Quoted:
So looking at the bottom right corner of the chart, is that the "carbine?"
View Quote

Really early prototype of one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

By the way, we won't be allowed to buy any of this for 20 years at least.
View Quote
Which is sad, because if they would sell it to civies the would get economies of scale, or surplus the old stocks of 5.56 to include parts and weapons kits

we would probably help offset a great deal of the cost by our own free will instead of taxes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before Yama raja and LRRP

Right?

I got that too  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All this, exactly, has been in arma 3 for a while. lol I find that amusing.
View Quote

No, that is a caseless rifle made by CMMG.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Short enough for in-grip pistol mag lol? Imagine shooting that fireball thrower
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Polymer, cased telescopes, polymer linked, belt fed ammo.
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ls61.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the bullets themselves don't look particularly aerodynamic

http://www.badcontroller.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/joker_notsureifserious.jpg

No, I guess I'm confused by what the fuck is in her right hand

Polymer, cased telescopes, polymer linked, belt fed ammo.
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ls61.jpg

Hell, it looks like the belt for the nerf machine gun my kid has, and that thing is awesome  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty damn cool
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Case is sealed so no sand in the case, and they use a push through system. No extraction and no angled feeding, technically it is a far superior feeding system that current small arms use.

One member here has used it and said it just runs, and runs...and runs some more. Not to mention polymer has "self lubricating" features.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't dirt get in the end of the casing? How well will those feed? Seems like they would cause feedway stoppages.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Case is sealed so no sand in the case, and they use a push through system. No extraction and no angled feeding, technically it is a far superior feeding system that current small arms use.

One member here has used it and said it just runs, and runs...and runs some more. Not to mention polymer has "self lubricating" features.

have they solved the heat exchange problem yet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't dirt get in the end of the casing? How well will those feed? Seems like they would cause feedway stoppages.

This

And

How well would it feed out of a magazine. You would need a shotgun style feed ramp but the actual mag would be thick as hell due to the casing. Looks like a .410 saga magazine might do it, but that means your trading bulk for weight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The member who tested them said they did thanks to the rotating,chamber not being a part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Messages portablegorrila.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If you think the carbine looks nifty (and who wouldn't?) it gets even niftier than the weight savings: because the chamber falls and the round is pushed in from the front, the barrel is actually a couple inches longer than it would appear to be in a traditional rifle that fires metallic-cased rounds.

Note the position of the ejection port versus the magazine.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, the polymer cases are insulators, instead of heat sinks.  They simply don't transmit heat into the firing chamber the way that brass cases do.  Since the chamber moves instead of the bolt, it's decoupled from the barrel, staying cool.  Plus, again with the insulator bit, the cases will insulate the powder even if the chamber heats up.

Of course, I'm not an engineer and I've also not heard of any of the prototypes being run through torture testing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What heat exchange problem are you referring to? The plastic cased telescoped rounds transmit very little heat to the chamber during firing and because the chamber is not attached to the barrel there is very little heat from the barrel (friction heat) transmitted to the chamber.

The caseless rounds do have heat problems and always will. Hopefully the caseless part of the program will get binned.

The plastic cased telescoped LMG is really an outstanding and novel design.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What heat exchange problem are you referring to? The plastic cased telescoped rounds transmit very little heat to the chamber during firing and because the chamber is not attached to the barrel there is very little heat from the barrel (friction heat) transmitted to the chamber.

The caseless rounds do have heat problems and always will. Hopefully the caseless part of the program will get binned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i was thinking of the caseless problem WRT lack of heat extraction (no ejected brass), but your point makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got that too  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before Yama raja and LRRP

Right?

I got that too  

LOL....................!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some of the heat in an AR comes from being rotated 22.5 degrees very quickly.

i was thinking of the caseless problem WRT lack of heat extraction (no ejected brass), but your point makes a lot of sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the heat in an AR comes from being rotated 22.5 degrees very quickly.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
As of 2012 they had a carbine action developed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm the guy that was part of the LSAT testing phase at Fort Benning. The 6.5 thing is news to me, but they were very much into adapting the technology into different calibers so I'm not surprised. Last I heard it was 5.56, 7.62 and .416 only. LRRP should be very happy to hear this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm the guy that was part of the LSAT testing phase at Fort Benning. The 6.5 thing is news to me, but they were very much into adapting the technology into different calibers so I'm not surprised. Last I heard it was 5.56, 7.62 and .416 only. LRRP should be very happy to hear this.
View Quote

Thanks for coming in. Any idea if the caseless 5.56 is larger than standard 5.56 OD wise?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for coming in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for coming in.

No problem.

I'm interested in the 6.5 version as a potential replacement for the 240/MK48. I know when I was a 240 gunner, I would have sucked miles of dick for a 15lb weapon rather than the 240.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No problem.

I'm interested in the 6.5 version as a potential replacement for the 240/MK48. I know when I was a 240 gunner, I would have sucked miles of dick for a 15lb weapon rather than the 240.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for coming in.

No problem.

Technically, couldn't 6.5 replace the M4, M249, and M240?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 1:22 it shows the action in operation. The experiment participant
said the swinging chamber was cool enough to touch.

Maybe someone who knows can say what the contributions to barrel heat are.

I found some uncited numbers from an old arf thread for the 30.06:

heat to cartridge case 131.0 calories 4.26 %
kinetic energy of bullet 885.3 calories 28.78 %
kinetic energy of gases 569.1 calories 18.50 %
heat to barrel 679.9 calories 22.10 %
heat to gases 598.6 calories 19.46 %
heat generated by friction 212.0 calories 6.89 %
Total 3075.9 calories

If the telescoped case really does act as an insulator presumably more
heat will be expended in the gases, some of which will be transferred
to the barrel. But if the chamber stays cool this isn't as much of
a problem.

Be interesting to see how they implement the action for the carbine.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for coming in.

No problem.

Probably but I can't see them dumping the 5.56 LSAT now that they've got it perfected. With talks of a carbine it looks like they must have dropped the M4 upper idea and opted for a whole new design instead.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Probably but I can't see them dumping the 5.56 LSAT now that they've got it perfected. With talks of a carbine it looks like they must have dropped the M4 upper idea and opted for a whole new design instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for coming in.

No problem.

I could live with a 5.56 LSAT LMG and Carbine, with a 6.5 M240 replacement. Would love to see a precision battle rifle running LSAT. Once this goes live the sky's the limit on gun designs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
^ Freedom boner intensifies
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#27]

I could live with a 5.56 LSAT LMG and Carbine, with a 6.5 M240 replacement. Would love to see a precision battle rifle running LSAT. Once this goes live the sky's the limit on gun designs.

Yep, I've stated all along that this technology won't reach it's potential until it hits the civilian market. Right now it's one small group of engineers making the decisions, once it hits the market, we'll have every company and the home tinkerers building all kinds of shit. Personally, I want a 7.62 version that'll push a 220gr projectile out at 3,250fps in a 5lb bolt rifle. Proof Research barrel and some other light weight goodies. Mountain elk rifle from the gods
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#28]
This looks awesome.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From what little I can find about the LSAT online, I think it has the potential to be a damn fine weapon.
View Quote

They say that about all of them. At first....
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what little I can find about the LSAT online, I think it has the potential to be a damn fine weapon.

XM8
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, I've stated all along that this technology won't reach it's potential until it hits the civilian market. Right now it's one small group of engineers making the decisions, once it hits the market, we'll have every company and the home tinkerers building all kinds of shit. Personally, I want a 7.62 version that'll push a 220gr projectile out at 3,250fps in a 5lb bolt rifle. Proof Research barrel and some other light weight goodies. Mountain elk rifle from the gods
View Quote

Not likely.

Who owns the Intelectual Property?

Whoever owns it, is the sole provider of the technology for 21 years. If it's the Government, they will not offer it to the civilian side.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a bit different.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not likely.

Whoever owns it, is the sole provider of the technology for 21 years. If it's the Government, they will not offer it to the civilian side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

Pretty sure it's Textron and AAI.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#34]
i have the wierdest boner.

yet one more reason to pull for nolo
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's in his right hand (bottom of pic).

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/c/images/2015/05/06/392992/size0.jpg

Cased Telescoped ammo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like more info on the 6.5 version.

Cased Telescoped ammo.

As for the rounds, program engineers designed new ones that are cased in a plastic-like substance, replacing the brass cartridges. This, she said, has resulted in a 39-percent reduction of ammo weight.

Read more here: http://www.thebayonet.com/2015/05/12/798651/new-light-machine-gun-m249-on.html#storylink=cpy

Nice!  They brought back Bakelite.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like more info on the 6.5 version.

Cased Telescoped ammo.

As for the rounds, program engineers designed new ones that are cased in a plastic-like substance, replacing the brass cartridges. This, she said, has resulted in a 39-percent reduction of ammo weight.

Read more here: http://www.thebayonet.com/2015/05/12/798651/new-light-machine-gun-m249-on.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.pica.army.mil/PicatinnyPublic/news/images/highlights/2010/caseless_ammo_web.jpg

Caseless was dropped.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
yea,that puts a crimp in my longterm reloading goals
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not likely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

It's AAI. It might take 21 years, but it'll get here eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if an ammo/weapon company made their own version and tweaked it enough to get around any copyright issues. Either way, the real innovation won't happen until it gets into civilian hands.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's AAI. It might take 21 years, but it'll get here eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if an ammo/weapon company made their own version and tweaked it enough to get around any copyright issues. Either way, the real innovation won't happen until it gets into civilian hands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

We may be running full LSAT weapons long before that if it is as close to fielding as you think.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We may be running full LSAT weapons long before that if it is as close to fielding as you think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

I think it'll still be a while. Probably 5-10 years before the LMG gets adopted and fully integrated. They'll probably figure out the other directions they want to go during that time and will take another 10 years to develop and integrate those systems. It'll take a while, but this is the replacement for current metallic cartridges. This is what we'll have until battery tech matures to the point of making man-portable laser or railguns possible.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

I agree. It would be foolish to keep this tech out of the consumer market.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

Even if they actively try to keep it out, after the patent expires it's free game correct?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Even if they actively try to keep it out, after the patent expires it's free game correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

Should be. When did this stuff get patented anyways?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

I think so. Unless congress bans the technology for commercial use. More importantly Gamers and commercial users would do more to quickly stream line the ammunition and weapons then R&D and the pentagon ever could.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I read the other thread as well, have a question for any engineering whizzes:

I would imagine that you COULD use some metallic reloadable case in place of the polymer one shots. Yes the weight comes back up and the chamber now gets hot, but it could be done so you could reload for one of these guns, no?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I read the other thread as well, have a question for any engineering whizzes:

I would imagine that you COULD use some metallic reloadable case in place of the polymer one shots. Yes the weight comes back up and the chamber now gets hot, but it could be done so you could reload for one of these guns, no?
View Quote

The different behavoir of the case material could be a problem. A given metallic case might "stick" more than this particular case. Also its expansion/contraction behavior will be different.

It might be possible to work it out, though.

One thing, however: If the plastic cases are cheap enough (and they could be), why reload at all? If you want to tailor loads for accuracy, use a virgin disposable case. Some could even be made with better traits for "match" ammo.

The real concern to me is finding out what they have done with the propellant, and if that is going to be out of reach for home loading...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely.

Yeah, 21 years later...

If the patents are all privately held (not Govt), then they might get licensed commercially. But if the Government has ANY stake in the IP, I could see them refusing any commercial licensing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#49]
in a prior thread you said:

Quoted:

Quoted:
***snip***

Pros-
unbelievably light, even with optics, lasers, grips, WMLs, can and ammo.
Select fire is a great option for CQB/MOUT.
Shorter than the 249, also less bulky and unwieldy. It's easy to fire off the shoulder like a rifle.
It has a fast rate of fire, and the recoil impulse is actually slightly forward and down instead of up and to the rear. This makes keeping it on target at long range very easy.
Super reliable, even with blanks.
The ammo uses standard 5.56 projectiles, but actually has a flatter trajectory than normal. At 350 meters we used the 200 meter hash mark on the ACOG to make hits.
It doesn't overheat unless you fire a fuckton of ammo due to the polymer cases not being nearly as conductive as brass cased ammo.
***snip***
View Quote

Meh. I'd be ok with that, but I'm just as happy with it being 5.56 with that extra bit of oomph. Other calibers will come once the concept has matured and hit the mainstream.
View Quote

what kind of velocities were you guys seeing w/ the 5.56 there?  extending out to 350 meters the drop you normally see at 200 meters, means that there was a good increase in scoot behind that bullet.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

what kind of velocities were you guys seeing w/ the 5.56 there?  extending out to 350 meters the drop you normally see at 200 meters, means that there was a good increase in scoot behind that bullet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
***snip***

Pros-
unbelievably light, even with optics, lasers, grips, WMLs, can and ammo.
Select fire is a great option for CQB/MOUT.
Shorter than the 249, also less bulky and unwieldy. It's easy to fire off the shoulder like a rifle.
It has a fast rate of fire, and the recoil impulse is actually slightly forward and down instead of up and to the rear. This makes keeping it on target at long range very easy.
Super reliable, even with blanks.
The ammo uses standard 5.56 projectiles, but actually has a flatter trajectory than normal. At 350 meters we used the 200 meter hash mark on the ACOG to make hits.
It doesn't overheat unless you fire a fuckton of ammo due to the polymer cases not being nearly as conductive as brass cased ammo.
***snip***

Meh. I'd be ok with that, but I'm just as happy with it being 5.56 with that extra bit of oomph. Other calibers will come once the concept has matured and hit the mainstream.

Could also be a height over bore difference messing with the BDC.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top