Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Day 62 + 1.

The coming days will decide how I rate this thread.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]

OK lots of drama around this up-armored possum.

I made visual contact a couple nights ago. Grabbed my weapon. Wife unit for some reason took my Walmart brand Cream of Mushroom soup and put it in the soup cabinet. I grabbed some beef and veggie or something.

I engaged the target. Missed, hit low. Soup can launcher is way the heck louder than I remember it being. Wife unit inside the house freaked out; apparently she didn't know I was outside defending our home. Our dog, Bullet the Corgi freaked out as well. She ran around and found a flashlight to figure out what was going on outside. Bullet ran around and pooped on the floor in all the excitement.

I can't find the soup can, only traces of it were some wrapper. Wife unit said I should switch to something quieter. I'll save the soup can for the skunk at my mom's later.

Grabbed suppressed .22 and filled in his infil/exfil hole. Heard him again.

Went back outside, angled for a safe shot, and engaged. Hit him twice. Blood on the ground.

Unfortunately, he made it back under the house. This is a problem. I don't want dead armadillo under my house.

I ditched the nods and crawled into the crawl space with .22 and a $.99 Harbor Freight flashlight like some kind of redneck version of a Vietnam tunnel rat.

I crawled around in the spider webs until I found his hole. I could hear him breathing in there. The hole looked deep. I stuck my arm and gun in there as far as it would go. Felt around for what felt like the most likely direction of tunnel, and emptied the rest of my mag. BTW a suppressed .22 2' under ground is super quiet. Like stapler quiet. Wife in the house above me didn't hear anything.

I don't think any of those shots hit him. After doing some reading, it sounds like their dang tunnels can be up to 20' horizontal and up to 4' deep.

Anyway, I knew he was at least wounded and wanted to try to seal off the tunnel in case he died in there. The last dillo I shot and dumped in the garbage can didn't go so well. I scooped up dirt with a board I found and filled the hole as far as I could reach, compacting the dirt along the way.

I crawled back out and filled in his access holes again.

Then today those access holes were dug out. Then I heard him coming out again. I grabbed my suppressed .22 again and found the red dot broken. I put that up and grabbed my wife's .300 BO and loaded it with subs. By the time I got out there, he was deep into the back yard. I manuvered again for a safe shot but couldn't get there. He escaped into the neighbor's yard.

This guy is tough, fast, and smart.

I'm sitting up listening for him with my wife's gun waiting.

Pics inbound.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

IN!!!   SO F'ing IN!!!

Maybe you need to introduce Mister Varmint to some...  little Plastique friends!

Caddyshack (1980) - Think Like a Gopher Scene (8/9) | Movieclips

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Blood trail from .22 hits.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Redneck tunnel rat

Attachment Attached File

Tonight’s loadout

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Arfcom call sign: Harbor Freight Tunnel Rat

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Arfcom call sign: Harbor Freight Tunnel Rat Carl Spackler

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#9]
And so it begins
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And so it begins
View Quote

And so it continues.  Night after night, hour after lonely hour, he stands guard, ever alert to defend against the savage beasts which prowl just beyond the dim light of his home.  It breaks my heart to think of him sacrificing himself to protect his family under such primitive conditions, sometimes with only improvised weapons.

Mustangduckk, a true American hero!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
and the weeks crawl by..........
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm pretty sure OP is dead. The Raccoon ate him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP, op....  

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#14]
OP needs one of those Call of Duty heartbeat detector doodads, except sized for possum tickers.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top