Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Practical?  No.

Effective?  With training, yes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally wouldn't choose a chain. I once tried to ward off an aggressive gernan shepard using my dog's leash. It takes a long deliberate windup to strike something with it, giving your intended target more time to counter.
Or if it's moving raipidly, like an irate german shepard, it won't be where you expected it to be.

Give me a large stick or a baseball bat.
View Quote
Bingo, I had a guy go at me with chain once, easily avoided.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"I have a 1-1/2" Guardrail nut looped on a piece of 550 cord. Not whiz bang tactical, but one smack to the grape and its coloring books for Christmas. "
View Quote
I was hoping someone would post that....
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I personally wouldn't choose a chain. I once tried to ward off an aggressive gernan shepard using my dog's leash. It takes a long deliberate windup to strike something with it, giving your intended target more time to counter.
Or if it's moving raipidly, like an irate german shepard, it won't be where you expected it to be.

Give me a large stick or a baseball bat.
View Quote
This ^^^

You get one swing and then the attacker is in on you.  A stick or bat can be swung or jabbed, not so with a chain, so you can also use a stick/bat in tighter spaces.

A chain is great to beat someone who is already tied up and can’t fight back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You usually see in gang fight movies, someone always has a length of chain as a weapon. A melee weapon, not a "Leia chokes the shit out of jabba" weapon.

Is it really useful? Is it just a harder piece of rope, maybe a crack the whip effect with the end of the chain? Maybe a head basher, but body blows might not hurt any more than a rope maybe, especially if you are wearing a leather jacket or something padded, like a winter coat?

No, I'm not going to volunteer as a test subject :D
View Quote
I know my father kept a short piece of tow chain under his front seat when he worked in a rough neighborhood and had to use it once.  As I recall it was effective.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Key to fighting with a heavy dog chain is doubling or quadrupling it to get roughly a two foot length. At that point you're swinging a flexible pipe with a decently quick recovery.

Years ago you'd occasionally see 1%ers wearing primary chain belts, and for the same reason you throw a Goodwill ball and glove in with the aluminum bat you keep in your car. With a heavy buckle you're not far off a light mace.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The.whole premise of the question was for hard chain, like your see in the movies. No weighted ends or specialized fighting chains.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, recall that a chain whip is a Chinese weapon.
With practice a piece of chain could be effective.
With no practice, I predict you'll catch one of your own links in the forehead.
View Quote
The key is to keep the chain shorter than your arm. Greatly reduces the chance of an own goal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
only if it's a timing chain wrapped with duct tape to leave a knob at each end so it's an two-ended flexible whip that will cut flesh down to bone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can't push a chain.
View Quote
Grandpa said that he had fucked so long with a limp dick that he could now shoot pool with a rope.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
It could fuck someone up.  It could also fuck up the person using it.  Kind of like nunchuks(sp?).
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It was pretty bad ass on Road Rash...

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would work well till you ran into that one person who knows to step inside and get close before you wind up to swing. So better have a plan B on tap.
View Quote
This. A chain of any kind is a piss poor weapon against anyone who has any fighting ability.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The.whole premise of the question was for hard chain, like your see in the movies. No weighted ends or specialized fighting chains.
View Quote
The reason most chain weapons are chain plus weight/spike is because chain alone isn't very effective.
If it were, the Marines would turn in all their firearms in exchange for a length of chain.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
A chain is an inferior weapon to a bat, nice bit of rebar, or similar bashing weapon because the way it moves makes it harder to control.

A chain is like a tire-iron, it's a great weapon because it is readily available and appears to be normal. A  biker can have a spare chain in his saddle-bag 'for repairs', a look-out boy could have a chain and paddlelock 'it's my bike lock'  and not face extra charges the way having a dedicated weapon (switchblade, brass knuckles, etc)

So it became a cultural expectation, now of course most would just go for a gun, but when the plot device calls for a non-gun fight scene, giving actor playing 'gang member #4' a chain to menace with is pretty par for the course

Edit to add Chain in martial arts: Many martial arts weapons actually come from the same foundation, they start out as some sort of tool that is reasonable for a peasant to have.  It's not as effective as a sword or spear or conventional weapon, or it takes a lot more training to reach the same level of proficiency, or both BUT you don't draw as much attention to yourself for having it.  Coma = hand scythe for cutting grains.  Nunchucks = fail for harvesting head off of grains. The list goes on.  Same applies to chains in martial arts.  With enough training can be VERY deadly, but the reason it becomes a weapon in the first place is it's being passed off as a tool of some sort.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd rather have a Louisville Slugger. Far easier to manage during a beat down.
View Quote
I don't have to explain or defend a length of chain in my car (to LEO), as I may have to concerning a lone baseball bat.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
They were a good option when I was in high school.  Wallet chains were popular and we got ours from the hardware store.  Quick detach from the wallet.  Had yourself a decent weapon you could carry around all day.

In a practical sense as an adult, there are better options.  As for a melee weapon that one would carry around day to day, I'd use a cane.  Canes can even go though the airport.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
In this video, a hot blonde illustrates the problem with flexible weapons.

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fixt.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the size but a 1" link chain will break bones if swung hard enough, especially if the victim reflexively uses an arm to block it.
Ya, and it's like 10#/ft.  Who the hell is swinging that?
Drunk rednecks having a disagreement over the last busch.
Fixt.  
@Kuraki  
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I know that they make a flexible sword that doubles as a belt, and it is quite an atrocity. Could leave you doubled up beside the sink with one eye bulged out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I want to say at one of the Dog Brothers Gathering Of The Pack, there were two guys that fought with chains. Have to check the YouTubes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything is a dildo weapon if you’re brave enough.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I want to say at one of the Dog Brothers Gathering Of The Pack, there were two guys that fought with chains. Have to check the YouTubes.
View Quote
Vurt da Furk?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
The correct answer is:  It's better than fists, if you get in a fight, and there happens to be one laying there.  But, if you're planning for a fight, there are much better options.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You usually see in gang fight movies, someone always has a length of chain as a weapon. A melee weapon, not a "Leia chokes the shit out of jabba" weapon.

Is it really useful? Is it just a harder piece of rope, maybe a crack the whip effect with the end of the chain? Maybe a head basher, but body blows might not hurt any more than a rope maybe, especially if you are wearing a leather jacket or something padded, like a winter coat?

No, I'm not going to volunteer as a test subject :D
View Quote
They work pretty good.  Works better with a heavy weight on the end, which is basically a flail.  A flail was a serious weapon in the middle ages and was one of the few non-polearm infantry weapons that were highly effective against plate armor.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Possibly related?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember one night in high school on a Friday night there were about 10 of us that went cruising around in a friends panel van and we were cruising the strip where everybody would hang out on a Friday night. We also had 4 more friends loosly crusing with us in an older mustang. Some dude in a hot camaro started getting all cocky and in the face of our panel van driver for some reason and he could only see the driver and passenger so I guess he thought it was a 3 on 2 deal, and then all of a sudden our 4 friends in the Mustang pulled up and jumped out ready to fight (there was still 10 more of us in the van the guy didn't see). Dude immediately runs to his car and takes off down a large multi-lane throughway and of course we went after him.  But we had two vehicles and the mustang ran him downm and got in front and we came up from behind and trapped him in the middle of the road.  When the rest of us jumped out of the van (it was a construction van) several of us were armed with chains (1" or so) and we beat the living fuck out of his camaro. scared the living hell out of those guys that were in that car but we didn't push it any further than that and went back to where we started.

so yeah, chains are very effective tools
Quoted:

Years ago a friend and I took a wrong turn down a road and a bunch of crackheads attacked our car, one was beating on it with a chain and put some pretty mean dents in it.
Possibly related?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OMG I really thought i was the only one ever to read that....watch out for the moths
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody fucks with Sos the Rope.
OMG I really thought i was the only one ever to read that....watch out for the moths
What’s that from?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I mean, I don't know about you OP but I'm not trying to get hit by a chain
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Kuraki  
View Quote
lol.

Chain is super effective as a weapon once it's been forge welded into a sword.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What’s that from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody fucks with Sos the Rope.
What’s that from?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you even ninja, bro?

https://www.karatemart.com/ninja-kusari-gama

https://www.karatemart.com/ninja-manriki-gusari

https://www.karatemart.com/double-steel-ball-bola

https://www.karatemart.com/ninja-manriki-chain

In the hands of an experienced ninja, it can be highly effective...

In the hands of a complete buffoon, useless...
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fixt.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the size but a 1" link chain will break bones if swung hard enough, especially if the victim reflexively uses an arm to block it.
Ya, and it's like 10#/ft.  Who the hell is swinging that?
Drunk rednecks having a disagreement over the last busch.
Fixt.  
Yeah, but these are rednecks we're talking about here...

The bush is probably stolen, so you're both right
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I think they are most effective when they are used like this:

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
If you know how to use it, chain can be very effective.  If you don't know how to use it, you will probably hit yourself or get it taken away from you....
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#38]
If it looks good in a ninja movie, it might get your ass kicked or killed in reality.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Dunno, we’ll need to see two chain gangs wearing chainmail fighting it out with chains. Winners can walk away with a lucrative blockchain wallet I guess.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm no pro by any means but I'd go with a sock loaded with D batteries over a heavy chain.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do you even ninja, bro?

https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/large/ninja-kusari-gama-8195061.jpg
https://www.karatemart.com/ninja-kusari-gama

https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/main/ninja-manriki-gusari.jpg
https://www.karatemart.com/ninja-manriki-gusari

https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/large/double-steel-ball-bola.jpg
https://www.karatemart.com/double-steel-ball-bola

https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/large/ninja-manriki-chain.jpg
https://www.karatemart.com/ninja-manriki-chain

In the hands of an experienced ninja, it can be highly effective...
https://i1.wp.com/33.media.tumblr.com/bf1304a42dca7210c987c3b8bd95bd87/tumblr_nmwu37CtUU1rdsiguo7_500.gif?zoom=2

In the hands of a complete buffoon, useless...
https://media1.tenor.com/images/36e50f9e08e0226464bb1ae5be1e9081/tenor.gif?itemid=4818355
View Quote
Holy hell!  Karatemart.com

That's gold, jerry!
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Vurt da Furk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vurt da Furk?
Sigh....

https://youtu.be/CELN-DQI5qc
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top