Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/21/2023 4:50:35 PM EDT
Troubling new research suggests doctors and caregivers alike should be having far more stern conversations with older adults dealing with cognitive impairment when it comes to their driving habits. Scientists at the University of Michigan report most older adults with signs of cognitive impairment continue to drive, even when the people in their lives voice concerns.

These conclusions are based on an analysis of over 600 adults more than 65 years-old in Nueces County, Texas, all of whom had cognitive assessment scores indicating at least a likelihood of impairment. Among those with cognitive impairment, 61.4 percent were still driving on a regular basis. Moreover, roughly one-third of all caregivers expressed concerns about their care recipient driving.

rest of the story

I stopped my mom from driving 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the middle aged asian female drivers I worry about.

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
We have one that owns a corvette and runs the country (into the ground admittedly)
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I know a 89 year old guy that drives just fine..
I also know 20 year olds that couldn't drive a nail, let alone a car.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Troubling new research suggests doctors and caregivers alike should be having far more stern conversations with older adults dealing with cognitive impairment when it comes to their driving habits. Scientists at the University of Michigan report most older adults with signs of cognitive impairment continue to drive, even when the people in their lives voice concerns.

These conclusions are based on an analysis of over 600 adults more than 65 years-old in Nueces County, Texas, all of whom had cognitive assessment scores indicating at least a likelihood of impairment. Among those with cognitive impairment, 61.4 percent were still driving on a regular basis. Moreover, roughly one-third of all caregivers expressed concerns about their care recipient driving.

rest of the story

View Quote

How about subjective measurements of cognitive ability to keep and bear arms?
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
See it plenty down here. I’m more worried about third worlders and illegals.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, great sample size.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A piece of shit older driver destroyed my car and broke plenty of my bones a few years ago.  She actually told me that "with my cataracts, I can't see well when its sunny, so I just creep out a little at a time".

As far as I'm concerned, we need driving road tests every 5 or 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A piece of shit older driver destroyed my car and broke plenty of my bones a few years ago.  She actually told me that "with my cataracts, I can't see well when its sunny, so I just creep out a little at a time".

As far as I'm concerned, we need driving road tests every 5 or 10 years.
View Quote

Simply from a medical perspective, past a certain age (65 would be a decent start), driving recertification should be a thing, AND become more frequent with advancing age. By 70, it should be yearly (eyesight, reflexes, cognition all show degradation in the majority of the age demographic by then).

As is commonly the case though, "Rules for thee, but not for me".

Lawmakers tend to favor rules/laws that don't/won't affect themselves, and age-based recertification would affect everyone who lives that long (and many lawmakers would immediately be subject to it, upon passing).
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a 96-year-old man crash into a railroad crossing gate and die a few months ago locally.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Old people vote like a mother fucker so nothing will change
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Driver/license test/renewal every year after age 60.

I have much respect for my elders, but many of them have no business being behind the wheel on a public road.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
My doctor told me I should spend less time on the road so I drive faster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
This is why I pick up hitchhikers and have them drive for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll get my keys from my warm dead hands!
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Article is about drivers with cognitive impairment, not those who are merely old.

Also, apparently I’m not in before false parallels drawn between young, inexperienced drivers and elderly drivers with declining cognitive abilities, motor skills, and senses.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Old folks should stay home during commute hours for everyone's safety.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
You should be road tested anytime you renew your drivers license.

Regardless of age.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Op there's always going to be "troubling new research".
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

rest of the story

View Quote

The double standards on ARF are mind numbing.

In my area I see incredibly stupid drivers everyday.

They are almost always young women/girls and when their not they are young men/ boys .

How many of you elder haters think we should take ur teenagers driving rights away or test them every year ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen more illegals causing accidents in my AO then they get out and run away. They killed entire families also. One call an illegal driving a dump truck on a fake ID with a driver's license attained illegal by identity theft killed a grandmother her daughter and her teen granddaughter. took hours to cut them out of car. The only reason he did not run is because he broke his leg.

My gear got so bloody I had to turn it in and get issued new bunker gear. Now this is in my area where not to far away is little Mexico.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
This is where autonomous driving will make a big difference
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They are almost always young women/girls and when their not they are young men/ boys .

How many of you elder haters think we should take ur teenagers driving rights away or test them every year ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

rest of the story

Immaturity and inexperience are just as, or even more dangerous (hence the higher insurance rates for young drivers).
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How about subjective measurements of cognitive ability to keep and bear arms?
View Quote

Use the same medical people that brought the plandemic,it's cure and all the masks,shutdowns,and supply chain crash.

Ya gotta trust that science baby.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Good, keeps everyone else driving defensively
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

C’mon MVIS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
A 21yr old girl just totaled not only her car but both my neighbor's cars the other night at 02:30 am, she lied about going and getting cigarettes and ended up at a bar instead. No insurance and no current license. Of course, her mom wants to sue the bar for serving her daughter.

I see bad drivers every day that drive around with no clue on where they are going, randomly shifting lanes going under the speed limits in the left lane, braking going into tunnels. They range from both male and females from 16 to 80's. I am more concerned with your average American blown out on prescribed medications rolling down the highway at 70 mph.

Oh, and let's not talk about the amount of weed I smell in traffic every day, put hey weed doesn't make you high or impair your abilities to react or make critical discissions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Not new news to me..
I've been witnessing older drivers with challenges for many years. Dangerous drivers are everywhere. They love Florida and gravitate here..
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Electronics impairment is far more worrisome and widespread both.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep and they all circle Batesville, AR from the hours of 7:30 am - 7:00 pm daily.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol I am still asleep during morning commute times.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]
So they only ran the test on those 65 and older.  Let's do it again with all drivers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. This isn't an EV thread thing, lane assist/alerting and dynamic cruise control is in most new vehicles and makes a huge difference. Blind spot indicators in mirrors are another help. That said, I watch wham bam tesla cam youtube channel and good God there are a lot of road ragers and the "brake checkers" who constantly mess with other drivers. No amount of this tech is going to help with literal crazy people.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Starting to worry about my dad's driving.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#36]
We suspend peoples licenses for dipshit things like falling behind on your child support.

Then there’s people who get in accidents every year and their license is just fine.

I would start there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#37]
.10 BAC is equivalent to driving at age 70 one study found.  Read this years ago, wish I could find the source again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
.10 BAC is equivalent to driving at age 70 one study found.  Read this years ago, wish I could find the source again.
View Quote

Agree completely. It is fashionable to go after BAC but not anything else with the same or worse impact…..dehydrated, heat exhaustion, any number of medical conditions, old age, dementia….nobody wants to touch that shit.

Start yanking licenses! We are working on getting a doc to force the issue with my 84 year old father in law. He is over due.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Reporters should ask if Biden can drive a car.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#40]
On one hand, I have a 89 year old grandpa with his dilation eye drop shades on over his glasses trying to get home before dark and the big Matlock marathon.

On the other hand, I have 19 year old Becky in her beater Altima jamming out to her favorite tunes while endlessly grabbing for the vape she dropped between her feet and finger banging her phone while she should be driving.

I'm torn on this one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#41]
After a certain age, there should be some sort of testing done like every 6mo.  

My parents 92yo neighbor had dementia and still drove regularly. Her kids finally took the keys away when she like crossed a centerline and ran over a mailbox and a cat. Before that, she’d routinely go driving and get lost and require someone to come and get her.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#42]
It takes surprisingly little human to drive a car, which really makes the automated car guys who keep failing at it mad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

It is far too easy to get (and keep) a license in this country.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, this guy is still driving and also in charge of our country...

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Electronics impairment is far more worrisome and widespread both.
View Quote

You're 100% right. People just can't put that damn phone down while driving. Many times I've sit at traffic lights and they turn green and the dumbass just sit there....texting. blow horn and they flip you off. But not once did I ever think of shooting them because they flipped me off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your whining doesn't affect the problem at hand, which is elderly drivers who are not safe to drive. Yeah, there should be regular, hands on driving tests as we get older. All of us.

Bad or unskilled younger drivers is another issue. Start a post on it if you want. But your argument of, "yeah, but other people are doing other stuff" adds nothing and is a weak argument.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Simply from a medical perspective, past a certain age (65 would be a decent start), driving recertification should be a thing, AND become more frequent with advancing age. By 70, it should be yearly (eyesight, reflexes, cognition all show degradation in the majority of the age demographic by then).

As is commonly the case though, "Rules for thee, but not for me".

Lawmakers tend to favor rules/laws that don't/won't affect themselves, and age-based recertification would affect everyone who lives that long (and many lawmakers would immediately be subject to it, upon passing).
View Quote
Politicians are also loath to do anything that might upset the AARP. This self-serving organizations doesn't do anything meaningful to address the problem of old, cognitively impaired drivers. They just screech if anyone suggests it might be necessary.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Older impaired drivers, younger drivers high on marijuana, anyone impaired because of alcohol or prescription drugs, distracted drivers talking or texting on their phone, or people who are sleep deprived...no wonder the roads are so dangerous.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 50% of the drivers on the road would fit into one or more of the above categories..  

Sleep deprived older driver on RX drugs that further impair them, probably think they are fine to drive because they haven't been drinking.  Same thing for people in other categories..pick a couple and fit in your friends.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#49]
In Kalif, they make anyone over 70 take the written test. I know some 70+ people can't pass.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Your whining doesn't affect the problem at hand, which is elderly drivers who are not safe to drive. Yeah, there should be regular, hands on driving tests as we get older. All of us.

Bad or unskilled younger drivers is another issue. Start a post on it if you want. But your argument of, "yeah, but other people are doing other stuff" adds nothing and is a weak argument.
View Quote

How do you figure this.  They are the same thing and in both cases it should be addressed on a case by case basis. Not some stupid ass blanket BS policy. I've ran alot of accidents in my career. There is no one age difference that I can remember that was more prevalent. 85% was distracted, DUI or driving to fast for weather conditions. Bad driving is bad driving no matter what age they are. You can not include one without including them all and yes we can talk about all bad drivers not just older ones.

As far as age again goes. Case by case basis. As far as teen driving I'm up in the air about. Most are just plain reckless driving. But this post is absolutely singling out older drivers because of some deep seat hatred of older Americans and believing they are all the same. They aren't

But by all means if you have family members who become too incapacitated to drive due to age, illness ect then by all means pursue measures to take away they're driving privileges. My bil got brain cancer and we did it and he was only 67 when he died. Also here in Florida once you reach a certain age your DL must be renewed ever 6 instead of 8 years also you must have vision testing done to renew.

The only real thing some not all older drivers do mostly is drive to darn slow sometimes. I've seen younger and middle aged people get pissed about this and try to run the older driver off the road by cutting them off and or braking on them. But then again dumbass tourist do the samething. Tourist have stopped dead in the middle of the rd and backed up because they missed a turn. Plus don't even get me started on illegal aliens driving and killing people.

But older people are the only ones that need to lose their privileges on a case by case basis. This is a BS biased based post. Why don't people just say once someone reaches a certain just take them out back and blow their brains out. Oh I've seen posts insinuating this being done because once you reach a certain age your a burden on society. After hundreds of thousands of years human are regressing instead of advancing
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top