Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
One of my coworkers was a Recon sniper.

He couldn't tell me what rifle he used

He was in the Marines for two years

He was also sent to fat camp (BCP?)

wait, wut???  he claimed to be a marine recon sniper but was also a veteran of the pork chop platoon?

I actually think he might be the real thing!
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you scratch the monitor while wearing a uniform, you will have done more for the country than 90% of Americans.

No doubt about it.

Remind us what it is you do for the country again?

I'm an engineer working in R&D for the industry that drills all the holes that you see on this rock we are on.  We enable people to find water in places where it's not on the surface.  Oil.  Copper.  Gold.  Silver.  Iron.  Coal.  Cut roads through the earth.  Make the structural elements for buildings and bridges all over the earth.  Geothermal.  You name it.

Me and my team increases production for almost every piece of raw material you use in your civilian life or in your military life.  As I make products that make the mining of raw materials more efficient, the costs to the end user goes down, allowing our citizenry and our military to further mechanize at a low cost.

And that doesn't make me "better" than any of you.

The guy using our machines to scrape material off of an underground mine "does something" for this country.  The guy NOT using our machines to scrape material off of an underground mine "does something" for this country.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a tub of guts who works the counter at Cabela's in Reno who weighs at least 350 and is in his mid-60s who claims:

He was a Force Recon Sniper in Vietnam and went into Iran with the Delta Force in 1980 and was left behind so he had to fight his way across the desert into Iraq.
He has hundreds of confirmed kills in countries that don't even exist any more.
The Marine Corps sent him to Italy to inspect the manufacturing facilities of Uberti, Pietta, etc and he was given one of the original Walker Colt's that they reverse engineered to build the factory's tooling (I suspect this came about because I was buying an Uberti Replica Walker and he had to interject something to make conversation)
He retired after 15 years and did work as a mercenary in Africa and a bunch of places he is not allowed to talk about.
Ronnie Barrett gave him the first 50 caliber rifle that he built to use in Vietnam

Personally, I think someone who is a pathological liar of that degree should not be working around firearms.

If he'll lie, he'll steal.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fair enough.

The idea that someone who has no drive and no motivation, who joins up in the military because they have no life skills and feels like they have no other options and needed the signing bonus to pay off their sweet wheelz straight out of high school and then ends up doing a dead end, zombie ass job that we can ALMOST train a monkey to do, and they get PAID for pumping gas at a station at Camp Lejeune, NC "did more" than 90% of Americans is a steaming pile of bullshit.

Just to name an extreme example.

Wearing a uniform gets some respect if you do things that earn that respect.  But a military guy thumping his chest about how ANYONE wearing that uniform has somehow done more than 90% of Americans is just stupid.

If I had a scratch n sniff monitor, your post would smell like a used colostomy bag.

If you scratch the monitor while wearing a uniform, you will have done more for the country than 90% of Americans.

No doubt about it.

Why all the hate?  Did someone in the military fuck you over or something?

I hate how people try to make themselves feel more important than other people WHEN THEY HAVEN'T DONE SOMETHING TO DESERVE IT.  Which is kind of the topic of this thread...

So for someone here to claim that someone who pumps gas at a military station has "DONE MORE" than 90% of Americans is a retard statement that I take issue with.

The military in this country is ONLY strong because our economy has remained strong, thanks to the citizenry.  The military as we know it today wouldn't have the gas to pump if the citizens weren't strengthening the economy.  So on the contrary, a case COULD be made that the person filling tractor trailer tires with fuel has done as much for the country than the guy in Camp Lejeune refueling Humvees for training missions.

^ The above has NOTHING to do with sacrifices made my enlisted people or the risks they take.  Just the statement earlier that even the lowest level worker in uniform has "done more" than 90% of Americans.  Some of you seem to fail to realize that.

Sounds like you're mad about the accomplishments of those you hated in high school.

Thanks for taking credit for the fighting spirit of free Americans by virtue of your tax contribution. Ill likely thank one of the corporations that actually foot most of the bill instead for buying me nice things.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate how people try to make themselves feel more important than other people WHEN THEY HAVEN'T DONE SOMETHING TO DESERVE IT.  Which is kind of the topic of this thread...

So for someone here to claim that someone who pumps gas at a military station has "DONE MORE" than 90% of Americans is a retard statement that I take issue with.

The military in this country is ONLY strong because our economy has remained strong, thanks to the citizenry.  The military as we know it today wouldn't have the gas to pump if the citizens weren't strengthening the economy.  So on the contrary, a case COULD be made that the person filling tractor trailer tires with fuel has done as much for the country than the guy in Camp Lejeune refueling Humvees for training missions.

^ The above has NOTHING to do with sacrifices made my enlisted people or the risks they take.  Just the statement earlier that even the lowest level worker in uniform has "done more" than 90% of Americans.  Some of you seem to fail to realize that.

Sounds like you're mad about the accomplishments of those you hated in high school.

Thanks for taking credit for the fighting spirit of free Americans by virtue of your tax contribution. Ill likely thank one of the corporations that actually foot most of the bill instead for buying me nice things.

I can't keep up with the bullshit statements in this thread.

Good job twisting my words in your head to mean something entirely different.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never. The city I live in is about 25% military meaning that at any party there's likely to be enough folks there to call from any of the services - mostly Air Force and Marines but a few of us Navy and Army vets around too.

The bull shitters like safer non-military towns to try to fool the civilians.

When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in the late '90's I was in the Wal-Mart parking lot in town when a guy came walking up to me as I got out of my car.  He was wearing a hat that said, "SEAL TEAM" and asked me if I had any spare change.

He clearly noticed the look on my face as he talked to me because he went on to say, " .... and YES, I was a SEAL"!

Chris

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MaverickH1I hate how people try to make themselves feel more important than other people WHEN THEY HAVEN'T DONE SOMETHING TO DESERVE IT.  Which is kind of the topic of this thread...

I don't understand how you can separate the two. People that serve in their younger years go on to be part of the strong citizenry of which you speak. I would ascert that they do so with greater successes than those that do not serve. By successes I just mean attaining personal goals.

Edited personal remark.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's funny, I had a cabby in Asheville, NC tell me straight up " I was only in the Marines for two years, something went down."

I didn't ask.

Should have asked him, "What went down, you?"

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't understand how you can separate the two. People that serve in their younger years go on to be part of the strong citizenry of which you speak. I would ascert that they do so with greater successes than those that do not serve. By successes I just mean attaining personal goals.

Was your absent father military or something?

I almost thought "wow, a level headed response with a legit counter point", and then read the last part.

It's cute how you guys try to make this personal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost thought "wow, a level headed response with a legit counter point", and then read the last part.

Apologies, uncalled for.

I can understand if you had indifference for the process. You seem to have outright disdain for it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apologies, uncalled for.

I can understand if you had indifference for the process. You seem to have outright disdain for it.

My issue was with the quote, as well as the mentality behind it, that the lowest level person in the military has at the moment of service "done more" than 90% of the America's citizens.

To me, that is a slap in the face to almost every American in this country.  And to me, it's a military member believing himself to be better than other Americans.  Something I take great issue with.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to work as a driver manager with Swift Transportation.  I had one of my truck drivers tell me he served in Vietnam as a LRRP.  He said his Dad sent him his 12 gauge Remington 870 pump shotgun when he was in country.  The platoon armorer converted it to "fully automatic" and made a bunch of 50 round mags for it.  He ALWAYS walked point, and whenever they were ambushed he would open fire and dump a couple of the 50 round mags on full auto.  That would end the ambush.  He was a genuine hero and turned down all of his medals - he didn't want the attention.  He was serious when he told me this.

I lost a lot of respect for him - up to that point I liked him.

Brad

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apologies, uncalled for.

My issue was with the quote, as well as the mentality behind it, that the lowest level person in the military has at the moment of service "done more" than 90% of the America's citizens.

To me, that is a slap in the face to almost every American in this country.  And to me, it's a military member believing himself to be better than other Americans.  Something I take great issue with.

Voluntarily Serving country with honor during a time of war.

Tissues for your issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I see how it could be taken that way. I automatically color his comment with my own experience, as most people do, and see it moreso as being a part of the team. Even the most menial of jobs in the service in some way contributes to ultimate mission success. For those that start at the bottom and work for a lengthy period of time, we tend to be protective of having paid those dues. Seeing it as chest thumping may be the reality, but I wouldn't put it first.

If you tried to see it from the other side, how on earth would you motivate an 18 year old to do some of the nastiest and menial tasks out there? You make it known to them that what they do is important, as it truly is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see how it could be taken that way. I automatically color his comment with my own experience, as most people do, and see it moreso as being a part of the team. Even the most menial of jobs in the service in some way contributes to ultimate mission success. For those that start at the bottom and work for a lengthy period of time, we tend to be protective of having paid those dues. Seeing it as chest thumping may be the reality, but I wouldn't put it first.

If you tried to see it from the other side, how on earth would you motivate an 18 year old to do some of the nastiest and menial tasks out there? You make it known to them that what they do is important, as it truly is.

It is important.  That is not being argued by me.

The issue is that the "Operator" earlier wants to believe it to be more important than what 90% of Americans have ever done or ever will do.  It's interesting when someone claims to "Serve" and yet looks at those they "Serve" as being 90% worthless.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used to work as a driver manager with Swift Transportation.  I had one of my truck drivers tell me he served in Vietnam as a LRRP.  He said his Dad sent him his 12 gauge Remington 870 pump shotgun when he was in country.  The platoon armorer converted it to "fully automatic" and made a bunch of 50 round mags for it.  He ALWAYS walked point, and whenever they were ambushed he would open fire and dump a couple of the 50 round mags on full auto.  That would end the ambush.  He was a genuine hero and turned down all of his medals - he didn't want the attention.  He was serious when he told me this.

Brad

Damn, a full auto 870 pump action!!!!   That's some shit I'd like to see, not to mention the 50 round mag's.  That would be a heavy bitch for sure!..............and he humped a couple of reloads.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is that the "Operator" earlier wants to believe it to be more important than what 90% of Americans have ever done or ever will do.  It's interesting when someone claims to "Serve" and yet looks at those they "Serve" as being 90% worthless.

It's hard to argue that they aren't with some of the prevailing attitudes in society today. Apathy and just general douchey attitude are pervasive. Willful ignorance is celebrated and from a service member's standpoint, Joe Public knows dick about what is going on in our world.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's funny, but the real deal guys usually NEVER run their mouths.

There is a gentleman who belongs to the gun club I shoot at, and he has a Vietnam veteran license plate on his truck.  He wears an old, beat up, Marine cover.

It is actually kind of spooky watching this guy shoot.  He usually has an old German KAR-98 Mauser, and he can SHRED the ten ring of his target with that rifle at a great distance.

He is a quiet and soft spoken dude, but somebody taught this guy to shoot like you would not fucking believe.

I got to talking to him one day and he was telling me about his favorite ammunition and what not (some very old ammo, I think he said it was from 1938).

I never had the nerve to come out and ask him, but I am pretty sure he was a Marine sniper in Vietnam.  It's just a vibe I get from him.

The skill set of a sniper has more to do with range estimation, field craft, wind doping and other marksmanship skills.  Being a sniper is not equivalent to shooting out the x-ring, its about putting hits on target from various ranges, differing elevations, varying atmospheric conditions while shooting from field conditions, all while applying good tactical decisions.  There are plenty of real deal snipers who will not shoot a "tighter group" than many weekend range hobbyists.

I met  a guy that was claiming to be a sniper from vietnam. then he shot a prairie dog from 2075 yards with a mild crosswind.

With what?

lased jdam.

That's actually a real thing now.

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/missiles/jdam/docs/laser_jdam_overview.pdf
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who serves you? We're not fucking policemen. We serve the constitution.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brad

Damn, a full auto 870 pump action!!!!   That's some shit I'd like to see, not to mention the 50 round mag's.  That would be a heavy bitch for sure!..............and he humped a couple of reloads.

Funny thing is, he was short.  About 5' 4" tall.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt about it.

Remind us what it is you do for the country again?

I'm an engineer working in R&D for the industry that drills all the holes that you see on this rock we are on.  We enable people to find water in places where it's not on the surface.  Oil.  Copper.  Gold.  Silver.  Iron.  Coal.  Cut roads through the earth.  Make the structural elements for buildings and bridges all over the earth.  Geothermal.  You name it.

Me and my team increases production for almost every piece of raw material you use in your civilian life or in your military life.  As I make products that make the mining of raw materials more efficient, the costs to the end user goes down, allowing our citizenry and our military to further mechanize at a low cost.

And that doesn't make me "better" than any of you.

The guy using our machines to scrape material off of an underground mine "does something" for this country.  The guy NOT using our machines to scrape material off of an underground mine "does something" for this country.

And yet if any of your hole diggers or you in your engineering gig feel like moving to another job tomorrow, you can.  If the hole gets to be a little dangerous for your tastes tomorrow, you can quit and go get another job.  However even the lowliest cook in the military can get sent to a war zone, and he doesn't just get to tell the boss he can take his job and shove it if a rifle is suddenly thrust in his hands because the base is being overrun.

Nobody here is begging for your kudos or your approval, and nobody is saying that non-veterans are POSs or that they do nothing for the country.  Certainly anyone who pays taxes contributes something to the kitty.  But servicemen and women do that as well.  And on top of that they volunteer to serve, and these days it's likely they will do that in a very unsafe place.  

If in your terrible worldview the only ones who deserve your respect are the front line shooters or the Tier XYZ guys, then you A) have little to no understanding of how the military works, B) Probably play way too much COD and C) are just plain salty/jealous that the cook or admin pogue who returns home gets beers bought for him at the bar by total strangers while nobody strokes your nuts for saving the planet one stripmine at a time.

Get over yourself.  Our country values military and other first responder types and lifesavers because of the service they provide AND the sacrifices required to do those jobs, regardless of their rewards (military, firefighters, police, doctors, etc.)  
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]
can we just call a truce?  this went from funny to nasty real quick...

and not a single 13er was involved...
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
can we just call a truce?  this went from funny to nasty real quick...

and not a single 13er was involved...

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I run into these kind of guys on a regular basis in my line of work, but the thing that bothered me about these cats, is the fact that both of them had actually served in some capacity, and it was the first time I ever ran into multiple posers within hours of each other. Why the hell can't these guys just be proud be proud of their service, and not feel the need to embellish their background?

IMO, it's the current glamorization of specops and the COD mentality driving it.  I mean, it used to be that if you served in any capacity you should be proud of it.  I've run into plenty of old timers who had served in conflicts from WW2 to Korea and Nam who would proudly tell you they were a cook or motorpool or a deck ape or whatever, because back then I think there was more of a sense of anything you did to help, helped.  

But nowadays all the civvies think if you were in you must be John Rambo, and then if you tell them you were a cook you get "Oh" in response.  I think drives a lot of guys to say they did more.  Frankly, I think it's sad...they should be damn proud of what they did.  Not everybody can be a Detla RangerSEAL, and even if everyone COULD they'd still make most of them cooks because the military needs cooks too.  You signed, you served, be proud.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Couldn't read all 7 pages, but the "real deal" USMC vs Fallujah insurgents took place in Nov. 2004, not 1993.

I followed into Iraq in early 2005 and fought the survivors who moved up the Euphrates to Haditha.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tell people I'm a naval aviator with almost 300 missions over Afghanistan and I've taken out one aircraft.
Then I tell them I contract for the Navy as a UAV pilot and I crashed one of them

Shit, I've taken out way more aircraft than you.

Then again, a raven doesn't have any landing gear.

We had some of those guys share the flightline with us for a few months. They're hilarious when they crash

AUTOLAND!

Not one of the cool kids here.  Did get to shoot some fun guns and eight static line jumps (so far) which isn't common for a zoomie.  

I have one friend who makes claims of being a Scout Sniper in the Marine Corp (he was in 1994-1998). He is a really good shot, has the T-shirt, class photo, and certificate so I think he is verified. Also, made no claims of 1000 yard shots in high winds only 8 or 10 guys in the world could make.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I must be one of those rare mechanics (63B) nobody ever hears about, funny...I remember a barracks full of us.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#29]
A few months ago I met a 23 year old former Navy Colonel working construction on the highway. His story was that he had enlisted in the Army but because of his advanced skillz he was transfered to Seal Team 6 where after distinguishing himself fighting Al Qaeda he was awarded the congressional medal of honor and promoted to full colonel. Asked him why he was not still in and he said that he had gotten into a bar fight with a bunch of general's at a strip club and killed two of them so he got kicked out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A few months ago I met a 23 year old former Navy Colonel working construction on the highway. His story was that he had enlisted in the Army but because of his advanced skillz he was transfered to Seal Team 6 where after distinguishing himself fighting Al Qaeda he was awarded the congressional medal of honor and promoted to full colonel. Asked him why he was not still in and he said that he had gotten into a bar fight with a bunch of general's at a strip club and killed two of them so he got kicked out.

Pff. Let he who hasn't cast the first stone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its the sun man, cooks the Brain out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I was a training NCO in the unit  Det 4TH force recon, Reno Nevada. I was enlisted in the USMCR from 81 to 87. If I tell somebody that, I am sure they think I am a POS because everyone was/is in a recon unit. It does piss me off because I am proud of my service and I can't tell anybody about it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#33]
My DD-214 was redacted because I'm just that bad ass, man. Ask my mom. She'll tell you.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, that secret squirrel stuff is a funny thing.  There was another officer on my first ship that had a page in his service record that just said (in real big letters) "This officer must not be allowed to fall into the hands of the enemy."  All the Yeomen were atwitipated about that.  

I have no idea what the fuck he knew, or who was assigned to shoot him if there ever was a chance of capture by the Rooskies, but it must have been something real cool - he wasn't an Intel officer either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Hell, this guy has been posing as a US President:

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I worked with a guy who's buddy was in the Navy and said he just got in the 360 club. Supposedly in the middle of the night, he turned the ship slightly so nobody would notice, and made a complete circle. I've asked a couple people I've met and nobody has ever heard of this. Any Navy guys here ever heard this one?

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There are so many goddamn Vietnam posers that started popping up in the 80's, that I pretty much ignore anyone wearing anything that says Vietnam Vet on it. The bearded dip shits with the OG107 jungle jackets, adorned with patches and pins. The boonie hat, POW/MIA T-shirt wearing fat ass, the VVA guy with the biker looking leather vest. Most of them are completely full of shit. Rather, so many of them are, that I don't bother trying to guess anymore.

What is it with these guys? I knew plenty of WWII, and Korean War era vets, and a few WWI vets growing up. Not one of them wore that shit, or advertised their service for the world to see.

That is called " Fat Tuesday" at the VA. They have to get in the 4' wide wheel chairs with rotting Walmart sweat pants and their phony vests with all the scare patches and badges. It's hard to imagine how they went from lean and mean to a bloated whale. I think they have told their lies so much they start believing it. I earned my way into the VA but I feel conflicted when I see the place swarmed by these human wastes. I really don't want to go. A lot of this was started by OIF & OEF, these fuckers ran to the trough when we started coming back from multiple tours and they wanted some of the attention.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#38]
My brother tells me about how this guy at his work flew an A10 Warthog in the Army...

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Got to wonder where everyone hangs out to run into such people because curiously enough, I never have aside from one or two investigations when I was in. Of course, I am not a bar hopper or party animal, either.

People that I work around are often surprised to find out that I am a vet when I mention it but I don't know why it has never occurred to them. Maybe because of my youthful appearance, maybe because of what I do for fun, or perhaps the years of employing my dance moves into how I walk all the time really has obliterated my marching "signature".

Of course, a lot of people don't know that much about the military, anyhow, such as the time a co worker saw this

http://defense-update.com/images_large2/ns_ranvir.jpg

on my wall paper and asked if that was a ship I served on.

About the only people who assume that I currently do something "like that" are the people at the gun store where I shoot....but then again, they may just be polite....and trying to smooth my ego to drum up business.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

("SeCRET AGENT? On whose side?"--Sheriff J. W. Pepper, (w,stte), "Live and Let Die")

Which Aircraft Carrier did you tell them?

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I worked with a guy who's buddy was in the Navy and said he just got in the 360 club. Supposedly in the middle of the night, he turned the ship slightly so nobody would notice, and made a complete circle. I've asked a couple people I've met and nobody has ever heard of this. Any Navy guys here ever heard this one?  

I have heard bubbleheads talk about doing that.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Putting your inferiority complex and veteran envy aside for a second, you have some fundamental problems in this statement. The military does not serve you or any other citizen. We serve our country.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard bubbleheads talk about doing that.

I was a SWO and I heard about it. Never saw it done.

So many people would have to be asleep at the switch that to pull it off would be next to unthinkable.

- The OOD
- The JOOD
- The CICWO
- The TAO
- The QMOW
- The ASUW Coordinator
- The Lee Helmsman (who would be expected to say something about it)

No way, man, and heaven help the poor soul caught trying to pull that off....
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Got to wonder where everyone hangs out to run into such people because curiously enough, I never have aside from one or two investigations when I was in. Of course, I am not a bar hopper or party animal, either.

People that I work around are often surprised to find out that I am a vet when I mention it but I don't know why it has never occurred to them. Maybe because of my youthful appearance, maybe because of what I do for fun, or perhaps the years of employing my dance moves into how I walk all the time really has obliterated my marching "signature".

Of course, a lot of people don't know that much about the military, anyhow, such as the time a co worker saw this

About the only people who assume that I currently do something "like that" are the people at the gun store where I shoot....but then again, they may just be polite....and trying to smooth my ego to drum up business.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("SeCRET AGENT? On whose side?"--Sheriff J. W. Pepper, (w,stte), "Live and Let Die")

The one that flies the Oscar EW5894-E Super Phallus.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The one that flies the Oscar EW5894-E Super Phallus.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/473DF07C-F61B-41B5-ACEA-A2D7B4A562FE-16730-00001AE406F14CEE.jpg

"The Navy"

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I dated the daughter of  John Rotundo. He wrote charlie Rangers.

We talked a few times. I asked for the "special storis"  None to tell. Everything he did was in the book. Though it was really cool that I'd had 3 MOS's in the Corps, and was then in the AF.

I think I'm the only one who was ever in the AF reserve, and got out because they wouldnt let me deploy with a different unit.

I did do some pretty super secret squirrel stuff while I was in, mostly at 8th Comm or Base Telephone.
Really secret stuff like playing spades all day when it was rainign and nothing else to do. Or getting the line truck stuck on onslow beach.
But i cant talk about it, sno leopard made me sign an nda.

I personally loved working as an SP in the AF, (not my AFSC) and hearing the regualr SP's say they were basically Marine Infantry due to their training.  WOW, my 5811 training wasnt that hard core!

Great book, I once knew I guy who was just a bit behind them time wise in Vietnam.

My 7th Grade Texas History teacher, Mr. R. was the only mechanic in Vietnam I have to assume.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I worked with a guy who looked JUST like Jesse Ventura. A#1 first class bullshitter in EVERY aspect of his life.

He found out I was a veteran (95B, 3 years, just went to work every day) and immediately began to regail me with his BS....he was never actually IN the military, but his Navy SEAL buddies would take him along on missions because he was such a badass. Our boss, who was never in the military but was a bit of a mil-historian, and had a brother who was a career Marine heard this bullshit one to many times and fired him.

He went on to write a book and become a motivational speaker.....I shit you not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Had a guy that worked under me while in north Phoenix at Dick's Sporting Goods, this has been probably 5 years ago. This guy claimed to be active duty, that he had an arrangement with the upper management that he may have to be "off" for 2 to 3 weeks at a time to go take care of things for the .gov on a classified basis. Claimed a scar from a rotator cuff surgery was from shrapnel. Claimed to have osama bin laden in his cross hairs one night, called Bush on a satellite phone and Bush told him to stand down.
Other outrageous claims:
-Went to Cabela's and dropped $85k on two guns in the gun library
-Had a basement/safe room full of guns that he kept the firing pins out of ever since he had been falsely implicated in a high profile assassination attempt
-U.S. Forest Service has to section off several square miles for him when he wants to do his long range practice shoots.

After he quit at Dick's he went to work the gun counter at Cabela's

which Cabelas?
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Work with a guy who has "airborne training, and is ranger qualified". Constantly talks about shots he took at over a thousand yards with his 300 Remmington mag, had to hold over less than a foot, yadda yadda.
Guy is full of shit and is constantly called on it but he still sticks to his story.
He did go to Iraq, but with the National Guard as a Generator Mechanic.

Generator Mechanic, now that's what I call a poser story as I've never met one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#50]

That is either the most outrageous lie ever or very bad OPSEC.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top