Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Portfolio granularity was a major consideration for our strategy. We contemplated the liquidity and dry powder that theoretically might be required, should there be a need to protect the balance sheet for larger multi $100 million loans. We believe that boxing in your designated weight class for loan sized concentrations is a critical part of risk management.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
We must have synergies and buy in across the landscape.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My favorite is another supervisor who practically lists his entire resume in his email signature, in 28pt font.

We joke behind his back because he holds fewer certs than the rest of us who simply have our name, title and contact info in normal font. One day he sent an email to 8 people to let us know something was completed. Our director replied "Good job" in 36pt; another supv replied all in 72pt. And then another. And then I replied "Hell yeah, brother! Good job!" after manually changing the font so that each letter took up a full screen.

I could hear everyone crying with laughter from the front office.

He never figured it out and keeps asking if there is something wrong with our computers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Annoying terms I hear all the time
HR automatons are the worst
=====================
"Lean in"
"Delta"
"By the close of play" << ah yes, I get it you crafty devil, instead of close of business or end of the workday, you've applied a sports twist.  Brilliant.  

"Reach out" particularly grates on me, because of the therapy/cat lady/emotional fragility component.  

But by far, the number one piss off is "I do apologize".  All customer service reps use this term so often it's like the cyclic rate on a CIWS.  Not "I'm sorry", or "sir, you have my apologies" or even "I apologize".  It's "I DO apologize."

My other business pet peeve:  When I get on a remote call and I see a Powerpoint slide with bullet points, I know the idiot presenter is going to read each one to me.  So I can scan them in 20 seconds, then wait 20 minutes while they drone on, reading each one to the audience.  

Sigh.  Finally, the use of the no-spaces-between-words-but-capitalized thing that software has.  So above it would be PowerPoint.  That means my home office must be UpStairs.  My kitchen is DownStairs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This whole post seems tone deaf since the optics are not in confluence with the atmospherics.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m glad I’m not involved in any synergy. That shit sounds annoying.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This whole post seems tone deaf since the optics are not in confluence with the atmospherics.
View Quote

Tone deaf? Really?

Now those that are tone deaf are offended. Can you swing by HR at 1pm and bring a rep with you?

Collaborate is my favorite one they like to use. Collaborate but really let's not have actual collaboration.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
"Synergy" is cringe to hear in the office these days, it's essentially a late 80's early 90's buzzword

All the rest of the stuff on the first page is pretty normal TBH. "headwinds" and "reach out" is pretty much just plain English.

Spend a day watching Bloomberg and you'll pick up on some of the new jargon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Drill down
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Strategic.  Everything is strategic coming from people who don’t have the sense to develop a strategy to drink a glass of milk.
View Quote

Sounds like a tactical error.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At our work, they like to use the term "delta" in place of saying "difference". Some groups are worst than others trying to sound smarter than they are rather than just use plain common English words.
View Quote

I frequently use the word Delta, but generally use it to describe the differences in two dollar amounts (although I wouldn't fault someone for using it to describe the overall difference in a quantitative metric)

In terms of "wheelhouse" I don't think that's a bad one either but these days I prefer "Core Competency"

For example I have a supplier which produces widgets in Europe. These are beautiful widgets and they have been producing them for decades.

We recently asked them to produce their widgets but also provide the electronical components which go along with it.

They are now failing and we have very expensive delays as a result. This is all because we essentially asked them to do something outside of their "wheelhouse" or their "core competency"
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
drumbeat

as in "Will continue this drumbeat of discovering details and adding to the report"

It spread like wildfire for the last year with this multinational company...

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
About 5 years back I was at one of those AMA's for a big company.

They had their SVP's on stage answering questions.

They ask the tech guy some questions and he starts throwing out "Lean" and "Agile" because frankly he was in tech and was using the terms appropriately (if not a little sparingly)

Later on they asked a woman who was in marketing a question and she also started throwing out the same terms but was using them completely wrong

I noticed a couple times some of the other execs were looking over at her with a confused look on their faces.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strategic.  Everything is strategic coming from people who don’t have the sense to develop a strategy to drink a glass of milk.

Indeed.  Let's pushpin that and discuss offline while we condition our ask to be more tactical and see if we can give some time back on our later calls.

If the above isn't a direct quote I've heard this week, it's damned close.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
“Stand up”

We are going to stand up a new server / service/ application.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll give your xxx minutes back
Shit at the end of a meeting.

Moving forward...only because the bitch using it, used it as a means to change subjects with out coming to a resolution  on the priority items.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I never heard the 'reach out' until a few years ago.  I thought it was an awkward expression; like it has a too personal attachment to it. Almost like using the phrase 'reach around'.  

'John, you should give him a reach around for doing a good job' or 'they all deserve a reach around'.

Year or so before I retired I started hearing that is a lot to unpack, meaning a convoluted or congested situation.

I could see talking to my wife like that.  She's very OCD and spends a lot of time making lists.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Uhhh... yes?

Maybe we need to blame the Four Tops?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't that just, you know, colloquial english?

Do you often HEAR people walking around saying “I will REACH OUT” to someone?

I don’t.

But thanks for TOUCHING BASE.

Uhhh... yes?

Maybe we need to blame the Four Tops?

or reach out and touch faith?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate when the weather monkeys say "and a rumble of thunder" and it's said almost like it's romantic. Just say thunderstorms are possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hate when the weather monkeys say "and a rumble of thunder" and it's said almost like it's romantic. Just say thunderstorms are possible.
View Quote
Using colorful and descriptive language isn't a bad thing.  Why not just have the METAR scroll by?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
or reach out and touch faith?
View Quote

Things on your chest you need to confess?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you socialized this with the team?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Two current peeves:

"What's the ask?"

and of course... "preferred pronoun" fields
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Isn't that just, you know, colloquial english?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two current peeves:

"What's the ask?"

and of course... "preferred pronoun" fields
View Quote

I don't say it much, but generally if I have to say "What's the Ask" it means the person speaking or writing to me is timidly beating around the bush about what they want I have to force it out of them

Either that or maybe isn't their first language and I'm trying to figure out (literally) what the fuck they are asking me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It’s all so tiresome.

View Quote

I know what you mean...
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Reach out, touch faith..
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The one that usually proceeds this and really chaps my hide is:
"We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volumes..."

LIES.  You cannot have "higher than normal" call volumes every single day you are open, for months or even years on end.  You simply are understaffing your call center for additional profit.
View Quote

Not only that, but the fact that the voicemail states "higher than normal" call volumes means they must have other voicemails with additional explanations. Do they change voicemails throughout the day after analyzing their own response times? Do they have an employee whose job it is to maintain the voicemail posture? Of course not. They set it and leave it for years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not only that, but the fact that the voicemail states "higher than normal" call volumes means they must have other voicemails with additional explanations. Do they change voicemails throughout the day after analyzing their own response times? Do they have an employee whose job it is to maintain the voicemail posture? Of course not. They set it and leave it for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one that usually proceeds this and really chaps my hide is:
"We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volumes..."

LIES.  You cannot have "higher than normal" call volumes every single day you are open, for months or even years on end.  You simply are understaffing your call center for additional profit.

Yup. And it would be one thing if their system ever routed straight to a human maybe when call volumes were not "higher than normal," but I highly, highly doubt they are even set up that way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#32]
recently its been can you get a 'tshirt estimate',, one VP used it now everyone is using it - I guess they mean a ballpark estimate S/M/L/XL that kind of thing
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Instead of saying something like " Touch base with Sally and..."; From now on I'll say "Get to third base with Sally and..."

That should go over well in corporate America.

Most of these buzz words really don't bother me as long as they are used in the correct context.  It is only annoying when idiots misuse them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#35]
"Level Set."

Once I hear this come out of your mouth, or read it in your email, I no longer lend any credance to anything you say.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Huh. Are corporate drone-execs that way because they hire clones or.....
are they that way with their silly expressions and even sillier ideas about pretty much most things managerial because they were taught in school by the same type of idjits?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know why this bothers me so much but a coworker started recently referring to employees as "big hitters"

We were talking about personnel and in the span of about 30 seconds, he referred to a good employee as a "big hitter" then a bad employee as "not a big hitter".

Perhaps it's his overuse that vexes me so.

That, and I'm almost certain the reason he started using it is because we recently learned our boss is a big baseball fan.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#38]
team players = bunch of you mfs are not doing your jobs.

think outside the box = our processes do not work

do me a solid = I want you to do my job for me

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you often HEAR people walking around saying “I will REACH OUT” to someone?

I don’t.

But thanks for TOUCHING BASE.

View Quote

Interesting.  Been a phrase I've heard my whole life from school till work?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#40]
synergistically visualize equity invested sprints

https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I put together action plans all the time, I just don't call them that
View Quote

"Fixing fuck-ups"
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Guys.  People talk how they talk.  One of my superpowers has
been to find out how people talk and use their talk.  
It's how you get the edge.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What are some of your favs?

Mine is “reach out.”

“John, can you REACH OUT to operational engineering please?  These figures for the fuel consumption rate appear wrong.”

“If you have any questions, please REACH OUT to me.”

Etc. etc.

It’s tarded.

Of course this often gets combined with “touch base” and if there are salutations with preferred pronouns it becomes a trifecta of tardation.

It’s all so tiresome.

Please REACH OUT and tell us your favs!

View Quote

That was the first idiom that came to mind…
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#44]
LOL.

3 pages in and pretty much every figure of speech is now listed.  

Oh well.  "What's the ask" is one that sorta annoys me, but I get it's often shorthand for "What do you need me to do".  

A lot of it is just short-hand speak.  Action items... it's faster than saying "the list of things to follow up on".   Touch base... faster than saying "I'll see if I can contact him through various means of communication".  I guess you can really worked up over it if you need to but people will keep on doing it as they have been for all of time.

Now there are some truly pointless ones out there.  "This will help us develop efficiencies", "At this time we have no plans to xxxxxxxxx", "Human capitol (I'm not your fucking property)", "Inclusivity", "Be aware of your unconscious bias (uhhhmmm words mean things)".
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What are some of your favs?

Mine is "reach out."

"John, can you REACH OUT to operational engineering please?  These figures for the fuel consumption rate appear wrong."

"If you have any questions, please REACH OUT to me."

Etc. etc.

It's tarded.

Of course this often gets combined with "touch base" and if there are salutations with preferred pronouns it becomes a trifecta of tardation.

It's all so tiresome.

Please REACH OUT and tell us your favs!

View Quote

This "Reach Out" is tits:

Levi Stubbs "Reach Out Ill Be There" Live 1966

Email "Reach Out" is "ENGLISH Motherfucker, DO YOU SPEAK IT!!!!"

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"What's the ask?"
View Quote

“Im not telling” should always be the response.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guys.  People talk how they talk.  One of my superpowers has
been to find out how people talk and use their talk.  
It's how you get the edge.
View Quote

Shhhhh..
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]
“Double click” meaning to look closer at.

Some douches now use triple click for really investigating.

Is triple click even a UI think or is that just spamming the mouse button hoping something happens?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top