User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP is in Texas, the water WILL get hot!  I was in west Texas in early September and it was hot as hell!  But put black plastic over it to increase the solar heat.
View Quote

It is February.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I aquired this 5000 gallon water tank but it has a dent  on it from resting on its side for a year. The walls are 3/4” thick.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32554/IMG_3732_jpeg-3132578.JPG

I have the gasket and pipe for the holes on the bottom but need to pull this dent out so the gasket can sit flush.

There is an access port from the top than I can get into it.
Its 10’ wide by 10’ tall.
Thanks.
View Quote
Can you pressurize it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ETA. Guess you can’t embed a short

https://youtube.com/shorts/_oe_dbNTStk?si=jl88lx0lhw-1Hb2C
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ether and a match like they do with large tires.

ETA. Guess you can’t embed a short

https://youtube.com/shorts/_oe_dbNTStk?si=jl88lx0lhw-1Hb2C

The proper way to lose your job #automobile #job #explosion #reaction

remove "shorts/" from the link before you post

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes. Thats the problem. It wont seal properly with the dent and I can’t fill it properly with water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sealing it is going to be a problem with the bottom deformed......No?

Yes. Thats the problem. It wont seal properly with the dent and I can’t fill it properly with water.

While it's filling and its regaining its form, keep tighten the fiting.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Stick a chunk of 4x4 in that hole, wrap a chain around it, secure the tank, and pull with winch or whatever

Don’t get in it
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree with filling it. I'd be careful about going in, at least without a spotter, for breathable air issues.

Edit - I used to work at a chemical company, and there were several tanks, some larger than that. For anyone to go inside, there were procedures like wearing a harness, having two spotters to pull you out, etc. Apparently breathable air can be an issue more quickly than you'd think. I've never been in one; just sharing safety info.
View Quote
Confined spaces are no joke.

OP- any chance you work in the oilfield?  If so, toss you personal gas monitor in there before entry.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Fill tank to just below the open port. This is for weight.
Make a disc out of plywood a bit bigger than the port.
Put some kind of rubber on one side of the disk.
Also, a big reinforced eyebolt that you can use to pull on.
Place disk on the inside of the port, rubber side out.
Put tension on disk with truck or something pulling outward.
Continue to fill tank above port, and continue pulling.

Maybe, use some heat to soften the area, seeing as it's winter now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Confined space. Not only no but fuck no. Don't do that unless you are confined space trained and have the proper equipment. You'll need two "spotters", safety harness, a hoist, two air monitors [one for you to wear and one to be left near the opening of the tank].
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get inside and wedge a 4x4 to the opposite side. Or use one of those joist jacks like

builders use in basements to support the floor above.

Confined space. Not only no but fuck no. Don't do that unless you are confined space trained and have the proper equipment. You'll need two "spotters", safety harness, a hoist, two air monitors [one for you to wear and one to be left near the opening of the tank].

True story.  The problem with things like confined spaces and LOTO are that your life depends on other people knowing and following the training the same as you do.  It would take a while to earn that level of trust from me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fill it with water.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sch 80 bulkhead fitting might help straighten the opening.  Drop a rope through the top opening, fish it out through the bottom opening then run the bulkhead fitting down the rope.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sealing it is going to be a problem with the bottom deformed......No?

When you tighten up the flange from both sides, it should seal fine
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Air pressure? Seal leaks Pump in air.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Use one of these to get inside and brace it outside. Might get the area around the seal flat enough to use.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure you can orchestrate some kind of BLEVE.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really can't stop watching this

This needs to be an In gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Really can't stop watching this

This needs to be an In gif

Dun did it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]

YES! Thats awesome
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw something like that years ago but with 55 gallon drum. Someone was pouring out the contents of polyester resin into gallon jugs. When the drum was not pouring anymore, he decided to shine a light inside to be sure it was empty. Oh, but he didn’t have a light so he used lighter which he proceeded to drop inside while he was looking. The results was sound of a jet engine and flame like that shooting out of the bung hole. Had the building it was in not have been solid poured concrete, the place would have went up in seconds.
 One of the other guys there was crazy strong, fire plug, ex navy vet who ran over grabbed the drum with his bear forearms and threw it out the back. I wish I could say that was dumbest thing I saw the resin pouring guy do, but I could write a book on this guy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Try heating the area with a blowtorch?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sch 80 bulkhead fitting might help straighten the opening.  Drop a rope through the top opening, fish it out through the bottom opening then run the bulkhead fitting down the rope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea  .... what I was thinking as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the way. Works like a charm. Clean the inside and outside mating surfaces around the opening very well first. Make sure you get the gasket and slide ring in the proper order or you will have a leak. You can bear down pretty good on a sch. 80 bulkhead that size.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is the way. Works like a charm. Clean the inside and outside mating surfaces around the opening very well first. Make sure you get the gasket and slide ring in the proper order or you will have a leak. You can bear down pretty good on a sch. 80 bulkhead that size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will try it tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File

Cant fill it with water with the flange not installed and cant install it with this dent.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#22]
That fitting is a beast. You can absolutely tighten it enough to straighten/seal that opening. No doubt. Do you have the bolts, washers, any other gaskets or spacer rings for it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
A quart of white gas, and a zippo lighter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Don’t enter the tank.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That fitting is a beast. You can absolutely tighten it enough to straighten/seal that opening. No doubt. Do you have the bolts, washers, any other gaskets or spacer rings for it?
View Quote

I have all the fittings bolts, rubber hardware for it. I need to get an 8” NPT pvc nipple and plug it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]
8"? You can reach right in to put the bolts in and tighten them down evenly in x pattern, holding the back of the bolts. It will seal. Clean out all of that sediment before you put the fitting on.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top