User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this one of those threads where people bitch about capitalism and copyright laws because they were stopped from getting free shit?
View Quote

Well, to some.. copyright laws and capitalism are like an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Go buy a concert ticket and read it. It will clearly say that all images of the show belong to X, with X being either the venue, producer, or band. You can't steal something that you already own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me.  I just found it ironic that they'd complain about copyright laws & theft, but then do it themselves.

As for wanting their music for free... I have none of theirs to begin with anyway. *shrug*

Go buy a concert ticket and read it. It will clearly say that all images of the show belong to X, with X being either the venue, producer, or band. You can't steal something that you already own.

Interesting, so if I sell a few pictures from the concert they can come after me?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me.  I just found it ironic that they'd complain about copyright laws & theft, but then do it themselves.

As for wanting their music for free... I have none of theirs to begin with anyway. *shrug*
View Quote

View Quote

Interesting, so if I sell a few pictures from the concert they can come after me?
View Quote

They won't bother unless you make an ass of yourself, but they can.

Hollywoodshooter: I shot film and video for years, as well as ran a photo studio/lab, and filed numerous of my own copyrights.

Back to form PA:

Use Form PA for registration of published or un­published works of the performing arts. This class includes works prepared for the purpose of being “performed” directly before an audience or indirectly “by means of any device or process.” Works of the performing arts include: (1) musical works, including any accompanying words; (2) dramatic works, in­cluding any accompanying music; (3) pantomimes and choreographic works; and (4) motion pictures and other audiovisual works.
View Quote

The whole show - the performance - is the copyrighted material. That includes the staging, lighting, costumes, effects, movements of the performers, everything. A photo of the performance is "any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted." In the Samuel French/Neil Simon thing, Samuel French revoked their right to perform the play because the script said fuck nine times and a community theater removed that word because they felt it was inappropriate for their audience. That's how tight this stuff is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hollywoodshooter: I shot film and video for years, as well as ran a photo studio/lab, and filed numerous of my own copyrights.

Back to form PA:

The whole show - the performance - is the copyrighted material. That includes the staging, lighting, costumes, effects, movements of the performers, everything. A photo of the performance is "any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted." In the Samuel French/Neil Simon thing, Samuel French revoked their right to perform the play because the script said fuck nine times and a community theater removed that word because they felt it was inappropriate for their audience. That's how tight this stuff is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Back to form PA:

I was just reading this:
http://www.lextechnologiae.com/2010/11/01/live-broadcasts-and-performances-arent-per-se-copyrightable-revisting-the-fixation-requirement/

Live broadcasts and performances do not meet the fixation requirement
A live broadcast of an event sends the audio out into the atmosphere as radio waves.  These waves continue out into space and grow weaker in
power over distance.  They are not permanent or stable, nor do they
permit the work to be communicated for more than transitory period.  The
requirements of fixation cannot be met by live broadcasts of events
such as baseball or football games.
Similarly, live performances do not meet the fixation requirement.  If I perform a new, un-written, free-form poem at a coffee house poetry
slam, or perform a new song created in the moment at a concert, I do not
have a copyright in that work.  These works have not been fixed in a
tangible medium; they are ephemeral, just like my conversations with
neighbors on the street.

and this:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4428720648/musicphotographyboycott

If the musician already owned the copyright to the photograph, why would they need the photographer to sign a contract giving them rights to the photo?  It's because they don't own the rights to the photos and are trying to pressure the photographers to sign by restricting access.

I'll give another example...If you go to a major league baseball game...surely the teams logo on their uniforms is copyrighted.  If I take a photo of a member of the team playing the game, that includes the uniform and logo, is that photo owned by the team because elements of the photo (the logo) are derivative of the teams copyright, or does the photographer who created the photo own the copyright to the photo?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still pissed at them for ruining Napster.   I have never bought another thing to make Metallica money. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm still pissed at them for ruining Napster.   I have never bought another thing to make Metallica money. 
View Quote

Sorry they ruined your illegal FSA piracy platform.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

If anything it did the complete opposite for me,  I bought more albums from being exposed to it on Napster than from anywhere else.

It was a great outlet of exposure.  And all I heard was Lars whining about not being rich enough.  

It wasn't about free shit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its only FSA when the benefactorsare not white.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If anything it did the complete opposite for me,  I bought more albums from being exposed to it on Napster than from anywhere else.

It was a great outlet of exposure.  And all I heard was Lars whining about not being rich enough.  

View Quote

I totally believe you bro. Totally.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're on private property when at a concert and by paying for a ticket I'm sure you're agreeing to a bunch of legal shit.

I don't see how Metallicas lawyers wouldn't have this all already covered where any images taken at the concert belong to them.
View Quote

Nope. and all rights reside with the creator of the image. In this case, Metallica is on the losing side.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
One of my favorite parody videos of all time...

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Super common popular pose. The two pics are different and its a PHOTO of him at one of his concerts on private property. I dont see how this is in anyway news let alone a viable law suit.

It is a waste of electricity and bandwidth tho
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was just reading this:
http://www.lextechnologiae.com/2010/11/01/live-broadcasts-and-performances-arent-per-se-copyrightable-revisting-the-fixation-requirement/

and this:

If the musician already owned the copyright to the photograph, why would they need the photographer to sign a contract giving them rights to the photo?  It's because they don't own the rights to the photos and are trying to pressure the photographers to sign by restricting access.

I'll give another example...If you go to a major league baseball game...surely the teams logo on their uniforms is copyrighted.  If I take a photo of a member of the team playing the game, that includes the uniform and logo, is that photo owned by the team because elements of the photo (the logo) are derivative of the teams copyright, or does the photographer who created the photo own the copyright to the photo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to form PA:

I was just reading this:

Live broadcasts and performances do not meet the fixation requirement
A live broadcast of an event sends the audio out into the atmosphere as radio waves.  These waves continue out into space and grow weaker in
power over distance.  They are not permanent or stable, nor do they
permit the work to be communicated for more than transitory period.  The
requirements of fixation cannot be met by live broadcasts of events
such as baseball or football games.
Similarly, live performances do not meet the fixation requirement.  If I perform a new, un-written, free-form poem at a coffee house poetry
slam, or perform a new song created in the moment at a concert, I do not
have a copyright in that work.  These works have not been fixed in a
tangible medium; they are ephemeral, just like my conversations with
neighbors on the street.

and this:

The gov owns it all and you get to pay taxes to them for it.  Did I win?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of my favorite parody videos of all time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6udST6lbE
View Quote

Holy shit!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lars downloaded it on Napster.

ETA:  I had no problem with Lars' crusade against Napster making their catalog available public via file sharing network.  GD is one of those places where torches and pitchforks come out when some crappy little gun site copies the bolt-face logo, but where the life's work of a business like Metallica's being taken by millions without compensation of any kind is perfectly legit.  In fact, it's not only legit, it's outrageous that Lars Ulrich or the band overall would say "hey we own that and we don't want this website providing a way for everyone to get around paying for it".  

Anyone who thinks they had a right to take possession of their music without paying for it might as well join one of the progressive groups marching outside of Trump rallies.  That kind of "it should be free for me to take" crap is the definition of a communist/anarchist peckerhead.

The only purpose of Napster was to publicly provide, without charge or other compensation to the rightful owners, copyrighted commercial goods via a shared distribution network.  Utilizing this service to take possession of goods in this manner and without proper compensation to the owners, is stealing.  End of story.

I'm sure we're going to see plenty of moral and intellectual gymnastics to try to get around that simple fact but a valid argument for why getting all this music for free wasn't a clear form of theft cannot be made.
View Quote
Awesome. I'll just legally listen to them on Spotify, then. I just streamed their latest album, and they made less then a penny off of it. And I broke no laws (I even have a Premium Spotify subscription!). 

Good thing we nipped this file sharing thing in the bud, and feel pretty good about ourselves. They made a little less than a penny off my listen, instead of a few dollars. Good for them. 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I love what Offspring did during the Napster days.  They put the Napster name and logo on a bunch of hats and cups and junk like that and sold it in their online store.

No one gets mad at Offspring though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Back to form PA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to form PA:

Use Form PA for registration of published or un­published works of the performing arts. This class includes works prepared for the purpose of being “performed” directly before an audience or indirectly “by means of any device or process.” Works of the performing arts include: (1) musical works, including any accompanying words; (2) dramatic works, in­cluding any accompanying music; (3) pantomimes and choreographic works; and (4) motion pictures and other audiovisual works.

As a professional stage actor and director I will back this up.  No script changes nor photographs or videos should be taken (that doesn't stop productions from doing that though--at their own risk).

I'm sure there are some legal differences between stage productions and concerts or sporting events.

That said, the hypocrisy of the band is pretty bad.  I suppose one's moral stance can be compromised when it comes to money.  Shocker!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

After reading this far, I find it ironic that the photographer and the OP can't grasp the idea that pictures at Metallica concerts are not the sole property of the photographer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
My guess is that some Commie Democrat got pissed because James Hetfield or whatever his name is, said he was getting out of Commiefornia, and got butthurt and wanted a payback.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
you can't stop progress
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They lost me as a fan after the Napster thing.
View Quote

You must really like free shit, you just outted yourself as a FSA POS big boy lol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's hard for me to care if someone uses a picture of themselves without permission.
View Quote
this is a good point, actually.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Fuck Metallica for not giving me free music. I deserve it, just because. They have a lot of money, so it's okay to steal from them. Redistribute the wealth, and Feel the Bern.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They lost me as a fan after the Napster thing.
View Quote
They lost me when Load was released 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's hard for me to care if someone uses a picture of themselves without permission.
View Quote

+ fucking one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The photographer would have to prove to me that he has zero pirated anything before Im gonna give a shit about his claim.
View Quote

If you are demanding "clean hands" how clean do Metallica's hands need to be with regards to music sampling and other contract and fair use issues?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck Metallica 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#29]
That's ironic.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Not the same photo - similar but not the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I totally believe you bro. Totally.

In my experience, if something was found to be desirable, then the whole discography would be downloaded in the next 15 minutes.  The songs that were not wanted could be weeded out later.  

Never have to buy a CD at all.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top