[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
goddamn right.

you need a bayonet for that action.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.  Reload.

Wait, is this before or after Biden's assault weapon and mag ban?

It's Texas bro, after dark.  And stealing a generator directly threatens your infant's life.  How is this even a question?
View Quote

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Texas don't even need to warn them. Shoot em where they stand. Aim high as to not hit the generator. Once you verify they are sufficiently dead, hook the generator back up, go inside, call the cops back and let them know to bring the coroner with them when the weather clears. Then, since you're now awake, might as well get breakfast ready for the family.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you have a bodycam on.

Just have them attach themselves to your generator by the chains you hand them and wait for 911 response.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's Texas bro, after dark.  And stealing a generator directly threatens your infant's life.  How is this even a question?
View Quote

Living in a non-free state I purchased a shotgun for this sort of question, it being probably easier to deal with the aftermath of smoking an intruder with a 12ga pump rather than my semi-auto rifle even though the latter is superior in that situation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"But ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Is a 500 dalla generator worth more that the lives of these 2 young men that were just providing for their families and had just decided to turn their lives around and entered a GED program?"
View Quote

Those 2 men thought that generator was worth more than there own life.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Generator theft is a thing. My electrician told me a story of going out on a call for generator running but no power. He checked out a shed where the generator was supposed to be and found the guy’s lawnmower running and no generator. It had been stolen and the thieves started the lawnmower as cover. Homeowner never went outside to check the genny for themselves...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife is important.

Thieves not so much.

You don't mess with folks that live in the Hammock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I assume anybody trespassing on my property to do illegal things is prepared to cause me harm

I don't think it's a difficult case for the courtroom
View Quote

If it never sees the courtroom, it's even less difficult.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]
We've lost power on an off since mid January, wind storms knocking down trees onto power lines. Our 3500 generator is on our second story back yard deck, no access from ground, 5 ft chain link fence around back, locked gate and generator is cable locked to a 6x6 post. Then they'll need to deal with a German Shepard and an Anatolian Shepard if they come that way. I think I would have ample time to retrieve a shotgun if necessary.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Now run this scenario in a state like NY.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
FNY.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Gut shoot so they run onto someone else's property before they die.

or

Handcuff and hogtie, then take into the basement and wake up the gimp.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gut shoot so they run onto someone else's property before they die.

or

Handcuff and hogtie, then take into the basement and wake up the gimp.
View Quote

Bring Out the Gimp - Pulp Fiction (9/12) Movie CLIP (1994) HD
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot them and ditch the bodies in the woods or river. No need to involve law enforcement
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The police would happily do nothing about the theft, but they would work hard as hell to put you away if you harmed someone who is stealing from you.

Realistically your best option is to scare them off.  SSS would be justice, but I don't think many people would truly risk their freedom for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
What generator thief?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#18]
noise of a generator might be reason enough to invest in a small micro solar grid system.

A Renogy (reliable brand) 100W solar panel is about $100 on Amazon.

2KW of solar is roughly $2K now.

100 Amp Hours of lithium batteries with 80% depth of discharge and about 500-1000 cycles rating is about $500.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
noise of a generator might be reason enough to invest in a small micro solar grid system.

A Renogy (reliable brand) 100W solar panel is about $100 on Amazon.

2KW of solar is roughly $2K now.

100 Amp Hours of lithium batteries with 80% depth of discharge and about 500-1000 cycles rating is about $500.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#20]
After a hurricane people park their cars in a V shape against the garage so nobody can walk off with their generator
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#21]
First rule of what to do when catching thieves stealing your generator in TX at night with no police available.... is NOT to talk about what to do when catching thieves stealing your generator in TX at night with no police available.

Completely UNRELATED, everyone should own a backhoe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
You should have two throw down guns in case they have none?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't you just shoot people at night in Texas?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Simple, same thing that will happen committing any crime on my property at night in TX.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shoot.   Two of them and one of me at my home at night?   Haha.  That would get me no billed and a gift certificate to The Scioto Ribber.
View Quote

Take me!  Good eating at the Ribber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We had a derecho storm roll through in 2012, that left power out in my neighborhood for about 9 days.  

An elderly neighbor lady was issued a generator by the power company, to power her O2 and a few other medical things.  (Don't know the how or why of the deal, but it was owned by Dominion Power).

Night 4, some miscreants took bolt cutters to the chain locking it in place, and made off with it. Another neighbor noticed the lack of noise about 2 hours later, went over to investigate and called 911 for the theft and medical emergency.  

Elderly neighbor lady survived the night, but was never able to recover enough to return home.  She died several weeks later.

So, based on my experience and observation, the theft of a generator in an emergency situation could constitute a threat of grievous bodily harm to myself or another, and would be dealt with as such.
View Quote

That storm knocked out my power for four days.  We had a generator running 24/7 and while it was secured behind the house the noise was clear from the front, so we knew it would have to be guarded overnight.  Fortunately nighttime was the best time to get a lot of physical chores done because that's when the temp dropped enough you could comfortably do physical work inside the house.

Lots of pickups drove by slowly or stopped in front of our place between 11 pm and sunrise.  Shining a light from the house in their direction encouraged them to move on; the thieves obviously did not want to deal with an awake and aware homeowner.

In the OP's scenario if the thieves have actually made it to the generator then the homeowner failed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
It is not hard to add a real muffler with a long stainless flex to go threw the wall so it could safely run from inside a garage.
If they don't know it is there is much less chance they will try to steal it.

But it it happens, i vote for the SSS option.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hypothetical- it's hour 49 of no power. It hasn't been above freezing in 3 days. You live in a warm gulf coast climate, so obviously neither your house nor any public infrastructure is handling it well. You have a 1 year old at home you're struggling to keep warm by using the generator to heat your house.

You live in a suburban neighborhood that is at the edge of one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America.

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to extended power outages there is no cell service so you can't get through.

View Quote

Dude, check your man card.  You live in Texas and don't know what to do?  Come on, really!  Let the fucking air out of them.  You are allowed to protect YOUR property in the state of Texas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]
That does not seem like a difficult decision because the life of my infant child is at stake.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
...when all else fails

Dead men tell no tales...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Cow spike, and a chain to the generator.
Assholes will probably pour a Coke in the gas tank.
So convert it to propane during good times.

And keep it as unaccessable as possible.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Generator theft is a thing. My electrician told me a story of going out on a call for generator running but no power. He checked out a shed where the generator was supposed to be and found the guy's lawnmower running and no generator. It had been stolen and the thieves started the lawnmower as cover. Homeowner never went outside to check the genny for themselves...
View Quote
Crafty thieves, I give them points for creativity.

Anyone that's been though an extended power outage finds out that even the quietest generators like the Honda EUs will broadcast noise a long distance, add in poor light discipline and it's not hard for would be thieves to pin point who has a generator and who doesn't.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

As the rapper poet 50 Cent once said

“Wise men listen and laugh while fools talk
Stick up kids don’t live long in New York”
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking that would be like stealing a man's horse a hundred and fifty years ago in the western US.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine will be on the back patio, chained to a house pillar, fences to the back yard locked, labradors... well they might bark, sure won’t bite. Half of the local PD lives in my neighborhood so the gunshots will probably get them out of bed
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gut shot, that way they crawl off somewhere else and bleed out

I may know of an incident in the days following Katrina where someone was trying to break into a camper that the homeowner was staying in on their property so they could protect their damaged house. The Perp fled the scene and nobody ever came around asking questions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever weapon choose, make sure you're precise with shot placement, generators are hard to replace during emergencies.
Gut shot, that way they crawl off somewhere else and bleed out

I may know of an incident in the days following Katrina where someone was trying to break into a camper that the homeowner was staying in on their property so they could protect their damaged house. The Perp fled the scene and nobody ever came around asking questions.

New Orleqns at least you have alligators to take care of the evidence. Others may have more trouble with no swamps or pig farms available.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

New Orleqns at least you have alligators to take care of the evidence. Others may have more trouble with no swamps or pig farms available.
View Quote
you don't have access to a wood chipper at work and/or yuge barrel of hydrofluoric acid?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]
In an emergency looters are traditionally shot on sight right?

Anyway - it is quite apparent that you sincerely believed that your life was threatened when one of the trespassing thieves reached into his jacket and you instinctively reacted to prevent the scumbag from killing you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Still got the shovel!
View Quote

Levon !

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
How is this a question?
You could invite them in for hot chocolate. After all, one of them could discover the cure for cancer!
I suppose there are some people who would ask permission before taking a piss (or piss their pants.)

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#41]
What does the Texas Penal Code say?

Sec. 9.42.  DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1)  if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41;  and
(2)  when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A)  to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;  or
(B)  to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property;  and
(3)  he reasonably believes that:
(A)  the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means;  or
(B)  the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#42]
If you can be accused of threatening someone’s life by not wearing a mask, the same reasoning applies to these thieves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Living in a non-free state I purchased a shotgun for this sort of question, it being probably easier to deal with the aftermath of smoking an intruder with a 12ga pump rather than my semi-auto rifle even though the latter is superior in that situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll agree with that one, a rifle doesn't make nearly as much of a mess.
Still though, when you've gotta kill every motherfucking intruder right than and in a hurry, except no substitute than a 12g shotgun.

It's a gift from the Lord himself, to grant one way passage to hell, capable of excising souls in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#44]
First, I'd acknowledge the ground I stood on was indigenous/aboriginal/first nations land in the past and thank them, without giving the land back.

Second, I'd check my privilege and technological appropriation as I benefited from the un-recompensed inventor of the generator (most likely a non-binary POC slave forced to give zer master credit).

Third, I'd question my decision to purchase a generator made by Chinese labor, under poor working conditions and long hours. Even though they are already communist, I'd encourage their efforts to become even more communist and unite with the workers of the world in a huge labor union that would ensure a 15 Kopek per hour minimum wage.

Fourth, darn, the generator is gone! I'd protest the Police and criminal justice system for using patriarchy to selectively enforce laws created by a dominance hierarchy, instead of just giving everyone free generators, or forgiving generator loans.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've always believed some action put you and your family under threat of harm/death and therefor use the force necessary to insure you and your family survive.

Not everyone is going to feel that way, but you have to be able to insure the safety of yourself and your family.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Engage them with your rifle, transition to pistol and execute any survivors.

Fire up the bobcat, dig hole, roll bodies into it, cover with soil and compact.

Go back to bed, enjoy the sleep of the righteous.

View Quote

fire up the front loader and put them in the Edsel Ranger (the green one) from the pole and bury them in the old oil change pit.

when their brother comes and figures out where the bodies are, dig them up at midnight in the rain storm and in the morning aim the car at the electrical sub-station (covered with gasoline of course). That will solve all the problems except for their hot daughter.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#47]
SSS
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#48]
x=y

x=tools
y=weapons

for full disclosure, i failed algebra.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I dont know why people wouldnt think of generator security prior to needing it.

I set my generator on a concrete slab i poured for it. I welded together a locking mechanism to secure it thru the frame to the slab. Someone could probably still get it, but it wont be easy. Would take them long enough to discourage them and move on to the next one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
pics of breakfast?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Texas don't even need to warn them. Shoot em where they stand. Aim high as to not hit the generator. Once you verify they are sufficiently dead, hook the generator back up, go inside, call the cops back and let them know to bring the coroner with them when the weather clears. Then, since you're now awake, might as well get breakfast ready for the family.
pics of breakfast?

Hash Browns??
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top