Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
"chrome.." As far as I know '73 was the only time the keys ever went into the launch switch, at least
until I retired in '85. SAC missile crews were on DEFCON 4, normal is 5 but I think during that period the entire
US went to DEFCON 3.

Normally the keys and other doc's were kept in the Red Safe over the Deputy Crew Commanders
console. The safe was only opened during crew changeover.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

<snip>
FYI, everything I've talked about is public knowledge and can be found easily on the internet

A reminder to everyone who worked in this area:

The fact that you may no longer serve in this capacity, or that the information you are considering posting is available in open source/press/the Internet does not relieve you of your past security agreement to protect sensitive defense information.

Just a reminder.

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am hopefully going to branch missiles if I get into the AFROTC program. Now I am just curious as to what, the contingency plan would be for said operators of a site. Say the world is nuked wtf are you supposed to do,and even more so what is one stocked to do in the bunker? Do they have their own water supplies, food stores etc? Furthermore, I wonder if one is able to do scavenging runs from the silo and then retreat back into the silo via a decontaminate area? Anyway, just curious as to if anyone knows about this or may have some reading about this topic.

If you have to ask these questions odds are good you won't pass the psych evals involved with getting the job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#4]
What Psych evals. I never heard of any?
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What Psych evals. I never heard of any?

The DoD implements this through the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) (DoD Directive 5210.42).  DOE does it through the Human Reliability Program.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am hopefully going to branch missiles if I get into the AFROTC program. Now I am just curious as to what, the contingency plan would be for said operators of a site. Say the world is nuked wtf are you supposed to do,and even more so what is one stocked to do in the bunker? Do they have their own water supplies, food stores etc? Furthermore, I wonder if one is able to do scavenging runs from the silo and then retreat back into the silo via a decontaminate area? Anyway, just curious as to if anyone knows about this or may have some reading about this topic.

If you have to ask these questions odds are good you won't pass the psych evals involved with getting the job.

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
While working for the MDA, I had occasion to work alongside two retired missileers.  They both confirmed that one day back in the '80s, they received a series of EAMs that brought them to increased states of readiness including INSERTING THEIR KEYS!

They were at different squadrons and didn't know each other until years later at MDA.

They told me they were really spooked because they could hear the comms chatter as the bombers were flushed and the entire SAC went to DEFCON whatever...(can't remember but it wasn't 4 or 5.)

Anyway...IIRC it had something to do with the Rooskies.

Scary shit.

FTR, they told me they used to watch a lot of TV and work on their Master's degrees.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh I can't wait to be J-coded off of PRP in April
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top