[#1]
Mark as troll, from the start.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mark as troll, from the start.
View Quote

It’s quite clear he wasn’t really looking to learn, just complain that it’s not 1994 anymore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Up to $35 an hour max,  fair promotions.  One guy started at $13  and within a year was at $25 because he learned so much so fast.  *EDIT*  10 years ago ,not a seniority based job.

5 paid sick days per year after 90 days

3 weeks vacation + 5 PTO after 1 year
4 weeks after 15 years

I company I worked for paid that 18 years ago....
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I appreciate the insight that is drool worthy.  I have many .gov local friends and just so you know, .gov whether FED, STATE or LOCAL is not the litmus test, it's an outlier.  Private industry is not paying anything near what any gov is in most cases.

When my company not welding, does work for state government the employee make 2 times what they make normally as mandated by the gov.

I have a friend who works at a water treatment plant run by a city.  They literally play poker all day and work for 1 hour.  He sends poke hands all day on FB, which would get your fired so fast in private industry.  They tried, but the union saved him. His benefits are drool worthy and he makes $34 an hour.  If you work in private industry you don't even ask city people what they make unless you're trying to convince yourself to jump ship to a city job.
View Quote

When your company is not welding??

I thought it was your wife's company.

If the place you work for also hires Welders, then why don't you compare what your company pays welders to what your wife's pays?

And you never answered my previous question, and now someone else asked it and not answered. Why is HR or Payroll not doing national and state pay comparisons? Why is a company making changes to pay scale and benefits on a Saturday night on the information from an employee's spouse asking a random message board??

Link Posted: 10/31/2021 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I appreciate the insight that is drool worthy.  I have many .gov local friends and just so you know, .gov whether FED, STATE or LOCAL is not the litmus test, it's an outlier.  Private industry is not paying anything near what any gov is in most cases.

When my company not welding, does work for state government the employee make 2 times what they make normally as mandated by the gov.

I have a friend who works at a water treatment plant run by a city.  They literally play poker all day and work for 1 hour.  He sends poke hands all day on FB, which would get your fired so fast in private industry.  They tried, but the union saved him. His benefits are drool worthy and he makes $34 an hour.  If you work in private industry you don't even ask city people what they make unless you're trying to convince yourself to jump ship to a city job.
View Quote

Private sector doesn't pay anywhere near what .Gov does?   You are a special one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Last time I welded anything for pay was some aluminum bus panels, $225 an hour was the going rate and that was 15 or 20 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's this thing called overtime that you salaried workers may not be familiar with.
View Quote

I love it when people try to sell overtime as some kind of employee benefit. It's so fucking silly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
* it.
Snip

They can’t find a soul who’s qualified
.  Welder / fitters in Ohio must be making bank everywhere else.

*UPDATE*
Thank you to those who provided insight.
Wife texting with boss and they're going to raise wages 20% across the board and expand per diem.  Gonna look at the rest this week.  

Many families and future employees will benefit from your insight.

To the whining Commies who cried for 7 pages, No thanks.
View Quote

That little gem right there. I've been through this as a job seeker ten~ years ago. They are being to picky.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I love it when people try to sell overtime as some kind of employee benefit. It's so fucking silly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's this thing called overtime that you salaried workers may not be familiar with.

Especially when it's mandatory like the guy with the Fed Ex job thread.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I can tell you why as a welder whose getting 17.25 with all those same bennies.

I and everyone else who gets paid around the same as I am know were being underpaid and were not happy about it and I work in a shop. I wouldn't step foot in a truck to weld offsite for less then 35 to start.

The cost of living is lower where I live which is the only reason I have stayed the 6 months I have been where I'm at. I learned fast and now I'm doing stuff guys who have been there years can't do. I can also tell you this, when I go for my review I'm not settling for less then the 2.00 raise, plus the % inflation rate this year I was robbed of.

Rig or offsite welders are not going to come for 35 an hour period. I know most of the qualified applicants that have tested in laugh at the offer that's made to them by my company. Instead they are hiring at 15-17 an hour starting, a bunch of fresh out of school kids who can't weld worth a fuck, don't show up and have no interest in learning shit. They can't read prints, don't know how to fit at all and frankly need a lot of hand holding.

They are also loosing guys who have welded there for 3-5 years because they are pissed when some new guy who can't do shit is starting at the same thing they make, and no efforts to increase comp have been made.

I can tell you this. When minimum wage kicks up to 15 the trades are going to be savaged. Right now one kid on 3rd is making about 1.75 more then a sheetz (gas station) cashier and is doing 10x the work during his 8 hour day.

If they don't want to pay the reasonable increase I request then I'll stay long enough to land at the next shop thats willing to pay what I want. And if they balk at increasing my pay to match inflation with a raise, or new hires with less experience get paid more, then I'll keep it trucking to the next place. And if I find that no one wants to pay for good work, then I'll hang my hood and go back to school and get out of this grind permanently.

Eventually companies are going to realize that you can't offer the skilled worker 2000's era wages and expect them to stay. It won't work anymore.

Here's some of my work if you think I'm being cocky or whatever.

18g

Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wolvey, I have a rule to never even give someone over 25 who makes less than $16.50 the time of day.  You tricked me with $33 (IN WA) and I've now violated this longstanding rule.  I'm sorry but I can't speak to a middle aged adult who makes $16.50 per hour for any advice whatsoever.  

Good bye my friend, may we only ever talk firearms and hatred of the left in the future.
View Quote

You just lost whatever is your argument.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially when it's mandatory OT..............

When you start to see that crop up where you work, you just need to understand your management are totally incompetent and are ''peter principal'' level that will never change.

I'd work until 65 [I do like my job most days] save for on call and we are so short we can't even fill 2 months a year of it now. And we HAVE to have on call because of state requirements. It is a 100% upper management failure and none of them will take any blame for their incompetence. 30+ years of on call will totally destroy your REM sleep for the rest of your life guaranteed.

I'm gone at 62 when the company stops dumping into my pension [maxes out at 61] and I will qualify for early SS. Between early SS and the pension, I shouldn't even have to touch my other $$$$ for at least a decade unless inflation stays where it is now and I'll have enough monthly income to do what I would like to do.

And kiddies, divorce WILL set back your retirement dates, 2 even more. Always remember that your retirement is HER retirement too. [or his for the gals though that is far less common]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

I had one job where the plant manager said that he wasn't going to give rate increases that year because the company was so busy that my whole department had been working 5 to 10 hours of OT every week. He said that the OT counted as a rate increase.  

We all found other employment within 6 months of that. The company ended up in bankruptcy. All the guys that I worked with are now making twice as much money and are much happier.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can tell you why as a welder whose getting 17.25 with all those same bennies.

I and everyone else who gets paid around the same as I am know were being underpaid and were not happy about it and I work in a shop. I wouldn't step foot in a truck to weld offsite for less then 35 to start.

The cost of living is lower where I live which is the only reason I have stayed the 6 months I have been where I'm at. I learned fast and now I'm doing stuff guys who have been there years can't do. I can also tell you this, when I go for my review I'm not settling for less then the 2.00 raise, plus the % inflation rate this year I was robbed of.

Rig or offsite welders are not going to come for 35 an hour period. I know most of the qualified applicants that have tested in laugh at the offer that's made to them by my company. Instead they are hiring at 15-17 an hour starting, a bunch of fresh out of school kids who can't weld worth a fuck, don't show up and have no interest in learning shit. They can't read prints, don't know how to fit at all and frankly need a lot of hand holding.

They are also loosing guys who have welded there for 3-5 years because they are pissed when some new guy who can't do shit is starting at the same thing they make, and no efforts to increase comp have been made.

I can tell you this. When minimum wage kicks up to 15 the trades are going to be savaged. Right now one kid on 3rd is making about 1.75 more then a sheetz (gas station) cashier and is doing 10x the work during his 8 hour day.

If they don't want to pay the reasonable increase I request then I'll stay long enough to land at the next shop thats willing to pay what I want. And if they balk at increasing my pay to match inflation with a raise, or new hires with less experience get paid more, then I'll keep it trucking to the next place. And if I find that no one wants to pay for good work, then I'll hang my hood and go back to school and get out of this grind permanently.

Eventually companies are going to realize that you can't offer the skilled worker 2000's era wages and expect them to stay. It won't work anymore.

Here's some of my work if you think I'm being cocky or whatever.

https://i.imgflip.com/5rf1k3.jpg

18g
https://i.imgflip.com/5hjf08.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/5j0dbg.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/5ni21j.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/5ni2dm.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/5ni2rz.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/5rf00y.jpg
View Quote
amazing
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]
My teenage son is wanting to go into the trades, after reading the GD posts and looking at US averages of trade workers I really hope he follows in my footsteps and gets a job with uncle sugar when he is young.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had one job where the plant manager said that he wasn't going to give rate increases that year because the company was so busy that my whole department had been working 5 to 10 hours of OT every week. He said that the OT counted as a rate increase.  

We all found other employment within 6 months of that. The company ended up in bankruptcy. All the guys that I worked with are now making twice as much money and are much happier.
View Quote

Ah, the old ''penny wise, pound foolish'' management style. Amazing how many of those exist in the business world.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My fucking old computer in the basement makes more per hour mining crypto than you make per hour Mr. $18.15.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's quite clear he wasn't really looking to learn, just complain that it's not 1994 anymore.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not food, but definitely something that comes into contact with people.  Little stricter than food.
View Quote

They're paying pharma equipment welders $35/hr and still have employees?  Mind blown.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I'm salaried but the technicians are hourly. One time I traveled with one and found out that he was paid from when he left his house until he was in the hotel.  He got overtime for sitting in an airplane to fly half way around the world while I got shit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So... I'd rather you give me 2k to buy what I need and be forced to pay for all my tools vs.  everything you need from transportation to tools and all consumables is paid for buy the company and whatever tools you need you will get, and get exactly what you want, but you have to buy workboots and hand tools.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'd much rather just tell some dude welder's on the fritz and walk and get new one.  Uniform's torn, get a new one.  Vehicles making news, get a new one.  Outta tungsten, here's some more.  I'll take that $100 "benefit" on top of that no questions too.
View Quote

There is NO WAY it is THIS easy. ‘Everything you need’ is determined by the guy paying for it and telling to boss ‘welder is on the fritz’ every week and your truck makes enough noise to get a NEW one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I am willing to do it for 65$ per hour.

When can I start?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I hear “there’s all the OT you could want!” I translate that too “we’re constantly short staffed so everyone has to work a LOT more than 40 hours a week”.

However, OT during surges is nice.  I’m a sajatird employee, and I’m compensated for any significant time over 40.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Good to see this thread went the typical direction.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

It is amazing how tone deaf even Fortune 100 companies are.
Back in the 90's my company was hiring people off the street at 2-3
dollars more per hour than some of the 5-10 year employees that
hadn't maxed the pay scale yet.

The screaming at upper management was pretty fucking epic during
workgroup meetings.

It's even better when management doubles down and threatens employees
for talking about how much they make. LOL...heck today with the internet
it takes like 30 seconds to find a post from an employee stating exactly
how they make per hour and how much they work per year....

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OT isn’t a benefit no matter how it’s wrapped. It’s like saying “Hey, you can save a buck by digging your own grave”.

ETA: I want to do as little as possible while making as much as possible. The more I do, the more I want. Just like “you, you, and you”.

ETAx2: I’m not there to make your company money. I’m there to make me money. The fact I make “you” money is why “you” keep paying me to come back.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top