Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/29/2020 3:08:39 PM EDT
Move to a free state.  I know.  Which one is that exactly?  G'head...make me a list.  I've heard it before, ya' know -- I've been around - I've seen things... in GD for a few years, so that's not the point of this thread...

I've already bought arms in CA....those who know me know I have the disease and I am how-do-you-say?, 'well armed', so that's also not the point of this thread.   Having jumped through the hoops of my overlords many times before, I'm well aware of the fuckery and shenanigans of the communist state in which I reside (I was born free.)

No, I make this thread today to WARN YOU - you who THINK you're in a free state - aware of the commie tactics coming your way if you don't step up your efforts.   CA was a conservative state when I first moved there.  This gun control shit didn't happen overnight.   That's Virginia................ - and - Massachusetts  You need to step up your game.  You've been warned.  Don't let this happen to you.  This is my story:

I have many pistols already, but I suddenly realized there was a gap in my tool cabinet that could only be filled by a SIG p229 Legion 9mm, because reasons.  (STFU, you - that's not the point of the story either...)

So this being California, even without the 'rona, one does not simply go out and buy a SIG p229 Legion  -- because it's not on what's referred to as "The Roster" of handguns that CA in all their tyranny has created where by only handguns old enough in design to be tactically boring and/or they've been drop tested enough times at the manufacturers expense that THE STATE says citizens can purchase them.  Meanwhile of course, LEO's can buy whatever the fvuck they want.  Some Animals, Other.

That means as a normal  joe, you can't go online - find a good price on a 229 Legion -- and have it shipped to your local FFL.  Nope, it's not on the roster and I'm not LEO.  So - how does one acquire such a pistol.  Ahhhhhhhh...one must go to the 2nd hand market and search for one LNIB or otherwise gently cared for.  Typically on the boards you see a lot of "has less than 200 rounds down the pipe", and there is typically a hot flipping market.   Built into that however, the original buyer is factoring in his cost -- he had to pay DROS fees to the state and an out-of-state-transfer fee -- and -- state sales tax on the out of state purchase amount, I shit you not.  So now that LEO decides, meh - don't love it, I'll flip it -- and owner #2 buys it, but he also pays DROS fees as well as a Private-Party-Transfer fee.  He shoots it / sits on it a year, decides he's into something else and lists it for sale.  But knowing that you still can't just go out and buy that same pistol new, he can still sell it in CA at a premium price over the free-America 'new price', simply because in CA it is 'off-roster'.

So by the time I come along - I've got TWO previous owners trying to get their money out of the pistol - including ridiculous State fees - so that by the time I'm able to acquire the pistol, I'm basically paying a "California Tax" equal to  DOUBLE what it cost to buy it new in free America.

Speaking of state fees...there is an entire separate history of how the state created a fund for our DROS fees that they sold the public on the idea that it would be used for gun safety and range maintenance -- and that the state couldn't touch it for other purposes.  - BUT - A few years after it passed, they came up with a new idea -- that they COULD raid the fund for 'other' purposes --- namely to fund DOJ JBT's to do Red Flag Law raids.  Well, - now - they say they have increased admin costs on stealing our money, so they need more money to cover their theft.  The DROS fee increased from $19 to $37 this year.

On top of that, my every 5-year (?) California Firearm Safety Certificate had expired, requiring me to retake the 4-page multiple choice test at the gun counter, pay the fee, before I could even start the DROS on the pistol.

So here's a breakdown of the tyranny:
California Firearm Safety Certificate Test $25.00
CA Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) Fee $37.19
CA Tax on the other Taxes $9.28
TOTAL Paid to State to allow me to 2A a new bang stick: $72.19*

*If I had been buying an "ON ROSTER" new firearm from an out of state FFL, then my FFL would have had to charge me CA State sales tax @ 9.5% of the sale price in addition to the above fees.

Lucky for me, my President loves me and just sent me a big incentive for being a Patriot.

Stock pic of pistola in question:

This pistol can be had new in free America for $839 + fees.   In CA, this pistol second hand will cost me $1,972 out of pocket before I take it home.  Please don't fuck up my thread by saying 'humble brag'...you're a dick if you do.  I (used to) work for a living and I'm trying to point out where the rubber meets the road in how you get ass raped if you let Liberals take control.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Righteous bucks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
we wore masks.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
But did you get to stand in line for 6  hours to buy, then 6 more hours to pick up, that was my last experience at Turners
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn nice pistola.  I had one in 357 SIG for a couple years.  You will enjoy it, I'm sure.  2K bucks worth?  Guess that's up to you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Damnit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But did you get to stand in line for 6  hours to buy, then 6 more hours to pick up, that was my last experience at Turners
View Quote

No - it was awesome actually -  I mean, the drive sucked - an hour each way - but the Transfer went smooth as silk.  Seller recommended a local Pawn shop that he said took post-rona walk-ins, no appts needed.  Huh? Cool.  All the Burbank joints are appt. only, but I called the pawn shop to confirm, and they said yeah, come on down...  We were in - and - out in no time.  

Lucky for me, only essential traffic on the fwy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn nice pistola.  I had one in 357 SIG for a couple years.  You will enjoy it, I'm sure.  2K bucks worth?  Guess that's up to you.
View Quote

I have other SIGs.  I 'wanted' this for reasons.  I wasn't interested in substitutes.    I just had to big boy pants it and pay the California Tax if I wanted what I wanted.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Where's the threaded barrel?

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Ouch. That sucks. I couldn't deal with that bullshit. I suspect you have to wait to bring it home also?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear ya.  Lived in the Bay Area for a few years.  Beautiful state.  But, (you already know how to finish this sentence.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ouch. That sucks. I couldn't deal with that bullshit. I suspect you have to wait to bring it home also?
View Quote
Yeah.  Pre-rona CA jail is 10-days.   Post-rona CA jail is "don't call us, we'll call you" ...My paperwork is still time-stamped for 10-days, but I've heard rumors that the system is backed up beyond 30-days in some instances.  

We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]

You know I'm already separated, right?  We did that thread a few months ago.   Since then , I found out they can't take stuff you buy after separation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hear ya.  Lived in the Bay Area for a few years.  Beautiful state.  But, (you already know how to finish this sentence.)
View Quote

beautiful beaches.  beautiful.  and the mountains?  have you seen the mountains?  beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
So you can buy and sell used pistols that aren’t on the roster, it’s just that the only ones allowed to buy new are LEO? So they control the importing of off roster pistols?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No - it was awesome actually -  I mean, the drive sucked - an hour each way - but the Transfer went smooth as silk.  Seller recommended a local Pawn shop that he said took post-rona walk-ins, no appts needed.  Huh? Cool.  All the Burbank joints are appt. only, but I called the pawn shop to confirm, and they said yeah, come on down...  We were in - and - out in no time.  

Lucky for me, only essential traffic on the fwy.
View Quote

None of my regulars has been able to take home a new-to-them handgun since the middle of March
Things could always be worse. The process you have to go through sounds like no cakewalk.
But..you did get to take it home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So you can buy and sell used pistols that aren't on the roster, it's just that the only ones allowed to buy new are LEO? So they control the importing of off roster pistols?
View Quote

Correct.  Been that way long time now.  So much so that they're setting up stings to prosecute LEOs for selling for profit
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
How does it work if someone moved to California, and has some icky guns ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh those threaded barrels are legal.....................with a cap glued on
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

None of my regulars has been able to take home a new-to-them handgun since the middle of March
Things could always be worse. The process you have to go through sounds like no cakewalk.
But..you did get to take it home.
View Quote

Well, not yet.  It's in "jail"
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How does it work if someone moved to California, and has some icky guns ?
View Quote

You have to modify them to a non-icky condition before crossing the state border and then you have 30-days to let the state know you're 2A'ing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I need to start selling pistols to CA residents.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#23]
My sympathies.  

Seems like the free states are slowly reducing in number.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

you can possess them here, just can't shoot them in most configs without a FFL
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#25]
In Texas it takes longer to fill out the yellow form than to make the purchase.

I want that one.
*Hands carry license and cash.
Fill out yellow form
Have a nice day.
10 minutes top.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My sympathies.  

Seems like the free states are slowly reducing in number.
View Quote
Thanks, and yeah they are.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#27]
You forgot the 10 day wait part and 1 per month part.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In Texas it takes longer to fill out the yellow form than to make the purchase.

I want that one.
*Hands carry license and cash.
Fill out yellow form
Have a nice day.
10 minutes top.
View Quote

sigh.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Correct.  Been that way long time now.  So much so that they're setting up stings to prosecute LEOs for selling for profit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you can buy and sell used pistols that aren't on the roster, it's just that the only ones allowed to buy new are LEO? So they control the importing of off roster pistols?

That does sound like a loophole ripe for exploitation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You forgot the 10 day wait part and 1 per month part.
View Quote

Oh, I didn't forget. I just didn't write about it in the OP
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#31]
How can I sell guns to CA residents? Can I move there and then sell all my guns then move back afterwards?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#32]
New Glocks cannot be sold in Mass to non-LEOs because of "consumer safety regulations". There is a brisk secondary market of NIB glocks for sale at $300 above MSRP as LEOs buy one and decide the next day they don't actually want it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#33]
IN before someone says move toTexass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice pistol - and great choice BTW. Sorry you got raped though. I'd contact your representatives and report this obnoxious abuse though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I thank my lucky stars i dont live there anymore.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Va will be nearly as bad by end of decade.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#37]
This is the way every state will  be if enough liberals live there to control the votes.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]
And after all that, your 229 still only holds 10 rounds, right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, that's a lot to go thru.   Hope they lubed it up for you.    They at least thru in the cool guy mags?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
For reference as to IS available "on roster" to purchase in CA?

If I'm not mistaken, the last time SIG added anything new to the roster was when the p220 Combat came out.  The p220 combat-CA is no longer in production...and the last time GLOCK added to the roster was back with the GEN3 series.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How can I sell guns to CA residents? Can I move there and then sell all my guns then move back afterwards?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And after all that, your 229 still only holds 10 rounds, right?
View Quote

Wrong.  I'm Pre-Ban Super Grandfather Long Time SIG motherfucker with all the goodness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn, that's a lot to go thru.   Hope they lubed it up for you.    They at least thru in the cool guy mags?
View Quote
Negative, ghost rider.  Standard Caps can only be transferred to the Kings Men.  I have my own pre-bans, see above.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wrong.  I'm Pre-Ban Super Grandfather Long Time SIG motherfucker with all the goodness.
View Quote

So at least there’s a silver lining.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#45]
CREEPING, CRAWLING COMMIE CRUD.
Coming to the state you live in before you know it. And don't count on morons in black robes.
You laff you lose.
????????
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So at least there's a silver lining.
View Quote

and that's why it had to be 229.  the 'because reasons' was all my pre-bans
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:This pistol can be had new in free America for $839 + fees.   In CA, this pistol second hand will cost me $1,972 out of pocket before I take it home.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Our founding fathers would have shot those tyrannical assholes that passed those laws in the face... just saying.

We're a sad caricature of a free country.

Nice pistol, but I only paid $1100 for this:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah.  Pre-rona CA jail is 10-days.   Post-rona CA jail is "don't call us, we'll call you" ...My paperwork is still time-stamped for 10-days, but I've heard rumors that the system is backed up beyond 30-days in some instances.  

We'll see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see.

I have heard/read same.

Glad I don't need guns/ammo right now. I can't even buy ammo without jumping through some additional hoops (have not bought anything since I last moved so address mismatch).

FWIW, cool looking Sig.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Our founding fathers would have shot those tyrannical assholes that passed those laws in the face... just saying.

We're a sad caricature of a free country.

Nice pistol, but I only paid $1100 for this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/231252/20200426_124740_jpg-1392748.JPG
View Quote

No legion, no care.  

(nice pistol)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top