Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Insurance company; they do not care because when they pay you for the vehicle it counts as a business loss that offsets their taxes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
hidden kill switch\thread
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
must not have been hidden too well, my guess is it was plugged into the obd2 connecter?

dodge is also having a hard time with this as you can steal almost any push button start dodge in less than 2 min by programming new keys to it, all because the government says they cant make the key process propitiatory what bs
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You can put all the failsafes in that you want. It is still just connecting wires and providing power and breaking/defeating the steering wheel lock. And if you sell tens of thousands of a given model vehicle it makes economic sense to place the location transmitter in the same place.

I think 99% of the fleet gps transponders go in the OBD plug so easy to find.

Car company sells you the vehicle; they don't care. More sales for them when it gets stolen and you come back to buy another with the insurance money.

Insurance company; they do not care because when they pay you for the vehicle it counts as a business loss that offsets their taxes.
View Quote
Lojack is a different animal. If the vehicle moves, the owner is alerted, then the popo can track it quickly. Lojack gets hidden and the thieves won't find it quickly enough if well hidden.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't understand why hidden kill switches aren't more popular.  Its not rocket surgery to install one.
View Quote

There's no money in them.

Would you sell a customer a $5 kill switch if you could sell him a $400 LoJack system instead?

They're not sexy.

Also, they require a little bit of creativity to install effectively - and most vehicle owners are way too lazy to be creative.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ya.  No shit.  How does that (not) work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the reason we have these fucking bulky-ass $500 keys for our cars now is that it makes them harder to fucking steal.  

If you have remote start it makes the fancy key useless. A second key is attached somewhere near the ignition underneath the dash, so anyone can bust the ignition and drive off.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I pull the fuze for the fuel pump. Good luck figuring that out.
View Quote

Every single time you park?

I'd just rather get my truck stolen and get a new one from insurance
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's mind blowing that a truck costs 85 grand. Fuck those thieves, though.
View Quote

Ford f450 dually diesel 4x4 is 92+
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You would think new vehicles would be damn near impossible to steal but apparently not.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, but I can't afford (actually, really, I don't want to pay) $85 large for a truck.

A switch under the seat or dash somewhere is one thing, swapping parts at 7-11 is another.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have Lo-Jac the cops aren't going to track it or go to it even if Lo-Jac tells them where its at in time before its stripped.  Onstar is disabled right after they steal vehicle by ripping antenna off.  Good friend had one stolen from Home Depot and might be on camera but Home Depot won't let you see it only police.  Police report was given over the phone no one would come out too busy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you have remote start it makes the fancy key useless. A second key is attached somewhere near the ignition underneath the dash, so anyone can bust the ignition and drive off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the reason we have these fucking bulky-ass $500 keys for our cars now is that it makes them harder to fucking steal.  

That's not how any of the remote starts I've installed worked.  The bypass module isn't active unless the remote start is telling it to be, or its actually built into the remote start itsself. You can try to start with a mechanical key (or by breaking the ignition all day long).

Maybe completely shitty remote start installs leave a key or the RFID chip of one somewhere, but that's a shitty way to go through life.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Which one of you clowns posted that comment?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
This is why I like driving my quarter century old F150. I don't even bother to lock the doors unless I have to put the gun in the glove box.  Nobody messes with a nearly 25 year old truck. But I must confess I live in an extremely low crime area. Before I got into guns I didn't even bother to lock my doors and windows when I left home. Hell when I am home now I still don't bother locking things up, just when I leave. Only thing I ever had stolen from me was a broken down Yamaha Banshee and 2 cans of gas.

Interesting story about those cans of gas. A few years ago I started noticing someone would occasionally steal a can of gas from me if I left it by the side of the house. After the 2nd can goes missing I decide to do some fishing and put a 3rd can of gas in the same spot, only this time it is filled with 2 gallons of gas, 1 gallon of water, and 1 gallon of pool bleach. Well the very next day I notice my neighbour who I am good friends with, pulls out of his driveway and gets about 200 feet down the street when his car stalls out. I hear him cranking on it and cranking and finally he pushes it backwards all the way to his driveway. He then spends the next 2 weeks troubleshooting the thing. Eventually he pulls the tank. replaces the fuck pump, filter, lines, the injectors, pressure regulator, he still cant get it to run. Finally at about the 3rd week mark I see a tow truck come get the car. The tow truck has graphics that advertise $$$ paid for junk cars. It's the local junk yard's tow truck! My neighbour only had the car a few months before he decided to sell it for scrap because it was beyond repair.

Sorry for the off topic, I just thought some of you guys who lost a vehicle might like to hear a true story from me about the time when a baddie got what's coming to him.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It takes a lot of work to buy our nice things and keep them

We need leaders who will take care of business   Not that it will ever happen lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They can, but they have a record of not doing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ONSTAR can GPS locate the truck without Cellular coverage.
How?  There is a Sat phone module included with ONSTAR as well?  Because that would be the only way I could think of sending a signal without cell coverage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.
View Quote

Yep. I want to see them swing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Many years back a friend caught a thief in his truck trying to steal the stereo.
He slammed the door on his legs sticking out followed by a Buck folding #110 buried full depth into his left ass cheek.

Guy staggered away into a wooded area before cops arrived.
They followed a blood trail until they lost it and said "the guy must have been cut" during the break in.

Today short of a hidden battery disconnect or actually having a QD removable steering wheel its almost impossible to prevent someone getting in a vehicle but you can make it VERY hard to drive.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How?  There is a Sat phone module included with ONSTAR as well?  Because that would be the only way I could think of sending a signal without cell coverage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ONSTAR can GPS locate the truck without Cellular coverage.

I’m 100% confident that a Garmin InReach GPS does not need  Cellular but can send an exact gps location for emergency as directed to Garmin. It tracks you by intervals anywhere in the world.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe that’s GM’s strategy on selling more vehicles!
Make them easy to steal and they’ll sell more vehicles!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Just pull the distributer coil wire obviously.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nah man. If anything, it made it easier. A cloning tool and a 8" piece of stiff wire and that (or any) new GM vehicle is easy pickings.

Both tools available on the web.

<---------22 year locksmith.
View Quote
How do you do this if you don't have the key to clone?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Always wondered why they don't make a ver 2.0 with a large bent U that goes around the steering column (as opposed to the wheel), then down to connect to the bit that hooks around the brake (or gas pedal, whichever you prefer. Locking the brake pedal prevents an automatic from being started. Locking the gas pedal prevents the vehicle being driven).

Once locked, they'd have to saw through the pedal (which is obviously doable, but harder and noisier than cutting through the steering wheel).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder if they still make that steering wheel lock thing.
The Chub or the Club something like that.

That sucks Biden ball bag op.

If someone is stealing your vehicle do you really think they'll shy away from cutting the steering wheel

Always wondered why they don't make a ver 2.0 with a large bent U that goes around the steering column (as opposed to the wheel), then down to connect to the bit that hooks around the brake (or gas pedal, whichever you prefer. Locking the brake pedal prevents an automatic from being started. Locking the gas pedal prevents the vehicle being driven).

Once locked, they'd have to saw through the pedal (which is obviously doable, but harder and noisier than cutting through the steering wheel).

That's why I love this place.
I throw out a joke, someone thinks it's funny but for the wrong reason.
And another guy breaks in with another great idea that has already been done.
But I love you guys even though I now have hose clamps on all my tail gates.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
That won't work on diesels.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Wire in a relay to the fuel pump power, located right over the gas tank where it can't be accessed quickly.  A dedicated smart phone hidden out of the way and on a charger connected to constant 12v controls the relay when commanded, and also provides location tracking.

When it's stolen, follow them until they are in a poorly lit area, then kill the fuel pump.  Have your way with them.

Afterward, send the command to release the relay so you can drive it home.  Simple, really.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Why in today's age with 4K cameras does security footage still look like something from the 70s-80s?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Should have bought a Club.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve ever read on GD.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't understand why hidden kill switches aren't more popular.  Its not rocket surgery to install one.
View Quote

I can tell you why. Most people are lazy and can’t be bothered throwing a switch to start their car.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One of the many joys of diversity.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You can put all the failsafes in that you want. It is still just connecting wires and providing power and breaking/defeating the steering wheel lock. And if you sell tens of thousands of a given model vehicle it makes economic sense to place the location transmitter in the same place.

I think 99% of the fleet gps transponders go in the OBD plug so easy to find.

Car company sells you the vehicle; they don’t care. More sales for them when it gets stolen and you come back to buy another with the insurance money.

View Quote

http://www.ravelco.com

Ever since this has been in our work trucks, they don't get stolen anymore, sure we have to replace the ignition when they try but this is ingenious.  It is not full proof, but it makes them take the time to try to trace every wire to figure out what goes where.  Car thieves don't have that kind of time :)

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That has been going on for years.  The Catholic Church across from the center asks people not to leave firearms in their cars -  they attract too many break in's.  They don't mind the firearms in the Church apparently - just don't leave them in your cars...

The trick they were using 10 years ago was to mark the vehicles in the shooting sports complex (usually with an adhesive dot in the wheel well).  Then they would go "shopping" the local hotels.  Half the people are too fucking lazy to carry in their guns - so they get stolen.  Understand we are not necessarily talking about cheep guns - a lot of these are 10k P and K guns (higher in trap and skeet guns).  They could probably make money faster steeling the guns than the whole cars.
View Quote

A well known trapshooter had his $30k Krieghoff stolen out of his truck.

I heard they chalk tires in Tucson when they identify individuals with particularly nice shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can’t believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything modern should have an electric fuel pump.

In the case of my truck, if I want it to be more secure I'll disconnect the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injection pump. I will be installing a kill switch at some point though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anything modern should have an electric fuel pump.
View Quote

Along with an assortment of sensors that will kill the engine if they're disabled.

Once again, the biggest problem isn't making a kill switch work - It's finding owners with enough motivation to figure out how to make it work in their particular vehicle.

Typically, the motivation only comes after the vehicle is stolen for the first time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Islam is right about thieves
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can’t believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote

Especially for a GM.

Don’t worry, they will all be electric in 5 years and much harder to steal. Or wait…
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. Makes them EASIER to steal. Thieves carry a "magic box" that reads your key that they bought off of e-bay or Wish/ AliBaba for a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Ok, so you keep your fob in a Faraday pouch. How do you use it to get in the car and start if if there’s no signal?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#42]
For $85K, need to have one of these:

Magnavolt car anti theft advert from Robocop 2, brilliant!

Or these:

Funniest Trunk Monkey Commercials
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I can just about guarantee nobody will steal my truck.  I should drop the insurance
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you care, put a hidden kill switch somewhere. Make them tow it
View Quote

Some may remember a friend of mine was murdered a couple of years ago. I had sold him a 74 Monte Carlo I had. I bought it back from his mom a year later. I was trying to get it to start and it would not run. I found he had put an anti theft device on it. It was a small vise grip on the rubber hose to the fuel pump. To bad these new cars aren’t quite that easy to do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#45]
So here's a question for all the kill switch proponents. Would wiring in a switch or cutting stuff to get it connected void any warranties for newer vehicles?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Video unavailableThis video has been removed by the uploader

Close thread.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Follow up to my stolen pickups.
You can claim your contents through your home owners or renter insurance policy. Be prepared to itemize and argue to get your money in full. I ended up making a spread sheet complete with content lists, costs, and links to replacement. Now trying to remember all the crap some of of us have in our vehicles can be interesting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So here's a question for all the kill switch proponents. Would wiring in a switch or cutting stuff to get it connected void any warranties for newer vehicles?
View Quote

Very, very unlikely - and that's even if the dealer ever found it on your vehicle.

Typically, it's only obvious when it's actually disabling the vehicle - which isn't something you wouldn't do while it was at the dealer for service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
A least they don't last as long as keys and you can't keep a spare in your wallet.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top