Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2023 6:31:14 AM EDT
I remember a while back one of my buddies had a pair of jeans repaired with a patch that was either iron-on or glue on or something and it worked really well and you could barely tell there was a hole in his jeans before. It went on the inside.

Anyone know about something like that? I get holes in my work pants pretty regularly and would rather be able to do a quick repair than throw them out.

I've already done searches on Google and Amazon and I do see some but I don't really trust Amazon reviews over people who might have actual experience with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I get them from the local department store. I get mixed results; small patches up to 1 1/2 inches do OK but larger patches only last for a couple of washes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
As said above.  dryer makes them come lose, run a quick stitch around the outside and they'll probably outlast the pants.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My mom put those on the knees of my Jean's when I was a kid because I was always wearing out the knees playing. I hated them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, Mom did that to my jeans back in the 70s
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife just keeps trashed pants that are no longer usable to repair my current pants.

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Turn your jeans inside out.  Apply iron on patch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I use something similar to this

Attachment Attached File

Just cut your patches in oval or round shapes. If you leave a pointed corner, that is when they start coming off in the dryer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Gorilla Fabric Glue works very well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used iron-on patches in the past. Rounded corners, glue and or stitched, and they are serviceable. Got me through my manual labor careers when I was pinching pennies.

Personally, now, I just wear George or Wrangler jeans that I can replace for $15.87-$19.97 at Walmart when they wear out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to wear them as a kid.  Hated them.
But maybe they’ve improved them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I use them...They don't last long though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They work well within their limitations.
Walmart craft and sewing section, Jo-Ann fabrics, Hobby Lobby and other sewing places will have them. Be aware that since they are heat activated drying whatever is patched in the dryer will cause them to come loose. Hang those items to dry. Also they are pretty stiff. But other than that they work. I've got some overalls that need patching and I'm going to use those then sew around the border of the patch to reinforce it.
Also if you pocket carry without a holster they make a great liner to keep the gun from wearing through your pocket.
View Quote

As above. But I found that a local police supply store will do alterations, sew on patches, etc. and do repairs. I take in jeans and bibs, along with scraps of jean material for patching holes. They do excellent work fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Bischs’ tear mender, use pieces of denim as the patch. I have jeans patched 5 years ago that are still going strong
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]
My mom used to buy them at the grocery store in the laundry aisle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]
This stuf works like a champ. I used it to mend holes in my jeans due to battery acid. I managed to get some on my shirt and it was there for 5 years minimum.

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried some stick on ones that I cut square. Stuck them on both sides of the holes in my Jeans. They came off the 1st time I washed em.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]
But ripped jeans are trendy !
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#21]
As a kid, hated patched knees in my JC Penney jeans.  I wanted Levis
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I have patched several pants from the inside and they have held up well.
My retirement job is parts delivery for an auto parts store and nasty "core" batteries can put holes in pants pretty quick.

I have also fixed a few seats in my trucks. Had a seam split on a fabric seat.
Cut the patch to fit and slipped it in the hole with a good overlap, Ironed it in place and its held up fine for the past couple years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#24]
After ironing the correctly-sized patch, I'd still use a darning stitch to close up the hole as much as possible. Between them both, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I used them on the my Carhart coats outside pockets.  They make a tanish color. I did inside the pocket and outside. Worked pretty well for a bit. They were a cheap repair.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought the "ZEFFFKA" (I know, sketchy name, but have awesome 21000 plus reviews) brand of iron on patches on amazon to repair several pairs of jeans.  I used to by whatever walmart sold.  These are the best patches I have ever bought.  Just follow the directions precisely.  I made the repairs over a year ago and the jeans have been washed god knows how many times and the patches are still holding strong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I can confirm that Bish's is GTG as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#28]
One of my first construction jobs was installing torch down roofing...I was constantly ironing those things in after some asshole coworker wasn't paying attention and burn a hole in my pants

I hate those things lol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I used them but given time and washing, they begin peeling.  Sew your own patch.  I got a pair of undersized jeans for free at a thrift store for the purpose of making patches.  

<----------- Cheap and proud of wearing worn clothing.  Helps keep the beggars away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I used them but given time and washing, they begin peeling.  Sew your own patch.  I got a pair of undersized jeans for free at a thrift store for the purpose of making patches.  

<----------- Cheap and proud of wearing worn clothing.  Helps keep the beggars away.
View Quote

An old friend of mine lives near a homeless encampment. He was walking to the bar the other day and said a homeless guy offered him some free shoes because he felt bad for him wearing his beat up old New Balance

Assuming it was a setup, he told him his size and said he'd wait for him right there at the corner (under streetlights and cameras)...sure as fuck, the homeless guy brought him a box with brand new knockoff Nikes in his size!

I assume someone donated these things to the homeless camp and some of them are trying to "give back" to the community?

It's just ironic because said friend has 2 jobs, a house, family, etc...and obviously doesn't care about fashion anymore, but the homeless around him seem to care lol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#31]
They're fine for work pants.  I used them in my younger days.  The key is to get the patch VERY hot, and melt the glue to your cotton jeans.  Medium heat won't work.  

I had an old 1980's Camry with blue fabric upholstery.  Wore a ~2in hole in the seat.  It looked horrible.
I didn't have an iron, so I heated up a 2-3 quart pan on the stove, and "ironed" a blue patch in place.  It worked great until I sold the car.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wear a hip disarticulated prosthetic and get holes very quickly. Cut your patches with a 2" border and use this stuff.  Works great. I "press" the patched area between wax paper and books for a day.  

Holds up for years.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146014/Screenshot_20230103-054547_Amazon_Shoppi-2658943.jpg
View Quote

This is really good stuff. My pants always wear through just above the knee, I take an old pair and cut the backs of the legs out and glue that onto the front of a pair that's just starting to wear through on the front. Makes double front jeans.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I used some that I bought at Walmart a long time ago.

As long as it’s on a pretty flat part of the jeans (like not right on a seam or the crotch area), they work well and hold up for long time (couple years in my experience).  If one wears out and comes loose you can usually just put on a new patch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Talked to a tailor friend and he said these work great.
Ended up going with these

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My mom put those on the knees of my Jean's when I was a kid because I was always wearing out the knees playing. I hated them.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Sew on some velcro so you can change your patches based on your mood.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

i had toughskins
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got a freaky old lady, name of Cocaine Katie, who embroideries on my jeans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They run away because they think you are going to hit them up for change?
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/EgcB5I3-51.gif

Don't worry, his Dad drives his car for him.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

i had toughskins
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i had toughskins

The original cardboard jeans.  Stiff as hell new.  I remember the creases in the back of the knee and the blue dye that bled out on your skin
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Patches on Sear’s Toughskins where the thing. If you were lucky mom used the same color as the jeans, I not…poors.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is the homeless look i guess. LOL.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mid 70's kids would rip the Levis tags off of Levis and glue the tags on their K-Mart jeans.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my poor old gray-haired daddy driving my limousine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/EgcB5I3-51.gif

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show ~ "Cover of the Rolling Stone"
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

My knees don't rip out. It's the spot at the bottom of my pocket where I always have my keys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top