User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that most people have a poor understanding of lasers and their capabilities. I'm sure that is because of movies and advertising. I really like them because they can do stuff that nothing else can but it's an extremely narrow window. They make accurate fire from any shooting position possible. It's pretty cool to be able to bust a clay bird at 25 yards with a pocket pistol from the waist. They also only really work when it's dark out which is something they don't highlight in advertising. I used to take customers out in the sun and show them how the dot would all but disappear on most clothing. The green was a little better but places like here where it's bright most of the time you aren't getting any help until the sun goes down. I do believe there's a small deterent with a visible laser similar to the Tasers but not enough to matter and certainly not anything you would want to depend on.

The only gun I have them on is an LCP which I hardly ever carry. They are pretty hard to justify cost wise.

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a guy addressing the light issues and he said something to the effect of that's certainly a valid concern in certain situations but they probably didn't apply to what most people will encounter. "If you have a group of Navy Seals hunting you down it's certainly valid but it is probably the least of your concerns at that point" Or something like that
View Quote

I like my laser on my G42. I don’t plan on getting them for every handgun i own but on tiny pocket guns that I only plan on shooting within 20’ they seem to be pretty effective.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A lot of what he says about comparisons with USPSA Classifiers is dated and/or flawed.
View Quote

I think he wrote that in 2016 so I'd imagine some of it is dated.   Does that change the fact that they, lasers, are more beneficial than many say or that many of the same arguments used to advocate for a RDS can also apply to a laser?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't hate too much because I haven't tried them.

My only experience is watching people use them on the local indoor range. They fire real slow because that laser is wandering all over their target. Eventually they shoot, seconds later. You know they hit the sweet spot when you hear the boom. Look at their target and the holes are all over. If only they used irons or a dot (heaven forbid) they could have shot the bad guy much faster.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve no issue with them.
Some of my pistols have one. Some don’t.
Nothing makes a potential evil doer release their bowels faster without letting loose a single shot than painting a green bead on their chest.
They’re also nice for painting which target is the threat to others who may be assisting you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My only experience is watching people use them on the local indoor range. They fire real slow because that laser is wandering all over their target. Eventually they shoot, seconds later. You know they hit the sweet spot when you hear the boom. Look at their target and the holes are all over. If only they used irons or a dot (heaven forbid) they could have shot the bad guy much faster.
View Quote

The same applies to irons and red dots however in the hands of new users. They’ll spend 5-10 seconds tracking trying to get everything lined up and placed just right.

Lasers, red dots, irons … they’re like any aid. You must train with them to improve your speed and accuracy, and the accuracy should be focused on grouping shots on target in the effective zones, not trying to knock the 10 ring out unless you’re an ISSF competitive shooter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that’s unfortunate. lol I think they have a place I have a 380 bodyguard(not what I usually carry I’ve had it before the g43) and before rmr on pocket pistols was a thing and probably during the mid 2000s ugh getting old. I was able to hit steel plates 125yds just goofing off. Was it slower than aiming is tough to say at close range I’m sure but at 1st and 2nd degree murder distance maybe not lol. The 43 has a light and on rifles I run ir only. Works fine for my purposes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Lasers, outside night vision applications, are stupid.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have one on a LCP. Wont hold zero.
View Quote
I removed mine immediately.

My LCP came with a free dog toy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]
light/laser combo ftmfw

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve no issue with them.
Nothing makes a potential evil doer release their bowels faster without letting loose a single shot than painting a green bead on their chest.
They’re also nice for painting which target is the threat to others who may be assisting you.
View Quote

If the gun pointed at them doesn't make them pause, I doubt the dot on their chest is going to make a huge difference.  

I can't come up with a realistic scenario where there are multiple people who could be perceived as the threat to "helpers" but I want to single a specific one out....or that a defensive situation that I'm likely to have people come assist before the situation is over.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I find that a laser slows me down, and I'm no more accurate.  

View Quote

Yep they aren't for shooting unless it's protected posture during room entry or nonstandard positions.

But they do a great job of signaling ne'erdowells that they aught to find another location posthaste.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]

CT lasers are designed so you can shift grip angle and turn them off. Other than that, interesting paper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think red dots are better because they give you the same “view” as a laser but since it’s only a couple feet from your face it doesn’t turn a tiny bit of shaking into a metric shitload of wobble at 10-25 yards.
View Quote

Learn to shoot. Unless your definition of metric shitload of wobble is different than mine, you should be getting 2.5" groups at 25 yards on the square range.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

there's people in here saying they have bad eyesight so they use a precise laser to paint a target that, I guess, they can't really see and I'm supposed the believe they can hold that laser steady on their intended target?  mmkay.

if iron sights are a no-go, red dot is the answer.

lasers are for infrared spectrum and NODs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

there's people in here saying they have bad eyesight so they use a precise laser to paint a target that, I guess, they can't really see and I'm supposed the believe they can hold that laser steady on their intended target?  mmkay.

if iron sights are a no-go, red dot is the answer.

lasers are for infrared spectrum and NODs.

False. You can't use a red dot from retention.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have yet to have anyone who caught a laser need to catch a bullet. And dozens have caught the laser.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#16]
My take on it is if you are going to mount a weapon light, might as well go with one that has a laser too.  You can choose to use it or not.  It's there if you want it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lasers, outside night vision applications, are stupid.
View Quote

I would argue that lasers are more stupid in nvg ops as you should have the time and presentation to use nonemitting sights. And you don't need to warn people off or use nonstandard positions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Ruger LCR that wears a CT laser grip. I would not have payed extra for it, but I bought the gun lightly used for a song.

I played with it a few times at the range and just found it distracting and made better hits without it. So know, it just stays turned off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If the gun pointed at them doesn't make them pause, I doubt the dot on their chest is going to make a huge difference.  

I can't come up with a realistic scenario where there are multiple people who could be perceived as the threat to "helpers" but I want to single a specific one out....or that a defensive situation that I'm likely to have people come assist before the situation is over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve no issue with them.

You may not believe it but I've seen it repeatedly with my own eyes. Literally everyone besides one disappeared with a quickness and never came back. The one threw his hands up and danced around while moving back.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You may not believe it but I've seen it repeatedly with my own eyes. Literally everyone besides one disappeared with a quickness and never came back. The one threw his hands up and danced around while moving back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve no issue with them.

How many defensive scenarios have you been in where you pointed a gun / laser at someone....outside of this discussion, it sounds like you need to move

Have you also pointed a gun at someone without the laser and not have them disengage?  There have been too many videos posted in GD of people pulling guns, expecting the presence of the gun to stop the threat and being wrong.  In those videos, I don't believe the presence of a laser would have any additional impact.  Regardless of it being the gun or laser, I'm glad it worked out for you....but I also don't believe it's a good idea to go into an altercation with the expectation that the laser itself will make a difference in the bad guys actions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How many defensive scenarios have you been in where you pointed a gun / laser at someone....outside of this discussion, it sounds like you need to move

Have you also pointed a gun at someone without the laser and not have them disengage?  There have been too many videos posted in GD of people pulling guns, expecting the presence of the gun to stop the threat and being wrong.  In those videos, I don't believe the presence of a laser would have any additional impact.  Regardless of it being the gun or laser, I'm glad it worked out for you....but I also don't believe it's a good idea to go into an altercation with the expectation that the laser itself will make a difference in the bad guys actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve no issue with them.

Too many my dude, and I did.

Just the one where he didn't bail but he also backed up.

My presence prevented worse things, although the homeless did try to break into my apartment, attempted to rape three neighbors, prepped an apartment for burglary near me (they didn't know I was there but I dropped a motion activated light in their approach path. It was gone in the morning but they didn't burgle the apartment either), tried to break into a common area in front of me (he saw the gun and tried to bullshit his way out of it but the cops took him away for being drunk, homeless, and on parole anyway, didn't say a word to me), etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#22]
A dealer half drew a gun at my window but my hearing is trashed as it is, so I drove off. Called the cops seconds later and they said I should have called sooner even though I had eyes on and video of him doing it. He didn't come back though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One too many accidental cat shootings.
View Quote

"Accidental"
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I got into CCWing a pistol for protection in the mid 2000s seems like crimson trace laser grips and laser max guide rods were all the rage. Or so it seemed to me.

Fast forward to 2024 I very rarely see them on carry guns now.

Why have they fallen out of favor? With in close range they make sense. I run a TLR6 in my G42.

Thoughts?
View Quote

My buddy gave me a blue laser, even though I said I didn't want it. He was confused "why?" He just thinks "oh it's badass! It's got da beemz!" He ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. He'll ask me for advice on gun stuff then proceed to disregard what I tell him because he thinks whatever he's looking at it cool.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lasers work two ways.  Not a great idea unless it is NVG style.
View Quote

The other guy has NVG too now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My presence prevented worse things, although the homeless did try to break into my apartment, attempted to rape three neighbors, prepped an apartment for burglary near me (they didn't know I was there but I dropped a motion activated light in their approach path. It was gone in the morning but they didn't burgle the apartment either), tried to break into a common area in front of me (he saw the gun and tried to bullshit his way out of it but the cops took him away for being drunk, homeless, and on parole anyway, didn't say a word to me), etc.
View Quote

Are you The Equalizer?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]
imo..kinda like a guy at the range that finishes a mag and then looks both ways to be  sure no other threat exist!..lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you The Equalizer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you The Equalizer?

I'm just a boring dude.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have yet to have anyone who caught a laser need to catch a bullet. And dozens have caught the laser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the laser is just a higher-tech version of "racking the shotgun"?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  optics.  like a laser the BG cant see.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lasers. LOL.

I wrote the first policy on lasers on pistols for my department circa-1996-ish. Not a fan or lasers at that time, "The Chief" had one, his buddy and that guy's buddy did and they wanted to see them authorized. Doesn't mean I gotta be a fan too. LOL. Gave me his personal one to test, a CRDC. About double the size of a TLR-1. Ish. Specifically told me he will get it back in working order, as he'd already seen how rough I was on "testing". Not all the "sales/testing" samples I was provided over the years survived my testing, which was nothing more than the use I'd subject ANY carry weapon to) Good stuff survived this. Cheep shit...didn't. LOL.

Wrote him a two page memo why they were a good idea...and bad. Pulled no punches. He chuckled when I didn't balk at him authorizing them over my clear position not to. See, I get paid to make you look good, Chief. Your cooperation helps. But what I DO, is provide you with the most ACCURATE information I can so YOU can make an informed decision. My personal position doesn't enter into it. I'm not the fucking Sun King, right? LOL. So you make your decision, my job is then to carry it out. Schedule classes, write policy which you yourself will approve and the people who want to will carry them. Simple.
Anyway

Those CRDC lasers performed about as well as I predicted; inside of five or so years, none of them worked anymore. They never asked for me to approve any other models so it was a moot point, though the SWAT Bubba's found a use for them in certain situations such as working from behind ballistic shields. (they did not use CRDC) This department has, wonders of wonders, stood the tests of time in keeping up with the joneses. Embraced RDS on pistols, LVPO optics for Patrol in addition to the standard whatknot they carry for rifles in 5.56/223 or 308 caliber.

I did have a student in one of the classes I put on for IALEFI back when, his department issued them for their duty pistols, Glock 17. Their Chief bought a bunch, handed'em out at roll call. No practice, nuttin'. This guy had carried it like this months? Found out during my class (first time he'd shot more than a mag's worth) his pistol was a jammamatic. Asked if I had a spare recoil assembly, which I did in my rolling armorer's kit (A Chevy one ton long van at the time) He proceeded to field strip his pistol, remove laser, install factory recoil spring assembly, fired three mags worth no stoppages. Then, he stomps that lasermax or whatever to death. LOL

Had other students use them with varying degrees of success. Only one I have is a set of grips on a Ruger with a laser. It's not a normal EDC but I play with it. Works, but I like irons better.
I have one pistol with a RDS.
But I like irons better.
So Solly.
LOL
View Quote

Judging by the tone of your post, would it be safe to infer that you feel such accessories are unnecessary?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think he wrote that in 2016 so I'd imagine some of it is dated.   Does that change the fact that they, lasers, are more beneficial than many say or that many of the same arguments used to advocate for a RDS can also apply to a laser?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of what he says about comparisons with USPSA Classifiers is dated and/or flawed.

Concepts on application of vision and sight usage have also changed over the course of 8 years, and rather significantly.

I would reference the training material from the PSTG instructors primarily (stoeger, kim, park).
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Concepts on application of vision and sight usage have also changed over the course of 8 years, and rather significantly.

I would reference the training material from the PSTG instructors primarily (stoeger, kim, park).
View Quote

what has changed in 8 years that now makes one type of projected dot unusable but another type usable?  What has Stoeger and Kim's study of lasers shown?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Judging by the tone of your post, would it be safe to infer that you feel such accessories are unnecessary?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lasers. LOL.

I wrote the first policy on lasers on pistols for my department circa-1996-ish. Not a fan or lasers at that time, "The Chief" had one, his buddy and that guy's buddy did and they wanted to see them authorized. Doesn't mean I gotta be a fan too. LOL. Gave me his personal one to test, a CRDC. About double the size of a TLR-1. Ish. Specifically told me he will get it back in working order, as he'd already seen how rough I was on "testing". Not all the "sales/testing" samples I was provided over the years survived my testing, which was nothing more than the use I'd subject ANY carry weapon to) Good stuff survived this. Cheep shit...didn't. LOL.

Wrote him a two page memo why they were a good idea...and bad. Pulled no punches. He chuckled when I didn't balk at him authorizing them over my clear position not to. See, I get paid to make you look good, Chief. Your cooperation helps. But what I DO, is provide you with the most ACCURATE information I can so YOU can make an informed decision. My personal position doesn't enter into it. I'm not the fucking Sun King, right? LOL. So you make your decision, my job is then to carry it out. Schedule classes, write policy which you yourself will approve and the people who want to will carry them. Simple.
Anyway

Those CRDC lasers performed about as well as I predicted; inside of five or so years, none of them worked anymore. They never asked for me to approve any other models so it was a moot point, though the SWAT Bubba's found a use for them in certain situations such as working from behind ballistic shields. (they did not use CRDC) This department has, wonders of wonders, stood the tests of time in keeping up with the joneses. Embraced RDS on pistols, LVPO optics for Patrol in addition to the standard whatknot they carry for rifles in 5.56/223 or 308 caliber.

I did have a student in one of the classes I put on for IALEFI back when, his department issued them for their duty pistols, Glock 17. Their Chief bought a bunch, handed'em out at roll call. No practice, nuttin'. This guy had carried it like this months? Found out during my class (first time he'd shot more than a mag's worth) his pistol was a jammamatic. Asked if I had a spare recoil assembly, which I did in my rolling armorer's kit (A Chevy one ton long van at the time) He proceeded to field strip his pistol, remove laser, install factory recoil spring assembly, fired three mags worth no stoppages. Then, he stomps that lasermax or whatever to death. LOL

Had other students use them with varying degrees of success. Only one I have is a set of grips on a Ruger with a laser. It's not a normal EDC but I play with it. Works, but I like irons better.
I have one pistol with a RDS.
But I like irons better.
So Solly.
LOL

Unnecessary? Depends on the user and the circumstances to which a laser sighting device is employed. I know of people, primarily military-ish that use them with quite good success. Been my experience that most of my students shoot more "efficiently" (faster) and more accurate with irons/RDS than they do with a laser setup. If someone can make it work, seen that, I'm happy for them.

I prefer irons on an EDC. Maybe someday I'll get good enough with a RDS to depend on one. Been using those on rifles for a long while, just can't get the hang of one on pistols yet. As for lasers, I've found certain narrow uses for them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

what has changed in 8 years that now makes one type of projected dot unusable but another type usable?  What has Stoeger and Kim's study of lasers shown?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.  I'm saying application of dot equipped pistols has changed significantly as they've gotten more popular, for the better.

At the most recent IPSC Nationals, the winner of Production Optics was 12% ahead of the Production winner. I would say a 12% improvement in performance over similar skilled shooters with just the change of a dot is significant, given the ruleset (PO and P have essentially the same rules outside the optic).

I have no interest at all in the application of lasers on firearms, outside shooting at coyotes with night vision and IR lasers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not.  I'm saying application of dot equipped pistols has changed significantly as they've gotten more popular, for the better.

At the most recent IPSC Nationals, the winner of Production Optics was 12% ahead of the Production winner. I would say a 12% improvement in performance over similar skilled shooters with just the change of a dot is significant, given the ruleset (PO and P have essentially the same rules outside the optic).

I have no interest at all in the application of lasers on firearms, outside shooting at coyotes with night vision and IR lasers.
View Quote

The point of sharing Rehn's study is to show people that say lasers are worthless, slow, etc that that simply isnt the case.  People that are slow with lasers and also slow with a RDS (and most likely irons). It is something that has to be trained with to be effective (just like we say with a RDS).  The RDS is better is most areas, but to listen to many that means the laser is useless which certainly isnt the case. Ultimately it is up to an individual to use whatever he wants
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The point of sharing Rehn's study is to show people that say lasers are worthless, slow, etc that that simply isnt the case.  People that are slow with lasers and also slow with a RDS (and most likely irons). It is something that has to be trained with to be effective (just like we say with a RDS).  The RDS is better is most areas, but to listen to many that means the laser is useless which certainly isnt the case. Ultimately it is up to an individual to use whatever he wants
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in New Mexico. I doubt any eye safe laser is sufficiently daylight bright for use here. Dots do just fine.

There is also the issue of the laser moving on a contoured target being more difficult to track instead of a dot on your handgun floating over the top that you can simply superimpose over your current vision.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Bad things only happen on well lit square ranges.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
However, when doing target practice at night, the laser is fun and fast. It can also help to diagnose issues with new shooters / show them flinching.
View Quote

This. She had a lot of rifle experience, but her dad didn't show her much about pistols. She did the typical pull of the trigger you can get away with on a rifle, and figured there must be something wrong with the pistol as shots were placed low and to the side. Then I shot it well. Thought then it must be her eyes are seeing the sights differently. Laser showed her jerking the sights off line during the pull/press.

Then I turned the thing off because it became more distracting than helpful. She got so caught up on attempting to keep the thing still before the shot, grip, etc went out the window.

Plus it was a cheap, POS laser for an otherwise quality brand name 22LR pistol. Probably an old Umarex built, rebranded thing. It would crap out every couple shots as the coin batteries shifted in the poorly designed plastic housing.

But for that One Thing, it worked great.

PN
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why are you shooting from retention if you’re not at contact distance?

If you’re at contact distance, you don’t need a laser.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm just a boring dude.
View Quote

That’s running around laying weird traps for homeless dudes?

WTF is your life?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

WTF is your life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just a boring dude.

WTF is your life?

Someone stole his car and killed his dog.....now he's got to get out of the city?

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in gun games, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not in gun games, that's for sure.
View Quote

Nor in reality.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#48]
That sht was gay as fk  I tried one I was slow  and don't think any amount of training would help  when I see someone with a laser I immediately think fudd amateur. That's not always the case but a good rule to go by
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top