Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Im 43 and I watch the show in the morning here and there.  I remember watching it with my mom when I was a little kid.  My wife never saw the show till she met me....and she HATES it.  Only because she says it's so depressing. If it's not a main character, you know theu r going to die.  If it is a main character,  then someone they know is going to die.

I still say I'll watch that show 24/7 vs any of the crap that's on TV now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Little house on the Prairie was after the rural purge. It ran from the 70s into the early 80s. I don't really remember watching it. The Waltons ran during the same time period as Little House
View Quote

Both were regular viewing in our house
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Walk through old cemeteries; they are a testament to how hard life was. In Pitt County I saw one with 6 kids, two wives, and the husband over a span of 20 years. All the kids were less than 2 years old, two or three were under 1 year. Things we take for granted today were fatal back then.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was born in the depression and we were happy with didn't live in our heros time, Buffalo Bill.   Be GD glad we got what we got now because I remember my kids watching that show and telling them that was half as hard as it really was.
View Quote
You are AT LEAST 85 years old?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
We called it Prairie Fairies when I was a kid
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I hated that show when it was re-runned in the 80's. No way would I choose to watch it now.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember the episode where they had a bad winter and we're starving and the dad was going to shoot the mule or horse for food but a native fellow brought them a deer or antelope. I think that's the only episode I have ever watched.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My favorite was the one where the boy got hooked on drugs. If my memory serves me, there was this scene where he was basically being held captive to recover from the addiction. He was sick as shit, puked, and the camera is on him violently shaking with spit and a chunk of puke on his lip. I wouldn't take a fuckin Tylenol after seeing that.
View Quote

He must have taken too much cough medicine. Back in those days it had heroin in it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Don’t forget watching your kids going blind and deaf, children orphaned by freak accidents, indigenous peoples forced off their homeland, brutal winters

But there was always the Christmas special

My great-great-grandfather was struck deaf by a childhood fever. He ended-up receiving a scholarship to attend a teaching school for the blind and deaf for which he was obligated to travel the country teaching deaf and blind children functional communication skills. He did that in the 1840s and 1850s and also became an advocate for abolition. He kept a very detailed journal and I have a copy of it. The original is on display at the Renssaeler School for the Deaf and Blind.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I watched the first show when it came out. It was so drippy Walton like I never watched it again. I still won't.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Some of my family lived in a "soddie" in Kansas before moving on to California.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My parents were children of the depression and they were tough, resourceful and frugal survivors . I think that  Americans today  are obviously weaker in many ways than our forefathers.  I believe we will not survive our next world war.
View Quote

Mine also. Parents and Grandparents grew up picking cotton and stacking peanuts before combines were invented. I had to crop tobacco and load watermelons and cantaloupes. Picked cotton once.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mine also. Parents and Grandparents grew up picking cotton and stacking peanuts before combines were invented. I had to crop tobacco and load watermelons and cantaloupes. Picked cotton once.
View Quote

My grandpa and great uncle grew up on a tobacco farm. Mule & plow. Uncle Joe kept at farming & grandpa went to war.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My mom grew up in the 1920s just a few miles up the road from LHONTP. Her dad died when she was little.
View Quote

My parents grew up in the 20’s. A lot of families around them lost a baby to illness or during birth. I mad sure my kids knew their grandparents grew up in a third world environment.

Outhouses, hunting/foraging:subsistence farming, no running water. Limited electricity until the mid-late 30’s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]

I always thought they left out an essential part in the show as back then it was common for women to be pregnant for 20 years and crank out 8-12 kids, have a few miscarriages, and die themselves during childbirth. Shoulda been a lot more sex scenes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was born in the depression and we were happy with didn't live in our heros time, Buffalo Bill.   Be GD glad we got what we got now because I remember my kids watching that show and telling them that was half as hard as it really was.
View Quote

My mom is 92 and grew up in the Great Depression. Grandpa worked for Firestone and bought a 32-acre farm. They worked their asses off to survive. They grew vegetables for themselves and to help others in need. They were too busy for all the BS drama of the Waltons.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Didn't the daughter marry a guy from northern Wisconsin and write about his childhood or am I mixing things up? Hopefully I'm not stirring in The Great Brain or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the books.  We did, as a family, read them aloud while sitting outside in the winter in front of a fire.

Didn't the daughter marry a guy from northern Wisconsin and write about his childhood or am I mixing things up? Hopefully I'm not stirring in The Great Brain or something.

Yes, that one was called Farmer Boy and it was indeed about Almanzo Wilder's childhood. I didn't read all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book but that one was my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#19]
It wasn't easy back then and folk had to harden the fuck up to survive. Folk who dealt with that and folk who immediately adjacent to it understand it and that is one reason why they have so much contempt for modern day whiners who keep explaining why they can't do shit.
We have it so damn easy now days. We are still living in the glory days.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't forget Mary going blind.
Unlike the TV series she didn't get married or become a teacher.
One of the boys died less than a year old.

View Quote

Death before 1 year old was not uncommon. When I was born, the doctor told Mom I would never live to be a year old. Mom did everything she could to make a liar out of him. Thank God she succeeded.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The books were more depressing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Say what you want, but the actress (Karen Grassle) that played the mom was very attractive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's pretty much how the books were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A more realistic version would probably be worse.

That's pretty much how the books were.

People here pine for the "better days of old".

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2/10) Movie CLIP - Ways to Die (2014) HD

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The worst part of the entire series was this bitch alive at the end of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/506899/bitch-3223790.jpg
View Quote

Hahaha. Hated that bitch. We had a cousin that looked and acted just like her.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He had a creek full of leaches!  What more could a man ask for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was never a regular show for me, but I remember an episode with Pa plowing his fields with a broken rib. I wondered what happened to his "right" to healthcare.

He had a creek full of leaches!  What more could a man ask for?

Riparian pharmacopoeia - awesome!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My parents were children of the depression and they were tough, resourceful and frugal survivors . I think that  Americans today  are obviously weaker in many ways than our forefathers.  I believe we will not survive our next world war.
View Quote

If we had another Great Depression, I don't think most would survive. They would all starve or blow their brains out. Imagine 25+% unemployment. Many would kill to keep their jobs. My grandpa told me about the fights that would break out where he worked. The loser was laid off. Millions stood in line for a loaf of bread or a bowl of soup. It was brutal to come home and face a starving family. You did what you had to do to survive. A lot of people could not afford to see a doctor much less the funeral. The other side of my family had a small plot of their farm as a family cemetery. Today, it is part of Quail Hollow State Park in Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Might have to watch it for nostalgia.  

I don’t remember much about it except at church they always sang that “bringing in the sheeves” song. As a kid I thought they were saying ‘cheese’.  Had no idea this was something about harvesting grain crops.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]
My family rented for years off the actresses that played Carrie Ingles. They were cool, their mom who controlled the finances was batshit crazy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think you all are missing the main point, which is what good people should do in difficult times.  We sit here, now, in great comfort and affluence and mock the pioneers that built this civilization from nothing. Goodness is easy when things are comfortable, but how is that praiseworthy?

I own the whole series on DVD and also the books as part of my Western Civilization library.
View Quote

Every "civilization" has their achievements that usually improve upon the hardships they confronted and it's relative to the culture. It's really not that unique. They didn't do anything really special that others who settled other regions around the globe did and mocked (and worse) the indigenous inhabitants that they displaced while doing it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#30]
This week on Little House on The Prairie

1) A tornado sweeps in close to the town, showering it with rabid badgers that it had sucked up from a nearby forest , causing mayhem and death.

2) Pa finds work building a sluice gate at the town's resevior, but the gate fails, flooding the town and causing mayhem and death.

3) Hobos from the city find their way into town, which leads to a TB outbreak and causing mayhem and death.

4) Nothing uplifting happens.

5) Mayhem and death, everybody you like on the show dies, leaving only the evil characters you hate.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Life use to be really tough.  Unfortunately we've failed to learn from our elders.  Life will be tough again.  Maybe sooner than later.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, that one was called Farmer Boy and it was indeed about Almanzo Wilder's childhood. I didn't read all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book but that one was my favorite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the books.  We did, as a family, read them aloud while sitting outside in the winter in front of a fire.

Thank you! I really enjoyed that one, particularly their logging work. I think I read most of the books but only saw like 2 episodes; didn't her Dad put a blanket in the otherwise open door frame once because he was worried about bears?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I think it's amazing that the sweet & pretty Melissa Gilbert is the sister of the ugly & mean girl on the Rosanne show.  They are probably similar personalities in real life.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Go to a cemetery from that era.  Lots of kids graves. People today have very little appreciation for how good we have it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Life use to be really tough.  Unfortunately we've failed to learn from our elders.  Life will be tough again.  Maybe sooner than later.
View Quote

Life has been TOO easy and decadent for many years. Good times create weak men, who create hard times.

When there are no more basic challenges to face (food, national security, basic health and prosperity), certain people find things to be butthurt about and create conflict. We call these people Communists. And division is their game.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't forget Mary going blind.
Unlike the TV series she didn't get married or become a teacher.
One of the boys died less than a year old.

View Quote

Lots of kids died early.  That was the primary driver of shorter life expectancy back then.  A walk through the older section of a cemetery in a prairie town is an eye opener.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He must have taken too much cough medicine. Back in those days it had heroin in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My favorite was the one where the boy got hooked on drugs. If my memory serves me, there was this scene where he was basically being held captive to recover from the addiction. He was sick as shit, puked, and the camera is on him violently shaking with spit and a chunk of puke on his lip. I wouldn't take a fuckin Tylenol after seeing that.

I think you mean it had opium in it because the useful synthesis of heroin was not until 1897 by Felix Hoffman when Laura Ingalls Wilder would have been 30 years old.

The version with opium in alcohol called laudanum was in fairly widespread use during the period that covered Wilder's books.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The books were more depressing.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#39]
We’re probably halfway through our third(?) trip through the entire series with our kids.

We live on a farm. Our kids helped building a livestock shelter yesterday then cooled off with an evening swim in the pond. LHotP resonates with us, especially with my kids.

Last night we watched the episode with Johnny and June Cash.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Like was rough in the old west. Haven't you ever played Oregon Trail. Lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

WOW!

We were being psyop’ed even back then.

View Quote

Always have. Film and media has always been used that way
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Didn't Laura's husband Zaldamo die too?
View Quote

Almanzo - no. Got real sick but didn’t die.

Read The Long Winter book of the series. You can easily ready between the lines. Town nearly starved.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Say what you want, but the actress (Karen Grassle) that played the mom was very attractive.
View Quote

Possibly the most attractive *character* ever on tv.

A pretty lady who played a good wife.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Laura wrote a book about her husband, who grew up in New York State and then MN. It’s called Farmer Boy. He moved to MN after the time depicted in the book.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think you all are missing the main point, which is what good people should do in difficult times.  We sit here, now, in great comfort and affluence and mock the pioneers that built this civilization from nothing. Goodness is easy when things are comfortable, but how is that praiseworthy?

I own the whole series on DVD and also the books as part of my Western Civilization library.
View Quote

Extremely tiny local government. Citizens handled their own problems whether crime or disease or tragedy. People minded their own business. People looked out for each other.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Might have to watch it for nostalgia.  

I don’t remember much about it except at church they always sang that “bringing in the sheeves” song. As a kid I thought they were saying ‘cheese’.  Had no idea this was something about harvesting grain crops.
View Quote

The church was the worst part of the show. TERRIBLE humanistic sub-biblical theology.

I love the show but cringe at the theology taught within it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The worst part of the entire series was this bitch alive at the end of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/506899/bitch-3223790.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, her and her insufferable mother. My wife watches the show in rerun on ME TV. I always flash back to the original airing wondering how somebody didn't take both of those miserable creatures out.

The mother's voice was like nails on a blackboard to me. Screeching harpy.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought Almonzo grew up in NY somewhere?

I'd like to believe if I lived back then I'd understand the value of an established community and work to make it better instead of heading off into an inhospitable wilderness.  Think how much easier their lives would have been if they just waited a few more decades before trying to live there?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:n

She's still around, too. Just did some interviews not all that long ago.

She's not as old as the guy who poster earlier who was born during the depression, but she's getting close.

Kinda reminds me, has anyone seen Him post in a while.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Never watched the show, but read all the books.

I remember them moving around somewhat often but I don’t ever recall pa being a perpetual fuck-up. I do recall when he built the house while they were living in the dugout and he leveraged his crop against it all the materials and the crop failed.

But it’s been 30 years ago.

The story about the fever that had them all bedridden and the “jabbering”. And when they could hear the Indians doing their war dance for nights on end.

As others have said, go take a walk through a cemetery of that era. Once you got past 5-6 you were probably ok and would live into your 80s.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top