Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Debt collector bought your debt.  It’s no longer your debt to pay.  Your gtg.  I learned that on Tik Tok.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is a violation of the FDCPA for a debt collector to make threats or pretend to be a law enforcement agency, threaten you with jail time or arrest etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a call one day from a person with an accent that I could barely understand, making not nice threats. I had no fucking clue what they were talking about.

It is a violation of the FDCPA for a debt collector to make threats or pretend to be a law enforcement agency, threaten you with jail time or arrest etc.

This is true, OP if any collector threatens you with arrest, pretends to be law enforcement, threatens to sue you but has no intentions to do so, is racist towards you, or cusses you out. If any of these things happen then you need to sue.

I recommend that you read the key points of the FDCPA and the new Reg F, these 2 laws are meant to protect you OP. If the collector texts you with out prior consent, you need to sue for that because that’s illegal.

Your best move is to hope the collector messes up and to sue, once this happens you will be labeled as a “litigatious debtor”, most collection agencies won’t call you and that will lower the amount of money they can sell your account for. This also speeds up the process of them selling your debt off to the next collector. Like I said before if this debt is passed off to multiple agency’s then your chances of being sued go down. Being a LDA will help you.

I will continue to be active in this thread throughout the day OP and assist where I can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They can't take your shit but they can sue you, get a judgement then place a lien on your house and pursue other assets.
View Quote

This is true in Florida for sure. The lifeflight helicopters always beat the Hospitals. They file a lien on your house first before you even land. It only comes off if they get the cash. A nurse I work with paid in full for her husbands ride and had to lawyer up because they wouldn’t remove the lien from years ago. She couldn’t sell her house. What a headache.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Pay your bills and get insurance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Correct. You want some screwed up advice? If you ever go to the ER, give them fake information. I have customers who did this. Guy was a gang banger in chicago when he was a teen, got shot in leg, went to hospital and gave them fake info...... never paid a cent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, the guy next to you, is likely welfare scum whose treatment is being paid for by your tax dollars.  It is truly a fucked up system.

Correct. You want some screwed up advice? If you ever go to the ER, give them fake information. I have customers who did this. Guy was a gang banger in chicago when he was a teen, got shot in leg, went to hospital and gave them fake info...... never paid a cent.

People who have been victims of identity theft get bills too. The fucked up part is when the victim goes to the hospital and the criminal changed all their medical history. They get the wrong meds or has wrong allergy list from the updated visit and gets hurt or killed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another reason you don't give a hospital or healthcare provider your SS#
View Quote
Just say "No hablo ingles. Soy uno turisto de Mexico"

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have no advice, but that's insane.  

Sorry you have to deal with this.
View Quote

Same. I'm going to shoot every animal I see from now on.

Also
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
OP below are a few links that have some good info regard FDCPA and Reg F.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/rules-policy/regulations/1006/2021-11-30/

https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules/fair-debt-collection-practices-act-text

I haven’t read through all of these, but they appear to have the information needed. They might over lap a bit. Again what you need to do is send a CND and validation letter ASAP like today (use the link on page 1). The top left half on page 1 of that template is for you to provide your mailing address btw. Expect them to call you within the next week, if they call you before the letter is delivered thats ok. You need to say “I have sent you a letter on xyz date to validate this account, you are not allowed to call myself, family, friends, and my place of work. Consider this a cease and desist. All communication must be done via mail. Have a wonderful day, bye.”
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules/fair-debt-collection-practices-act-text

I haven’t read through all of these, but they appear to have the information needed. They might over lap a bit. Again what you need to do is send a CND and validation letter ASAP like today (use the link on page 1). The top left half on page 1 of that template is for you to provide your mailing address btw. Expect them to call you within the next week, if they call you before the letter is delivered thats ok. You need to say “I have sent you a letter on xyz date to validate this account, you are not allowed to call myself, family, friends, and my place of work. Consider this a cease and desist. All communication must be done via mail. Have a wonderful day, bye.”
View Quote

I am getting ready for work. Bringing the letter with me.

I will send out the letters today after work.

Thanks for your help my man.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem happy to help, sorry to keep pushing the letter. It’s just a very important step, it also shows the collector you’re not a fool. Best of luck, you have any questions just reach out.

Edit: don’t forget to send it via CERTIFIED SIGNATURE REQUIRED mail. You want proof it was delivered and signed for. Mail the letter to the mailing address on the letter they sent you. That letter is required by law to provide you with a mailing address.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The consequences if the dog was rabid = death
View Quote

4.5 million dog bites reported last year and 5 people died from rabies, likely from wild animals.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tell them to suck your balls
View Quote

FpNI. It’s the easiest, most straightforward way of addressing their bs shenanigans.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The debt collection agency bought your debt on good faith that it was a legitimate past due bill. IF I remember correctly, as I went thru this a long time ago, if there are fraudulent charges on the bill, the debt collection agency can either remove and settle for a lesser amount or kick it back to the hospital for false charges.

Firstly, if you do not have a breakdown of the service(s) that the hospital provided (IE itemized), that's the first thing I'd get ahold of. I would get this in person at the hospital. Actually, demand a paper copy and wait for it.

Secondly, get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Hospital billing is one of the few things I will say is truly deceptive and abusive and most of them deserve to get fucked.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#16]
My mom (no insurance either) broke her hip and spent three nights in the hospital.  Since she was indigent they came after my brother and I for the $130,000 bill.  They negotiated down to 19k which we paid out of our pockets.  What a sorry state of affairs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You got bit by someones little dog and went to the hospital.

Hospital is to get your heart pumping again.

It's not like it was a racoon stumbling around, missing half it's hair and frothing from the mouth.

I got bit all the time riding my bike as a kid from neighborhood dogs.

Hospitals suck, sorry you couldn't pass the ridiculous bill on to the dog owner.

Um, rabies is 100% fatal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like it was a racoon stumbling around, missing half it's hair and frothing from the mouth.

Hospitals suck, sorry you couldn't pass the ridiculous bill on to the dog owner.

0% of the time from domestic dog bites.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol really?  You going to run that risk?  Dying from rabies is way down on my list of preferred ways to go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
These guys that hang out on street corners and end up getting shot and hauled to the hospital for lord knows how much in $$$.  You think that they sweat the bills?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He has a house. He won't get medicaid. If he has any savings, even 500.00, he won't get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The price you're quoting is likely for the drug alone. That doesn't count the labor costs, overhead and other supplies. The debt collection likely bought that debt for pennies on the dollar and the longer it goes they will likely be willing to accept less. Why not offer to settle for $10,000? Did you not qualify for Medicaid since you didn't have health insurance?

He has a house. He won't get medicaid. If he has any savings, even 500.00, he won't get it.

Wrong. Medicaid is only income based now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Morale of this story is to use the ER to get the bites treated,  and the county health dept for the vaccines.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Collection agency can do that?  OP didn’t do business with them
View Quote

If you look at the language of any contract between yourself and a business, you will see a clause that says "XYZ company, its successors and assigns".  The collection agency becomes the 'assign' if it buys the debt.

Similarly, if you have a loan with LittleBank, inc and they get bought out by BigBank, Ltd, your loan doesn't vanish - it becomes the property of and due to BigBank.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you look at the language of any contract between yourself and a business, you will see a class that says "XYZ company, its successors and assigns".  The collection agency becomes the 'assign' if it buys the debt.

Similarly, if you have a loan with LittleBank, inc and they get bought out by BigBank, Ltd, your loan doesn't vanish - it becomes the property of and due to BigBank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collection agency can do that?  OP didn’t do business with them

If you look at the language of any contract between yourself and a business, you will see a class that says "XYZ company, its successors and assigns".  The collection agency becomes the 'assign' if it buys the debt.

This is correct, this is also where validation comes in. OP should get paperwork from the collector proving that they have the right to collect. They need to show the paperwork OP signed that states they can legally collect on this account. You would be surprised how often this key paperwork is missing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#26]
that sucks
I got the shots and IIRC it was like 7k -paid by insurance

the fact that they are coming after you only shows that they think you have $$$ and care about being honest.
the pay-zero fuckbags using the ER for a scratch are the ones driving up the prices
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#28]
All unleashed dogs should be shot on sight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Not trying to scare you OP but I'll share my story:

This was 10+ years ago.
My ex wife racked up a bunch of medical debt I didn't know anything about.

Ex wife was in a similar situation as you as she paid a few bills to the hospital and thought it was the end of it.

Nope, larger bills poured in. She still hid it from me.
It was sold to a debt collection agency.

They found out we had a house, took us to court and won the judgement against us which ultimately was a lien on our house.

We divorced and when the house was sold the debt collection company got their money.

Sucked for me as when they won the judgement the lien on the house hurt my credit for a few years and obviously I had to basically split that debt with my ex wife when the house was sold.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not trying to scare you OP but I'll share my story:

This was 10+ years ago.
My ex wife racked up a bunch of medical debt I didn't know anything about.

Ex wife was in a similar situation as you as she paid a few bills to the hospital and though it was the end of it.

Nope, larger bills poured in. She still hid it from me.
It was sold to a debt collection agency.

They found out we had a house, took us to court and won the judgement against us which ultimately was a lien on our house.

We divorced and when the house was sold the debt collection company got their money.

Sucked for me as when they won the judgement the lien on the house hurt my credit for a few years and obviously I had to basically split that debt with my ex wife when the house was sold.
View Quote

This can happen but it’s on a state by state basis, OP needs to check his state laws. It had to be ALOT of money for them to go that far. We rarely sue anyone where I work, it’s usually for 100k plus. Then again my experience is the consumer collection side not medical.

I did successfully sue a collector for a small 2.5k medical bill. Got it forever off my wife’s credit and a settlement of 750 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow, it's way cheaper to shoot the dog.
View Quote

Doesn't know the dog or owner.  I'd come in with the dog's head for testing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is shown in the detailed charges from the hospital?  Is most of that cost allocated to the emergency room?

I wonder whether the collection agencies get those details.  Not that they'll care, it's just business.

View Quote

Since rabies in humans is rare, I bet there were 20 or more "doctors" who walked in looked at the chart for 10 seconds, left and billed $500 each for an examination/visit.  The medical field billing/charges are a total scam.

I have nearly always had insurance,  even is the coverage isn't great you normally only owe the hospital what the insurance company allows.  Example, I had Blue Cross on the cheapest plan. No office visits, labs were covered but I only paid what Blue Cross paid for the visit.

It was normal to have a bill come in for my annual bloodwork from Labcorp for $300=+.   Blue Cross would send me their allowed payments for services and I owed somewhere in the $50 range.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Since rabies in humans is rare, I bet there were 20 or more "doctors" who walked in looked at the chart for 10 seconds, left and billed $500 each for an examination/visit.  The medical field billing/charges are a total scam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is shown in the detailed charges from the hospital?  Is most of that cost allocated to the emergency room?

I wonder whether the collection agencies get those details.  Not that they'll care, it's just business.

This is correct. This is also why OP and everyone for that matter MUST validate the debt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#34]
"For my well being I elect to get rabies vaccines"

Im confused. Did the physician insist on rabies treatment or was it an option that you chose?

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Im confused. Did the physician insist on rabies treatment or was it an option that you chose?

View Quote

Your physician can insist on anything but it's up to you to accept or refuse the treatment.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine wasn't a dog bite
Raccoon that was sick tangled with my dog and I tangled with the raccoon .

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Your physician can insist on anything but it's up to you to accept or refuse the treatment.
View Quote
Oh I know. But exactly how it went down is important.

Was the doctor like "You really need to get the rabies shot we're gonna go ahead and get that set up right now" versus the OP going. "I'm really nervous about rabies and I want a rabies shot."  
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh I know. But exactly how it went down is important.

Was the doctor like "You really need to get the rabies shot we're gonna go ahead and get that set up right now" versus the OP going. "I'm really nervous about rabies and I want a rabies shot."  
View Quote
I was always told that when a dog bites and the victim seeks medical care, if proof of the dog having had the rabies vaccine is not available, rabies shots are incoming.  This is because rabies is nearly 100% fatal, there is a short window to administer the shots in and the animal may not yet be presenting symptoms.  This is why the rabies vaccine and the accompanying papers are so important for a pet owner.  It saves the dog from being put down to be tested (the only way) and you paying someone else's expensive shot bills.

I am sure that you can certainly decide for yourself to roll the dice and opt out, but that it's going to be the recommended path of care because by the time a human starts presenting symptoms, it's too late.  So in the event of unknown, the only safe path is to error on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#39]
It sounds like one shy bought the other shy's note.
How much vig are they squeezing you for?
You know, how many points a week?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I ended up at the ER in the middle of the night with the first kidney stone I ever had.  They gave me pain medicine, did urine and blood work, performed a CT scan and sent me home with prescriptions for Flomax, Zofran and Toradol.  They subsequently sent me a bill for $7k.

Back in January I had a kidney stone.  I got pain medicine, urine and blood work, a CT scan and sent home with prescriptions for Flomax, Zofran and Toradol.  But instead of going to the ER, I toughed it out until the urgent care opened the next morning.  Since my deductible had just reset I had to approve the charges and pay the bill while there.  

The $475 bill.  Going through the ER was 15x the cost for the exact same procedures and treatment.  The hospital likely doesn't give one fuck that you found other places that give the rabies treatment for a fraction of the cost they billed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#41]
The surgeon general has nothing to do with this. You need your states attorney general's office.
And check with your homeowners insurance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the real problem is the lack of transparency in medical billing.

I would have never suspected it would cost $40,000 for a rabies series.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think the real problem is the lack of transparency in medical billing.

I would have never suspected it would cost $40,000 for a rabies series.
View Quote

This is the problem, NOT OP seeking reasonable treatment
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I ended up at the ER in the middle of the night with the first kidney stone I ever had.  They gave me pain medicine, did urine and blood work, performed a CT scan and sent me home with prescriptions for Flomax, Zofran and Toradol.  They subsequently sent me a bill for $7k.

Back in January I had a kidney stone.  I got pain medicine, urine and blood work, a CT scan and sent home with prescriptions for Flomax, Zofran and Toradol.  But instead of going to the ER, I toughed it out until the urgent care opened the next morning.  Since my deductible had just reset I had to approve the charges and pay the bill while there.  

The $475 bill.  Going through the ER was 15x the cost for the exact same procedures and treatment.  The hospital likely doesn't give one fuck that you found other places that give the rabies treatment for a fraction of the cost they billed.
View Quote
My sister had to have her gallbladder removed a few months ago.  There was some complication and the hospital she was at couldn't handle it, so they transfered her to a hospital that could.

The bills are rolling in she said her insurance is refusing to pay anything from the second hospital because their words (She was in two hospitals at once and they aren't double paying).  She has explained to them several times that it's impossible for her to be in two hospitals at the same time....that she was transferred to the second hospital, by the first hospital.  That she didn't ask for this to happen, the hospital decided it needed to.  They haven't payed out and it's still an ongoing thing she is trying to fight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#45]
**SNIP**

-For my well being I elect to get rabies vaccines
(The key part here is your decision)

-Only place I am aware of who administers rabies treatment is hosptail
OK, awareness is one thing but you should call your PCP (Primary Care Physician), or call the Phone # on the back of your insurance card to talk to a "nurse advisor".  If you don't have a PCP, or insurance (as denoted below), unless you are dying you don't go to the emergency room, emergency room is for pending death.  You schedule a visit.  If things are bad, but you aren't dying, go to urgent care.

-Go to ER day after bite occurred
This is not an emergency.  At worst this is urgent (i.e. urgent care).  But you should have scheduled a visit with your hospital, not walk in the ER.

-I did not have health insurance
Normally no big deal, but this has consequences I'll outline below in detail.

-Doctor administers rabies immunoglobulin around bite area
-Nurse administers rabies shot and tetanus shot
-Process takes about 45 minutes (Wait in ER room was probably 3 hours)
-Over course of next few weeks I am given 3 additional shots by nurses via outpatient center in different part of hospital (takes about 20 minutes per visit)
I'm not a doctor, so I can't comment on the care provided, only the revenue cycle/billing issues you are experiencing.

-Month or so after all of this, bill arives in the amount of 1000 and some change, they reduce it to 900 and change since I paid in full via credit card
This is likely the Hospital charge for the use of the ER.  This probably didn't include any of the actual care you received.

-Several months later out of the blue I am floored when a second bill arrives, totaling $34,000
This is probably the care given, and I'm guessing the lion's share of the bill is the cost of the vaccine.  THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE INSURANCE.  Not directly for paying the bill, but because insurance companies negotiate this shit.  I guarantee you that BCBS, UHG, Aetna, Cigna do not pay this.  I know for a FACT that Medicare/Medicaid doesn't pay this.

- I immediately contact billing department, talk to employee, they tell me all they can do is offer me monthly payments of $1200 per month
Not a bad idea but the proposed solution is unimaginative.

-I ask about settling for a lump sum, she gives me fax number, I fax over an offer
I like this play, good on you.

-Hospital never replies regarding offer
Need to badger them

-I contact billing department, ask them for itemized bill, and later ask them to audit bills to confirm amounts
Post the items if you want some review done, I'd be glad to

-I inform billing department that average cost for this treatment is $3000-$7000 , why TF are they charging me so much
I'm pretty sure this is "medicare reimbursement rate" and IS DEFINATELY what you should be paying.  As to "why" they are charging so much, I made a post about 5-6y ago that is several pages long explaining the history as to why we got to this place.  But the jist is that all payers negotiate, nobody pays the hospital rate, except those people without insurance.  The main benefit of having insurance is you get those lawyers negotiating on your behalf.

-Second bill eventually arrives, for additional $10,000
-Billing department says bill is correct, "thats how much they charge."
Yea, they gave you the line level unadjusted charge from thier charge master.

-I file complaint with Illinois Surgeon General Office
-I create thread in GD asking for help
-Overwhelming number of members here advise not paying them a cent, they cannot collect on anything, I am being ripped off, etc.
-3 months go by and I hear nothing from hospital , or Surgeon General Office
-Get random email from woman at hospital stating she wanted to discuss settling my accounts last week (3/23)
-I call and talk to her, they would accept $25,0000 to settle my $43,000 in debt
-I explain to lady average cost for this treatment is $3000-$7000, and ill " think about it."
This is where you missed your last real opportunity to press your case.  You should have asked to talk to a financial advisor.  They work for the hospital and could work on those non-contractual adjustments to the account.

-Today (3/21/2023) I receive a random unmarked letter, inside is a letter from a debt collection agency, claiming my balance is $49,000 , but I owe them $34,000
Well shit bro, it left the Hospital's hands.  Now you have no negotiation capabilites with this agency.  They generally have no capability to negotiate beyond the $34k they quoted you.  But you can go back to the Hospital and request to speak to a financial advisor (some places call them financial councilers).  Advocate for paying in full the "Medicare/Medicaid Reimbursement Amount".  They might be able to get a non-contractual adjustment approved for that.  But you won't make any headway with the agency.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Debt collector bought your debt.  It’s no longer your debt to pay.  Your gtg.  I learned that on Tik Tok.
View Quote

It's still his debt but it's already hit collections and made it's impact on ops credit. Credit score will improve a bit if it's paid but it barely matters at this point unless op needs a loan for something.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^No offense, but this is not related to the medical industry.  

This is a bastardization or missuse of the term "collector" or "collection agency" in healthcare and how the rest of the world uses those terms.  Generally in healthcare you have several "collection agencies" that are just basically contract employees working for the hospital that only do one thing: collect money.  This isn't like a credit card that gets written off and goes to a traditional debt collector that purchased your debt.  

You almost always get 4 levels of "collections" on a healthcare bill:
1. "Collections" from the hospital - actual hospital employees that are just trying to get money in the door, they call themselves "collections", "collectors", whatever when they are just an employee for the hospital.
2. "Collections" from a vendor - sometimes they call themselves "early out", "self pay", or other specific collectors who are vendors who just supply non-hospital employees that specialize in getting money in the door from people who pay without insurance.
3. "Bad Debt" from a vendor (or hospital) - Somewhere in the 120-210d mark after the first bill, with no payment, your account will go into a status called "Bad Debt" where they have more forceful vendors who collect money.  This is still a bill on the hospital books though and isn't written off.
4. "Debt Collector" - this is almost always 1y+ after the final bill date, after all other methods have failed, they write the $$ off their books and now it's someone who has bought the debt for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My mom (no insurance either) broke her hip and spent three nights in the hospital.  Since she was indigent they came after my brother and I for the $130,000 bill.  They negotiated down to 19k which we paid out of our pockets.  What a sorry state of affairs.
View Quote

There is the rub.   I have Medicare and a $20,000 emergency room bill was paid about $1,000 by Medicate and my trivial co-pay.

The same percentage for your case might be $2200 or so.  Not sure about the shots though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Contact a TV station for a segment on the news
View Quote

This is good advice
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

^^No offense, but this is not related to the medical industry.  

This is a bastardization or missuse of the term "collector" or "collection agency" in healthcare and how the rest of the world uses those terms.  Generally in healthcare you have several "collection agencies" that are just basically contract employees working for the hospital that only do one thing: collect money.  This isn't like a credit card that gets written off and goes to a traditional debt collector that purchased your debt.  

View Quote
In my story which I am sure you will catch up to reading, my medical bill was absolutely sent to a general debt collector which was unrelated specifically to health care or the hospital in which the debt was created.

I asked for their company name and it was also provided on the letter which I requested which verified the debt. I googled the company.  It was a debt collection agency which simply purchased delinquent debt and tried to collect a profit on it.  There were all manner of reviews (complaints of course) from people talking about said company which they were in collections with, about owed money on vehicle loans, credit cards, health care, home repair/improvement loans, etc.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top