Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Osha will fine them $300 for not wearing safety glasses. Boots look steel toe. GTG.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think I see an eye in there.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you've been around here long enough when you resist the urge to click on these.

I always wait until page 2 appears...  from the sounds of it I don't want to look at page 1

this!!!

i still havent looked but its killing me

scale of 1-10 how bad does it look?

To make it clear, the entire front half of the man, including his entire head, is ground beef. You can actually see an eye sticking out of the pile of shredded meat.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess you've been around here long enough when you resist the urge to click on these.

I always wait until page 2 appears...  from the sounds of it I don't want to look at page 1

this!!!

To make it clear, the entire front half of the man, including his entire head, is ground beef. You can actually see an eye sticking out of the pile of shredded meat.

It is like they tried to cover up the mess he made with his head skin
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
DBLTap for safety

Don't touch
Leave Area
Notify a supervisor
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
poor guy and his family
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Never seen anything like that. Have machine tools here at home & had a few close calls. Took off top of fingernail in mill, banged knuckle ( several times ) on spinning lathe chuck.....just takes a second of not paying attention. Wow..................
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How does a lathe do that ?? I could see ripping off an arm or something, but damn.

That chuck likely weighs almost 100 pounds. At, lets say 660 rpm you are NOT stopping it.....you either get lucky and your "Made in China" shirt shears off.....

or you are going in.......

Even at 100 rpm....you are likely doomed.

DOOMED, I say.

ETA: after reviewing the photos,......that chuck weighs an EASY 100 pounds.

Chuck is probably upwards of 150 lbs. and that lathe can probably do 1800 rpm.  I cant wait to show the guys at the shop tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this!!!

I can see both eyes,they must be tough to stand up to that without popping.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, now I don't want to see the pic when I get home!!

Like I stated in my other post, machine tools are dangerous animals.  Plus, add in the fact that anyone can buy one (regardless of education or experience level), accidents are bound to happen.  And in accidents, I mean some gruesome, gnarly stuff!

You simply can never let your guard down, especially with large equipment.  I've been dumb a few times with mine and left the key in the chuck, only to have it come flying out when the machine started up.  I have learned that stupid nearly always hurts, but you can bet I will never wear long sleeves with my lathe!
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does a lathe do that ?? I could see ripping off an arm or something, but damn.

That chuck likely weighs almost 100 pounds. At, lets say 660 rpm you are NOT stopping it.....you either get lucky and your "Made in China" shirt shears off.....

or you are going in.......

Even at 100 rpm....you are likely doomed.

DOOMED, I say.

ETA: after reviewing the photos,......that chuck weighs an EASY 100 pounds.

Chuck is probably upwards of 150 lbs. and that lathe can probably do 1800 rpm. I cant wait to show the guys at the shop tomorrow.

I am totally with you on the 150.  I was being conservative but the more I look at that chuck the more I know it was a fucking juggernaut.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
There's more pictures of it out there where you can see the material wrapped around the lathe is his shirts and the chuck actually made it half way down his back. The guy was wearing layers, black sweater, blue shirt and a red undershirt no way he was getting out of that one.

ETA: Here's the rest if you want them.... http://madpicture.blogspot.com/2009/09/accident-on-lathe.html
Forgot to button a shirt sleeve while using a drill press once and got snagged but killed it before it hit flesh. Will never make that mistake again.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That should be required viewing for 8th grade metal shop classes.

What shop classes?  Theyre long gone in these parts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I was expecting his hand to be cut up or something
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
breaking on the wheel
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Only about 3 or 4 or more years old...

Yup BIG machines can HURT you...

That is NOT a big machine. There's an old lathe in a shop one town over from me that has a 10 foot diameter faceplate on it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moving machinery is no joke. I got a gloved hand (stupid mistake wearing gloves) snagged in a 3/8-16 tap and nearly got my hand ripped off. I got lucky and only got a huge abrasion on the top of my hand where it dug into my skin before ripping the glove off.

This must be some right of passage when working with metal. It happened to me drilling some steel, and a nice spiral spun around and snagged on my glove while reaching or putting down the oil brush...next thing I know I am snapped into the drill press and fighting like hell to hit the stop button...never, ever, wear gloves.

As for the man on the Lathe....yikes.

Long chips mean you're doing it wrong. They are more of a hazard than the moving machine parts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Some folks don't realize the power of those old lathes.

If you can use it to turn down steel, tungsten, aluminum, etc.... It will jack you up if you slip for a minute.  Looks like something got caught, hair or something while he was machining.

Max
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Moving machinery is no joke. I got a gloved hand (stupid mistake wearing gloves) snagged in a 3/8-16 tap and nearly got my hand ripped off. I got lucky and only got a huge abrasion on the top of my hand where it dug into my skin before ripping the glove off.

This must be some right of passage when working with metal. It happened to me drilling some steel, and a nice spiral spun around and snagged on my glove while reaching or putting down the oil brush...next thing I know I am snapped into the drill press and fighting like hell to hit the stop button...never, ever, wear gloves.

Long chips mean you're doing it wrong. They are more of a hazard than the moving machine parts.

What causes the long chips? I used to cut steel alternator sliprings and they were always a long continuous string.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
And this is why sometimes, you let that goddamn M&M go.  I don't care if it's the blue one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Mythbusters should recreate the accident with a realistic dummy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What causes the long chips? I used to cut steel alternator sliprings and they were always a long continuous string.

Incorrect feed rates/improperly ground tools. Sometimes it's just the material though. If I'm cutting something that won't break a good chip after fooling with feed rates and the tools, I will stop cutting just to break the chip. Mills aren't so bad about it, but lathes are and will hurt or kill you in an instant.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Machine tools can get you.   Not as bad as the topic pic.

This happened to me last year.  Had a 5 to 6 pound boss come out of a lathe.  The part missed me but it shoved the tool carriage. A handle on it caused this.  Crushed metacarpal behind my little finger.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Rotating equipment will reach out and grab anything loose.

Tail-rotor drive shafts love long hair.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]

wow.  and here i thought the pictures on the farm tractor forums were the worst.  an engine lathe vs a man turns out to be roughly the same as a 50HP 540RPM PTO shaft vs a man.  in both cases you need a snow shovel and a mop to clean up.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/safety/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Machine tools can get you. Not as bad as the topic pic.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/44386/2173513760103804567S600x600Q85.jpg

This happened to me last year. Had a 5 to 6 pound boss come out of a lathe. The part missed me but it shoved the tool carriage. A handle on it caused this. Crushed metacarpal behind my little finger.

Ever seen the results of an exploding grinding wheel?

Hope you healed up well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw a guy at my old work break a chuck that big on the same size of lathe and let me tell you when it broke it shook the whole building you could feel a deep thud through the floor concrete. I bet this machine that the guy died on didn't even slow down when it sucked him in just kept turning like nothing...

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's no lathing matter.

That joke only makes sense if you have no clue how the word 'lathe' and its derivatives are pronounced.

It's pretty retarded as a joke even if you have that clue since we are discussing someone who died.

Edit: its vs. it's...I know better....

Let's see, this is arfcom general discussion, do I really need to lathe it out for you?

As far as your rebuttle goes, you really lathed an egg.

Lathe off.

Haha! Nice.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I saw a guy at my old work break a chuck that big on the same size of lathe and let me tell you when it broke it shook the whole building you could feel a deep thud through the floor concrete. I bet this machine that the guy dies on didn't even slow down when it sucked him in just kept turning like nothing...

Until the carriage and cross slide hit the chuck, yep. After that happened, there were bad machine noises and probably some floor shaking.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#31]
For those debating on clicking the spoiler tag, asking for scale:

If you have to ask, do not click it.  Period.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This happened to me last year. Had a 5 to 6 pound boss come out of a lathe. The part missed me but it shoved the tool carriage. A handle on it caused this. Crushed metacarpal behind my little finger.

Hope you healed up well.

Heeled OK small loss of use..
I've been hit by chunks of grinding wheels.  I worked in a fab shop that made buckets and other attachments for heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#33]
He won't be making that mistake again.

Sad that someone lost a son dad husband etc.

That bothers me alot more than blood and guts pics.

I've worked around a ton of dangerous machinery as a union construction electrician .... there is no such thing as being too careful when you are working around shit like that. Momentary lapse is all it takes. There is no time or no way to undo a machine that gets ahold of ya'
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you healed up well.

I've been hit by chunks of grinding wheels. I worked in a fab shop that made buckets and other attachments for heavy equipment.

I worked with a guy that had a cup wheel on a tool post grinder explode in his face. Prominent scars all the way up one arm and his neck on that side. He said the doc told him it missed his jugular by a couple of millimeters.

Ring test your wheels and inspect mounted wheels carefully for cracks, folks.

Good to hear.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rotating equipment will reach out and grab anything loose.

Tail-rotor drive shafts love long hair.  

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/OH-58DGSMainttechLonghairnowhighand.jpg  

Bawahahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe next time he shouldn't wear a sweater and touch moving parts...

Damn straight.  Poor bastard.

I ALWAYS do the following when working with lathes and mills:

Take off key ring, badge chum, safety glasses chum, watch and any damn thing else hangin' on me.

Tuck in shirt TIGHT and cinche my belt.

I NEVER wear long sleeves, gloves, lab coats or aprons when operating lathes, mills, grinders, polishers, cutters, saws, surface grinders, etc.

Amen

My tee shirt got tangled up in the feed screw on my lathe. Darn near broke my arm when it ripped the shirt off my back. Boy that hurt
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]
You know....these pics don't freak me out nearly as much as degloving pics or the spiral cutter accident where it looks like the guy has curly fries of flesh hanging by a thread from every finger(bone) on his hand.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw a safety video several years ago with pics and video of industrial accidents, this was one of them. Among the others I remember were a drill press that ripped a arm off, coater of a paper machine deglove a guys arm from is shoulder to his fingertips, guy falling in a panel box and a few others. I would not want to call in the first report of injury and log it on the OSHA 300 on this one. I'm guessing this man got complacent in his job and stopped respecting the lathe this caused him to break the rule of not wearing loose fitting clothing around rotating machinery resulting in his death.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Loose clothing, I presume?

It was.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]

I worked with a guy that had a cup wheel on a tool post grinder explode in his face. Prominent scars all the way up one arm and his neck on that side. He said the doc told him it missed his jugular by a couple of millimeters.

Good to hear.[/quote]

Coworker brushed away chips from a 10 cutter on a mill .  He was wearing welding gloves and it got him.  He booked out of the shop to the ER.  He left the glove behind it was a chewed up mess.  He came back a couple of hours later with a finger wrapped.The lucky bastards glove came off and he barely got his ring finger, it was shortened by about an 1/8 of an inch.  I've worked around buckets that if they fell on someone the only way to clean it up would be with a mop.

Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#41]
One of my Machine Tool Technology instructors had a finger tip missing.  Those that can't do, teach.  

I'm so glad I'm a "mill guy" and not a "lathe guy".  Lathes scare the crap out of me.  I still have not clicked the spoiler.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw a guy at my old work break a chuck that big on the same size of lathe and let me tell you when it broke it shook the whole building you could feel a deep thud through the floor concrete. I bet this machine that the guy dies on didn't even slow down when it sucked him in just kept turning like nothing...

Until the carriage and cross slide hit the chuck, yep. After that happened, there were bad machine noises and probably some floor shaking.

When I was being taught how to use a lathe, my instructor told us that it will kill you and destroy itself faster then you can imagine/react if you do it wrong. I'm glad he did, already had a lot of fear for them and that makes me treat them with the respect it deserves.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you healed up well.

I've been hit by chunks of grinding wheels. I worked in a fab shop that made buckets and other attachments for heavy equipment.

Good to hear.

Ring test?
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you healed up well.

Good to hear.

Ring test?

stick a pencil/pen/whatever through the mounting hole and tap the edge of the wheel with something non metallic. You should hear a clear "ring". If you hear anything else, give that wheel the floor test so some poor guy doesn't try to use it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn. What in the fuck do you have to do to end up like that?
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Do not wear loose clothing near the what.... 24" spinning hunk of iron that will barely notice as it peals the skin off your body like it was rice paper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#47]
an engine lathe vs a man turns out to be roughly the same as a 50HP 540RPM PTO shaft vs a man. in both cases you need a snow shovel and a mop to clean up.

I remember several years ago, my dad borrowed a PTO powered log splitter from a friend of his to run off a Ford 3910 tractor.  For those who've never run this type of splitter, its simply a corkscrew style that basically drills into the log while holding it against a metal bar.  Once it threads far enough into the log, the log splits open.  Talk about a dangerous piece of equipment!!  I remember us hooking it up to the 3-pt hitch, all the while thinking to myself "damn, that does not look safe".  Not only was it dangerous, but it was some heavy work.  Every log had to be lifted and pushed against the screw, which is doing its best to grab the log (and you) to spin around.  I hated that contraption!  Horizontal and vertical hydraulic presses are infinitely safer and easier to use, and I refuse to even touch one now.  Hell, are they even still legal?
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Shit I bet the part was ruined
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I can't click the link at work, but I have a good idea of what the pic looks like.  Hell, I only have a small lathe (9x36", 120v), but I still treat it with the utmost respect.  Big lathes are nothing to play around with, and accidents can happen without warning!

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that the little 10x22 I have would crack a bone or tear off some skin if you got stupid with it and the belts were nice and snug.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#50]
A guy at work nearly/maybe lost his hand a month ago in a lathe.  He was polishing a metal shaft with crucus cloth wrapped around his fingers while wearing gloves.  The crocus cloth got caught, and pulled his fingers apart...

His coworkers looked for his fingers for a long few minutes, but hospital told us later on all his fingers were accounted for.  It really shook up the mechanics as the guy was a long time employee and fairly popular.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top