Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About 8 bucks.  Who uses cash these days?
View Quote
Came to post this.  Damn OP are you like, 40 years old?
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Came to post this.  Damn OP are you like, 40 years old?
View Quote
You're off by more than 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I was sort of being serious about $1.48. I have one $1.00 bill, and a handful of change. I don't keep cash on hand anymore. I used to keep $500-$1000 in my wallet and front pocket, but I have done that since the late 90s.

I have a checkbook, a couple of credit cards, and a debit card. Everybody here takes my checks. If I need to get fast cash and can't get to the bank, there are are a couple of stores here that I can and have written checks out to cash, for between $500-$1000 and they'll cash them. I have a couple of individuals that I am friends with that will do the same for me.

Any drastic emergency that would require me to have a lot of cash on hand that cash on hand would actually be usable would be a slowly developing thing.

Just about the only thing that would be so fast and drastic as to preclude me from getting my hands on my money would be a nuclear attack. If that's the case, cash won't matter.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Less than $20
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Perfect timing: I just walked in from the bank, got a concrete guy coming Monday, cash only. So, on my person I have $8200, and in my stash I have around $600.

No, I'm not saying where I live
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was sort of being serious about $1.48. I have one $1.00 bill, and a handful of change. I don't keep cash on hand anymore. I used to keep $500-$1000 in my wallet and front pocket, but I have done that since the late 90s.

I have a checkbook, a couple of credit cards, and a debit card. Everybody here takes my checks. If I need to get fast cash and can't get to the bank, there are are a couple of stores here that I can and have written checks out to cash, for between $500-$1000 and they'll cash them. I have a couple of individuals that I am friends with that will do the same for me.

Any drastic emergency that would require me to have a lot of cash on hand that cash on hand would actually be usable would be a slowly developing thing.

Just about the only thing that would be so fast and drastic as to preclude me from getting my hands on my money would be a nuclear attack. If that's the case, cash won't matter.
View Quote
You are in hurricane country.  Standing in line at the bank trying to get cash before leaving town is a giant waste of precious time.

Every place worth living has potential natural hazards.  Earthquake, fire, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, riots.  Also, if you have Ready Cash you can make some really good deals: "Sure, I'll give you $500 for that mint Python!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Perfect timing: I just walked in from the bank, got a concrete guy coming Monday, cash only. So, on my person I have $8200, and in my stash I have around $600.

View Quote
Not asking.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not talking about that on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
At the moment? $1k or so at home. Another $5k if I go to the bank.

If I used credit card advances and open lines of credit? Maybe $25k.

If I sold my PM I have on hand, including stashes? That’s another $5k or so.

If I liquidated my retirement accounts? $150k, maybe.

All told, within a week, if I didn’t care about the wisdom of the act and needed cash RFN, I could probably lay hands on $200k.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I always keep a 100 dollar bill in my wallet along with 40-60 in cash. The 100 is not used unless for some reason my credit card is shut off due to identity theft/ fraud. It’s happened a couple times. I’ve never lost any money on it though. The credit card company catches it and shuts off my card.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
All of it
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At the moment? $1k or so at home. Another $5k if I go to the bank.

If I used credit card advances and open lines of credit? Maybe $25k.

If I sold my PM I have on hand, including stashes? That’s another $5k or so.

If I liquidated my retirement accounts? $150k, maybe.

All told, within a week, if I didn’t care about the wisdom of the act and needed cash RFN, I could probably lay hands on $200k.
View Quote
None of that counts per the OP except the $1K at home.  Ready cash, RIGHT NOW.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Right now about $2200
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
'Bout tree fiddy
View Quote
Actually this...

As in what I could reach in my pocket and grab. Carry around "too much" cash and the TBL will seize it and you can spend more money to get it back. Wouldn't put everything in the bank either for reasons, but careful how much folding money you carry 'cause TBL.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Actually this...

As in what I could reach in my pocket and grab. Carry around "too much" cash and the TBL will seize it and you can spend more money to get it back. Wouldn't put everything in the bank either for reasons, but careful how much folding money you carry 'cause TBL.
View Quote
I agree.  I don't carry more than about $100 normally, unless I'm on a trip or going to spend it soon.  But I keep a stash in the safe, just because.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
A little over 6k
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]
$5600 about 10’ away from me in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#19]
About $30,000.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
well, your avatar says canada, so that narrows it down
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#21]
$3.00
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Couple grand in the stash..
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#23]
20 bucks
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
$600 less than i did before i went to the bank this morning
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Nunya
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 12 dollars and some pokemon cards
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
$10.50USD
And
15.00 Euro
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Pre house construction, 56K,
now, 1500
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You are in hurricane country.  Standing in line at the bank trying to get cash before leaving town is a giant waste of precious time.

Every place worth living has potential natural hazards.  Earthquake, fire, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, riots.  Also, if you have Ready Cash you can make some really good deals: "Sure, I'll give you $500 for that mint Python!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had to leave.

On top of that, hurricanes are slow, 2 week long events in general. It's not like they just pop up on the coast line out of nowhere. You have a couple of weeks to get ready, every single time. I'm 150 miles inland anyway. But, even if I live on the coast, I would still have a couple of weeks to prepare. It's not a cash emergency.

Even if I were to have to evacuate, I still have debit and credit cards and checks. My bank isn't going to shut down. There are branches all over the state.

Also, who stands in line? There's ATMs out there.

And like I said, I can make a phone call and get a check cashed if I need it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've never had to leave.

On top of that, hurricanes are slow, 2 week long events in general. It's not like they just pop up on the coast line out of nowhere. You have a couple of weeks to get ready, every single time. I'm 150 miles inland anyway. But, even if I live on the coast, I would still have a couple of weeks to prepare. It's not a cash emergency.

Even if I were to have to evacuate, I still have debit and credit cards and checks. My bank isn't going to shut down. There are branches all over the state.

Also, who stands in line? There's ATMs out there.

And like I said, I can make a phone call and get a check cashed if I need it.
View Quote
People in NEBRASKA were saying that a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#31]
~$30-40ish, I think.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#32]
$2600-$2900
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#33]
$7
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
There should be a link from this thread to the other thread about what is lied about the most in GD
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#35]
500$ in the safe

We did pay house off Monday though
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]
100 Morgan and 100 Peace dollars. $100 face value of 90% silver quarters, and similar face value of 90% silver dimes. $120 cash paper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#37]
$1500 in the safe?
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not enough to be happy. But if I can’t get cash out I figure cash has just about lost all value anyways.
View Quote
Wrong. Local emergencies/disturbances can happen at anytime BUT be contained to your small local. The power of the dollar would still be very real but you won't be able to purchase anything while you're stuck in the jackpot.

Need gas to unass the area but credit is down? Got cash?

Need food or water? A part or supply to batten down the hatches on your home? A ticket for a ride the fuck out of there?

Cash on hand is a small insurance policy against certain unlikely circumstances, but the only excuse for not having it is being dumb or a poor.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#39]
At this moment,  a little over $700.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wrong. Local emergencies/disturbances can happen at anytime BUT be contained to your small local. The power of the dollar would still be very real but you won't be able to purchase anything while you're stuck in the jackpot.

Need food or water? A part or supply to batten down the hatches on your home? A ticket for a ride the fuck out of there?

Cash on hand is a small insurance policy against certain unlikely circumstances, but the only excuse for not having it is being dumb or a poor.
View Quote
Got Ammo=Got cash!
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#41]
$0.00
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Got Ammo=Got cash!
View Quote
LOL yea if you're willing to go on a murder spree because there is a flash flood/ earthquake/ fire/ meteor impact in your area.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#43]
0.00 currently living under a poncho
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#44]
$3K, but this message is too short.......
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is this like the IRS version of "Not today Mr ATF man"?
View Quote
No, this is the criminal version of "There's nothing in my house worth your life, Mr. Burglar-man."
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Right around 10K.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shhhh.  Some people just need to learn everything on their own.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, this is the criminal version of "There's nothing in my house worth your life, Mr. Burglar-man."
View Quote
Amen.  I think most criminals would be looking for softer targets than arfcom, and the ones that aren't are after bigger fish or they're on Darwin's short list anyway.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top