Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Did I make it in before @Bullf-16?
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. I worked on them for a year at Kunsan, never once did I hear anyone use the word Viper. We had Falcon Drivers, Falcon Bites, "Fuck this Fucking Falcon". Every banner, plaque, painting that I remember on the base said Falcon. I never heard them called Vipers until years later, I figured it was just a new block revision or model.

I'm betting Falcon vs Viper is more base related, and possibly Guard vs Active Duty? I'm guessing you're at Shaw based on your location.
View Quote
My 30+ years wrenching and living with them says you are wrong. Your year at the Kun didn't teach you much.

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My 30+ years wrenching and living with them says you are wrong. Your year at the Kun didn't teach you much.

https://www.shaw.af.mil/portals/98/Screenshot%20may%2010%20for%20AFPIMS.jpg
View Quote
Those guys have a great show up here in AK last month.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always heard it referred to as viper, except in FMS brochures.  And even those now are marketing it as the F16V Viper upgrade model.

Spent 3 years in a viper unit and seven years in fighter ops groups fwiw.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did I make it in before @Bullf-16?
View Quote
Looks like you did.

Probably busy, out having a life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Saw that one fly this year

Fucking awesome, is what I call it
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. I worked on them for a year at Kunsan, never once did I hear anyone use the word Viper. We had Falcon Drivers, Falcon Bites, "Fuck this Fucking Falcon". Every banner, plaque, painting that I remember on the base said Falcon. I never heard them called Vipers until years later, I figured it was just a new block revision or model.

I'm betting Falcon vs Viper is more base related, and possibly Guard vs Active Duty? I'm guessing you're at Shaw based on your location.

I think it is a "what year" situation. As I posted above, I never heard the F-16 called anything but "electric jet" and less commonly "Falcon" or "Fighting Falcon" up through my departure from the USAF in 1987. I never heard it called Viper even in my limited interactions with pilots during the early/mid 80's. But the pilot community did not talk to us a lot in those days, outside of maintenance debriefing. I never heard Viper used as a universal name for the F-16 until the early 90's. The pilots might have been doing their own thing far earlier with the Viper name.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They look like they took roids and actually grew some traps
View All Quotes
Or love handles
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lawn Dart
View Quote
This.  The loud and obnoxious little brother to the F-15.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They have this amazing resource where you can look up information on a bunch of networked computers, I think they call it the Internet, you might want to try it ;-)

Chris Kurek got out of the AF after ten years in 2008 and has held several jobs since and is now an airline captain.  Rob Raymond is still flying F-16's out of Shaw, but he's a group commander now.  Erik Brine, a C-17 pilot who joined the group later, is working as a legislative liason and lists being a Colonel in the AF Reserve on his LinkedIn profile.
View Quote
LOL

I didn't bother to dig up the where are they now.

Guess who I am gonna corner for a laugh at work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Again...

Quoted:
Fighting Falcon is the official name, pilots and crews refer to it as Viper, allegedly because of Battlestar Galactica.
Also B1 Lancer > Bone and B52 Stratofortress > BUFF
View Quote
http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html

Viper: the unofficial nickname
The F-16 is often referred to as the "Viper", a nickname especially popular with people involved with the F-16.
Before "Fighting Falcon" was selected as official name, pilots at Hill AFB, the first F-16 base, came up with a number of proposals, including "Viper".
Lt. Col. Pat "Gums" McAdoo, USAF Ret., one of the first F-16 pilots at Hill AFB, recalls the origin of the name "F-16 Viper":

At end of runway, the F-16 did resemble a cobra or something as it approached you.
However, I think Northrop had already taken that name for the YF-17.

We all voted, and Viper came in really high.
Seems there was a series on TV that had 'colonial Vipers' flying off of Battlestar Galactica (a term later used for the Eagle).

In any case, the Generals didn't want a plane 'named after some snake'!

Falcon was a good name, and it fit in with the motif that the Eagle had created.
Sort of a little brother, but still a 'Bird of Prey'.
In fact, GD had a great promo out in late 70's called "Bird of Prey", and it used the Falcon as the real world model.

Even when F-16 Fighting Falcon became the official name, Viper stuck around and became the unofficial nickname for the F-16.
The name "Viper" is even officially used for the Joe Bill Dreyden "Semper Viper" award, which is awarded for excellent airmanship by F-16 pilots.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They have this amazing resource where you can look up information on a bunch of networked computers, I think they call it the Internet, you might want to try it ;-)

Chris Kurek got out of the AF after ten years in 2008 and has held several jobs since and is now an airline captain.  Rob Raymond is still flying F-16's out of Shaw, but he's a group commander now.  Erik Brine, a C-17 pilot who joined the group later, is working as a legislative liason and lists being a Colonel in the AF Reserve on his LinkedIn profile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have a military aviation background and/or actually understand the lyrics, almost all their shit is hilarious.

Hard to believe it's like 15-20 years old.
It really is.  I have a couple favorites, I think they're all funny. Well, except The Bitch Spent All My Money

I think they were fairly junior Captains at the time.  Probably got out long ago, can't see that kind of sense of humor as an 06 at the Pentagon.

I am properly chastened. I’ll try to do better in the future.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
GW1 all the tanker call signs were gas companies. Shell X, Mobile X etc.  
View Quote
When we fly NATO support out of Geilenkirchen we use Esso call signs.  Those are local gas stations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When we fly NATO support out of Geilenkirchen we use Esso call signs.  Those are local gas stations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GW1 all the tanker call signs were gas companies. Shell X, Mobile X etc.  
When we tanked we were "Texaco".

I wonder why.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@AF-ATC is also a good man to talk to.
View Quote
Viper /thread
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@bullf-16

The MAN should be able to help out
View Quote
Meh, I no longer check in to these threads.  What do I know...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Meh, I no longer check in to these threads.  What do I know...
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like you did.

Probably busy, out having a life.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
We proudly proclaim it as the Viper because if you don't pay it proper respect it will hurt you bad.

Just like any Pit Viper will.  Simple as that I guess.

Yes a Falcon will eat a bunny or two....lol...Im shaking in my flight boots.   Love me the Viper and the Hog will really wreak havoc.  Get both, I have.  

Here's me paying proper respect to a Viper this past Friday night, early Sat morning while stalking hogs....oh, they will also ruin your day if the cutters hit you.

Western d back. Cool little dude. Didnt even rattle
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mitsubishi F-2s, despite the resemblance, are not F-16s. But, they are called Viper Zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mitsubishi F-2s, despite the resemblance, are not F-16s. But, they are called Viper Zero.
The Mitsubishi F-2 is a multirole fighter derived from the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon, and manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Lockheed Martin for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force, with a 60/40 split in manufacturing between Japan and the United States. Wikipedia
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Surprised IRON EAGLE never caught on.
View Quote
That you, Chappie Sinclair?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mitsubishi F-2 is a multirole fighter derived from the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon, and manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Lockheed Martin for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force, with a 60/40 split in manufacturing between Japan and the United States. Wikipedia
Like the Hornet/Super Hornet. Developed from, looks like, but not the same. Not even the same size.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5
F-5A Freedom Fighter. Different aircraft.
View Quote
Yep, you are absolutely right.  Don't know where I came up with that one, my bad!  Thanks for the correction.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top