Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/1/2021 4:46:34 PM EDT
My brothers 2021 GMC Denali 2500 stolen last night from a hotel. Took the thieves less than four minutes to drive off with an $85k truck. It’s ridiculous to see how easily they were in it and it was running in seconds then drove off minutes later. Proceeded to another location miles away, stripped his fleet GPS tracking system out and disabled ONSTAR.

https://youtu.be/OWdQhBnEnA8
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
When I lived outside San Antonio the IT guy had a new diesel Ford truck stolen 3 different times from the same place. I was like ummmm stop parking it there and walking off. But nope.

I don't know why you would worry about disabling OnStar. Had a lawsuit they wouldn't tell the cops where the vehicle was when the crooks ran off with a teen in it and killed them. When I bought my Z71 I had to sign a deal the I knew it wouldn't work here , not enough cell coverage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I lived outside San Antonio the IT guy had a new diesel Ford truck stolen 3 different times from the same place. I was like ummmm stop parking it there and walking off. But nope.

I don't know why you would worry about disabling OnStar. Had a lawsuit they wouldn't tell the cops where the vehicle was when the crooks ran off with a teen in it and killed them. When I bought my Z71 I had to sign a deal the I knew it wouldn't work here , not enough cell coverage.
View Quote

ONSTAR can GPS locate the truck without Cellular coverage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My brothers 2021 GMC Denali 2500 stolen last night from a hotel. Took the thieves less than four minutes to drive off with an $85k truck. It’s ridiculous to see how easily they were in it and it was running in seconds then drove off minutes later. Proceeded to another location miles away, stripped his fleet GPS tracking system out and disabled ONSTAR.

https://youtu.be/DrPnaUM2rTU

View Quote

Looks like it took a minute to get it started. Lights kept cycling.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the reason we have these fucking bulky-ass $500 keys for our cars now is that it makes them harder to fucking steal.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That sucks man.

Hopefully ID'ng the car following will help.

Keep us updated, hope they catch the assholes.

Lojack is looking better and better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I can’t believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

There were a TON of vehicle break-ins and thefts at the sporting clays nationals in San Antonio a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought the reason we have these fucking bulky-ass $500 keys for our cars now is that it makes them harder to fucking steal.  
View Quote

Ya.  No shit.  How does that (not) work?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
We get closer to 3rd world status every day. Even if arrested thieves like this often get released hours or even minutes later on $5 bail.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hope they catch the thieves.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have heard the fuse can be pulled to disable onstar
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I've helped a co-worker with scum who attempted twice and finally stolel a Z71 out of our parking lot with OnStar.    

Drill door handle, pop hood cut horn drop in their ECM, pull down headliner, cut GPS antenna.   Pop steering column, put in their chips, drive off with their keys.  

60-90 sec.    The one time they stole it, had an OnStar signal and they refused to shut it down unless police at the scene.   Truck is long gone by the response.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am selling my 2020 Tacoma with 36k miles on it. I had 3 offers of over $40K less than an hour after listing it.

I paid $36k for it in January 2020....
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Wonder if they still make that steering wheel lock thing.
The Chub or the Club something like that.

That sucks Biden ball bag op.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#15]
In a perfect world, there would be zero keys. But many thieves losing hands.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That sucks man.

Hopefully ID'ng the car following will help.

Keep us updated, hope they catch the assholes.

Lojack is looking better and better.
View Quote

You can put all the failsafes in that you want. It is still just connecting wires and providing power and breaking/defeating the steering wheel lock. And if you sell tens of thousands of a given model vehicle it makes economic sense to place the location transmitter in the same place.

I think 99% of the fleet gps transponders go in the OBD plug so easy to find.

Car company sells you the vehicle; they don’t care. More sales for them when it gets stolen and you come back to buy another with the insurance money.

Insurance company; they do not care because when they pay you for the vehicle it counts as a business loss that offsets their taxes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]
There was a crew a couple years ago that were cloning keys from the street. They'd come back later and just drive away while the owner slept.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
They would Steel Cadillac and rip the rear view mirror off.
That's what had on star it would set fail codes and shut it down.
Guy did that and threw mirror at salesman on way out of lot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Expensive ass key fobs and expensive ass electronics and it makes fuck all the difference other than to pound you in the ass for a few more grand.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There was a crew a couple years ago that were cloning keys from the street. They'd come back later and just drive away while the owner slept.
View Quote

If you care, put a hidden kill switch somewhere. Make them tow it
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
All fucking thieves must fucking die.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am selling my 2020 Tacoma with 36k miles on it. I had 3 offers of over $40K less than an hour after listing it.

View Quote

Why?

Was it a bad purchase in 2020?

Will you replace it and at what cost?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Push button start.

#343 My Truck was stolen! This could stop it from happening to you. 6 month review.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm assuming they were hacking the keyless system?

Probably a market for a secondary keyless starter lock out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Impressive to say the least . Sucks man
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Same thing happened to me back in 2012. Brand new truck - gone in minutes form a hotel in Canada, onstar disabled (they didn't even have my truck on file though I had used it to get towed once - turns out it wouldn't start if I stood to close with my key in my pocket to an electrical magnet). I lost a lot of tools and - far worse - I lost my passport. Like a dummy when I went through the border crossing I put it in my console and forgot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#28]
you didn't make that truck.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
My BIL had his 2006 Tahoe stolen while he was inside his office. He works for Lockheed Martin and parks on Air Force base parking.  Two weeks later it was discovered in Dallas stripped. 6 months later the same Tahoe was stolen from BJ’s parking lot when we were inside having dinner. We walked out like WTF, you parked right here. It was found in Dallas 3 days later
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Nothing new.
Convenience often sacrifices security....

https://bgr.com/lifestyle/car-relay-theft-video-how-to-prevent/
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Would one of these well hidden still be able to track it?

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a similar experience. 2020 tacoma with 11k miles on it. Brought it in for service and had someone ask me if I was willing to sell it to them. Truck market is insane right now.

Thefts like the one OP mentioned is why I have a separate GPS tracking system in my truck as well as a hidden airtag in it. Still gotta put in a kill switch eventually.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah man. If anything, it made it easier. A cloning tool and a 8" piece of stiff wire and that (or any) new GM vehicle is easy pickings.

Both tools available on the web.

<---------22 year locksmith.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does. It took the thieves 4 minutes to steal instead of one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've helped a co-worker with scum who attempted twice and finally stolel a Z71 out of our parking lot with OnStar.    

Drill door handle, pop hood cut horn drop in their ECM, pull down headliner, cut GPS antenna.   Pop steering column, put in their chips, drive off with their keys.  

60-90 sec.    The one time they stole it, had an OnStar signal and they refused to shut it down unless police at the scene.   Truck is long gone by the response.
View Quote

So GM still hasn't been able to make a vehicle as secure as a 20 year old VW?

I know in 20 year old Audis every module is coded to the vehicle. Piss it off and it locks down each one. They also have separate batteries and beepers for the alarm system that cutting the battery cable will not affect. To do that with a 20 year old Audi in the same manner it took a minute with the GM you would need to clone the instrument cluster, find the security keys, set those keys in the ECM, pair the ECM to the cluster then confugure the ECM for the exact configuration of the vehicle before you can even attempt to start it. You better hope you know how to disable the immobilizer on both the removed ECM and the new one and have the immobilizer pill for the cluster. If you miss any one part you get to drag it to a shop with a tow truck or spend hours trying to fix it.

Even replacing the controller that does the power seats can piss off the immobilizer and create some fun games of pairing that piece of hardware to the cluster. Been there. Got the t-shirt. It was not a happy car. It was full non compliance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hope they catch the thieves.
View Quote
That truck was in Mexico before sunup
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
They can, but they have a record of not doing it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I had a similar experience. 2020 tacoma with 11k miles on it. Brought it in for service and had someone ask me if I was willing to sell it to them. Truck market is insane right now.

Thefts like the one OP mentioned is why I have a separate GPS tracking system in my truck as well as a hidden airtag in it. Still gotta put in a kill switch eventually.
View Quote

Doesn't the airtag only work like 30 ft.?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Sucks big time!

Had my F-250 stolen from my house two weeks ago.

Took them two minutes to break in and start it up.  Found four runs through the toll road a around here on it four days later and now nothing.

Waiting on insurance to pay out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.
View Quote

As the environment for criminals gets more permissive and enforcement more lax, I suspect people are going to take matters into their own hands.

Shitty part is all the data and investigative ability of law enforcement that is not put into play when "it is just (not the king's) stuff" is stolen will be brought to bear because Pookie, Javier or Cleetus (with a pages long criminal record) is found on the side of the road next to a pile of broken glass with a hole in his head.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you care, put a hidden kill switch somewhere. Make them tow it
View Quote

My 2003 Tahoe had one.  I was on vacation with it and took it to an audio/tint/remote start shop.  

I had my switch on the parking brake. It had to be depressed about 2 inches, then you could start it and release it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#45]
A simple on/off switch between the fuel pump or starter hidden works wonders as preventing a vehicle from being stolen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I pull the fuze for the fuel pump. Good luck figuring that out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#47]
The scary part of the video is seeing his accomplice watching from another car (the one that followed the truck out).

Had your brother stumbled on the thief, his buddy might have come over with a weapon.

It's getting pretty spicy out there these days between all the smash and grab thefts and catalytic converter thieves.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#48]
It's mind blowing that a truck costs 85 grand. Fuck those thieves, though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#49]
My Peterbilt 389 was stolen out of a hotel parking lot at 3pm! Had some big mining tires on the trailer that were worth more than the truck and trailer combined, but they left the trailer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Is it just me, or does that video have tinnitus?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top