Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2017 7:48:45 PM EDT
ONE FUCKING YEAR before I'm eligible to start collecting it

The Social Security and Medicare trustees issued their 2017 annual report on Thursday, and it began with an alarm bell.

“Both Social Security and Medicare face long-term financing shortfalls under currently scheduled benefits and financing,” the trustees wrote in the summary of the 268-page document. “The Trustees recommend that lawmakers take action sooner rather than later to address these shortfalls.”
The Trustees also projected the biggest increase in payouts in years—a 2.2% increase—which comes to an average of about $28 per person.

Insolvency is on track for 2028 for the disability fund and 2034 for seniors. Insolvent, however, does not mean empty; it means that the funds would not be able to completely fulfill its debts to the public. It’s not as bad as a $0 check sent to American seniors, but the stakes are still high.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/social-security-track-large-abrupt-cuts-17-years-unless-congress-acts-175058898.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's bring in another 10 million third worlders, including their grandparents.  That should improve things dramatically.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Then that just means it's insolvent now.  

Congress will just raise the deduction and fund it in the budget.  Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You thought you were getting that money back after they took it from you?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
No, I've known that since I was 22.  But son of a bitch, I feel like I'm cursed.  I don't get even a taste of that sweet, sweet vote-buying entitlement after an entire adulthood of paying into it.  Its collapse has been timed perfectly to exclude me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Democrat Answer:  Raise taxes.  Grow Govt.  Bring in Illegals by the millions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]

"There is no fucking money, missions over."

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Democrat Answer: Raise taxes. Grow Govt. Bring in Illegals by the millions.
View Quote
Another thing they're sure to do is raise it to 65.  Then just before I turn 65, they'll raise it to 70.  Then they'll print so much money by the time I start collecting It'll be worth about $50 in today's dollars.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a clip somewhere of Alan Greenspan testifying to congress about it. He says "I can absolutely promise that everyone will receive the dollars they are owed from ss, but I cannot guarantee what those dollars will be worth."
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The key is finding how much money has been collected every year since the start and how much is paid out.

Congress has been spending the excess and replacing that with IOUs.

Had they really placed the excess in a "lock box," it should be much better
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope they take my 401K into account, and give me less or nothing because I'm "fortunate enough" to have had a 401K, so my SS money can go to someone "less fortunate".

That's what I'll be told anyway.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Just refund what ive paid in so far and stop taking it out and we are square
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah?

When I was 18 they predicted that SS would be insolvent by 2000.

That was 43 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Stop transferring funds from Social Security to the fraud infested SSI  Disability program ASAP.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
At this point I'd just be happy with them stop fucking taking it. Fuckin ponzi scheme bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You didn't pay into anything except the general fund.

It's been 80 years. Ignorance is not an excuse for believing FDR's propaganda.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ONE FUCKING YEAR before I'm eligible to start collecting it

The Social Security and Medicare trustees issued their 2017 annual report on Thursday, and it began with an alarm bell.

“Both Social Security and Medicare face long-term financing shortfalls under currently scheduled benefits and financing,” the trustees wrote in the summary of the 268-page document. “The Trustees recommend that lawmakers take action sooner rather than later to address these shortfalls.”
The Trustees also projected the biggest increase in payouts in years—a 2.2% increase—which comes to an average of about $28 per person.

Insolvency is on track for 2028 for the disability fund and 2034 for seniors. Insolvent, however, does not mean empty; it means that the funds would not be able to completely fulfill its debts to the public. It’s not as bad as a $0 check sent to American seniors, but the stakes are still high.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/social-security-track-large-abrupt-cuts-17-years-unless-congress-acts-
175058898.html
View Quote

I've always joked and said "just you watch, ss will run out just as I'm getting ready to retire" Sure as shit, right down to the year
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds good to me. 

Obviously we're not going to get rid of social security right away, so Congress should pass the Do Nothing About Social Security Act, and phase it out in 2034 or when it becomes insolvent, which will probably be well before 2034. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The key is finding how much money has been collected every year since the start and how much is paid out.

Congress has been spending the excess and replacing that with IOUs.

Had they really placed the excess in a "lock box," it should be much better
View Quote
Exactly and the very reason that it is FO time should they even talk about taking over citizens' private retirement accounts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#19]
This is perfect!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#20]
In 2034 I will be 85.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hope they take my 401K into account, and give me less or nothing because I'm "fortunate enough" to have had a 401K, so my SS money can go to someone "less fortunate".

That's what I'll be told anyway.
View Quote
I hate to break it to you, but most likely you will be told what you have to pay so that the "unfortunate" can survive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You didn't pay into anything except the general fund.

It's been 80 years. Ignorance is not an excuse for believing FDR's propaganda.
View Quote
IDGAF where it goes...give it back to me and I am not worried about retirement welfare when I am old.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
By the time I'm ready to retire, the social security age will by 97.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the time to pay all your debts and secure a safe compound.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Abolish social security and that disability scam..  I've been scammed out of 10k in SSI just from my own FSA mother, while I was away doing military training. Had to pay all that back. I want to opt out of this 80 year scam.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is the time to pay all your debts and secure a safe compound.
View Quote
methinks this is the right answer.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
But the Boomers MUST get their "investment" back, because reasons.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]
On the bright side, people who used to argue with me about SS now admit that I was right.

Not all of them, but many of them.

One size fits all products, tell me again about how good they are.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stop transferring funds from Social Security to the fraud infested SSI  Disability program ASAP.
View Quote
This. Fucking 24 year olds getting on disability because of "General Anxiety Disorder" and drawing a check for the rest of their lives should be the first problem to tackle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]
It won't be insolvent it's backed by the printing press
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
.... it's insolvent now.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't opt out of paying into it and it's unlikely I'll ever get that money back.

I want a refund.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Let's bring in another 10 million third worlders, including their grandparents.  That should improve things dramatically.
View Quote
It wouldn't be so bad if they could get good jobs in manufacturing like 50 years ago and actually pay real money into the system. But they won't because those jobs are gone thanks to globalism and won't be coming back. Instead, these people and their children will be taking min. wage jobs and taking far more from the system than they will ever put into it. And the back door remains open for all to enter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS...

Biggest fraud in America.
People get laid off.......pick up their 2 yr extended unemployment check......get to sit home, maybe pick up an odd job for cash on the side....then when unemployment starts to run out and they've gotten used to that couch......they find the "ouch my back" SSI Disability honeypot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#35]
So about the time an entire generation of GWOT vets who are just old enough to decide they're completly out of fucks are getting ready to draw?

Well.... that's gonna be interesting.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
THIS...

People get laid off.......pick up their 2 yr extended unemployment check......get to sit home, maybe pick up an odd job for cash on the side....then when unemployment starts to run out and they've gotten used to that couch......they find the "ouch my back" SSI Disability honeypot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THIS...

And SSI Disability has already gone insolvent having been saved time and again by transferring money from ordinary Social Security to those on " disability".

SSI, which stands for "supplemental security income" is not actually part of the Social Security system but is funded out of it and people who have never even paid a dime of FICA, both "disabled" and not disabled  receive benefits.

Non disabled people who have never worked can receive benefits based on their income.

It's actually a parallel general welfare system piggybacked onto social security.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Oh yeah?

When I was 18 they predicted that SS would be insolvent by 2000.

That was 43 years ago.
View Quote
Uhm. SS damn near did collapse in the last 43 years:

See the "years in fund" thing? SS was running on just 2 months in reserve for a good part of the 80s.

They had to greatly increase the tax to save it.

It's coming back, bigger than ever, as the biggest generation in American history (Boomers) retire as they're being funded by a far smaller generation (Millennials).
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#38]
But according to some here it has helped millions of Americans!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#39]
It's nice to know that I will have maxed out FICA for 30+ years and nothing will be there 2 years before I could draw anything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Insolvent does not mean there is zero money left.

In reality SS has been insolvent for decades.

i don't count the worthless IOUs as assets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#41]
People will get paid.

Just like people had lots of cash in Zimbabwe.  Of course you need a wheelbarrow full of it to buy some food.

Your ss check will be 3000 a month.  Your grocery bill for 2 weeks will be 9000.

Technically if there is one person paying into SS it can not be insolvent.  It's by design.  When it reaches the point where there is not enough to pay out all of it's obligations the law is that everyone gets a hair cut.  If only 100 dollars come in a month they split it millions of ways.  But they will get paid.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I was told the funds taken from me for the past 40 years are in a lock box.......so I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Great! My projected retirement year!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've always joked and said "just you watch, ss will run out just as I'm getting ready to retire" Sure as shit, right down to the year
View Quote
Don't worry. They will pass a law that allows them to seize private retirement accounts to continue funding it for another year or two. I can't wait to see what cute name they give this bill and how they try to play it off as being better for you than your own account. I have no 401k but I do own a lot of rental property. They will have to get really crafty to take that away.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Exactly and the very reason that it is FO time should they even talk about taking over citizens' private retirement accounts.
View Quote
They have already talked about just that. So far it has only been talk but by your own measure you should be foing right now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#46]
OP: born in 1973? Me too.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Don't worry. They will pass a law that allows them to seize private retirement accounts to continue funding it for another year or two. I can't wait to see what cute name they give this bill and how they try to play it off as being better for you than your own account. I have no 401k but I do own a lot of rental property. They will have to get really crafty to take that away.
View Quote
Eminent domain
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Uhm. SS damn near did collapse in the last 43 years:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/388563/ChartGo-161478.png

See the "years in fund" thing? SS was running on just 2 months in reserve for a good part of the 80s.

They had to greatly increase the tax to save it.

It's coming back, bigger than ever, as the biggest generation in American history (Boomers) retire as they're being funded by a far smaller generation (Millennials).
View Quote
Millennial generation is larger than the Baby Boomers
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/25/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Eminent domain
View Quote
Is a taking which the Constitution requires that they compensate you for.

There will be no confiscations of property.  Congress needs to increase the FICA tax over time and raise the income limit above which it is not taxed.  Congress also needs to continue to raise the retirement age.  The failure to tax social security like any other income is silly as well.  We tax unemployment benefits, why not tax Social Security?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is perfect!
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top