them to a middleman who takes them to a slaughter house outside San Antonio that feeds them out, processes them and ships the meat to Europe.

He doesn't have to pay anyone to set traps on their property because he isn't an asshole who expects free shit. Most of the people he traps for are actually his customers from his full time job and are more than happy to have someone help them with the pig problem.

As far as hunting them, I have several places I can shoot all that I want and not pay a dime. But I've put time into getting to know the owners and help them when needed. I don't understand the mindset most seem to have here where they expect to hunt pigs for free.

Most hunters and even alot of the arfcomers I've met are horrible shooters.

Why would any rancher put their livelihood on the line just so some random jack ass can show up and kill their livestock while trying to shoot a running pig?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My brother makes pretty good beer money trapping pigs. Sells them to a middleman who takes them to a slaughter house outside San Antonio that feeds them out, processes them and ships the meat to Europe.

He doesn't have to pay anyone to set traps on their property because he isn't an asshole who expects free shit. Most of the people he traps for are actually his customers from his full time job and are more than happy to have someone help them with the pig problem.

As far as hunting them, I have several places I can shoot all that I want and not pay a dime. But I've put time into getting to know the owners and help them when needed. I don't understand the mindset most seem to have here where they expect to hunt pigs for free.

Most hunters and even alot of the arfcomers I've met are horrible shooters.

Why would any rancher put their livelihood on the line just so some random jack ass can show up and kill their livestock while trying to shoot a running pig?
View Quote

I've never seen a more correct post. TPNI
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nah, the damage isn't too bad unless you want to pay $500 a day to hunt plus $100 trophy fee for anything over 75 pounds.

THEN he'll let you help him with his dire hog damage problem.
View Quote

Just don’t cross at the corners of his property.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Farmers charge hunters because they can. It has almost nothing to do with risk of damage caused by hunters. It’s just simply because economic situation allows for it because there are people willing to pay.

It’s the same reason why colleges and hospital visits are expensive. Because there are entities (government backed student loans and insurance companies) that can pay the high prices, so that allows them to charge that price. Anyone remember the cost of coolers before Yeti existed. Once the industry realized that people were willing to spend hundreds of dollars for a cooler that doesn’t cost much more to produce, suddenly the cost of all coolers increased.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nah, the damage isn't too bad unless you want to pay $500 a day to hunt plus $100 trophy fee for anything over 75 pounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he’s in north Texas I can help him out

This.

OP,
what kind of “ranch”? horse ranch or cattle ranch?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The problem is that hunters aren’t taking care of anything. You aren’t going to solve the problem with recreational hunting. Some people may sell hunts under that guise, but it’s not the actual case.

People sell hunts because there are people willing to pay for hunts. It really is that simple.

If someone actually wants to get rid of hogs, it’s  trickier than just letting hordes of dumbasses stomp around on your land shooting hogs.   Not to mention that’s just trading one headache for a much bigger one.

I for one enjoy having them, even though they do cause damage, and am more than willing to take people I trust hunting for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait a sec farmers with feral hog problems try to CHARGE the hunters for the privilege to take care of the farmers feral hog problem?How fucked it that? Is it a normal thing to do this?

Can I charge my exterminator for the privilege to come take care of the ants in my yard now too?

Do people actually pay good money for the privilege to do this with a $75 100lb fee? this can't be true can it?  Thats so fucked. On 20 levels that's so fucked.  I would tell those farmers to pound sand.

It's one thing to go to a stocked shooting preserve where all they do is hunt, I understand paying for the privilege to hunt there. But pest control for a farmer who's currently losing crops each night and has the AUDACITY to try and charge money for for someone to fix his problem for him?  Holy shit the balls on that dude....

Hey I have a privacy fence that's falling apart. Would anyone here like to PAY ME for the privilege to come and fix it for me? I will not even charge you a $75 fee. Just the basic $500 a day fee....

Holy shit that's so fucked....

The problem is that hunters aren’t taking care of anything. You aren’t going to solve the problem with recreational hunting. Some people may sell hunts under that guise, but it’s not the actual case.

People sell hunts because there are people willing to pay for hunts. It really is that simple.

If someone actually wants to get rid of hogs, it’s  trickier than just letting hordes of dumbasses stomp around on your land shooting hogs.   Not to mention that’s just trading one headache for a much bigger one.

I for one enjoy having them, even though they do cause damage, and am more than willing to take people I trust hunting for free.

In this instance the problem is protecting 1700’ of “road” until it fully cures?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why am I going to do extra favors just to do a rancher a favor already?

I'm the one with  the expertise, equipment and will to be out all night and help him out. I'm not doing extra shit lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hogs are less of a problem than hunters are.  If you want to hunt, either put some sweat equity into a rancher's land like he did or pay to play.

Stop with the lie that you are actually doing some guy a favor, you are not.

I hunt outside of Rock Springs.  Year round.  All the critters I want to kill.  Know how that happened?  I found a rancher, signed a contract for a hunting lease and work his fences for him as he's getting to old to do it himself. $1500 per family member on a three year lease. I go up there around once a month.

Contrary to popular GD BS,  Ranchers are no evil,  rich land barons trying to keep you from playtime.

I'm the one with  the expertise, equipment and will to be out all night and help him out. I'm not doing extra shit lol

He's mostly right on this one.  Really he's only wrong about hunting not helping - it usually doesn't help, but it can if it's done right, enough, and with the right situation.  Any way the point about helping him with his land first is to give him a chance to get to know and trust you, demonstrate that you can responsibly work the land and that you're not a destructive shithead, and to let him feel some confidence in you.  Taking care of the land is his responsibility.  No rancher with any sense wants to trade a moderate normal problem for a big particular problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
For some reason when I made that post I thought this thread was only one page.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just remember this, sport….YOU aren’t doing the rancher/farmer ANY favors.

You can’t kill enough of the hogs to make a dent in the problem. Your attitude is the reason landowners want to charge you to hunt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's cheaper than bacon and pork ribs that's for sure!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ammunition isn't that expensive is it?

It's cheaper than bacon and pork ribs that's for sure!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.

OP,
what kind of “ranch”? horse ranch or cattle ranch?
View Quote

Cattle. He's quite capable of killing hogs himself.

When I posted this I thought people mind be interested in the fact that they are ripping up roads.

It just goes to prove there are some loose tools here that it quickly went to how shitty ranchers are.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think it depends on what they're eating.

I killed a sow near Macon, GA that had been eating oats. It was pretty much the same as store bought pork. (dude charged $50/hog, no charge if you didn't shoot anything).

I went out with a couple of arfcommers near Wichita falls and we killed a bunch in a few different fields and I took the loins from a bunch of them and they were all delicious. They hung out in the pastures with cattle, so I assume they were eating mostly grass or other vegetation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll add to that, the meat isn't worth the effort at all. Even trapping them and putting them on feed for a few months doesn't do much more than clean out the parasites.

Only twice I've paid for killing them, in insurance deductibles both times were it was probably >150 pounds. I see 5 to 20 of them fuckers every night on federal land driving home from work.

Quoted:

I’d have to agree. They can be okay if you get a good one and treat it right, but it’s still just “meh”. The whole “they’re delicious!” Thing is horseshit. They are nothing close to a domestic meat pig.

I think it depends on what they're eating.

I killed a sow near Macon, GA that had been eating oats. It was pretty much the same as store bought pork. (dude charged $50/hog, no charge if you didn't shoot anything).

I went out with a couple of arfcommers near Wichita falls and we killed a bunch in a few different fields and I took the loins from a bunch of them and they were all delicious. They hung out in the pastures with cattle, so I assume they were eating mostly grass or other vegetation.

I grew up eating deer from farm country in NW Ohio. All were pretty much grain fed. Awesome meat.

A friend of mine when I was in Socal hunted pretty regularly. He had me over to try some deer meat from one he shot in the mountains. I couldn't stand the taste. I'll stick with grain fed any day of the week...

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't get it. What's their attraction to tar or oil?
View Quote

Hogs are pretty smart. It didn't take them long to learn that oil-based products make great insecticide. You should see what they do to fresh utility poles in some of the river bottom country. You can tell how big the hogs are by how high they have mud rubbed into the poles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just remember this, sport….YOU aren’t doing the rancher/farmer ANY favors.

You can’t kill enough of the hogs to make a dent in the problem. Your attitude is the reason landowners want to charge you to hunt.
View Quote

I make a good enough dent that some ranchers ask me to come out. So there's that.

There are also ranchers who know as well, yet want to charge me still. To them i laugh as they complain at the local water hole about how bad the hogs are tearing up their land. Yet they want to charge absurd amount of money to help them out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not so much that.

Years ago there used to be farmers crying on TV about hog problems "the pig bomb" was what they called it.

I think it was natural for people to think "hmmm they have a problem made of pork and I like pork, maybe they'll let me shoot some."

What happened was it got popular and then people started paying for it. Now the pigs are a problem and a product that can make money.

Unfortunately, I think the places that actually want the pigs gone do best by strictly regulating the killing of the pigs, otherwise people were trapping and relocating pigs to be able to get in on the business.

Tldr, don't cry about the pigs if you make money off of them.(I don't think I've heard much from people crying about them lately. Maybe it's just a holdover from years ago)
View Quote

I get to shoot hogs on some of the property that was featured on “Pig Bomb”, for free too.

I’m not interested in trying to eat another feral hog, they taste just like they smell. I leave them laying, the buzzards gotta eat too, same as the worms. I have seen a few that even the buzzards wouldn’t eat.

Shooting/hunting them won’t eliminate the population but, it can thin the herd and can get them out of the fields for a while. At least around here, topography is different in different areas so that may not be the case everywhere. Here, there’s places they can go where you simply can’t get them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I get to shoot hogs on some of the property that was featured on “Pig Bomb”, for free too.

I’m not interested in trying to eat another feral hog, they taste just like they smell. I leave them laying, the buzzards gotta eat too, same as the worms. I have seen a few that even the buzzards wouldn’t eat.

Shooting/hunting them won’t eliminate the population but, it can thin the herd and can get them out of the fields for a while. At least around here, topography is different in different areas so that may not be the case everywhere. Here, there’s places they can go where you simply can’t get them.
View Quote

I think a lot of casual "I'll come shoot your pigs" people don't realize how fast they can reproduce and how resilient and versatile they are.

Feral hogs are probably living the peak porcine life. They can eat pretty much anything and live pretty much everywhere and they reproduce like crazy.

They're out living their best pig life, they just don't know they're assholes about it. Lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think a lot of casual "I'll come shoot your pigs" people don't realize how fast they can reproduce and how resilient and versatile they are.

Feral hogs are probably living the peak porcine life. They can eat pretty much anything and live pretty much everywhere and they reproduce like crazy.

They're out living their best pig life, they just don't know they're assholes about it. Lol
View Quote

They do live the good life, eating and making little ones is about all they do.
There’s enough guys around here with night vision blasting away at every one they see that the overall population seems to have gone down some over the last few years, they’re still here and causing damage but not as bad as they were 10 years ago. We’ll probably never get them all though.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top