Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/4/2023 11:23:30 PM EDT
I remember GD used to move a pretty quick. Didn’t take long for threads to move from page 1.

But these days it seems like there is far less traffic. Are people posting less? Less members?

This place has been a pretty big part of my life for almost 20 years now. I sure hope it isn’t starting to wane.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sites changing as it’s gotten too big
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Better move this to the covid forum just to be sure...
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
More trolls, more Karens, more rules.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Well they have banned a shit load of the OG posters over the last few years. I’m sure that has slowed it down a bit
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Slower and much more doom and gloom.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Not nearly as fun as it used to be here. I'm looking for an alternative.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. More trolls, less info, its either shitposting or end of times.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Slower, way less active. More lurkers.

People don't think the NSA's 5th Gen war on Americans be like it is. But it do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Slower, way less active. More lurkers.

People don't think the NSA's 5th Gen war on Americans be like it is. But it do.
View Quote

I do think that’s part of it.

Nobody wants to lose their job for posting here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been here for a long time, sometimes more active than others.  A few years I was out of pocket and couldn't check in much at all.  A lot of the older guys are gone, for a variety of different reasons, and a lot of the newer folks come off as trolls or whatever.  It's still good, but we're missing a lot of the formerly active posters that kept things rolling.  Sometimes I think people forget this is GD, which used to mean a pretty goofy free for all.  They have really tightened up.  Oh, and no more bear pit!
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
It’s been a slippery slope for years now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
All forums have less activity, most people have moved on to other social media.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Very. Also much more doom and gloom. More trolls or bots, whichever it may be. More leftists and not just misguided southern democrats who really aren't liberals at all. Use to be GD had comedy, news bits and then some really cool shit members were doing. Now it's trolls, doom news bits, doom posts and every now and again some one will post something cool.

Use to be way less hatred too. Not sure when everyone got so damn angry all the time. Seems to be society as whole too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
It’s continued in a downward slope for a couple years now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Facebook Groups have taken over general interest forums.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a natural outcome of reducing quality content by banning a bunch of good posters. Signal to noise ratio gets worse, traffic drops.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I started browsing GD in 2014 and joined the first day of 2015. My first post was congratulating a guy on his newborn. 2016 changed everything. I remember targettarget and the trump threads literally everywhere. It was bad. It got to a point some members would just post screenshots of one members posts on GD and it was rows of trump hate threads. GD has been in much worse shape before. I miss the optimism and general good times people had posting though, and you still see some of that in the specialized threads. It’s more compartmentalized and less “general” now. There used to be some drama too. One girl looked herself up on google and found her news story posted up on Arf. She actually made an account and posted in the thread about her. I’m pretty sure she was being pimped out, and the post was a news link about a pimp beating her or something like that. She started posting and defending the pimp. Lolz. I’d say this place has had its ups and downs. It’s not great right now but it’s better than some years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ve definitely noticed the same. I used to live on this site. Now it seems like going back to your home town but everyone you knew is gone and the stores are boarded up. There’s still some familiar faces but it’s just not the same. Kinda sad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#23]
It seems like they’re trying to chase people off so my guess is people are obliging.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everything thing went to social media.

We're hold outs.
View Quote
Yeah basically.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Been here over a decade.  Very slow these days.  Can check back twice a day and the front page might not even have changed.  Boring too.  Used to be so much more fun and entertaining.  Kept me laughing my ass off at the antics.  Now....not so much.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very. Also much more doom and gloom. More trolls or bots, whichever it may be. More leftists and not just misguided southern democrats who really aren't liberals at all. Use to be GD had comedy, news bits and then some really cool shit members were doing. Now it's trolls, doom news bits, doom posts and every now and again some one will post something cool.

Use to be way less hatred too. Not sure when everyone got so damn angry all the time. Seems to be society as whole too.
View Quote

All of this.

It used to be fun. Now not so much. It used to be informational, now if someone posts a question it's pages of edgy comments.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We're hold outs.
View Quote
No, there are more members here than ever. It's just different. A real buzzkill. I used to laugh and laugh. Not so much now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not nearly as fun as it used to be here. I'm looking for an alternative.
View Quote
Me Too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Way slower and a lot less fun.

Too much drama and bullshit
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We’re hold outs.
View Quote

Uh, this IS social media.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#31]
More politics, less guns.  We had less of an interest in politics before politics took an interest in us.  Now we're interested in politics, which has much more serious outcomes than beans or no beans or 9mm vs .45 ACP.

Much more frustrating, much more stressful, b/c the outcome is much more serious.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Facebook Groups have taken over general interest forums.
View Quote

Is there a Facebook Group for fuckers like us?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#33]
These days running a website, podcast, blog, any online presence for that matter comes with a lot of risk, especially in the political landscape we have in the present day.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#34]
So much doom and glooms..     people need to chill
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Uh, this IS social media.
View Quote
He means more modern platforms.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#36]
The Active and Current news has improved a lot IMO, I am on some other forums that would have been days a head of this forum now this forum is actually hours to a day a head on current news being posted.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#38]
The old man has been here since like 04 or 05. Said the glory days are looooong gone
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Glory days are gone, but this is still a good place to catch news I’m interested in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#40]
There was a time that a topic could go from the first page to the third page of GD in about 15 minutes.  Replies came in so quickly I remember refreshing a single page multiple times to read more on that one page.  That speed seems to have died off as many people ditched forums for Facebook groups and other forms of community.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well they have banned a shit load of the OG posters over the last few years. I’m sure that has slowed it down a bit
View Quote

Got to pump up that glowie to citizen ratio.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part of that is absolutely engineered and tied to the trolls and bots. I really dug into things years ago
during the tracking pixel episode and was pretty shocked by how much online content is manufactured
by fake users for a long list of varied purposes. Companies are literally being paid to disrupt forum content
online, to astroturf threads, thread slide, or make it look like insane people support/don't support a cause,
and of course shill various products or political candidates.

And we have it great compared to sites like reddit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Moderated to death and the new tax laws for online sales will be the end.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#46]
After the great WAHTF purge, it was never really the same.  Mods ran off a really great group of guys
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Collectively the Site Staff have boat anchored this forum, and the mods hasten it.

Its gotten to the point that I dont trust any of them.  They have promised change, years later they have not delivered.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Active and Current news has improved a lot IMO, I am on some other forums that would have been days a head of this forum now this forum is actually hours to a day a head on current news being posted.
View Quote

Believe it or not but this place used to be much faster than it currently is news-wise.

We'd have the story minutes after something happened, and most of the time someone would be on the ground in the thick of it.

I still spend every single day here, and most of the day at that and I love this place and most of the people in it.

We do have our share of negative trolls, and I hope they either change their way or simply leave.

The bottom line is there's no better place to hang out online, with no better people IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#49]
downhill since Brownell
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#50]
A ton less humorless
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top