Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Our under garage shelter fit between the wheels of the car parked above it. It was out near the door so you could still get in it without moving the car. Climbing down into it took a minute. Getting big dogs down there would have been a trial for sure. In our new house we went above ground. Somebody will always be around to tell you "I bet it won't withstand 900 mph winds so it's no good". No matter whether you go with below ground, above ground, or no shelter at all, somebody will be around to tell you doing it wrong - just like everything else. Anyhow, register it with the city/county if you can but don't tell anyone else that you have one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the benefit of registering it with the city/county?
View Quote
When we had ours installed they gave us a piece of paper detailing the shelter and was told to take it to the nearest station so they knew there was a shelter in case of an emergency. They didn't detail why though so I'm interested to hear this as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's the back side of the inward opening door:
https://i.imgur.com/CZTK5gb.jpg

Here's how my wife had it set up for the storms that rolled through last night:
https://i.imgur.com/uLsFGLn.jpg

Here are the bolts heads that is holding it down. The two big ones are 1" x 18" lags that they set in 24" of concrete after boring out a 4" hole in the slab and the substrate. There are four of those.  The smaller ones are 1" x 8" lags straight into the slab around the perimeter of the shelter:
https://i.imgur.com/4E8V2gz.jpg

Just because, gratuitous pics of the gun safe.  I want to get some sort of slat or peg board for the walls to hang some of it and free up floor space for more stuff.
https://i.imgur.com/4DhYhUc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6mdLZ7v.jpg
View Quote
Slick.  What did that run ballpark wise for purchase, install, etc? @Paulie771
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do those work better than phone apps... assuming the cell phone towers are working?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I now have spent $100 for another weather radio

Do those work better than phone apps... assuming the cell phone towers are working?
I gave up on the weather radios once the radar apps got good enough. Damn things are county wide so the storms could be 15+ miles away, meanwhile my wife is losing her shit because the sirens are going off, and i'm out on the front lawn with my nightvsion and a beer checking out the action.

Between the redundancy on my verizon network, and my google fiber wifi thats on an UPS I have a reasonable plan for getting data to watch the storms exact locations to make the shelter decision. Plus I've got tv's on UPS with OTA antennas as well, but they're too annoying with the FIRST ALERT SEVERE WEATHER DAY CONTINUING COVERAGE hypefests so just using my radar app is the primary until wifi and cell does, then go to TV, then I can go to a baofeng for a NWS channel. But if i'm losing my fiber or cell i should already be in a shelter cause shits getting wrecked nearby.

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When we had ours installed they gave us a piece of paper detailing the shelter and was told to take it to the nearest station so they knew there was a shelter in case of an emergency. They didn't detail why though so I'm interested to hear this as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In case your house collapses they know you're underground there. If not they might just keep on moving and you might be trapped.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I've lived in Mid MO all my life.  Hid in the tub a few times as a kid with a green sky.  My folks split and Dad moved to NashVegas and lived there for 20+ yrs.  Went down to visit some friends of his that lived on an old homestead about 45mins South of Nashville.  100+ yr old cabin was still there and an old Barn.  But in the old family grave plot, early 1900's were 5 graves, all the same family and date, "Killed by Twister" and I never forgot that.  Can't imagine . . .

Current House does not have a basement.  We go hide at the neighbors a few times.  But now we are adding on, garage slab is spec'd out thickened in the corner.  Plan was to build concrete block "vault" and fill the cores with grout, steel door.  BUT I found a house being demo'd with a F5 rated steel SafeRoom for $1200.  All modular, 1/4in plate bolt together pieces so we will anchor that for now.

ANY shelter is better than NO Shelter.  Below ground might be best, but consider flooding and going outside to access.  An above ground, grade level steel box, inside the garage that you can walk/roll into rated for an F5 will do just fine 99% of the time.  If the finger of god comes down with an F5+ it was likely my time to go anyway.  Sure beats hiding my kids in the tub.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From all the reports I am reading, I would not recommend putting an above ground in you garage. The garage is usually the first thing to fail as garage doors are a major weak point.

If possible, place in an interior room or basement.
View Quote

I disagree. The garage is where I have a slab to anchor too. Properly anchored, I have no concern about the garage failing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I disagree. The garage is where I have a slab to anchor too. Properly anchored, I have no concern about the garage failing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From all the reports I am reading, I would not recommend putting an above ground in you garage. The garage is usually the first thing to fail as garage doors are a major weak point.

If possible, place in an interior room or basement.

I think i'd rather have it anchored along a corner footer area on the slab then interior or basement too. I'm terrified of entrapment though.

There's plenty of videos/photos showing how survivable a proper above ground shelter is.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think i'd rather have it anchored along a corner footer area on the slab then interior or basement too. I'm terrified of entrapment though.

There's plenty of videos/photos showing how survivable a proper above ground shelter is.
View Quote

That's why inward opening door is key.

In my house, I just have the garage slab and then a crawlspace. I have no other choice but the garage...., or outdoors anchored to my new rebar reinforced driveway.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That is why I said "if possible".

I have a full basement with great anchor points in the concrete. I would put one in the basement before garage.

Everyone's situation will be different.
View Quote

Wouldn't you then be concerned about the house collapsing in on you?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In case your house collapses they know you're underground there. If not they might just keep on moving and you might be trapped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that we know to dig you out. Some will show on CAD map. With resources stretched due to a direct hit, any information helps us find you faster.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Nvm wrong thread
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd trade the added protection of a basement over the possibility of a fill in collapse.

At least that's my thinking on the matter.
View Quote

Understood and makes sense. We are talking about probabilities and risks here. The probably of a nado hittin your house is low, and it's even more unlikely it's going to collapse in, so makes sense. I decided for my situation it's work looking into a shelter, but I'm not going to go overboard. I think one of the 4x4s will be perfect for my need.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top