Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No shit, if they abandoned the stripped truck in the police station parking lot, they would probably get a ticket for it or something.
View Quote

I worked with a guy who got in trouble for writing tickets to obviously stolen stripped cars.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They would Steel Cadillac and rip the rear view mirror off.
That's what had on star it would set fail codes and shut it down.
Guy did that and threw mirror at salesman on way out of lot.
View Quote

Man I love GD auto theft threads.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can't believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote

That's the real "theft".

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am selling my 2020 Tacoma with 36k miles on it. I had 3 offers of over $40K less than an hour after listing it.

I paid $36k for it in January 2020....
View Quote
This isn't the truck market....  it is inflation.

The dollar is becoming worth less every day...

The government inflation numbers are designed to be a lie that understates/hides inflation.

See Shadowstats website for more realistic inflation numbers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.
View Quote

In the British Empire, that was the standard punishment for robbers at least, and possibly burglars and thieves.  
The sentence was typically carried out at dawn the day following the trial.  Effective.

It did give them a very safe and law-abiding society for a few hundred years until they abandoned it.

Now the UK government will actually prosecute victims for defending themselves against robbers and burglars.

Guess which way the trends for crimes and violence are going with this new policy?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just pull the distributer coil wire obviously.
View Quote

If you are serious... you need to look under the hood of a modern car.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Old school kill switch in my truck. No worries!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why in today's age with 4K cameras does security footage still look like something from the 70s-80s?
View Quote

In case Bigfoot tries to steal a car.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No argument here.  The more piddly stuff they get away with the bolder they get to the point of squatting in houses with stolen vehicles to sell to the messican coyotes.

"Shoplifting isn't a crime!  Empty the prisons!"

View Quote
Some thieves in London broke into a vacant multi-million dollar mansion, changed the locks and started living there.  

When they were discovered, the police refused to evict them, because they already had some tenant rights because they were actually living in the house.   I think they produced a fake rental agreement, and it was then up to the owner to go to court to prove that it was a false agreement.    I believe they were able to stay in the house for more than a year.  

It seems insane.    

That is where we (the US) are headed though.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about a remote controlled relay that was actuated by another key fob? You actuate the relay when you get out of the truck to break the circuit and then you have to actuated again to make the circuit

You can wear that in line with the fuel pump or starter circuit
View Quote
Use the best quality components you can find.  

You don't want to disable yourself when your cheap key fob or relay dies.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, the wire to the starter solenoid is pretty easy to find on every car I've seen. You could tap into plenty of other spots in the ignition circuits I'm sure, but I'm lazy :)
View Quote
I installed an upgraded performance intake system on a 1991-era car.    I had to tap a wire into one of the wires for the mass-airflow sensor.    The tap didn't make a good solid connection at first, and it was really hard to troubleshoot.

The starter would crank, and the engine would even fire, but then it would fail to idle and die in about 3 seconds no matter what I did.    

That would be a nice place for a kill switch.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the British Empire, that was the standard punishment for robbers at least, and possibly burglars and thieves.  
The sentence was typically carried out at dawn the day following the trial.  Effective.

It did give them a very safe and law-abiding society for a few hundred years until they abandoned it.

Now the UK government will actually prosecute victims for defending themselves against robbers and burglars.

Guess which way the trends for crimes and violence are going with this new policy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.

Not to make this a political thread, but the event which triggered this was women becoming the majority of the electorate.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#14]
So has anyone bought a faraday pouch?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really, you think they are going to actually look for them?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/picard-UhOh-339.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope they catch the thieves.

Tell the cops they were white guys in MAGA hats. Then they will find the truck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve ever read on GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insurance company; they do not care because when they pay you for the vehicle it counts as a business loss that offsets their taxes.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve ever read on GD.

Ooof...talk about an insult. That was fucking brutal. LOL
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This...or crank sensor to be a little more tricky.

The cleverest idea I've heard is to use a 3-position switch.  Two of the positions are shorts which will blow fuses requiredfor ignition.  Even if he finds the switch after the vehicle doesn't start, the vehicle won't start (no positions work).  I could never do this because I would forget and blow fuses constantly.....
View Quote
So would I.

That is why I never put bear traps out around my property...    Hey, I still have all my feet!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is why I like driving my quarter century old F150. I don't even bother to lock the doors unless I have to put the gun in the glove box.  Nobody messes with a nearly 25 year old truck. But I must confess I live in an extremely low crime area. Before I got into guns I didn't even bother to lock my doors and windows when I left home. Hell when I am home now I still don't bother locking things up, just when I leave. Only thing I ever had stolen from me was a broken down Yamaha Banshee and 2 cans of gas.

Interesting story about those cans of gas. A few years ago I started noticing someone would occasionally steal a can of gas from me if I left it by the side of the house. After the 2nd can goes missing I decide to do some fishing and put a 3rd can of gas in the same spot, only this time it is filled with 2 gallons of gas, 1 gallon of water, and 1 gallon of pool bleach. Well the very next day I notice my neighbour who I am good friends with, pulls out of his driveway and gets about 200 feet down the street when his car stalls out. I hear him cranking on it and cranking and finally he pushes it backwards all the way to his driveway. He then spends the next 2 weeks troubleshooting the thing. Eventually he pulls the tank. replaces the fuck pump, filter, lines, the injectors, pressure regulator, he still cant get it to run. Finally at about the 3rd week mark I see a tow truck come get the car. The tow truck has graphics that advertise $$$ paid for junk cars. It's the local junk yard's tow truck! My neighbour only had the car a few months before he decided to sell it for scrap because it was beyond repair.

Sorry for the off topic, I just thought some of you guys who lost a vehicle might like to hear a true story from me about the time when a baddie got what's coming to him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]

I have a '22 Silverado 2500 High Country coming in 3 weeks.....

I may have to add an additional level of protection
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you have Lo-Jac the cops aren't going to track it or go to it even if Lo-Jac tells them where its at in time before its stripped.  Onstar is disabled right after they steal vehicle by ripping antenna off.  Good friend had one stolen from Home Depot and might be on camera but Home Depot won't let you see it only police.  Police report was given over the phone no one would come out too busy.
View Quote
Wow, that sucks.

It seems I grew up in an era when the police would actively try to recover stolen cars...

If they aren't going to keep the peace, and respond and suppress riots, robberies, looting, and burglaries, then what do any of us need the police for anyway???    

Woke community relations, that's what is left?  In that case, I'll pass on that service and just provide my own defense of people and property.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If you live in any of the southern border states pickups, especially four wheel drive ones, are prime targets.
Talking with my neighbor yesterday and told him he needs an immobilizer on his GMC, lifted with custom tires.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Follow up to my stolen pickups.
You can claim your contents through your home owners or renter insurance policy. Be prepared to itemize and argue to get your money in full. I ended up making a spread sheet complete with content lists, costs, and links to replacement. Now trying to remember all the crap some of of us have in our vehicles can be interesting.
View Quote

I have to have my Vermeer in the truck, but I really need to stop carrying around my lucky Faberge egg....  
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I put a hidden kill switch on my Ram pickup.Took about 4 hours.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I lived outside San Antonio the IT guy had a new diesel Ford truck stolen 3 different times from the same place. I was like ummmm stop parking it there and walking off. But nope.

I don't know why you would worry about disabling OnStar. Had a lawsuit they wouldn't tell the cops where the vehicle was when the crooks ran off with a teen in it and killed them. When I bought my Z71 I had to sign a deal the I knew it wouldn't work here , not enough cell coverage.
View Quote

Uh, Texas... Felony Theft after dark... Hunting over bait... I believe that #1 buckshot is the preffered load for these situations...

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
They will steal just about anything around here.  Tons of carjackings, usually by younger guys.  But hellcat, scat pack, trailhawk dodge products have been a hot item lately.  Locals arrested a couple guys recently with some kind of scan tool that they can plug in and it will basically program a FOB in short order, then they drive off with their new ride.....
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep, seen a CCSB super duty being stolen off the lot of a Ford dealer in Liberty MO at around  2:30am last summer. Lights off, window stickers on the door hauling ass out of the parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck thieves. Prayers for Texas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a '23 Silverado 2500 High Country coming in 3 weeks.....

View Quote

2023 this soon or a typo?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am selling my 2020 Tacoma with 36k miles on it. I had 3 offers of over $40K less than an hour after listing it.

I paid $36k for it in January 2020....
View Quote

That's pants on head retarded but good for you. Our economy is screwed

FJB
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
This reminds me, I really need to install a kill switch in my Jeep.

Though, it does beg the question… if someone stole my TJ, how would I tell when I retrieved it? I guess the Hi-Lift might be missing or something.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In a perfect world, there would be zero keys. But many thieves losing hands.
View Quote

They still cut off hands in the middle east. But here we're just a SJW country.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So has anyone bought a faraday pouch?
View Quote

yes they make them for cell phones. I suppose a faraday pouch pocket for jeans would actually be a good idea.

HEY ARF DESIGNERS!!!.
Faraday pouch pocket jeans. Ill take my royalties in form of 5.56, 6.5 CM, and 9mm JHP.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My 2003 Tahoe had one.  I was on vacation with it and took it to an audio/tint/remote start shop.  

I had my switch on the parking brake. It had to be depressed about 2 inches, then you could start it and release it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a '23 Silverado 2500 High Country coming in 3 weeks.....

Yes Typo, sorry
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I worked with a guy who got in trouble for writing tickets to obviously stolen stripped cars.
View Quote

There is half a pop up camp trailer that was dumped on a road near my house. It lasted two months with a pile of tickets before it finally disappeared, and even then I wouldn't be surprised to find out if it was one of the home owners sick of looking at it who dumped it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So you buy a truck for say $50,000 and with the market being as crazy as it is you could turn around and sell it for $58,000. It gets stolen, does the insurance pay the 50 or the 58000?
View Quote

I just made about 11k on my totaled Silverado.  I’m the airport now going to pick up a Ram.  That LTZ Z71 was a pile of shit.  Glad I totaled it
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Should have bought a Club.
View Quote

liquid nitrogen and a little tap broke one every time
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So you buy a truck for say $50,000 and with the market being as crazy as it is you could turn around and sell it for $58,000. It gets stolen, does the insurance pay the 50 or the 58000?
View Quote

We were victims of an inattentive asshole last summer ramming into the back of the wife's car totaling it.  Our insurance company (GEICO), whom we went thru to get everything handled, fucked us on the payout to the tune of at least $6k even though they new they'd be getting reimbursed from other company. They based our payout on 1 completely phantom 'comp' & 1 more far-left-of-bell-curve 'comp' that was a year older, had 20k mi more on it & was a lessor trim level than what we lost.  Complete & utter bullshit that I could (& did) feed back to them with their own car shopping tool.  

Made zero impact on them fucking us. Your appeal as a victim in these cases is someone else in the same insurance company that's fucking you to begin with.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So here's a question for all the kill switch proponents. Would wiring in a switch or cutting stuff to get it connected void any warranties for newer vehicles?
View Quote

No, but if the kill switch install fries something they don't have to cover the repair... But they have to prove it. Say you cut power to the fuel pump and a year later you blow a tranny... They can't void they still have to fix it.

Now if you manage to wire the fuel pump backwards and fry it, then you're shipping for a fuel pump.

Keep in mind that everything is computer controlled now. So don't fry a control module by sending battery voltage somewhere it shouldn't go. Those parts ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There were a TON of vehicle break-ins and thefts at the sporting clays nationals in San Antonio a few weeks ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I lived outside San Antonio the IT guy had a new diesel Ford truck stolen 3 different times from the same place. I was like ummmm stop parking it there and walking off. But nope.

I don't know why you would worry about disabling OnStar. Had a lawsuit they wouldn't tell the cops where the vehicle was when the crooks ran off with a teen in it and killed them. When I bought my Z71 I had to sign a deal the I knew it wouldn't work here , not enough cell coverage.

There were a TON of vehicle break-ins and thefts at the sporting clays nationals in San Antonio a few weeks ago.

I was nervous about that when we went to the HS state finals there last year.   Every place we went they advised you to watch your stuff.   Someone had their truck, trailer and sxs stolen from the hotel the week before.   This year we are going to bring a travel trailer and park with a group at the facility.  I love going out to eat in San Antonio but it sucks having to worry about your shit the entire time.  I brought a big cable and locked the shotguns in pelican cases around the furniture at the hotel when we went out.  Certainly not fool proof but at least make them have to work for it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Key Fobs and Garage Door Openers, wrap em up at night.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Friend of ours had his GMC Sierra stolen last year at work. They had it all on video. Took less than 3 minutes. Popped the hood, did some stuff there, got into the truck, drove away. They never got it back.

Watching the video was pretty crazy. 3 guys that obviously know what they were doing.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they do catch them, they won’t even spend a night in jail. Probably won’t even serve any prison time at all. It’s called “prison reform” where they just release all thugs because it’s racist to keep them in jail.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m 100% confident that a Garmin InReach GPS does not need  Cellular but can send an exact gps location for emergency as directed to Garmin. It tracks you by intervals anywhere in the world.
View Quote

An InReach essentially contains a satphone.

What makes you think that OnStar vehicles have that and how would it help them with disconnected power or antenna?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A simple on/off switch between the fuel pump or starter hidden works wonders as preventing a vehicle from being stolen.
View Quote

It won't stop them fucking up your vehicle while trying though, and if they get caught it will just be a vandalism charge.

When someone tried to steel my 2000 z71 it cost me $600 to have the steering wheel and key assembly fixed.

Back in the 90s there was a company with a product that if your car was started without your key, or a fob or something it would let them drive it about 100 feet down the road before killing the vehicle. That way you didn't lose the truck but it was a car theft charge for the criminals.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This isn't the truck market....  it is inflation.

The dollar is becoming worth less every day...

The government inflation numbers are designed to be a lie that understates/hides inflation.

See Shadowstats website for more realistic inflation numbers.
View Quote

I am fully aware. However the price insanity seems to affect pickups more than suvs and is somewhat brand dependent. I can buy a used GX460 for less than what it cost new. You cant do that with a Tacoma.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some thieves in London broke into a vacant multi-million dollar mansion, changed the locks and started living there.  

When they were discovered, the police refused to evict them, because they already had some tenant rights because they were actually living in the house.   I think they produced a fake rental agreement, and it was then up to the owner to go to court to prove that it was a false agreement.    I believe they were able to stay in the house for more than a year.  

It seems insane.    

That is where we (the US) are headed though.

View Quote

this already happens here...
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There was a crew a couple years ago that were cloning keys from the street. They'd come back later and just drive away while the owner slept.
View Quote

Faraday bags FTW.

When my oldest took driving school a few years ago they handed them out for the kids to put their phones in while they were driving. When he showed it to me I told him to see if he could pick me up a few more. Told him to say we all wanted them to “Drive un-distracted”. He came home with 4 more. I proceeded to use them for the transmitters.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I can't believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote
Apparently not everyone is paying that
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No shit, if they abandoned the stripped truck in the police station parking lot, they would probably get a ticket for it or something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, if they abandoned the stripped truck in the police station parking lot, they would probably get a ticket for it or something

You laugh, but I had a ‘87 T-Type stolen. St. Paul cops called my home while I was at work & said they found it stripped a few block from my place. Called them the minute I heard the message not 2hrs later. Fuckers had it towed & impounded. Cost me $500 to get it back just to get the rest of the parts off of it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top