Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Either way Iron Eagle was a great movie
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When the airplane first went into service, or it could have just been the prototype for the fly-off between it and the YF-17 (which later became the F-18), I seem to recall that it was called the "Freedom Fighter" since it was around 1976 and the country was nuts about "200 Years of Freedom".  The first one I saw photographs of was painted in a red / white / blue motif and was quite unique for its day with its single engine, tall "Greenhouse" canopy, the wing strakes, and that enormous intake.
View Quote
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5
F-5A Freedom Fighter. Different aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I always thought the F-16 was named the "Fighting Falcon."  I even remember reading that it was the only plane named after a football team.  But recently it seems the name has been changed to "Viper."  What gives?
View Quote
It has ALWAYS been a Viper.

It is the slang name given by the first pilots and maintainers because when the jet first came out Battlestar Galactica was airing and the Viper is then name of the fighters in that show.

I wrenched Vipers for 20+ years and still run my hands down their panels at least once a week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of my neighbors is a retired Air Force pilot. He says its Falcon. He also says Eagle drivers are fags
View Quote
Stolen Valor.

It is a fucking Viper to those who drive and fix them.  It doesn't matter what the official name is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stolen Valor.

It is a fucking Viper to those who drive and fix them.  It doesn't matter what the official name is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my neighbors is a retired Air Force pilot. He says its Falcon. He also says Eagle drivers are fags
Stolen Valor.

This guy knows.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I never met a F-16 pilot that said "I flew Falcons."
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
They look much cooler IMHO with CFTs.

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Joint STARS is “affectionately” referred to as the J-Pig
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes they are.

Modified and what should be a new Viper.

Lockmart got in bed with Mitsu Corp

Bigger,stronger,harder,longer.

F-2 = Falcon on steroids
View Quote
Essentially the super hornet/hornet dynamic.

Scaled up design with more potential.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I love Dos Gringos.  WW III gives me the giggles every time I listen to it.  Believe it or not, Live At The Sand Trap is available from iTunes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Shit, that ain’t nothing.  Check out the SUFA.  Looks like something Carrol Shelby designed with all the scoops and shit tacked onto the body.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I love Dos Gringos.  WW III gives me the giggles every time I listen to it.  Believe it or not, Live At The Sand Trap is available from iTunes.
View Quote
How do you even know such a thing exists??  I’m impressed.

Also, this is their greatest song. If you fly airplanes.

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#13]
They are a sweet looking plane.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When the airplane first went into service, or it could have just been the prototype for the fly-off between it and the YF-17 (which later became the F-18), I seem to recall that it was called the "Freedom Fighter" since it was around 1976 and the country was nuts about "200 Years of Freedom".  The first one I saw photographs of was painted in a red / white / blue motif and was quite unique for its day with its single engine, tall "Greenhouse" canopy, the wing strakes, and that enormous intake.
View Quote
YF-17 was the Cobra, F-5 was the Freedom Fighter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSj0_Fd4ds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A misspent youth, followed by a series of questionable life choices.

My second favorite is 2’s Blind:

“What he doesn’t know
Is he’s lucky to be alive.
When I said I was visual
I lied my ass off
I was blind.

That from memory, but it’s close.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A misspent youth, followed by a series of questionable life choices.

My second favorite is 2’s Blind:

“What he doesn’t know
Is he’s lucky to be alive.
When I said I was visual
I lied my ass off
I was blind.

That from memory, but it’s close.
View Quote
If you have a military aviation background and/or actually understand the lyrics, almost all their shit is hilarious.

Hard to believe it’s like 15-20 years old.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
M551 Sheridans.
View All Quotes
M60A2
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M551 Sheridans.
View All Quotes
Close - M-60a2.  It had the same giant ass but stubby gun/missile launcher as the Sheridan.  It was a failure though, and didn't last very long in service. I believe many were converted into Combat Engineer Vehicles, with an even bigger and stubbier gun.  I'm curious as to how well it would have performed though, especially in a hull down position.

-K
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's complicated.  Since the official name is the Fighting Falcon that's what they should be called in official use.  The Thunderbirds call their jets Fighting Falcons but ACC's single ship demo team is called Viper East and West.
View Quote
We used the Viper callsign when they came to visit
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Lawn Dart  

BikerScout
Sunny AZ
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Joint STARS is “affectionately” referred to as the J-Pig
View Quote
I've never heard anyone refer to it that way. The only mentions I've heard reference the webcomic, but that is a character, not the airplane itself

https://www.jaypig.com/comics
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes they are.

Modified and what should be a new Viper.

Lockmart got in bed with Mitsu Corp

Bigger,stronger,harder,longer.

F-2 = Falcon on steroids
View Quote
The F-2 just looks bigger because the pilots have such small hands.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I believe at the time, "Falcon" was the common name. F-16 Falcon. No one said Fighting Falcon.
View Quote
At its official naming ceremony, which was carried on the news on TV way back in the late 70s, it was called the Fighting Falcon right there in the naming ceremony.

Offically it has always been the Fighting Falcon but everybody outside the office who came up with that name for it pretty much never calls it that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

KC-10 = Gucci

What's kinda funny is that the KC-135 is officially the Stratotanker but nobody calls it that.  In fact it doesn't really have a nickname that anyone uses.  It's just the tanker.
View Quote
It is hard to give airs to what is prettymuch a giant flying shell station. I completely get how important they are, and they are likely classed as a strategic asset, but sadly nobody got impressed back in the day by the guys who worked at a gas station, drove fast cars sure, shot people sure, but "worked at a gas station" isn't a panty dropper is all im saying.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It is hard to give airs to what is prettymuch a giant flying shell station. I completely get how important they are, and they are likely classed as a strategic asset, but sadly nobody got impressed back in the day by the guys who worked at a gas station, drove fast cars sure, shot people sure, but "worked at a gas station" isn't a panty dropper is all im saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KC-10 = Gucci

What's kinda funny is that the KC-135 is officially the Stratotanker but nobody calls it that.  In fact it doesn't really have a nickname that anyone uses.  It's just the tanker.
We get to go TDY to a lot better places than the go fast killers do.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Someone in that band worked on airplanes.
That is an awesome song.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stolen Valor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. I worked on them for a year at Kunsan, never once did I hear anyone use the word Viper. We had Falcon Drivers, Falcon Bites, "Fuck this Fucking Falcon". Every banner, plaque, painting that I remember on the base said Falcon. I never heard them called Vipers until years later, I figured it was just a new block revision or model.

I'm betting Falcon vs Viper is more base related, and possibly Guard vs Active Duty? I'm guessing you're at Shaw based on your location.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is an awesome song.
View Quote
They were both F-16 pilots IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

YF-17 was the Cobra, F-5 was the Freedom Fighter.
View Quote
F5e's on my base were Tiger II's. Awesome little fighter. They were an aggressor squadron.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup!

Seversky Aircraft became Republic Aviation which became a division of Fairchild-Hiller. Thus we have the Fairchild Republic A10
View Quote
I have a dummy 35mm that my neighbor gave me. He was on the design team at Fairchild Hagerstown. It’s a fucking shame that it’s all gone now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

F5e's on my base were Tiger II's. Awesome little fighter. They were an aggressor squadron.
View Quote
Boca chica? I lived on Summerland @mm25 and the F5’s used to come in low over my house. Used to drive home with the top down while the F18’s were turning in on approach over rt1.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's complicated.  Since the official name is the Fighting Falcon that's what they should be called in official use.  The Thunderbirds call their jets Fighting Falcons but ACC's single ship demo team is called Viper East and West.
Viper East is my Wing.  West used to be the 388th but now that they have 35s I don't know who has the west commitment now. Luke has the F35 demo team.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
GW1 all the tanker call signs were gas companies. Shell X, Mobile X etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is an awesome song.
View Quote
They all flew Vipers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I believe at the time, "Falcon" was the common name. F-16 Falcon. No one said Fighting Falcon.  
View Quote
THIS

The official name was going to be the F-16 Falcon, right up until the first production version was ready to be delivered to the AF.

But Dassault Aircraft of France filed a lawsuit over the name since they had been building Falcon business jets since the 1960s.  So AF added "Fighting" to the F-16's official name to settle with Dassault.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Boca chica? I lived on Summerland @mm25 and the F5’s used to come in low over my house. Used to drive home with the top down while the F18’s were turning in on approach over rt1.
View Quote
Nope, late 70's in England. I should scan some pictures.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#40]
The "Kernals" I work with call them Vipers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They were both F-16 pilots IIRC.
View Quote
That makes it even better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you have a military aviation background and/or actually understand the lyrics, almost all their shit is hilarious.

Hard to believe it’s like 15-20 years old.
View Quote
It really is.  I have a couple favorites, I think they’re all funny. Well, except The Bitch Spent All My Money

I think they were fairly junior Captains at the time.  Probably got out long ago, can’t see that kind of sense of humor as an 06 at the Pentagon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I wish the USAF would buy a couple hundred block 70 F-16Vs. Pretty damn capable fighter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Love me some Aggressor Squadron F-16s..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117689/18AG-f16s_jpg-1066280.JPG
View Quote
They look better in person.

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I can see my house  Gotta say, I'm envious since that view beats being on the ground.

F-16 Aggressors At Red Flag Alaska 19-2 • Cockpit View

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

CH-53E Super Stalion = Shitter

CH-46 Sea Knight = Pfrog

etc. etc.......
View Quote
We always called the CH-46 the “Crowd Killer” or the “Boeing Vertol Body Bag.”  I was in when they went through a series of bad rotor blades and transmission failures.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I dunno why, but the A2 has always been my favorite version of the M60.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
NKAWTG, love the 135. But also been with a unit that flies them for almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll throw a wild card. In the late 70's and into the mid 80's, the F-16 was called the "Electric Jet" in the maintainer community. This was due to the first use of digital fly by wire in a tactical aircraft. That was pretty much all I heard it called when I was in two different F-16 units from 1983-87. The pilots might have been using viper, but it was not crossing over into the maintenance side of the house. That was over 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Double post, have not had one of these in a long time.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top